A Fanatic Materialist country will be humiliated simply because synthetic ascension?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

luanmameili[LM]

Major
82 Badges
Nov 15, 2016
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
Here the opinion of Holy Guardians towards player is -100
01.jpg

02.jpg

Such warning will be triggered if their opinion is worse than -99.

03.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually Synths don't have an internal world, so their is no humiliation. Its actually a teaching moment to keep other nations from committing mass suicide.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
It goes the other way, too. Materialist FEs will declare punishment wars against spiritualist empires. Had it happen to one of my vassals in a recent game.

Reactions:
Hilariously, in a recent game I got that humiliation CB and -- in the same month -- acquired the Head of Zarqlon.

So the exact same FE which just humiliated me is now begging to send fleets to serve me.

There should really be some special code for that situation.

• 8Haha
Reactions:
Whether or not it's intentional doesn't change the fact that it's bad design. You shouldn't be forced to accept significant penalties or an unwinnable war by completing your ascension.

You could always convert to non-fanatic materialist first, or change your ascension plans when you realise that there's a Spiritualist FE.

If your entire game-plan doesn't have to change based on circumstances after empire creation, arguably that's worse game design, surely?

Reactions:
It goes the other way, too. Materialist FEs will declare punishment wars against spiritualist empires. Had it happen to one of my vassals in a recent game.

What would provoke the Materialists into attacking?

If you're a Fanatic, an opposite ethic FE will get a -40 modifier against you, but that's not enough for war on its own. It's the specific combination of -40 for ethics, -20 for generic dislike of synth empires and -40 extra Spiritualist FE hatred of synths that pushes you into an endless punishment loop.

The other slightly weird one is the Xenophile FE: they get a -40 against Barbaric Despoilers, whereas they don't have a base opinion modifier against outright genocidal civics as far as I can tell.

What would provoke the Materialists into attacking?

If you're a Fanatic, an opposite ethic FE will get a -40 modifier against you, but that's not enough for war on its own. It's the specific combination of -40 for ethics, -20 for generic dislike of synth empires and -40 extra Spiritualist FE hatred of synths that pushes you into an endless punishment loop.

The other slightly weird one is the Xenophile FE: they get a -40 against Barbaric Despoilers, whereas they don't have a base opinion modifier against outright genocidal civics as far as I can tell.
Honestly? I don't know. Since the war dec was on the vassal and not me, I didn't have that insight. The vassal had not made any claims on FE territory as far as I could tell. It was showing up as a punitive war, so the FE was mad about something. Either that or it's a bug.

Genocidal civics don't get dinged for having the civic. They get dinged for purging.

Barbaric Despoilers are something of an edge case, by contrast - aside from the "slaving" portion, they also need a ding for the fact that they're stealing pops without being the Observers, and they made the civic the problem (though they probably should have instead made Raiding bombardment carry a penalty, maybe it was easier to penalize the civic).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Honestly? I don't know. Since the war dec was on the vassal and not me, I didn't have that insight. The vassal had not made any claims on FE territory as far as I could tell. It was showing up as a punitive war, so the FE was mad about something. Either that or it's a bug.
Subject, especially the one of player do really have rather high opinion of themself so at some point they will just provoke FE whether through claim or just plain insult because they thought they (means you, the overlord) is strong enough to spank FE.

nah id win.jpg