• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
FYROM said:
I've been using the path tool to draw curvy lines, then sticking a triangle on the end and giving it a bevel/emboss to make it stand out. I just muddled together a method through trial and error (you should have seen my early attempts at arrows :p ), but try googling "drawing curved lines in photoshop", that helped out a good bit.

FYROM, you can expect to see quite a bit of this in my AAR once I master the technique. Your maps are first rate - I am in perpetual awe of your graphical prowess.

Also, the illustrations you choose are very exciting, believable and really move your story forward. I especially like the image you chose for Veeruiters in the Ohio River Valley, 1672.

Keep it up!

fyrom i have to say:
this remains one of my favorite AAR's and i've been reading a lot of them lately

good job on the war effort so far, and glad to see you didn't need naval bombers for the royal navy

good luck on the rest of the war

(btw: very realistic treatment of the Netherlands)

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS!

with the History-Book award! And it doesn't matter that it is a shared place, it is still a well deserved award :).

Great updates :). But watch out for that high warscore... A lot of rebellions can break loose, and before you know it, your busy restoring order for the next 20 years!

Chapter 32 – The First World War (1671-1674)

The Bishops’ Interruption

pbofliegeyb2.gif

Archbishop Heinzinger of Münster-Osnabrück

As the 1672 campaign season got off to a successful start in Iberia, back in the Low Countries Stadtholder Schouten decided that he could risk committing his reserves to clearing Great Britain’s French possessions. Stretching two hundred miles from the medieval city of Troyes to Clermont, the so-called “Bourgogne Corridor” was a chain of bishoprics, parishes and ecclesiastic properties technically administered by the Pope in Canterbury, but in truth belonging to the British crown. The territories were Emperor George’s prime recruiting ground on the Continent, and already Frederick William, 3rd Viscount Beresford had raised 26,000 French troops in the region. So far diplomatic disagreements with the French government prevented Beresford’s army from marching on the Netherlands, but it still hung like a sword pointed at Breda.

Until now Schouten had kept the Army of Brabant in the Netherlands in case of a cross Channel invasion, but with the blockade of Britain holding it was free to use against the Bourgogne. After taking personal command of the army, Schouten began assembling its regiments on the southern border. As was common practice, quartermaster agents were sent ahead into the foreign territories that the army would have to cross in order to prepare stockpiles of supplies along the route. While the communities along the way were offered some compensation for the goods requisitioned, it was generally understood that they had little choice in the matter. As a member of the States-General, Hainault would be exempt from providing supplies, while the King of France was only too happy to allow the Dutch through his territory if it meant the humiliation of his enemy Emperor George. However, the road through Hainault to Troyes only had enough capacity for half of Schouten’s army. In order for the other half to reach the battlefield, a second road would be needed, and the only available one ran through the hostile Prince-Bishopric of Liege.

As preparations for the march got underway, Schouten’s agents informed Prince-Bishop Georges that the eastern wing of the Army of Brabant would be passing through his territory in July and would require supplies for 14,000 men and fodder for their pack animals, for which the Bishop would be duly compensated. Georges refused to provide any assistance to a Justifier army, and turned to the Imperial Episcopal College for help. Currently led by Archbishop Heinzinger of Münster, the College represented the remaining Catholic bishoprics with the Holy Roman Empire. Heinzinger issued a warning to the Netherlands that any assault on Church authorities would bring terrible repercussions. Unfazed by the response, Schouten replied that his forces would bypass the city of Liege, but he would treat any property outside the city’s walls as fair game.

warninghm2.jpg

By the end of June the Army of Brabant was ready to march on Troyes. With the west wing of the army already en route through Hainault, the east wing crossed the frontier into Liege on July 1. Outside of the town of Bilzen the army’s lead elements skirmished with a troop of the Prince-Bishop’s cavalry, driving back the defenders after a brief battle. By July 5 the Archbishop Heinzinger declared war on the United Provinces, and was quickly joined by the Archbishops of Magdeburg and Würzburg and an official declaration from Bishop Georges. At the head of the west wing in Hainault, Stadtholder Schouten turned his forces around to deal with the threat to his rear.

munsterwarla5.jpg

The east wing continued towards Liege with a new purpose. The city was surrounded a week later, and after a brief siege fell to the Dutch army. During the capture of the city, the army’s commanders lost control of their troops, resulting in a massacre of the civilian population. The cathedrals of St. Paul and St. Lambert were both looted and their reliquaries smashed, while the Prince-Bishop’s Palace was put to the torch. Fires spread along the Maas riverfront, destroying several hundred buildings. In the aftermath, the Bishopric’s territories were placed under a military governor from Breda to ensure access to the highway south.

sackofliegeiv6.jpg

Sack of Liege, July 1672

Meanwhile, Schouten’s west wing managed to drive Catholic troops out of East Frisia with the help of allied forces from Cleves, and was driving towards Münster and Osnabrück. Attempting to escape the approaching Dutch army, Archbishop Heinzinger fled towards friendly territory in Bremen. However, on the highway several miles outside Osnabrück his convoy was attacked by a Dutch cavalry detachment. Not recognizing the archbishop’s personal carriage the Dutch captain ordered no quarter, resulting in Heinzinger’s death along with his men. Only afterwards did the cavalrymen realize their mistake, but by then the deed was done.

deathofheinzingeryl1.jpg

Death of Archbishop Heinzinger on the Osnabrück Highway

The savagery of the sack of Liege and the violent death of Archbishop Heinzinger horrified the other bishoprics, and they were quick to settle for peace with the United Provinces. Liege would remain under a Dutch military governor, while a “Hessian” council was established to govern the former territories of the late Heinzinger. With the War of the Bishops winding down by September it was too late in the season for Schouten to resume the march on Troyes, so the Army of Brabant returned to its barracks for the winter. While on the surface the brief conflict seemed like a mild inconvenience for the Netherlands, the shock of Heinzinger and Liege would echo across Europe as a blight on the traditionally impeccable Dutch reputation. It was becoming apparent that this was no minor squabble over colonies across the sea, and that a true shift in power was occurring. It remained to be seen where the balance of power would end up.

Next – Upsetting the Balance

I can't wait to see what you have planned to upset the balance...
I mean, you just killed an archbishop!! On the side of the road!
Very intriguing... I like that it is similar to the start of "real" world wars...

Miscreant said:
FYROM, you can expect to see quite a bit of this in my AAR once I master the technique. Your maps are first rate - I am in perpetual awe of your graphical prowess.

Also, the illustrations you choose are very exciting, believable and really move your story forward. I especially like the image you chose for Veeruiters in the Ohio River Valley, 1672.

Keep it up!

Glad to help out a fellow WritAAR. So far I've liked the illustrations in your AAR, the method of including the writing in the picture is very cool. And the picture of the Veeruiters is actually of Cossacks in the Caucasus in the 1850s - at least their fur hats aren't too noticable :D

Frozen_Predator said:
fyrom i have to say:
this remains one of my favorite AAR's and i've been reading a lot of them lately

good job on the war effort so far, and glad to see you didn't need naval bombers for the royal navy

good luck on the rest of the war

(btw: very realistic treatment of the Netherlands)

Bombers would certainly come in handy, I wouldn't have to worry about a French backstab for one thing. I guess I could wish for a panzer division or two while I'm at it.

Enewald said:
A long march through America.

But is it worth it?

How many shall return home alive?

So long as the Dutch are victorious, any amount of casualties are acceptable!

Monnikje said:
CONGRATULATIONS!

with the History-Book award! And it doesn't matter that it is a shared place, it is still a well deserved award :).

Great updates :). But watch out for that high warscore... A lot of rebellions can break loose, and before you know it, your busy restoring order for the next 20 years!

Thank you! I've got a pretty good handle on rebellions, but my bad boy is getting (relatively) astronomical. A republic on hard difficulty doesn't get much wiggle room in world conquest.

Fools!

And to think it could have all been avoided if they had just kept their head low...

Now, the Bourgogne Corridor will be captured, and France will declare war?! :eek:

FYROM said:
So long as the Dutch are victorious, any amount of casualties are acceptable!

You should think that the Dutch would be more carefull with there men...

How many KIA do you already have?

FYROM said:

Knocking out the English are we?

mmm, it seems were you quite inspired by the sack of magedeburg (piccie of that? guessing by the COA) although in your parallel universe, the pillage had a completely opposite effect in the short-term to Tilly.

your skill in weaving elements of real history into your imaginary world makes for an amazing read and a completely plausible feel is given. well done good sir, you are not only demonstrating your superb writing skill but also your firm grasp of history ;)

I keep being astonished at the quality of your updates FYROM. Truly your writing is amongst the best on this board, as well as your maps and how your pics go with the story. Keep it up!

heh, it seems that the bishops want a peice of the action, but they underestimated the dutch and dearly paid for thier actions.

Let's hope that other minors don't try the same thing.

comagoosie said:
heh, it seems that the bishops want a peice of the action, but they underestimated the dutch and dearly paid for thier actions.

Let's hope that other minors don't try the same thing.

Why not? The more action the better ;)