Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm hoping we can eventually get our fighters to be faster than our battlefleet, rather than the other way around. :D

Haven't seen any sign of Stuckenschmidt since the battle... was he lynched by a mob, as a suspected Prix sympathizer?

Just popping in to ask two strange questions: When did you guys get transferred into the WW Forum? and Is this some sort of Internet Spaceships thing, like EvE Online? :D

Yesterday. It is a menu/spreadsheet driven space 4X game and blue emu is doing an interactive AAR game, there are screenshots on the first page that give a good idea about the game.

Talking about mineral shortage are you purchasing the civilian mining one and what is your actual stocks situation ?

Where is your next best mining location and what about your Geologist team, they seems disappeared ?

If you still have many location to geo-survey you could consider creating a second team too.

I am not purchasing the civilian mining output, no... that's 250 bucks, per mine, per mining location. It would quickly bankrupt us. Titania and Titan are both pretty good. Our Geologist team is working on one body at a time... currently on Titan (IIRC). We have between 10,000 and 20,000 of nearly every mineral. more than that of Tritanium, Earth's ores have been exhausted for four elements and another will run out this year and still another next year... other ore reserves on Earth are running down, too.

We have 6 million Sorium and 5 million Gallicite on Mars, along with three other mineral in quantites exceeding 100,000. Dravar XV has several minerals in hundreds of millions of tons, but the 10% concentration renders them pretty useless. Venus is about the same, but in ten-million ton quantites and 10%-20% concentrations. A last resort. Titan has two minerals in the 5-million ton region and another four between 80-k and 500-k, with concentrations up to 90%. Titania has eight minerals in concentrations from 60%-80% and quantities from several thousand to a third of a million tons. Io, Callisto, Dione, The Nexus and Sigma Draconis typically have fewer minerals but massive quantities... concentrations vary.

Re: medals

One point that we need to bear in mind is that the game interface seems to give each Officer only one "row" on which to hang his medals... so we should probably try to limit the number we hand out.

I would assume its still common for ranking field(System) Officer to steal all glory his subordinates are responsible for :rolleyes:

This is a reasonable point. Traditionally, if a battle is lost, the officer in command ends up shouldering much of the blame, even if it wasn't, strictly speaking, his fault. So it is only fair that if a battle turns into a glorious victory, the officer in command should get much of the credit. We can create a "Command Ribbon" for successfully leading a squadron to victory in battle.

On the other hand, given the limited number of medals that each character can receive and the fact that only one officer is "in command" of the squadron, perhaps once a particular officer (in this case, Edzako) has won a Command Ribbon, he should allow the number-2 (Autonomous, in this case) to command the next battle, to give him a chance of winning some honors.

What about a sharpshooter medal for those who are confirmed as not missing a shot.

Your Gunnery Officer had missed with several shots earlier... it was the last three salvos that were perfect scores. Given the random nature of the combat (and the fact that your to-Hit approachs or exceeds 100% when shooting at vessels that have been slowed by engine damage), we would end up handing out an awful lot of them over the course of a long campaign.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the game allows me to hand out "Knight-hoods" as well as medals. So an officer who has won particular distinction in battle might gain a Knight-hood. Alice, perhaps?

Last edited:
As the Fleet makes its way back to Earth for repairs, replenishment and overhaul, a force of Troop Transports has been dispatched to Sigma Draconis, carrying Assault Troops, Marine Battalions and Engineers... in preparation for a later assault on the remaining Prix stronghold in the Wolf 294 system.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the game allows me to hand out "Knight-hoods" as well as medals. So an officer who has won particular distinction in battle might gain a Knight-hood. Alice, perhaps?

I like the idea behind this, kind of establishing a strong sense of military camaraderie among those that were so honored with knighthoods.

P.S. Is it possible for me to rename my scout ship and if so what are the naming conventions that must be upheld (of course no " ESN UbERLeeeeetshipzors" ect.)?

Ser Alice Bryant, I like the sound of that.

Edit: Oh and, can I be some old traditional guy who sits in a castle and hands out the knighthoods ? I probably won't take any bribes :D

I like the idea behind this, kind of establishing a strong sense of military camaraderie among those that were so honored with knighthoods.

P.S. Is it possible for me to rename my scout ship and if so what are the naming conventions that must be upheld (of course no " ESN UbERLeeeeetshipzors" ect.)?

Grav-Scout ships are traditionally named after Astronomers, Physicists, Scientists, etc. Occasional exceptions can be made, though, and some other non-standard name is sometimes approved. Warships (ie: ARMED ships) should stick to their official naming conventions... since in the confusion of battle it is a considerable help to me if I know immediately from glancing at a report just what sort of ship it involves (eg: the name "Komodo" must refer to a Reptile-class Mine-Layer because a Komodo is a reptile, "Agincourt" must refer to a Battle-class Heavy Cruiser because Agincourt was a famous battle, "Vesuvius" must refer to a Mountain-class Carrier, "Polaris" must refer to a Star-class Destroyer, etc).

Oh and, can I be some old traditional guy who sits in a castle and hands out the knighthoods ? I probably won't take any bribes

My main concern would be that you might hand them out too freely... I'd like to keep honors rather rare, so that they don't depreciate in value.

Which does not mean no custom-naming; at least one of the four examples Blue Emu gave above - Polaris - is a custom name. Just a custom name that fits the nomenclature.

In other news, what about a retroactive posthumous medal for our KIA geo-scouts?

As the Fleet makes its way back to Earth for repairs, replenishment and overhaul, a force of Troop Transports has been dispatched to Sigma Draconis, carrying Assault Troops, Marine Battalions and Engineers... in preparation for a later assault on the remaining Prix stronghold in the Wolf 294 system.

Any of us player characters with that force?

Colonel OrangeYoshi has been placed in command of the 39th Space Marine Battalion, currently en-route to Sigma Draconis A-II to prepare for the occupation of the Prix outpost in the Wolf 294 system. That operation is tentatively scheduled for somewhere between one-and-a-half and three years from now. If it goes according to script, the Space Marines will drop onto the planet from Drop-Ships, forming a beach-head for follow-up troops to land by Naval Auxiliary Transport Ships.

Other Ground Forces leaders may request transfers to the Wolf 294 Expeditionary Force. No hurry. The Fleet hasn't even arrived back at Earth yet.

Here is a possible design for a Bombardment Cruiser. The over-sized Fire Control allows it to stand off 50 m-km and still get a lock on an ECM-40 target. Magazine space for 52 rounds with size-9 warheads. Armored, but no PD. Fleet speed. Can jump with a Command Cruiser (eg: does not require Agincourt for extraction).

Culverin class Bombardment Cruiser 14,000 tons 1710 Crew 2207.2 BP TCS 280 TH 570 EM 300
4071 km/s Armour 4-51 Shields 10-300 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 12 PPV 96
Annual Failure Rate: 130% IFR: 1.8% Maint Capacity 1182 MSP Max Repair 54 MSP Est Time: 5.29 Years
Magazine 416

Ion Engine E7 (19) Power 60 Fuel Use 70% Signature 30 Armour 0 Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 400,000 Litres Range 73.5 billion km (208 days at full power)
Gamma R300/16 Shields (5) Total Fuel Cost 80 Litres per day

Size 8 Missile Launcher (12) Missile Size 8 Rate of Fire 80
Missile Fire Control FC85-R140 (2) Range 85.2m km Resolution 140
Size 8c Anti-ship Missile (52) Speed: 24,000 km/s End: 34.2m Range: 49.2m km WH: 9 Size: 8 TH: 144 / 86 / 43

Active Search Sensor MR51-R140 (1) GPS 7560 Range 51.1m km Resolution 140

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Comments?

Yeah, is 12th Mobile Infantry Battalion in the invasion/ mop up force? BTW, A_Dane you are also stationd on The Nexus. What unit are you in?

I'm in charge of the 20th assault infantry* not marines :p

Also, I'd like for a transfer to this expedition against the prix's outpost, after seeing the glory of the navy, I want some action as well :p

EDIT: I forgot, isn't the nexus out there abouts anyway? Anyway, I'd like to be included :p

Also, I'd like for a transfer to this expedition against the prix's outpost, after seeing the glory of the navy, I want some action as well :p

Yeah, my unit also wants to volunteer for this duty, but if i understood blue emu correctly, the invasion force will head off from Earth. We are stationed on The Nexus.

The Space Marines are just the first wave, to drop from orbit, establish a beach-head, and directly assault the PDCs. Marines are quadrupled (?) against PDCs. The follow-up waves will be Heavy Assault Troops (Armor), Assault Infantry, Mobile Infantry and (after the battle is over) Garrison Troops.

I will transfer you guys when I get a chance... no hurry. The operation cannot be launched for more than a year.

Yeah, my unit also wants to volunteer for this duty, but if i understood blue emu correctly, the invasion force will head off from Earth. We are stationed on The Nexus.

We have plenty of time to shuffle our troops around and prepare for the operation. Don't sweat it.

The over-sized Fire Control allows it to stand off 50 m-km and still get a lock on an ECM-40 target.
You're gonna need it sorely if there are missile-armed PDCs on the Prix planet.
You might even need some PD for them - but of course, beam ships accompanying them and the occasioynl CIWS should help.

No need to mention that it's wise to make absolutely sure there's no "ship" left on the surface before sending the troops transport - which means sending a ship with all sensors active right to the planet to scout it from 1000km or less.