• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, June 4th 2024 at around 8:00 CT / 14:00 UTC for up to a couple of hours.
  • We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10971)

Alien Space Bat
Sep 9, 2002
Country: Actually, it's not exactly Novgorod. More to be revealed later.
Scenario: Let's see. Novgorod's in which scenarios exactly? Oh, just 1419. :p
Goals: None.
Style: Play, with some musical accompaniment.
[Okay, so I'm in a smart-alecky mood today.]
[You might want to switch your encoding to Cyrillic. That's View--Encoding--Cyrillic]
--------
OVERTURE MIDI MP3 It's "Promenade - The Market Place of Limoges - Catacombae - Con mortuis in lingua mortua"
(You'll have to scroll down on the second one--the site doesn't allow direct linking to the music)
(Oh, and this isn't supposed to be accompaniment to the next part--but you can listen to it while reading anyway.)
--------

ACT I

SCENE I
20 December* 1413
On the southern shore of Lake Ilmen

[Enter Frederick, who beats snow off his boots.]

FREDERICK
Ten years in this God-forsaken place and I'm still not used to it.

[Suddenly, he notices a note on the ground, half-covered by the snow from his boots. He picks it up and reads it.]

FREDERICK
Áîæå, Öàðÿ õðàíè!
Ñèëüíûé, äåðæàâíûé,
Öàðñòâóé âî ñëàâó,
Âî ñëàâó íàì!
Öàðñòâóé íà ñòðàõ âðàãàì,
Öàðü ïðàâîñëàâíûé,
Áîæå, Öàðÿ, Öàðÿ õðàíè!
Öàðÿ õðàíè!

God save noble Caesar!
Long may he live in power,
In happiness,
In peace to reign!
Feared of his enemies,
Faith's sure defender,
God save Caesar!

An odd poem. Who is the Caesar it speaks of?

[Enter Feodor opposite from Frederick]
FEODOR
Frederick! It is good to see you again. But what's that?

FREDERICK
I wish I knew. It is a poem that speaks of a Caesar, though which I cannot tell.

FEODOR
Ah, that doesn't matter. Just get some sleep, or as much as a German can get in this weather. We must be in Novgorod by Christmas. We're likely to be late as it is.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am also following a Suzdal thread so I am eager to compare the growth of both of these.

Ps: how do you get the links to threads at the bottom of a post?

Remind me to go after Novgorod in my Suzdal AAR.:D

Good luck Judas Maccabeus and thanks for commenting in my AAR.

*subscribe*:)

oh yeah....tasty too.;):D Would have liked to ally with them against Muscovy but I needed the income from the CoT.

Machiavellian, check your PM inbox for help coding sigs.

SCENE II

24 December
Veliky Novgorod

ph01.jpg

The city of Novgorod

[Enter FREDERICK and FEODOR from the left]

FEODOR
Ah, Lord Novgorod the Great! The finest city in all Russia! One never tires of it. Especially after the journey we had.

MESSENGER
[offstage]Excuse me, sir!

FREDERICK
[aside]What now?

[MESSENGER enters from right]

MESSENGER
You match the descripitions of two people named Frederick and Feodor. I have a message for you.

FEODOR
That is us. Let me have that.

[MESSENGER hands a paper to FEODOR and leaves right]

FEODOR
Bastard didn't even write it in Russian.

FREDERICK
Let me see. No, this is Russian.

FEODOR
What do you mean? It uses the Latin script.

FREDERICK
Whomever sent this went through the trouble of transcribing Russian into that alphabet. It says:

"Greetings.

I hear you are in the city for Christ's mass. I await you by St. Sophia's Cathedral.

Ivan Petrowich"

FEODOR
Who is Ivan Petrovich? I know a Yuri Petrovich, but since Peter is such a common name--

[enter IVAN from left]

IVAN
Feodor! It is good to see you again.

FEODOR
I do not believe I have met you before.

IVAN
Why, I am Ivan Petrovich.

FEODOR
And I'm supposed to recognize that name because...

IVAN
The letter?

FEODOR
Well, there are probably hundreds of Ivan Petroviches in Novgorod alone. And this doesn't look like St. Sophia's to me.

IVAN
I got bored and came over here.

FEODOR
What do you want with us?

IVAN
I hear Frederick is a man like Yakob the Israelite, who can tell the meaning of dreams.

FREDERICK
That was Yosef. And I claim no such power.

IVAN
But I heard that there was a man in Pskow named Frederick (formerly of some town in Germany) who did. Now, there can't be too many Fredericks in Pskow--

FREDERICK
I know who you are talking about. And he's a madman.

IVAN
Ah, that is too bad. But perhaps you can try.

FREDERICK
Don't expect a prophecy. I don't believe dreams mean anything.

IVAN
Just try.

FREDERICK
Feodor?

FEODOR
He asked you.

FREDERICK
Damn. Go ahead.

IVAN
I first heard a song...

[The song: MIDI (it's "melody") MP3 (scroll down and take your pick, I recommend the third one)

[singing]Áîæå, Öàðÿ õðàíè!
Ñèëüíûé... oh, what was that...

FREDERICK
äåðæàâíûé?

IVAN
You heard it too?

FREDERICK
No. Go ahead.

IVAN
Öàðñòâóé âî ñëàâó,
Âî ñëàâó íàì!
Öàðñòâóé íà ñòðàõ âðàãàì,
Öàðü ïðàâîñëàâíûé,
Áîæå, Öàðÿ, Öàðÿ õðàíè!
Öàðÿ õðàíè!

FREDERICK
Odd. I saw a poem that said the same thing, four days ago.

IVAN
What does it mean?

FREDERICK
Nothing, that I know of. Continue.

IVAN
Then I saw a map of Russia; and Novogorod was white. Then, as winter, Novgorod spread throughout the land. Then, a ceremony. Some Roman Caesar was being crowned. That's it.

FREDERICK
Then the Caesar mentioned in the song is the Caesar being crowned. Did you hear anything during the ceremony?

IVAN
Something... it sounded Greek to me.

FREDERICK
Any words that you remember?

IVAN
Just "Vasilis", or something like that.

FEODOR
[confused]"Vasily"?

FREDERICK
"Basileus"?

IVAN
That's it!

FREDERICK
Then it was Greek. They were saying "King" or "Emperor". Greek? But the song...

IVAN
Was in Russian.

FREDERICK
That's it! Sometime, after Novgorod conquers Russia, the Byzantine emperor will be a Russian! Such great power from this city! A happy dream, I would say. I certainly hope that it does hold prophecy.

IVAN
I am one of the most prominent citizens in the Veche. I should be able to persuade them to carry the prophecy out.

[Exit all right]

Last edited:
Incidental music ( click on "June. Barcarolle")

SCENE III
1 January 1414
Outside of the Kremlin in Novgorod

[Enter FREDERICK and FEODOR from left]

FREDERICK
How long has he been in there?

FEODOR
Half the day. [Enter IVAN from right] What news?

IVAN
Good. Very good. They agreed. [FEODOR and FREDERICK smile. IVAN holds up his hand.] However, they feel that Novgorod is too weak to threaten the rest of Russia directly. They propose bringing Sweden's power to bear.

FREDERICK
And how do they plan on doing that? Sweden is no friend of ours.

IVAN
Frederick and I are to enter Sweden and begin a revolt--the Swedes have some dislike for their Danish overlords. Once Sweden is secured, the two countries can group together and conquer Russia.

FREDERICK
How long will this take?

IVAN
Maybe... five years or so.

FEODOR
Five years!

FREDERICK
How will you be sure the prophecy has not run out by that time?

IVAN
The prophecy gave no time. We have as long as we need.

FREDERICK
When will we leave for Sweden?

IVAN
The tenth.

FREDERICK
And how will we begin a revolt?

IVAN
We know of a dissident in a certain part of the country, who would be only too happy to lead a revolt. [IVAN turns to leave]

FREDERICK
Wait!

IVAN
What is it? [IVAN turns back to FREDERICK]

FREDERICK
Why did you make the letter in Russian, but with the Latin script?

IVAN
To confuse Feodor.

FEODOR
And how, exactly, do you know me?

IVAN
Oh, I know all about you. Come, we must prepare. [Exit IVAN and FREDERICK left.]

FEODOR
I wonder what there is to know about me. Wait!

[Exit FEODOR left]

Very nice, JM. Very nice indeed. I hope this gets the attention it deserves.

I love plays, especially witty plays. If I decide to follow an AAR, this one's on the list of those to consider!

SCENE IV
10 February
Vasa, Sweden

[Enter KRISTIAN WASA and GUARD from left]

KRISTIAN
Ah, finally, a chance to relax somewhat. Karl!

GUARD
Yes?

KRISTIAN
No-one is to disturb me.

GUARD
[looking offstage right] Too late.

[enter FREDERICK and IVAN from right]

FREDERICK
[in Russian]Don't worry, I know Swedish. [pulls out phrase book and hides it from IVAN. In Swedish:] My trading boat is full of eels.

KRISTIAN
Pardon?

FREDERICK
My trading boat is full of eels.

[KRISITIAN points to correct phrase]

FREDERICK
Ah. We would like to speak with you in private, please.

[KRISTIAN nods to GUARD, who leaves.]

KRISTIAN
[in Finnish] Can you understand me?

[IVAN nods. FREDERICK looks confused]

IVAN
[to FREDERICK, in Russian, who has just put the phrase book away] It's Finnish. [to KRISTIAN, in Finnish:] Permit me to speak bluntly. We want you to start a revolt.

KRISTIAN
What with?

IVAN
Finns. Mercenaries. Whatever you can scrape together. We can send a bunch of Novgorodians over if you want.

KRISTIAN
Why?

IVAN
Wouldn't you like the idea of a Wasa being King of Sweden?

KRISTIAN
Of course. Preferably me, of course. Ah, King Kristian of Sweden! Sounds perfect. Where do we start?

IVAN
An army would help.

KRISTIAN
Ah. Yes. The Finns would probably go along. Some Swedes--others are happy with the Union. You mentioned Novgorodians?

IVAN
Consider them sent.

KRISTIAN
Weapons?

IVAN
Improvise.

KRISTIAN
Flag?

IVAN
Just use Sweden's.

KRISTIAN
Sounds good. When do we start?

IVAN
Hmm. Maybe a month for the Novgorodians to get here, during that time we can conscript Finns, bribe people over in Sweden, and grab a few mercenaries. I've got a good supply of money coming in from Novgorod, so that shouldn't be a problem. Then, three months for training. So, four months.

KRISTIAN
Deal. [they shake hands]

FREDERICK
[as they walk offstage] Care to fill me in on that?

[Exit all right]

Very nice.:) Got a good laugh out of
[in Russian]Don't worry, I know Swedish. [pulls out phrase book and hides it from IVAN. In Swedish:] My trading boat is full of eels.

SCENE V
15 November 1418
Outside Stockholm

[Enter KRISTIAN, IVAN, FREDERICK, and many SOLDIERS]

KRISTIAN
The wall falls! Charge, men, and show what Swedes can be when they do not bend their knee to the Danes!

[All cheer and run to left. SOLDIERS leave stage.]

KRISTIAN
Ah, can you guys think of a good battle cry?

IVAN
"Die traitorous lap-dogs?" Simple, but effective.

KRISTIAN
[nods] Frederick?

FREDERICK
Yes?

KRISTIAN
Shout that battle cry and kill a few defenders. Ivan and I would like to speak in private.

FREDERICK
Yes sir!

IVAN
Nice fellow. Still doesn't know Swedish, though. Says he can't get past the "O" with a slash through it.

KRISTIAN
That's Norwegian.

IVAN
He doesn't know that. I figure I should tell him sometime. He's very lucky that you've learned Russian.

FREDERICK
[offstage, in Swedish] I need a feather!

IVAN
And he really should get rid of that phrase book.

[FREDERICK comes back on stage]

FREDERICK
From my vantage point, I saw that most of the city is in our possession. We are the ones with the blue and yellow banner, right?

KRISTIAN
Yes. Did you see anything else?

FREDERICK
A bunch of Danes running so fast they're likely halfway to Kalmar by now.

KRISTIAN
Excellent!

IVAN
Watch out!

[Four DANISH SOLDIERS rush onstage. IVAN and KRISTIAN fight two back off left. FREDERICK grabs a loaded crossbow and kills another. He then drops the crossbow, grabs a sword and fights with the fourth.]

FREDERICK
I need a feather! [Runs SOLDIER through] Well, I'd better catch up with the others, they're probably in the city by now. I NEED A FEATHER!

[Runs offstage left]

[Curtain. End of Prologue.]

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant!!!

What can I say, consider your AAR subscribed you say?
Well, your wish is my command!

"Consider your AAR subscribed."

THIS POST IS NO LONGER AN OFFICIAL PART OF THE AAR. YOU CAN READ IT IF YOU WISH ANYWAY.

(details next post)

Incidental music (Moments Musicaux No. 5)

ACT I
SCENE I
Kalmar, Sweden
22 August 1419

[Curtain rises with IVAN standing in the middle, dictating a letter to FREDERICK, who is furiously trying to keep up with him.]

IVAN
The 22nd Day of August, 1419.

Feodor:

We recieved your letter of the 15th with much interest. You say that the city of Suzdal is blockaded and will fall immediately. This news has greatly cheered the Novgorodians in our army. And the severe defeats that Muscowy has sustained at the hands of ourselves and the city-state of Tver (to whom we must be very grateful) have only served to increase morale all the more.

Our wars have also gone well. Kristian insisted that we hold the coronation ceremony immediately after our capture of Stockholm. We immediately sent one army into Skåne and another to southern Norway, while a small cavalry force secured the northern parts of Norway with the ready help of the Ugric tribesmen. The war was swift. We defeated the Danish army in Skåne, and a Norwegian army which, we discovered, now flew the Danish flag.

Skåne fell on the Fourth of August. Negotiations began immediately. Soon, we had a treaty: Kristian would be recognized as King of Sweden, and Denmark would pay a very large sum to regain Skåne (though we recieved barely half of it). Thus, our armies are now available to help you in your wars. Frederick is preparing to march to Finland as we speak.

Ivan Petrovich.

Got all that?

FREDERICK
”…preparing to march to Finland as we speak. Ivan Petrovich.” Yes. Well, just make sure Kristian doesn't do anything stupid while I'm gone.

IVAN
That's my job. Good luck.

[FREDERICK bows and leaves right. IVAN then exits left]

Last edited:
Well, I've got bad news and I've got good news.

Bad news: Nasty computer problem (I was expecting it to burst into flames next ;) ) has kept me away from the internet for the past two weeks. I've lost all earlier files.

Good news: This AAR is so early on that I can just restart. Ignore the earlier Act I, Scene I.

Bad news was bad. I loved you start and hope Try #2 is as good!!

:D

good news is very good. I am glad you will be restarting this one. Now we will have two Novgorad tales to see the birth of a new Russia!

:cool:

Incidental music (Moments Musicaux No. 5)

ACT II
SCENE I

Ivan's estate, near the Kremlin in Novgorod
16 June 1421

[Curtain rises with IVAN sitting in a chair at center. Enter FEODOR right.]

FEODOR
What is this news you give me?

IVAN
Someone new has taken power in the Veche.

FEODOR
His name?

IVAN
Yeufimei, I believe.

FEODOR
What is his position?

IVAN
Favourable to our cause. Any news from Sweden?

FEODOR
That was your area.

IVAN
I returned after Stockholm, and I have heard nothing since.

[Footsteps offstage right.]

FEODOR
A man with three crowns on his coat--I believe we will have our answers.

[Enter FREDERICK right]

FEODOR
Messenger from Sweden, what news?

FREDERICK
Have our armies arrived?

FEODOR
I know that voice!

IVAN
Frederick!

FREDERICK
Your answer?

IVAN
The army has arrived. They just saved us, too.

FREDERICK
Why?

FEODOR
Muscovy has declared war. It was the Swedish army that destroyed them. What news from Kristian?

FREDERICK
Very good, very good. I will give you this letter, it will tell you all you need to know. Goodbye, and God will that we meet again.

[FREDERICK hands FEODOR the letter and exits right. Feodor unfolds the letter, then laughs from joy.]

IVAN
What? What is it?

FEODOR
Ah, very good. Allow me to finish, I will tell you all. [Reads some more, then puts down the letter.] General success for Sweden. The first: On 2 January 1419, Sigurd, Regent of Norway, declared the Union of Kalmar void and himself King. His navy joined that of Sweden in a great battle in the Sund against the Danes. There was little doubt as to the outcome. The Danish fleet found the bottom soon enough, along with much of their army. The Swedes blockade Gotland and slowly move through the fortresses of Skåne. I see no doubt as to the outcome.

IVAN
And here? Is there any doubt?

FEODOR
That is your own decision.

IVAN
And what is yours?

FEODOR
No doubt. Moscovy attacked on two sides--Ryazan has taken the opportunity to invade, I received the news yesterday. Our recent conquest of Suzdal gives us another flank.

IVAN
And another liability.

FEODOR
How so?

IVAN
Why do you think the battle near Moskva was so easy? Because most of their army is in Suzdal at the moment.

FEODOR
What? Go to the Veche, ask for another army! Tell the Swedes of this immediately!

IVAN
It is they who found out. They travel to Arkhangelsk to hold that land, but even that is doubtful.

FEODOR
They must be reinforced! Quickly!

[Exit all right.]

Last edited:
SCENE II

Vladimir, Novgorod
3 November

[enter IVAN PETROVICH, FEODOR, and their PERSONAL GUARDS left]

FEODOR
Any news from the scouts?

IVAN
None. The Muscovite army was supposed to be here--

[Trumpet call. Sounds of battle offstage.]

FEODOR
There's our answer.

[Enter YURI PATRIKEEV and nine other MUSCOVITES right]

IVAN
And here's their leader! One-to-one, Yuri. Come, draw.

[The Novgorodians and Muscovites draw and fight. All except IVAN and YURI go offstage.]

YURI
Ha! A perfect ambush.

IVAN
Nothing on earth is perfect.

YURI
Some things practically are.

[Trumpets offstage, a cheer]

IVAN
Not this time. Do you know what that is?

YURI (turning pale)
No... they... in Denmark... too busy...

[Shouts of "For God and Novgorod!"]

IVAN
Obviously not.

YURI
They'll not save you!

[YURI lunges over. IVAN runs him through almost immediately. Enter FEODOR, KRISTIAN, FREDERICK, and some SOLDIERS (Novgorodian and Swedish) from left.]

KRISTIAN
The Muscovite general! They'll run even faster now.

FREDERICK
Even better news from both the north and the south. The northern Muscovite lands are beginning to fall, and Ryazan prepares to move on Moskva.

IVAN
And we are right in the middle. Consider what damage we can do!

KRISTIAN
Bury the dead and get moving, there is much to do.

[Exit all right.]