• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope somebody can help me with this. After installing all the mod files in their proper place (using v1.31), I start the game. Upon startup it flashes a blue screen, a color similar to the backdrop on posts in this thread, and minimizes. It does not close, it does not give me an error report. It minimizes. I have tried reinstalling the files multiple times with no luck. I think it may have something to do with a "Thumbs.db" file, which has no instructions on where it should be placed and which Windows warns me may cause programs to stop working correctly. I tried excluding that file from the directories of Darkest Hour, but the problem still occurs. Any suggestions?

I have not come across this issue and im not sure what this Thumbs.db file is? Are you sure you have followed the instructions correctly? You need to put the files in the relevant places within the mods folder in darkest hour full.

Some things:

1. Can Germany intervene in the Spanish Civil War as a democracy or monarchy?
2. If Hitler is forced out, could there be an event that makes him the leader of a Nazi Austria?

Hm. Not sure what I did wrong, but there must have been something. At any rate, I found and cleared out four separate instances of this Thumbs.db file, now the game works perfectly. Well done!

Thumbs.db is a file created by Windows to save the thumbnails of the pictures inside the folder. To stop them being created, change your folder view from "icons/thumbnails/tiles" to "list/details".

Top marks on this mod, it really is a great piece of work so far. While I have only played up to '41 I do have some suggestions. Firstly the Transylvania event for Hungary should be expanded, given that a democratic Germany would (in my mind) been reluctant to back Horthy's claims against Romania, some choice in regards to that event would be cool. Also the Spanish civil war event for Germany needs reworking as there is no choice to support the republicans which should really be an option. No doubt you have considered these already but I thought I would put that out there ;)

Once again well done on this work and best of luck with your efforts to improve future versions.

Version 1.41 is finished and available from the first page.
The main focus has been making the different coalitions more distinct by having events and decisions exclusive for each government. details can be found on reply #217

improvements not mentioned there are that bringing back the monarchy is now a decision rather than an event
also fixed the unsustainable trades the soviets used to give germany and end them if you side with the allies
furthermore, the spanish civil war intervention suggested by Bonafacio has been implemented, thanks for that!

On the issue of balkans, eastern europe, yugoslavia conflicts, for now they are on the back burner. I am confident that now the mod is finished insofar as it delivers a democratic germany with a decent alternative timeline. i intend to take a short break now as i've been really busy on the last few updates. however, in the future, i could look at balkan conflicts and events as suggested by ger and Sarah-Tang. answering Sakura_F, spanish civil war intervention added and events could be added to make hitler in charge in austria, however, only a year later there is the austrian plebiscite so i dont see the point really!

thanks for the suggestions and feedback!

Last edited:
Are there surrender events in this mod? Because I play now as democratic Germany, I choose France and UK as allies, when war erupted with USSR in 1942, first soviets managed to annex Poland and czhehoslovakia and then I manage to turn tide of the war. Well I drove soviets out of european part of Soviet Union, but still no surrender event.

The surrender events are in, for allied victory it is the same conditions as the "a bitter peace" event. The conditions for allied surrender revolves around Berlin falling into soviet hands. Does Poland exist? Because the soviet surrender involves cities like Moscow and Leningrad falling into polish hands.

The surrender events are in, for allied victory it is the same conditions as the "a bitter peace" event. The conditions for allied surrender revolves around Berlin falling into soviet hands. Does Poland exist? Because the soviet surrender involves cities like Moscow and Leningrad falling into polish hands.

He said Poland was annexed, so probably not. You could change the trigger to say the allies control the Soviet territories and not just Poland.

I'm definitely getting a kick out of this mod, but after 2 games playing until 1943 I'm noticing some annoying problems.

First is that if Czechoslovakia is Paternal Autocrat (via elections) it seems to like leaving the Allies (after the event that brings them and the Poles into the Allies) if there doesn't happen to be a war on. Second, Poland apparently likes to leave the allies, too (this happened my second game). This generally results in the USSR declaring war on Poland eventually. However, since France and maybe some others have guarantees on Poland, this can result in a declaration of war by France or someone else on the USSR, which starts to make things get kinda sloppy in terms of AI behavior and events. However, the event regarding the war in Poland (with the option "stay out of it" being the only option I as germany had) that fires for the UK, France, and Germany causes any of the aforementioned to leave their alliance (resulting in the Allies not including the Brits and French, or germans for that matter)

Since in my second game by the time war came to Poland, Japan had already initiated war against the US and the allies, this created significant difficulties. First, the USSR doesn't seemingly care they've just signed a peace treaty with you, they'll just declare war now that you've just left the allies and are bereft of friends because of the goofy events that months or weeks earlier saw you in an alliance but have now forced you arbitrarily out. Second, since the "allies" were briefly at war with the Soviets, that means, say, Czechoslovakia is still in the war (if they joined/stayed in the Allies), along with every other allied nation but those that got the event that concludes peace with the soviets/tells the country to leave their alliance (at the moment, Australia is the leader of the allies). Third, although I'm at war with Japan "together" with Britain, France, and the rest of the gang, since I'm not longer technically a part of the allies, I don't have military access, and so my fancy new kriegsmarine (with two carrier task forces and two surface action groups!) is useless since god knows a powerful navy doesn't really help much against the USSR.

tl;dr the war/peace events surrounding going to war with the USSR over Poland are a little sloppy. 1. make anti-soviet alliance with Germany, Poland, and Czechoslovakia. 2. Poland and Czechoslovakia like to leave the alliance depending on their government type (or whatever other invisible factors there are). 3. War happens anyway. 4. Ensuing peace events are for individual nations rather than the entire alliance and can make it more likely for the USSR to expand aggressively even if Poland isn't yet annexed.

I'm definitely getting a kick out of this mod, but after 2 games playing until 1943 I'm noticing some annoying problems.

First is that if Czechoslovakia is Paternal Autocrat (via elections) it seems to like leaving the Allies (after the event that brings them and the Poles into the Allies) if there doesn't happen to be a war on. Second, Poland apparently likes to leave the allies, too (this happened my second game). This generally results in the USSR declaring war on Poland eventually. However, since France and maybe some others have guarantees on Poland, this can result in a declaration of war by France or someone else on the USSR, which starts to make things get kinda sloppy in terms of AI behavior and events. However, the event regarding the war in Poland (with the option "stay out of it" being the only option I as germany had) that fires for the UK, France, and Germany causes any of the aforementioned to leave their alliance (resulting in the Allies not including the Brits and French, or germans for that matter)

Since in my second game by the time war came to Poland, Japan had already initiated war against the US and the allies, this created significant difficulties. First, the USSR doesn't seemingly care they've just signed a peace treaty with you, they'll just declare war now that you've just left the allies and are bereft of friends because of the goofy events that months or weeks earlier saw you in an alliance but have now forced you arbitrarily out. Second, since the "allies" were briefly at war with the Soviets, that means, say, Czechoslovakia is still in the war (if they joined/stayed in the Allies), along with every other allied nation but those that got the event that concludes peace with the soviets/tells the country to leave their alliance (at the moment, Australia is the leader of the allies). Third, although I'm at war with Japan "together" with Britain, France, and the rest of the gang, since I'm not longer technically a part of the allies, I don't have military access, and so my fancy new kriegsmarine (with two carrier task forces and two surface action groups!) is useless since god knows a powerful navy doesn't really help much against the USSR.

tl;dr the war/peace events surrounding going to war with the USSR over Poland are a little sloppy. 1. make anti-soviet alliance with Germany, Poland, and Czechoslovakia. 2. Poland and Czechoslovakia like to leave the alliance depending on their government type (or whatever other invisible factors there are). 3. War happens anyway. 4. Ensuing peace events are for individual nations rather than the entire alliance and can make it more likely for the USSR to expand aggressively even if Poland isn't yet annexed.

Fixed!
Version 1.43 available from first page includes fixes to all issues stated here...
- 0% chance ai for uk and france will not join war
- to war event renews alliance with czechs and poland
If allies stay together, as they do now, all problems with access, ussr and japan are solved!

the austrian plebiscite is named sudetenland plebiscite in the game,
# Austrian Plebiscite
event = {
id = 9876565
random = no
country = GER
date = { day = 5 month = may year = 1938 }
name = "Sudetenland Plebiscite"
desc = "In early 1938, Germany raised the issue of anchluss at the League of Nations. It was agreed that under the principle of self-determination, the Austrians should be permitted to choose their own fate. Unsuprisingly, the vast majority of them voted to join Germany in the subsequent plebiscite."

change that please?