• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think culture changes related to education should be more affected by the province where the education is taking place in rather than whatever culture the teacher happens to be. If I'm Frankish and everyone around me is Frankish, but my teacher is German, I'm not suddenly going to become German. It's kind of ridiculous.

If it's not already been said.

* Reduce the change of foreign courtier cultural influence on kids when in 'native' lands to pratically impossible. I have never heard of an example where welsh kid living in a welsh province being taught by a french becoming frenchman. That's rediculous even in real life. This way, I can actually invite foreign courtiers as mentors without having to worry my lineage becoming infected with another culture. The only way this should happen if the kid is living in a foreign provinence, perhaps even the same cultural type as the foreign courtier.

* Also increase the chance of character culture change based on the culture of the provinence, e.g. if a ruler's sons are norman, but they're on welsh lands for 3x generations exclusively (i.e. they don't have other cultural province) and the sons basically grew up in an environment where the majority culture is welsh. Their kids should turn Welsh, unless the province culture changes first or becomes a minority.

I think culture changes related to education should be more affected by the province where the education is taking place in rather than whatever culture the teacher happens to be. If I'm Frankish and everyone around me is Frankish, but my teacher is German, I'm not suddenly going to become German. It's kind of ridiculous.

Beat me to it. +1.

Expand the role and mechanics of the Papacy
- a college of cardinals, preference of membership given to prince bishops
- successors drawn from existing cardinals, prince bishops, or bishops, weighting to consider rank, traits, and piety in roughly that order

Expand the role and mechanics of elective empires
- I like a lot of Wraith's suggestions, not entirely sure about all of them

I'd love to see more content and gameplay added to expand/expound upon these high-level concepts. I know half the fun is playing a vassal, but it seems like there's more room to be done for those of us who climb our way up to the top.

Crusades:
- I haven't played a crusade yet with 1.05 so this may be redundant, but I'd love it if the parcelling out of the new kingdom went to more than just one contributor.
- Take Jerusalem as an example. I'm playing england and I contribute 60% towards the war score. Duke of Brittany contributes 20%, mostly holding Galilee. HRE contributes 15% through battles but not occupation, and the remaining 5% is divided up amongst every one else.

In this scenario, England gets the Kingdom title, Brittany gets Galilee and Galilee is not de facto part of England/Jerusalem, HRE gets piety and prestige.

Rework crusades. I do like how crusades have become a team effort, but the rewards only going to one individual is quite intense - especially because this individual is almost always going to be the HRE.

This, make the awards in the target be distributed after contribution (i.e. guy with 35 % > Gets the kingdom, two guys with 15-20 % > Gets a duchy > The rest <15% gain a few baronies) perhaps with some piety and martial conditions making the most incapable unfit for any reward.

Besides this, I feel another long-term goal should be to rectify the fact that Byzantines and Russians (Orthodox, each in their own way) lack distinctive flavour and mechanics. Both in terms of laws, "vassal"-setup, government and religious flair.

Also, I hope for the additions of Muslims and Pagans with unique mechanics and feel, though that may be later in the development cycle. Things like economy (the absence of (realm) trade/production is at all times apparent, thereby the diversity of different regions (a province in Portugal is basically the same as one in Western Siberia if they have the same number of potential holdings)) and intrigue (many more both smaller and larger plots, like imprisonment, confiscation of wealth - and overall, make them appear more often (at least for the player)) could use improvements too, though.

Totally agree.

Expand multiculturalism in competing ways -
Potential multicultural synthesis: Culturally diverse geographic areas (eg British Isles, Iberian Penninsula, et cetera) can form larger families and over a significant period of time in a defacto superstate they would no longer have cultural penalties to relations.

Potential multicultural divergence: If a superstate collapses, there's a sharp rise in cultural penalties as the state fragments on ethnic or religious lines.

Give every barony its own culture and more plots.

If this wouldn't overload the engine (and our hardware) then I'd love to have that added granularity... Maybe just my own holding in the county has turned to my culture/religion, but the rest remains true to the indigenous population for years. Once you've flipped 51% of the province to your culture/religion, then there's a province wide lessening of wrong culture penalties but there's still a penalty on the holdings that haven't flipped?

When my liege calls me to war, I'd like some kind of pop-up asking me who I want leading these forces. It's irritating that half my courtiers, all of my land-holding vassals, and my own character dissapear when France declares the millionth holy war against Beja. It certainly wasn't uncommon for an old, sick, craven, or even just disinterested lord to send a son in place of himself to lead his levies. I think this option would bring a lot to the game - for example the likelihood that an AI character will personally lead his levies for you would be determined by how much he likes you and what he might have to gain from the war personally. On that topic, I'd like to see the AI raising their own personal levies for their liege with very high relations and/or a good reason to join the war effort.

Random Count/Duke/King on start-up selection. i.e. choose filter by counts then click on random and game will select random count for you.

Last edited:
What I'd like to see in the future are:

I really like these ideas, but I would like to add few things. I don't think it's good to create separate rules for each empire, but rather make one simple set of rules that can end up in both strong and weak empires, like strong Byzantium and fractured HRE around 1066.

So these are the rules, please feel free to comment, change or add :)

My intuition is that the Empire -- as was the case for HRE -- is supposed to unite one particular religion (which at that time was the defining thing for people and countries). Empire is above kings or dukes, its rule given by the divine grace. There may be very strong kingdoms -- say France or England uniting Britain. But the Empire is a universal entity for its religion. This means that once an Empire is established, there will be tension between the emperor and his religion leader.

Empire

• (1) There should be AT MOST ONE empire for any religion. One Kaizer for catholics. One Basileus for Orthodox. If for example Norse don't have it, they can create it -- but once Scandinavia is there, there can be no Great Norway for instance.

(2) Empire can be cultural or multicultural as discussed by Wraith094 (point D).

(3) Creation of an empire:

(a) you must have some minimal number of provinces (50?), number of kingdoms (at least 2?) and duchies (20?) in your country. The provinces (and by extension -- duchies and kingdoms based on these provinces) must be of your religion, otherwise they don't count.

(b) you must have a minimal share of all the provinces of your religion (50%).

This means that empires are big, but also important parts of the world of their religion.

(c) The leader of your religion must accept you as the founder of the Emperor -- he will do it automatically only if he is dependent as your court chaplain. He will never do it if he is dependent on some other rule. If he is independent, all depends on his opinion of you (see the section on religious leaders).

(4) All kings and dukes are called electors, even if the succession is not elective.

(5) Succession is more tricky than for a kingdom. First, the heir must be of the gender which is allowed for succession to the title of the religious leader (!). So for example, a princess cannot become HR Empress because catholic pope must be male. Second, the succession must be accepted by the religious leader. (S)He will do it automatically only if she is not independent (like in the Byzantium). In HRE, Pope can veto a succession.

Instead the religious leader can nominate one of the electors as a potential successor which results in a succession war. For example, Pope can support the second candidate for the elected HRE throne if the first candidate is not very pious. In any case, the resulting war ends when either the to-be emperor defeats claimants and the religious leader (which in the case of HRE means sacking Rome for nth time) or is defeated by the usurper.

(6) Succession laws in the Empire have no impact on succession laws in vassal states.

This means that Popes and Kaizers will fight a lot, since Popes will be trying to install their puppets all the time. Also, we can have something like France becoming de facto the most important catholic country by its King Phillipe taking the control over Pope.

I've been writing about the leader of a religion a lot, so let's give him some rules as well.

Religious leaders (RL)

(1) RL is the head of the Church/Temple. There are two cases once this position is firmly established as de iure:

(a) (S)He is independent as a count of a Holy City without any liege (like the bishop of Rome).

(b) (S)He is dependent as the court chaplain of the current Emperor.

(2) If the RL has no established position, the de facto RL is the first from the list:

(a) king/archbishop of that religion with the highest number of duke titles

(b) court chaplain of the king with the highest number of king titles and duke and count titles / vassals / vassals of vassals

(b) bishop of that religion with the highest piety.

(3) If there is no de iure or de facto facto RL, the religion is decentralized and waits for the first appropriate candidate.

(4) If there is no de iure RL, the de facto RL can become one in the case of two events:

(a) he is a court chaplain to a ruler who just created an Empire. In this case, a patriarchate (or however you call it in this religion) is created in the capital of the new Empire and the person becomes (1b).

(b) if he is independent (has no de facto liege), he can organize a conclave. All holding a religious title of that religion of any tier gather and vote whether to support the claim. (This probably depends on the piety and prestige of the candidate and also on his opinion throughout the world of that religion). If the conclave agrees, the person is given the RL de iure title (1a).

If there was no Holy City, the county of the new de iure RL becoms the Holy City of that religion. Otherwise, the new de iure RL gets a claim on the old Holy City and moves there once it falls into his demesne.

(5) Independent de iure RL always have the election succession law (new conclave).

(6) Kings and Emperors can put forward their candidates for the de iure RL against current one if the incumbent is independent. This works exactly like anti-popes presented against Rome. If the King wins, his candidate becomes the new de iure RL and is considered dependent one.

(7) Symmetrically, if there is a Holy City but the current de iure RL is dependent (say, as a bishop of Avignon and a vassal to king of France), the count of the Holy City (if he is a feudal of religious type, say bishop of Rome but not King of Italy with his capital in Rome) gets a claim on the de iure title and can press it by winning a war. If he does, he becomes (1a) independent RL.

(8) If the religion has very low reputation, nobody will care about the current de iure leader and a new conclave gathers to elect (1a). The RL is elected freely from the whole population of religious type feudals and automatically grants the Holy City to the newly elected RL which becomes independent.

My idea is that (6) is for France making their antipope actual pope, rule (7) for having two claim-popes (one in Avignon and one in Rome) and rule (8) for Council of Constance type of events where the dispute between two claimants for the title of pope was settled by picking a third candidate.

I think that if there is a dispute between two RL, independent rulers are free to support one and get a heretic CB on the supporters of the other side. Which means that schisms should be rare.

One additional thing: if all duchies from a kingdom are assimilated by some other kingdom (say Bavarian by German), it would be nice if the king of the latter kingdom could create a titular title of the former. So if England swallows Scotland, all Scottish duchies become de iure English and remain in England, English king could also become the titular King of Scotland, with no other consequence than the kingdom-title boost of prestige.

More beards. As it is hardly anyone has a beard, which I guess kinda makes sense for France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc, but in England and ERE there should be more, and in Scandinavia they should be the rule, not the exception ;)

I may have put this on the wishlist last time. It is a pretty minor one.

Auto-pause available for those special drop-down, time-limited notifications (don't know the right term for them). One example is when an enemy in the war is making a peace offer.