• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(4747)

Strategy Junkie
Jul 5, 2001
www.gridcogames.com
Ok my fellow HOI community members. As I promised a couple weeks ago, I have started placing old military songs up on my website. I can verify the quality of the files as I re-master them myself. I currently have 15-20 songs available on the site. I will continue to add more each week as I "fix" them up. I have about 120 songs still in my "to-do" queue. :)

Click on the large link on my main page www.gridcogames.com and head to the music section. Continue to check back if you like the files because I WILL continue to add more regularly. I'd appreciate feedback if you listen to the files. Tell me if you hate, liked or used them. The feedback keeps me from thinking I'm wasting my time. :)

The songs are and will continue to be mostly from World War II, however there will be some from many other eras.

I've tried adding music (not yours though) to the HoI folder, and changed the text in the relevent text file, but it doesn't ever play ingame. The files are mp3s. Is adding music different than in Eu2?

Great idea, Bluestew! I'm sure this will renew the game feeling. :cool:

@HMBob: No, AFAIK it works exactly the same. Sure about typos, extensions and such...?

Thanks! Bluestew
I like the picture of Tiger tank on the webpage. Looks gorgeous.:)

Last edited:
Originally posted by HisMajestyBOB
I've tried adding music (not yours though) to the HoI folder, and changed the text in the relevent text file, but it doesn't ever play ingame. The files are mp3s. Is adding music different than in Eu2?

Hmmm, I can't answer the EU2 question, but I have added music to my HOI music folder. Upon adding the new mp3's to the text file (using the same numbering scheme) they played for me. Perhaps one of the more knowledgable gurus on here will be able to identify your problem.

Ah, it seems to be the numbering/naming scheme. Origionally I used a word or two from the title of the song and it didn't work, so I renamed them all to 555333-XX, and it worked!

Originally posted by HisMajestyBOB
Ah, it seems to be the numbering/naming scheme. Origionally I used a word or two from the title of the song and it didn't work, so I renamed them all to 555333-XX, and it worked!
Good to know. I disabled the game music and usually use WinAmp in the background. ;)

These are great. At first, I didn't think it would be worth the trouble to add music to HOI. After checking out this page, I opened up the "Battle of Midway March" at random. Not a history buff or anything, it did sound vaguely familiar and I liked it quite a bit. In fact, I liked them all and downloaded the lot. Eagerly awating more updates!

Couple of questions - Gettysburg. Is this music solely from the movie or is there any historical backing to that tune? Also, the Red October Hymn...this is also presumably from the movie? Can anyone give me any information about this song? I just know that I love it, it has a...haunting quality. Any more Russia music like that would be fantastic.

Originally posted by cfeedback
These are great. At first, I didn't think it would be worth the trouble to add music to HOI. After checking out this page, I opened up the "Battle of Midway March" at random. Not a history buff or anything, it did sound vaguely familiar and I liked it quite a bit. In fact, I liked them all and downloaded the lot. Eagerly awating more updates!

Thanks! It is comments like this that keep me going. I'll tell ya, some of those 1930s-40s recordings take 2 hours or more to get all the static and pops out. Some of them still have a couple "goof" areas but I only have so much to work with. Better something than nothing. I get halfway into a 3 minute march and think oh man....this is going to take forever. :) Then I read a post such as yours and think wow, I need to work on some more tunes for people.

I'm working on "Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden" right now, Rommel's funeral march. Should have it up in 2-3 hours <sigh> Unfortunately it is one of those 40's recordings with lots of work required.

Originally posted by aprof
Try to get a version of Sousa's "Semper Fidelis" for your site. It would go well with much of what's included in the HOI music.

(BTW, the "7th Cavalry Song" is also/originally known as "Garry Owen.")

Appreciate the info. Already had Semper Fidelis so I gave it a quick proofing, it needed very little work, and put it up. Also added The Marine Hymn...old version but isn't history what its all about? :)

quick question

does it matter which number I put in after the first 6 numbers?

i.e 550560-??

if so what effects does it have?

Garry Owen

Blue

I can't believe you had Garry Owen (2 r's btw). Good going...having been a Cav trooper for many, many years...that brought a tear out:)

Now you need the US Airborne song "Blood on the Risers", the 101st Airborne song "Rendevous with Destiny" and the 82nd Airborne "Sky Soldiers".

Sabre21