• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

QuidProNihil

Just Some Guy
29 Badges
Aug 6, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Title-Image.gif

^ A heinous spelling error at 3 in the morning. That should of course read Moroccan AAR. x_X

Prologue

Throne Room of King Carlos I of Spain, Madrid, Spain
Sweat dripping from his forehead, the nervous Moroccan watched the King of the Spaniards consider his request with great trepidation. This was effectively a one-word answer that might change the course of his homeland for all of time. This was also a question that could get this mere mortal in the presence of a God-King killed.

"And what, Señor Hassan, does your Lord Ahmad intend to do if I agree?"

Almost passing out at drawing the breath, Hassan hesitated, but ultimately decided that honesty was the best policy when dealing with men who could have you killed before them at a moment's notice.

"Quite truthfully, your highness, we intend to punish them."

"I see. In that case, young man...tell Sultan Ahmad that he has my full permission to use Andalusia as his staging point. Let Algarve burn." King Carlos smiled at the sounds of his words, and leaned back with thoughts of vengeance in his heart. 'Twas not only the Moroccans who had vendettas against the Portuguese.

Hassan finally found it fit to breath a sigh of release, and knelt with his nose almost touching the floor in front of the King of Castile, Leon, Aragon (and countless other estates that for the sake of time this author will neglect to mention). "The message shall be delivered, Your Highness. You have the thanks of all Morocco."

Chapter I: "For Tangiers!"

Initial-State-of-Morroco.gif

The State of Morocco in 1521

The Palace of the Lions, FEZ, Morrocco
When word arrived at Sultan Ahmed's throne that Spain's King Carlos had agreed to allow his Grand Army to march through Gibralter and Andalusia, he was more than ecstatic. He kept his calm long enough, however, to bark an order to his Military Advisor.

"General Araj! Ready your cavalry immediately! The liberation of Tangiers is at hand!"

The general nearly fell from his chair as he leapt...or rather stumbled to his feet. "Is it so, my lord? After all these years, we shall finally have it back?!"

Ahmad smiled. "Yes, my good young man...yes. You already know the plan. Deliver it to your lessers. Let them carry it out an-"

"My Lord...if I may interject."

"But of course, lad. What is it?"

"When we capture the city...I would like to be there myself."

The Sultan smiled at both his tenacity and bravery. "So be it, then. Tangiers is yours to take. Let Algarve burn beneath your horses hooves!" He shouted with glee, unwittingly echoing the words spoken by the King of Spain only a few short days ago.

The Valley of Fear, Southern region of the Portuguese Maghreb
General Ahmad al Araj sat on his black stallion, pacing it back and forth in front of the army of over twenty-six thousand that stood before him, almost all riding similar horses, clad in black armour and weilding blackened spears and swords. The sun set to the west, and their torches would soon provide their only light along their march to Tangiers, and later to Portugal Proper.

"Gentlemen! This day you know your fate. Tomorrow is what is unclear. There are better twenty-thousand more of us than they that guard Tangiers. The Portuguese will fall TONIGHT!" Upon his shouting the word 'tonight', a shooting star flew overhead, slightly northwest- the direction of Lisbon. "You see?" Araj shouted. "We have Allah Himself on our side! We cannot possibly fail!" With the war cry of his men at his back, Araj set off due north, for the city of Tangiers.

Weeks earlier, central Afrikan nations had declared their allegiance to the Portuguese Crown. Sultan Ahmad decided that he would not have it. Portugal would never take the Maghreb, and he would start by removing them from Tangiers, and re-asserting Moroccan control there. The Portuguese had only recently pulled a ten-thousand man defence force from the city, in order to strengthen their fortifications elsewhere in Afrika. Ahmad was not too stupid to see an opportunity shoved in his face. He ordered his generals to come up with a plot, but without the port they lacked in Tangiers, it would be difficult. Without a navy of any sort, it would be impossible to take the fight directly to the Portuguese.

So Ahmad made good friends with King Carlos I, King of much of Iberia. Without Carlos' support, Morocco might as well have set a powderkeg off in the middle of the Vatican. Europe would have cried 'infidel!' and swept the 'arab scum' from Northern Afrika. Ahmad's heavy interest in Roman Catholicism, and Carlos' tolerance for Islam was a strong tie for the two, and relations between Morocco and Spain soared. They soared throughout this Portuguese war, where the Moroccans busily shattered the defences of Tangiers, and swept the city, while the Portuguese inhabitants finally fled across the Strait of Gibraltar...

Seige-of-Tangiers.gif

The Seige of Tangiers by Ahmad Al Araj's Grand Army of the Sultan

Reclaiming-Tangiers.gif

Artist's Rendition of the Reclaiming of Tangiers

City of Tangiers, Tangiers, Portuguese Maghreb
Smiling in their victory, the Moroccans poured their joy through the streets of Tangiers. Women of the city, having longed for the touch of real men- Moroccan men -threw themselves at their liberators upon the expulsion of the last Portuguese detachment. Embraces of joy, of love, and occasionally of pure sex echoed in every street and every villa of the recaptured city. The Army would sleep there that night, and move on the following day. They had a long march through Spain upcoming.

Receiving word of this victory, Sultan Ahmad immediately made plans to journey to his new territory. Though technically it was still in European hands, it was truly Moroccan again.

Throne Room of King João I of Portugal, Lisboa, Portugal
"WHAT?!" Screamed the King of Portugal, misplacing, apparently, his King of Tact title somewhere in the deserts of defeat. "Beaten by Afrikan savages?! What nonsense is this?" One of João's servants, a Moroccan herself, slipped out of the chamber in disgust. She made no sound to register her leaving, as that would probably end with her head rolling.

"My Lord...they outnumbered us five times. There is no way we could have been victorious."

"YOU RAN! You tucked tail between your legs at the sight of those uncivilised...wretched...LIONS, and you ran!"

"Your Highness, they are not as wretched as yo-"

"SILENCE! Do not dare defy your King. You will see to the defence of this city. They will certainly come here next. I want men at every port in this province, is that understood?"

"Y-...y-...yes O Lord."

"Out of my sight!"

Scrambling to his feet, the General of the Portuguese Military held back tears. There was no way he would be able to stop them. He wanted to defy his orders...demand to his King that they protect the south. The Moroccans would not toy with the throne. They didn't want the capital...

But it would've been useless. João was unmovable. Better to let him think he was right than to convince him otherwise and end up losing, he supposed. "If I cannot have an army there...I will be there myself." The man decided. He ordered his lessers to carry out the King's orders, mounted his horse, and set off at a gallop for Algarve.

Slave Chamber, Palace of the King, Lisboa, Portugal
"Go...go now!" whispered the young Moroccan girl through the caged window. A flutter of wings told her the bird was flying south. Towards home. "Praise Allah. She is not as dense as I feared."

Her chamber door slammed open, and a spear presented itself to her in a matter of moments, attached to a Portuguese Palace Guard. "Listen here, Queen of Shiba. The King Himself wants all traitors rounded up. You're coming with me."

"Traitors?! What?"

"You're Moroccan. You're a traitor to the throne. Your pathetic excuse for an Army just set foot on Portuguese soil."

"And what if I do not come?"

"My orders are that you come with me, or I kill you."

"Then it appears I have no choice. God save the King."

The guard them whipped the spear around to hit her temple with the butt of its staff. She fell coldly to the ground.

Invading-Portugal.gif

The Invasion of Portugal

Algarve, Portugal
General Araj elated in his army's second victory in as many weeks. First Tangiers is liberated, and now the entire Portuguese south would buckle under the weight of Moroccan might. The Sultan had ordered that troops march no further north. The capital was not their business. Soon, the General would receive word from his messengers that the Portuguese had surrendered governership of Tangiers to Sultan Ahmad, and wanted piece. It was time to go home.

On the long march home, a small dove circled overhead for some time, until about the time the massive army arrived in Gibralter, preparing to board the transports to cross the straight back home. It finally drifted downwards and landed on Araj's shoulder. Raising a brow, the general noticed a small rolled up piece of paper tied to its leg. Taking it with his enticed curiosity, he read it over as he waited to board his ship:

Ahmad, I cannot stand to be parted from you any longer. I implore to you come to Lisbon in your march...I must be yours again. Ever in love with you...Fatimah

All of a sudden a thousand memories flooded Araj's mind. Memories of short days of bliss, relaxing under palms by the Strait, punctuated by sweaty, sordid nights of passion 'neath the desert moon. Of watching the water glisten much as had their bodies moments before. Of Portuguese soldiers ravaging the country, ravaging the people...ravaging his lover, and capturing her.

A thousand emotions filled his heart at the same time. One of rage at her continued imprisonment...one of desire to rescue her, one of shame for thinking to disobey his lord, one of relief to know she was alive.

Finally, he resolved. Scribbling onto the back of the paper, he tied it again to the bird's leg. "Go Aisha. Bring this back to her." As if to nod in reply, the bird lifted up, circled once, and finally set off north.

"I will ever love you, too, Fatimah." Araj sighed. "I only pray to Allah I will be allowed to return to this God-forsaken continent. Existence here would be worth it just to see your beautiful face once more. Life here worth it to kiss your lips once more. Death worth it to hold you in my arms once more. I shall have you again, my Fatimah, my love. I will return you to Tangiers with me, and we shall be together in love again. I shall die otherwise."​

Last edited:
For those interested in the specifics, gamewise:

I started as Morrocco in the Age of Reformation (1520), using AGC-EEP. Not the latest version, but I'm unsure as to which, exactly. 1.4-something? maybe? Doesn't really matter, I suppose.

I got extremely lucky early on with TWO very nice state gifts (the people must really love me). I promptly used them to pump into landtech and building troops. I'm now a few months away from being on par with Europe in terms of landtech. (though in naval tech I'm AGES behind). Spain, my biggest local rival, has 12LT, I have 11!, and I started with 8. The other Maghreb nations have 9. I still have a lowly 2NT, but I'm thinking of forming an alliance with the Algerians to at least have a fairly strong naval ally.

ANYway. Hopefully this AAR will last longer than my last...which I kinda forgot about after about one post. x_X

Started it on a whim, randomly. Ultimately, my goal is to capture Granada, release them as a vassal state, and nurture them to dominate Iberia. An Alhomadic or Kaliphatic background story may be involved somewhere. Not sure. We'll see! :)

Hope you enjoy!

Oh...and a quick DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for any spelling errors or grammar errors similar to that in the title picture...It was early in the morning when I wrote this...o_o

Last edited:
Great choice of nation, Morocco is one of my favourites. Do you also plan to colonize you way down to Songhai? Anyway, keep up the good work!

A very good start. I too hope you go further with this than one post. ;) I'm not quite sure that I have ever seen a Morrocco AAR. Good luck!

Teaser for tonight's edition:

Chapitre Deux: "Comme ci, comme ça, comme Sus and Tlemcen, teux"

"You can't be serious!" stammered the Sultan.

"My leige, I implore you...imagine it...if we were to rebuild the Sultanate of Granada...create a Maghreb Kaliphate! It would be WE that the Europeans feared, not the bastard Turks!"

"But what the devil does that have to do with France?"

More coming to flesh that out sometime after 7pm USEST. :p

-------------------------------

Which lines disgust you, SunZyl?...I'm quite open to criticism- anything to make the story better! :)

Rzeczpospolita said:
Which lines disgust you, SunZyl?...I'm quite open to criticism- anything to make the story better! :)

Rzeczpospolita said:
Women of the city, having longed for the touch of real men- Morroccan men -threw themselves at their liberators upon the expulsion of the last Portuguese detachment.

Quoted four words. :wacko:

Morocco, interesting choice of nation. :)

And by the way, the title should actually be Moroccan, not Morroccan or Morrocan. ;)

Chapitre Deux: "Comme ci, comme ça, comme Sus and Tlemcen, teux"

Somewhere in the Sahara Desert, southern border of Morocco

"3."

The rains fell.

"2."

The rains fell.

"1."

The rains fell.

"NOW!"

The reins fell, and the Grand Army of the Sultan charged across the darkened dunes towards a dimly lit city in the distance. The Berber nation of the Soussis awaited there, ripe for conquering. Louder than the thunder that cracked overhead, the hooves of the marvelous beasts stirred the desert sand behind them. The terror in the eyes of their captives-to-be evidenced their tactic's effectiveness.

Before a few months were over, the Sultan of Sus had surrendered all of his territory. He was then forced, at spear-point, to march southward into the Western Sahara- a land no Moroccan man had ever traversed. Ahmad al Araj, general of the Grand Army of the Sultan then retired. He took the throne of Sus as his reward for service, though the State remained within the claws of the Moroccan Sultan.

Araj was satisfied with this, however, and began raising a small army and a navy. His plan was for Portugal. He intended to land in Lisboa with a small force, and rescue the Moroccan slaves held at the Palace of Kings there.

It would by no means be an easy task.

The Palace of the Lions, FEZ, Morocco
"O most glorious Sultan of our land, I beckon you hear my voice." said the Sultan's messenger-advisor, Yusif Hassan.

"Yes, yes." muttered the Sultan as he waved the boy to his feet. "Just stop the incessant grovelling."

"...but of course, your excellency." smiled the advisor as he rose to his feet. "My leige...I know of your dreams to recapture the Granadan Sultanate from the claws of the Spaniards. I know them well for they are my own. I also have come up with a way for you...for Morocco! to achieve them!" Cried the ecstatic young man.

"You have my attention. Go on." replied the Sultan, mildly interested.

"Imagine, if you will, my Lord, a two-fold attack. One from our own forces, and one from the East. Spain will buckle under the force of two army's, both equal to their own in strength. Not only that, but their Italian and purported colonial possessions will give them no end of trouble! We cannot lose this way!" he cried...barely able to contain his own pride at having come up with the plan.

"I don't quite understand you. You mean two naval assaults? That's risky."

"Not at all! Not at all. From the east there shall be a LAND invasion!"

"But...for that we will need military access through France. Or we will need.....you can't be serious!" stammered the Sultan.

"My leige, I implore you...imagine it...if we were to rebuild the Sultanate of Granada...create a Maghreb Kaliphate! It would be WE that the Europeans feared, not the bastard Turks!"

"But what the devil does that have to do with France? I know full well the ambitions I myself have lived...but think of it. If we attack so soon...right NOW? We have only barely begun this war."

"That is why we shall not attack anyone yet! First, we will ally ourselves with the French. Already are they allied with Tunisia...it will look far less suspicious as a result! We will form a Western European power alliance. Spain will have no choice but to submit or face the wrath! But not now...no no. First...we must cement our position as Lords of the Maghreb. Tlemcen still remains a thorn in our side with their damnable raids on our eastern merchant cities. Let them pay for this with domination!"

"...yes. Yes! You are right. Make it so, Hassan. Let us ally with the French, and let us conquer the Tlemcen!"

And so was it written, and so was it done. Morocco joined Tunisia, Cleves and Mantua in their alliance with France. Plans were drawn up for an all-out invasion of the Spanish half of the Habsburg Imperium, but with powerhouses Austria and England at their backs, the Spaniards would be a difficult enemy to fight. Funds would have to be raised, thought the Sultan, to bribe the Austrian army into surrender...

The fate of the State of Tlemcen was far different than that of Sus. No autonomy was granted, and Tlemcen and its Berber inhabitants were merely absorbed into the Moroccan realm. Having in the past ten years more than doubled the size of his lands, Sultan Ahmad smiled a satisfied smile.

Territory-Map-1.gif

Though it appears so, I do NOT control Gibraltar in this picture. The filter somewhat distorted the colour due to the size of the province. Hope you enjoy, though! :)

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the kind words, and thanks especially to Fiftypence for correcting my terrible error! I'm reasonably sure I've fixed everywhere that was wrong on that regard.

Saulta- Don't know about going towards Songhai. A new and mysterious persona has already begun colonising in that direction! I may wait for them to do the job for me...:p

Title fixed. :)

Well done expanding. That's an interesting move to ally with France, but even more interesting to see them becoming allies with "heathens." Though they did it with the Turk later on, so it makes some sense. And certainly helpful. ;)

And very interesting map. How did you do that?

I agree, that´s one cool map! And about Songhai, good, let them colonize, while you save money, :D

Keep it up!

I liked the map, too...:p It was just a magical Photoshop filter. I intend to play around with more filtes, and bring more magical maps to bear. Hopefully, you'll actually be able to read them better. :p

Anyway. I'm away for the weekend. Update may come upon my return, but I need to go job hunting, so we'll see! :)