• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5361)

Taskenspiller Extraordinaire
Aug 15, 2001
Visit site
Hi all,

Welcome to my Naples AAR which I hope will be an enjoyable read.

Settings are:
EU2 v1.05
Grand Campaign
fog of war/forced annexation
normal/normal
Gamespeed: varies widely

The goal of this game is to unify Italy, build up sizeable overseas holdings and in the endgame challenge France/Spain/Austria (whoever prevails) for dominance of the Continent.

The style is narrative, and events will unfold through the story of some central characters, (lest I get lost in digressions, which probably will happen :p ).

Constructive criticism is very welcome. There are probably going to be some loopholes in the historical authenticity of the story... ( I do not have the time or will to check all the facts), but take it for what it is: a simple story..

(EDIT: as I have obviously failed to weave in some of the more dramatic historic events Naples took part of, it is now safe to say this AAR is clearly in the 'Alternative History department')

Cast of Characters so far…

MONARCHS
Giovanna II – Queen of Naples, 1419 - 1435
Renatus I – King of Naples, 1435 – 1458
Ferrante I – King of Naples, 1458 – 1494
Alfonso I – King of Naples, 1494-

ROYALTY, NOBLES and KNIGHTS
Prince Sergio (killed in the battle of Bologna 1424)
- Renatus older brother.
Grand Duke Leotore de Apulia (died 1426)
- Renatus and Sergio’s uncle.
Catharina de Aragon (died 1460)
- Wife of Renatus.
Commandante Zalita (killed in the battle of Bologna 1424)
- Aragonese Commander of the Papal armies in the war against Naples (1420-1424).
Capain de Ferra (died 1430)
- Captain of the Royal Guards under Giovanna II’s reign.
Duke Giovanni de Mantova,
Signore Francas,
Baroness di Cueno,
Ercolo de Parma
- Conspirators backing Alfonso I’s claim to the throne of Naples.
Princess Francesca
- Sole child of Ferrante I

CLERGY
Cardinal Odonto
- Papal agent sent to facilitate the Papal conquest of Naples in 1420.
Pope Martinus V
- Holy Papa during the war against the Naples (1420-1424)
Cardinal Colonna
- Conspirator backing Alfonso I’s claim to the throne of Naples.

OTHER NOTABLES
Riccardo
- Teacher and servant of Renatus and Sergio.
Captain Vincenzo ‘Fiery’ Fernandez
- Aragonese corsair, spy and adventurer during the reigns of Renatus and Ferrante (died 1465)

Onwards to Naples....

Last edited:
Introduction:

-Haaa..AAAI!! Birds hastily took to the air as the loud scream from the clearing below reached the tree tops. The shiny rapier passed less than a finger’s length from Sergio’s shoulder as he side-stepped the oncoming charge. But the slender man easily regained his balance from the evasion as he laughed and teased his brother. -So eager, so unelegant....so infantile!

His wild charge had left Renatus wide open and hearing his older brother’s teasing words did little to aid his concentration, fury flashed in his green eyes and his hand clinched the long blade. But alas, before he had time to think he felt the blunt tip of his brother’s sword on his throat, bested....again. -Two things Renatus: One, do not betray your actions with unnecessary words. Two, never let unnecessary words affect your actions.

Renatus blushed, he felt the redness creep all over his beardless face, not only had he been beaten, but Sergio had also noticed that his mocking words had reached him.
-Those are the same, wordbending fool!, he yelped helplessly.
-Ah, not always so, little pup. But think no more of it now, dear brother, let us rather enjoy the wonderful lunch that Riccardo assuredly has prepared for us, come now..

Renatus smiled, Hmmpf....Sergio’s calm and soothing voice could calm even an enraged Turk!, he thought for himself, as he followed to his brother back to the horses.

Riccardo saw the two Princes approach from the clearing. The old servant had been with the family for years and he had known them both from before they could walk. Wherever they were, he would always be within earshot. He had been concerned for a moment when he heard a shout, and had to calm the horses. But here they both came smiling back from their morning practice. Riccardo still marvelled at the difference between the two brothers. Sergio’s slender frame belied his strength., as his unkempt appearance belied his wits. His face was covered by an unruly dark beard, which’s wildness was only overcome by the man’s long black hair which appeared to have been uncut, indeed untouched, from the moment of his birth. Within this frame of hairy chaos rested Sergio’s eversmiling long face, a smile marred by a wide gap between his front teeth. Then again, the 18 year old Prince was referred to as the ‘alley-cat’ by the ladies at court. A comparison Riccardo wholeheartedly agreed to, especially considering the man’s lately string of nightly escapades, that had led to this period of absentia from the court. Here in the countryside, there were fewer maidens to capture the young prince’s interest, and fewer fathers to complain to his mother, the Queen!

Renatus on the other hand, Riccardo thought for himself, was nobility incarnate. Even now he walked calmy, composed and with chin high, a certain aloofness over his young person. The 12 year old’s pale, delicate features had made him his mother’s favourite from early age, and his fiery-red, neck long well trimmed hair made him stand out at court. His green eyes seemed to glow from within and reinforced the impression of an intelligent young Prince. “Now, if he could only grow off his temper and shortsightedness, there would walk a man who could truly be King...” Riccardo thought for himself as the two princes reached him.

- A good round, Sirs?... I take it Renatus finally won as I surely heard his victory yell just now?
- Au contraire, my good servant! He had to yield to a superior arm, a superior fighter and above all... A superior wit! Sergio continued to tease his brother.
- Well, at least this time you had to put up a sweat, your Superiority. Clean up, you look like a dock worker!. The old servant threw Sergio a towel.
- Why... The nerve!!... Servants these days! Sergio feigned insult as Renatus broke into loud chuckles for the fist time since his defeat.

Sergio wiped his face and returned the towel. -Well... Renatus might have lost the duel, but he won new knowledge.

- And what might be today’s piece of infinite wisdom, Sire? Riccardo inquired sarcastically. Renatus answered for his brother, -Do not talk! Act!
- Well! That’s probably the most unsound pie-, Riccardo’s starting lecture was cut by the sound of approaching horses.

Moments later a small entourage appeared from the forest. The princes immediatly recognised Captain de Ferra, leader of the Royal Guards, who led the party. Behind him followed, their mother’s seneschal Vintoro and with him was a man of the cloth they did not know. Behind them followed four knights from de Ferra’s outfit. Upon spotting the boys and the old servant, de Ferra slowed his horse, waved briefly and rode towards them in a calm pace.

- What now, Renatus asked concerned. This was an unusual assortment of men and he was uncertain as to what this meant.
- Perhaps they miss us at court brother... although I fear there might be bad news.

“Halt!” Captain de Ferra commanded when the party had closed the short distance, now that they were nearer they could see that the large man had a grave and hard look upon him. The priest, Sergio now recognized him, was Cardinal Odento, a man who had sometimes appeared at court.

- Greetings to you, Prince Sergio and Prince Renatus, I am sorry to disturb your stay here outside Brindisi, but certain recent events in Naples needs your urgent attention. We have travelled quickly from court and trough Apulia for over a week to reach you and-

-That’s quite enough Captain!, Cardinal Odento interrupted in a high pitched voice. -I will take it from here! The fat Cardinal rose in the saddle authoratively, a pose partially marred by the man’s obesity, which seemed to threaten both the health of his horse and the gold buttons on his bright red, bulging travelling frock. He produced a small handkerchief and quickly patted his large forehead, it was obvious that the journey had been less than pleasurable for the priest.

-After the unfortunate accident that befell your mother, he began. Sergio could later have sworn he saw glee glinting in the man’s small dark eyes, but before he had a chance to reflect over it both he and Renatus interrupted the Cardinal. –What accident, Renatus screamed, his voice breaking. –Is she alright, Sergio chimed in.

- Ahh... you have not heard? How unfortunate... well, regrettably I have to inform you that the Queen was attacked in her own chambers and thrown down a staircase. She lives, Thank God! But she suffered strong injuries to the head, as a result her senses have left her and she seems devoid of reason.

-WHAT, Sergio exclaimed, his face filling with rage. He turned to de Ferra, -What...? Who would DARE such a thing? Surely this assailant was captured?

- We have been unable to capture the cretin, the guard was away and there are no signs to anyone entering. They must have been privvy to the guards’s routines and, I suspect, had keys..., as he uttered the last word the Captain placed his eyes on the Seneschal.

Renatus had trouble keeping his composure, this was too much and he was afraid he would start crying. Had it not been for Riccardo placing his hands on the boy’s shoulders he would undoubtedly have done so too..

- ...or what say you, Viceroy, de Ferra nearly spat the last word.

- Doutbful, my dear Cap-.

- VICEROY? Since when did you attain such a title Vintoro? And why are you away from my mother at a time like this?? What exactly is happening here, Sergio quickly turned to Vintoro and uttered the words in anger. His rage showed clearly in his red face and clenched hands.

- Ehh..well. Certain.... adjustments to th-, the low and seething voice of the former Seneschal was abruptly cut off by the stringent Cardinal.

- What the Viceroy is trying to tell you, young Princes, is that from Novembris 14, Anno Domini 1419, by Papal Decree, the Kingdom of Naples in its entirety, for all time forward is to be ruled from Rome. The Holy Chair in its infallability and wisdom has decreed that the lands formerly ruled from Naples will now be under the spiritual AND secular guidance of the Papa. Rejoice! I have come here to relay this great joy to you both and to ensure that your return from Apulia to Naples is uneventful....after all we do not want you to share the fate of your poor mother...

Sergio was dumbfounded. His world was collapsing around him and he was at a loss at what to do. For the first time in his life he did not know what to say, what to ask, what to command! He was speechless, and it felt most disturbing. He was about to scream, when he felt Renatus tugging at his shirt.

- What, he hissed. “..o..t..lk...a...”, Renatus sobbed, his earlier composure now vanished completely. -WHAT, BROTHER, SPEAK UP, Sergio yelled. “..do not talk, act!” Sergio looked upon him as if he had fallen from the sky and invited him to dance! But just as soon realization dawned upon him, a wry smile snuck over his lips and the wild fury in his eyes was replaced with a playful, devil-may-care look. Renatus raised his chin, suppressed a last sob and looked questiongly at his older brother. Sergio nodded in agreement and they both drew their rapiers.....

Edit - Typos

Last edited:
Breathtaking! Brilliant! Your first post really is a good read and I really like that Sergio fellow. Please write that fight ASAP!

Yet I noticed a few an-historical details. The first one that comes to mind is that at the tome nobles did not use rapiers: rapiers are of no use against a full-armoured knight. So until the 1530's the rapiers were not used.

Others details are of no big importance.

I look forward to reading more of this.

BTW: Ricardo sounds way to much like Zorro's dumb domestic.:D

I have to agree, a very intriguing introduction. I'm very interested in the developments...

Thanks to both for your kind words!

As for the rapiers I suspect both Sergio and Renatus are quite avant-garde in their tastes of weaponry....:D

:)o , did not know that Eochaid. Shows to tell you learn something every day...)

Hopefully more to follow tomorrow!

Now this could be an interesting fight! Blunt tipped practice rapiers against real swords. :eek: :D Don’t let the mild teasing stop you from continuing the story. I and others want to know what happened. :cool:

Joe

Great, really great intro. You have a good way of bringing renaissance Italy to life, although I have to agree with the rapier bit.

The only thing I found distracting from your wonderful narrative was the way you handled the dialogue. Using " or " would make it easier to read, methinks. But that's just my - in the light of your tale - very humble opinion. :)

I'm looking forward to reading much more of this tale. :)

Actually, doing -dialogue could owrk.

But only if it was a script format. An AAR like a play, that'd be something to see.

Originally posted by Faeelin
Actually, doing -dialogue could owrk.

But only if it was a script format. An AAR like a play, that'd be something to see.

Been done before - see MrT's Waiting for Todog. :)

Originally posted by Storey
Now this could be an interesting fight! Blunt tipped practice rapiers against real swords. :eek: :D Don’t let the mild teasing stop you from continuing the story. I and others want to know what happened. :cool:

Joe

Hehe.. I wondered if anyone would spot that. Do not fear dear reader, it's all taken into account.

The only thing I found distracting from your wonderful narrative was the way you handled the dialogue. Using " or " would make it easier to read, methinks. But that's just my - in the light of your tale - very humble opinion.

This is weird!! I was having the exact same 'discussion' with myself after I first wrote it! Originally I wrote it with "", but then changed it to - 'cause i feel ""s break up the story to much.

Anyway, I will continue with - for now, but if there is strong feeling that it marrs the story I will change it to ""s
---

Anyway we left Sergio and Renatus in a terrible pinch and it would be extremely bad manners to leave them there too long...
Onwards to Brindisi...

They're always teasing us Norwegians. One little line about a manservant, and it's suddenly folklore. Here comes the rapier as well! :D

Good start, Earl... Jarlen av Juks! :) And I'm always happy to see more Norwegians taking the plunge into AARing.

Introduction (cont.)

Cardinal Odonto quietly regained consciousness, his eyes struggling against the light. He was moving and he was in pain. In fact his body was protesting to his current predicament from parts of it he had did not even know he had. The strong smell of horse vehemently filled his nostrils and he quickly tried to draw his breath, only to realise he was gagged. He tried to reach for the gag, but felt a strong rope across his wrists resisting the tug. Odonto’s eyes finally adjusted to the light and less than an arms length below him he saw a dirt road moving below him...

He struggled to turn his gaze forward, but his neck protested wildly and he only caught a glimpse of the horse’s front legs trotting steadily forward. They had slung him over the horse like a carcass being brought back from a hunt! His hands were closely tied up with one end of a rope which ended in tight knot around his feet! How?...What? He started to remember....

---

The charge, granted, had surprised him. The two upstarts had drawn their rapiers and struck at Vintoro’s horse. The horse had panicked and thrown the surprised Seneschal to the ground. There the wiry old man had curled up and screamed “Mercy!..Mercy!”

Odonto angrily remembered that he had foolishly laughed out loud at this sight. – You cry like a woman before two boys with blunted swords, he bellowed. – Rest assured these crude toys can not hurt us Viceroy!

Then things had taken a turn for the worse...

As he was regaining his bearings from the burst of laughter he felt a sword tip at his back, and this one felt sharp enough. He stiffened in the saddle.

- Oh, I beg to differ Cardinal, rest assured crude toys can be very painful in the right hands... Dismount...now! The icy voice of Captain de Ferra reached his ears. He had underrated the soldier... a dire mistake. At that moment the Odonto’s memory had flashed back to their departure from Naples a week ago..

- Can we trust the Captain, Vintoro? He had inquired as they prepared for the journey. – Do not worry, my dear Cardinal, Vintoro had replied, - de Ferra is but a simple soldier, he follows orders. In fact, I think he will turn into a most excellent lap dog! Besides, having him with us with do less to alarm the Princes... Vintoro’s advice had seemed sound at the time, but now it appeared to have come at a very steep cost.

Odonto tried one last gambit – “Knights! Do not allow your honour to be stained by this heretic’s actions! An attack upon a man of the cloth is an attack upon the Church and God himself! Beware! For you will surely rot in the sulpfhury flames of the Abyss if you allow this to happen! Strike down this Devil’s helper, for he is surely posessed!”

At this he had heard the sound of swords quickly unsheating, but dared not turn to face the knights. Had his command been followed? He felt a large drop of sweat running down his temple for what seemed an entirety, then over his chin before it fell to the ground together with his last desperate hopes. He now felt five sword tips in his back.

- I would rather take my chances with the Devil when the time comes, than deal with demon like you, one of the knights hissed. Odonto then felt a strong blow to his head, as a mailed fist struck him down. With a scream he awkwardly dropped from his horse and the last thing he remembered before slipping into uncounsciousness was a blurry vision of Sergio giving him a mocking good-bye wave, smiling...

---

That smile! How dared the boy. Surely he did not expect to get away with this! Thoughts of a thousand appropriate and inappropriate punishments passed through Odonto’s chaotic mind as he commiserated over his poor fortune. He was only brought out of these mental ravings by the very same Sergio’s voice which now cut clearly through the afternoon air.

- There! My grand uncle’s mansion is just across that bridge. Uncle Leotore is the gracious host to both Renatus and me during this autumn, as a grand fighter in his days I am sure he will know what to do! Sergio was glad to break the silence that had hung over the party since they left the forest. After having had confirmed their mother’s predicament with Captain de Ferra, they had decided to return to Naples as soon as possible, hopefully setting out tomorrow morning.
- I hope you are right my Lord, de Ferra answered. – Although I fear an old knight will not be enough to turn this evil tide. God knows the Kingdom of Naples is ill prepared for war, least of all a war against Rome, which could easily turn all of Italy against us...
- Bon courage Captain! Sergio said overly cheerful, -Duke Leotore has commanded armies against both the accursed English in France and the heathen Moors in Iberia in his glory days. He holds land in Valencia and is even a personal friend of the Aragonese king Alfonso.
- ...Or so he claims after a few bottles of wine when telling us his war stories, Renatus commented dryly. – The man is over 70 years old, Sergio! I do not see him charging into battle soon.
- Brother.. oh brother, not only in youth is great strenght found, and you would do well to note that, Sergio proclaimed dramatically. The party crossed the bridge and spurred their horses for the last stretch to the estate...

Originally posted by Jarlen av Juks

This is weird!! I was having the exact same 'discussion' with myself after I first wrote it! Originally I wrote it with "", but then changed it to - 'cause i feel ""s break up the story to much.

Anyway, I will continue with - for now, but if there is strong feeling that it marrs the story I will change it to ""s

Well, "unwritten" convention on the board is to write dialogue like this:

"Yes", he said.

"You can't be serious", she replied.

He smirked, "Sure am."

But, as it is not official, you are free to deviate, of course. But when reading a passage like this one:
- Brother.. oh brother, not only in youth is great strenght found, and you would do well to note that, Sergio proclaimed dramatically. The party crossed the bridge and spurred their horses for the last stretch to the estate.
I start to mix up narrative and dialogue. It makes me read the text much more consciously, which is in a way good, but to me at least a bit distracting.

However, I don't want to hijack your AAR for a discussion on dialgue technicalities. :) Yuor writing is top notch, and I will keep reading, no matter how your present us with the dialogue. :)

Introduction (cont.)

At this he had heard the sound of swords quickly unsheating, but dared not turn to face the knights. Had his command been followed? He felt a large drop of sweat running down his temple for what seemed an entirety, then over his chin before it fell to the ground together with his last desperate hopes. He now felt five sword tips in his back.

What language. I kowtow and kiss the earth ;)

Introduction (cont.)

He now felt five sword tips in his back.

Now that must have been a cozy group. :p Nice introduction Jarlen. So Naples is going to unite Italy? This should be good.

Joe

This is quite good. You have a real sense of describing minute details and bringing the reader along.

However, I have to jump on the dialogue bandwagon. I'm a traditionalist, so I'm used to proper quotations.

For the most part I found your dialogue OK, but a section like the one in italics I found confusing, and only because I had to figure out when the speaker stopped and the narrative began. I found this in several cases.

But, don't let that discourage you. This is off to a good start. I hope you have the stamina to maintain the pace. :)

- I would rather take my chances with the Devil when the time comes, than deal with demon like you, one of the knights hissed. Odonto then felt a strong blow to his head, as a mailed fist struck him down. With a scream he awkwardly dropped from his horse and the last thing he remembered before slipping into uncounsciousness was a blurry vision of Sergio giving him a mocking good-bye wave, smiling...

Good morning dear readers,

Thanks for all the encouraging words! Much appreciated!

As for the dialogue conventions I'll be rebellious and rash and say: Conventions be Damned!! :p

Seriously, I do not wish to change the style of it now, but I will try to arrange the text better to avoid confusing parts like the ones Sytass and LD commented on. I hope this will work, but if people find it confusing and stops reading (perish the thought) I will of course make adjustments.

But why am I still discussing writing techniques! Onwards to Chapter One, where we are witnesses to an outrageous tale, mor bad news and a most pompous speech.

(also for the sake of Ecohaid I've thrown in a small anachronism. But pls bear over with me, it's ...ahem...barely noticeable...:p :p )