• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow that's quite a list... This promises to be a nice patch (and DLC) I'm looking forward to it.

Nice, ... would Tanistry also work as the 'pseudo-elective' succession many thrones had in the later part of the game, where it de jure were elective, but de facto was more of a hereditary kingdom, with the kingdom staying within said family
Regarding the latter I'm wondering that too, but I'm not sure Tanistry would be the best way to represent this, since that basically was a de jure elective monarchy with a de facto primogeniture succession.

Didn't make sense anyhow with HRE only rarely actually ruling those parts
I beg to differ, historically for the larger part of the timespan covered by the game the HRE did rule these areas. Certainly when the in game kingdom covers Saxony, Meissen, Brandenburg and Mecklenburg (IMHO especially the first three should belong to the German Kingdom; but one can debate over Mecklenburg). Pomerania and Pomeralia initially went to Poland, but at the end of the period covered the former also was a part of the HRE.
Alternatively the change in the de jure set up, with the Wendic kingdom of Pomerania being divided between Poland and the HRE (Germany) could be scripted into the history files of the duchy titles.

good, helps stop the gamey 'accept independence, war each isolated with superior forces' that specially AI HRE loves doing in Italy

I also not agree with your HRE in Italy example, but that's in part on how the game handles the relationship between the HRE and Italy. To use game terms historically the kingdom of Italy was a de jure part of the HRE with the elected Roman-German king (elected by the electoral nobles of the German Kingdom (initially including the duchy of Bohemia and later together with the kingdom of Bohemia)) also becoming king of Italy (at least not directly elected).
Maybe instead to represent the 'de jure' relationship the HRE had with the Italy and Burgundy, it perhaps should get it's own 'imperial' CB. Obviously this should be limited to those kingdoms (Italy and Burgundy), which historically were a part of the HRE, but in game aren't. Furthermore it should be restricted to certain conditions, only successful should be able to put them back into the fold; finally on victory they should return as vassal. So basically a way to mimic a de jure cb (under certain conditions) for the HRE in these areas, which for gameplay reasons aren't made a part of the HRE.

Last edited:
Is Tanistry the election amongst the potential heirs?

Kinda..

Tanistry succession is described as “a version of Feudal Elective where the electors must pick a member of your dynasty, but will tend to pick distant relatives, preferably old claimants.” So you can have the benefits of Elective succession (which I almost always use to prevent cases of a half-witted jackass of an eldest son inheriting), but avoid the biggest risk inherent in it: that someone outside your dynasty might be elected, costing you the game. The bit about distant, older claimants seems a bit more like a balancing measure to keep Feudal Elective a viable choice than any sort of logical simulation, however.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/10/c...developer-diaries-detail-delightful-deviance/

Regarding the latter I'm wondering that too, but I'm not sure Tanistry would be the best way to represent this, since that basically was a de jure elective monarchy with a de facto primogeniture succession.

While not common it wasn't unheard of that someone not de facto primogeniture heir, would inherit a throne in one of those pseudo-elective realms ...

- Added a 'Grant Independence' diplomatic interaction
I assume this will be a general feature not locked to the expansion?
- Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege
It would be nice to have an option for titles to display as one culture (either your own or a pre-selected one) across the map. Trying to figure out what the Western European equivalent of the Islamic titles is already enough trouble (I'll feature request it after the 1.09 release).
- Added a max demesne size bonus (+1) for dukes with more than one duchy
Is that +1 demesne size as long as you hold >1 duchy or is it +1 demesne size per subsequent duchy? I can only hope it's the former rather than the latter otherwise Super Dukes become even more of a chore to deal with.
- All merc regiments now grow in max size over time
- Added more mercenary bands: Finns, Lapps, Abyssinians, Nubians, Lithuanians, Scots, Irish and Alans
Good to see these. Mercs might now be useful beyond the 12th century.
- AI: Infinitesimal chance that the AI will fold to faction demands from tiny factions
I guess infinitesimal is better than the current system of the AI not even being aware that the option exists.
- Fixed issue where character browser was showing some rulers when set to "all characters" and "no rulers"
Thanks, that's been irritating for quite some time but the character browser could do with some more upgrades
- The pre-spawned 1066 conquest armies in England now suffer normal attrition
- Event spawned civil war armies now suffer normal attrition
Excellent now all we need is for no armies to be exempt from attrition anywhere (looking at you Mongols & Aztecs) & we'll be someway towards an AI that doesn't have to cheat.
- Lowered the inheritance chance a bit for most congenital traits
I hope this fixes the issue where Genius parent(s) were practically guaranteed to have Imbecile children.
- The Traitor opinion is now inherited by ruler successors
I assume this is to address the bug I reported and works both ways (whether the defending ruler has succession or the members of the faction have succession).

That must've been a lot of work...
There's a small suggestion I'd like to make, can you remove or rename the province called Ar'ar in the Arabian peninsula? Ar'ar is a corrupt for a pipeline that passed through the area called R.R.... so you can imagine how old the name is

That must've been a lot of work...
There's a small suggestion I'd like to make, can you remove or rename the province called Ar'ar in the Arabian peninsula? Ar'ar is a corrupt for a pipeline that passed through the area called R.R.... so you can imagine how old the name is

Heh, that is a quite poor choice of name for a medieval province. (According to Wikipedia R.R. is the oil field and not the pipeline.) I recommend reporting such things in the bug forum so it does not get lost.

"- Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege"

Do all titles at all tiers have different cultural names, or only titles that are likely to change cultures?

Alot of features for sure. But it still does not fix the Mac intel HD3000 problem, I can't play longer than a few minutes before the game crashes. In late game about a minute! :sad:

Last edited:
I take it as "all titles at all tiers have the potential of having different cultural names, but in actuality only a few of the most likely have been coded in."

- Reversed the order of rulers in the Title History View (latest now on top)
booooooooooooooooo

I take it as "all titles at all tiers have the potential of having different cultural names, but in actuality only a few of the most likely have been coded in."
Probably. I've already got a huge listing of names for some of the most relevant areas where conquest resulted in major name changes (Asia Minor, Pommerania/Baltics) so anything that won't make it in I'll probably mod in - might release it as a mod :)

"- Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege"

Do all titles at all tiers have different cultural names, or only titles that are likely to change cultures?

I think right now the title depended on the rulers culture not the highest liege. so for instance a Levantine catholic duke would still be called sultan even if his liege was greek . now he'll be doux just like the rest of them

Heh, that is a quite poor choice of name for a medieval province. (According to Wikipedia R.R. is the oil field and not the pipeline.) I recommend reporting such things in the bug forum so it does not get lost.

Good luck with that. I posted a bug with screenshots for proof that character finder windows were having the green check marks that mark people who would accept an invitation to your court bleed over onto other characters when you scroll. Not only did it get lost and never addressed, they actually changed the forum policies that stated all issues would get some sort of response when I complained that I hadn't gotten any response. As far as I know, it's still not fixed several versions later.

Alot of features for sure. But it still does not fix the Mac intel HD3000 problem, I can't play longer than a few minutes before the game crashes. In late game about a minute! :sad:

Unless that also happens on Windows it's a driver issue which you'll have to ask Apple to fix since Intel don't appear to make Mac OS drivers for the various HD graphics chips.