• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saulta

Colonel
3 Badges
Aug 19, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • 500k Club
This is my second aar,and hopefully I will finish it.I will play as Taungu,v1.08,very easy/normal.I play on very easy because I want to have lots of money in the beginning :D First update is on it´s way!

THE RISE OF TAUNGU

1419-1424,The first step towards a great Burmanese nation

In 1419,Taungu was just another Burmanese nation.The nation itself was pretty small,but the army was larger than all it´s neighbours,except for the Chinese.However,the two other Burmanese nations,Myanmar and Pegu, hated us.The king awlutthinkaya (I think) was very old,and wanted to make Taungu the greatest Burmanese nation ever.

But for the moment,Taungu had a lack in diplomats,and Awlutthinkaya had to wait until february 1420 before he could declare war upon the Pegus.Pegu was the weakest of the Burmanese nations and,they had a port,which made them a great target for Awlutthinkaya.Taungus army 29.000 (25/4/0) outnumbered the Pegu army (13.000) by thousands.

So in february 1420,war was declared upon Pegu.They brougth their ally,Malacca into the war,but Awlutthinkaya did´nt consider them as a threat,since they were far away from Taungus borders.The army was split up,the infantry invaded Irrawady (Pegus capital,and only province),and the cavalry remained in Taungus capital,Bago.But as a miracle the invasion was repelled,and 3.000 Taungu soldiers died.But another invasion was planned,and some months later,20.000 soldiers made an succesful attack and Pegus army was forced to retreat.To the Taungu capital...Fortunately an newly recruited army of 7.000 infantry,and 5.000 cavalry awaited them,and repelled them.They fled back to their own capital,but was completely destroyed by the Taungu foces occupying their capital.However a force was they had another newly recruited army,but they were betaen and fled to Taungus other province,Lampang,were they,against all odds was able to win over the Taungu force.

However soon all Pegu soldiers were destroyed an in december 1420 irrawady began to fall.But Awlutthinkaya was sick and died in January 1421.His goal should instead be fulfilled by his brother,Sawlutthinkaya.In Mars he entered an alliance with Cambodia,Vientiane and Dai vet,just to ensure the safety for Taungu.

In may 1421 irrawady fell,but Pegu was´nt annexed until October the same year,since Taungu,once again,did´nt have an diplomats...

1422 was spent on trying to get a peace with Malacca,but they declined,but accepted in february 1423.The rest of the passed by pretty fast,and Sawlutthinkaya was proud of his great Burmanese nation.

Other events that took place:
The Dai vet rebellelion,started in january 1419,but was still not finished in 1424.The war was not a succes,and Chinese troops soon had contolled over the war,controlling two out of four Dai vet provinces,including the capital.

The Bengal war was fought between Bengal and Orissa.The war started in 1420,with the Bengal invasion of Orissa.Orissa held out for almost two years before they were beaten,and peace was made in summer 1423,Orissa should pay 74d and allow Bengal troops to pass freely through their country.

My comments:
Well,this ended up pretty well.I got a port and some ships,and I was able to get into a strong alliance.My army is still strong and I´m prearing for an attack against Myanmar,since they have no allies,and is being warned by Arakan and Assam.But the strange thing,is that Bengal entered a military alliance with Assam during the war,and when the war ended,so did Orissa...

Next update will be out tomorrow,and I will probably post a screenie to.You should also be prepared for a big surprise...

Saulta

A dangerous region to play in, no doubt. But it looks as though you don't have to worry about Dai Viet anytime soon. Usually, they can be quite a pain.

A good introduction, but I would counsel to make sure you check your grammatical errors before posting. I certainly understood what you had written, but to gain readership, it is always helpful to make sure there is correct spacing, capitalization of proper nouns, spelling (which looked fine to me) and punctuation.

No offense meant. Only a helpful hint to gain readership, which we all love. I always appreciate stories from this area as they are usually difficult but entertaining games. Looking forward to the screenshot and the surprise! :)

It can be a little bit of a bloodbath down there to be sure. It is always worthwhile to consider force-vassilations and diplo-annexations as well, otherwise I have found the BB can go sky-high very easily.

A good starting post though.

coz1 said:
A dangerous region to play in, no doubt. But it looks as though you don't have to worry about Dai Viet anytime soon. Usually, they can be quite a pain.

A good introduction, but I would counsel to make sure you check your grammatical errors before posting. I certainly understood what you had written, but to gain readership, it is always helpful to make sure there is correct spacing, capitalization of proper nouns, spelling (which looked fine to me) and punctuation.

No offense meant. Only a helpful hint to gain readership, which we all love. I always appreciate stories from this area as they are usually difficult but entertaining games. Looking forward to the screenshot and the surprise! :)

Yes,I know about my grammatical problems,no matter what I do it always gets all messed up.At first I was angry at you,but then I read the text again,and understoood what you ment :D

stnylan said:
It can be a little bit of a bloodbath down there to be sure. It is always worthwhile to consider force-vassilations and diplo-annexations as well, otherwise I have found the BB can go sky-high very easily.

A good starting post though.

Yes,I don´t like military-annexations either,but I was in a desperate need of a port.

Dawn of a new war

1425-1427,Taungus invasion off Myanmar

In 1421 Taungu had made an succesful invasion off Pegu.Awlutthinkaya,was the one who had started the war,but was forgotten by the people when he died in December 1420.Instead,it was his brother,Sawlutthinkaya,that got the honor.He was proud of his nation,and was determined to fulfill his brothers dream,to unite all the Burmanese peoples,under his rule.
So in January 1425 a plan was being worked out,how to attack,and destroy the biggest threat at the moment,Myanmar.

August,1425.

The people of Myanmar was´nt surprised over the declaration of war from Taungu,but they were scared.Taungu outnumbered and out-teched Myanmar.Taungu was even a part of a big alliance.Things did´nt look good for Myanmar...In september 18.000 men from Taungu invaded the capital of Myanmar.Myanmars army was surprised,and fled to Irrawady.In January,Taungus allies,Cambodia,Dai vet,and Vientiane helped Taungu to besiege the two provinces,of Mandalay and Shan.The Myanmar lands were filled with soldiers,and in Mars,Mandalay fell.But,the Myanmar soldiers that were sieging Irrawady was able to make some progress,but,as they were just one step from breaking the enemy walls,a Taungu army came and destroyed most of the Myanmar army,which had to retreat.When they were marching towards Mandalay,they were informed that Shan had fallen to Taungu,and peace was signed.Myanmar had to give Taungu 71d and Shan.Myanmar was broken,and Taungu had gotten even bigger...

ScreenSave1.jpg

Sawlutthinkaya celebrated for a week.His biggest enemy was beaten,and now,nothing could stop Taungu from becoming the greatest Burmanese nation ever...

Other events that took place:
Dai vet and china finally came to a solution after nearly 6 years of war.In January 1425,Dai vet accepted peace with China,giving them 53d.Dai vet was finally free,but with no money.This was the price they had to pay to become free...
Delhis war against Malwa.Little is known about this war,since Taungu only knows about Delhi.

My comments:
Well,I was able to disable Myanmar,and to gain more territory.I plan to attack Myanmar once more,to force vassalize or annex them.It depends on how good/bad my reputation is.Next update probably will be out on Thursday or Wednesday.

Saulta

Last edited:
jwolf said:
The terrain in SE Asia is almost impossibly difficult to move and fight in. Good luck with a very challenging game as Taungu. What are your goals for the game?

Welcome jwolf!
My goals is to annex Myanmar,since they are my biggest enemy,and then to take all my cores,then maybe I will expand into India to_Or if I want a suicide mission,I could always attack China :D

Your biggest enemy in the beginning is the isolation penalty. Try to avoid annexing nations except as absolutely necessary. By the way, what cores does Taungu have? All the Burmanese culture provinces?

PS - Congratulations on taking Shan. I still shudder at the memory of my Dai Viet game, trying to capture that province during the 1600s. Myanmar had revolted from China with advanced tech and a level 3 fort, with supply limit of 4. :wacko: That was the most agonizing conquest I've ever had.

Nice work, but as mentioned - be careful with too many annexations. But it's probably helpful to have Dai Viet on your side, even if they don't have any money at the moment. And I'll be curious to see how you do with trade as that seems to be the hardest part for me when I play in that region.

A good start, but perhaps now time for consolidation? What are your finances like?

jwolf said:
Your biggest enemy in the beginning is the isolation penalty. Try to avoid annexing nations except as absolutely necessary. By the way, what cores does Taungu have? All the Burmanese culture provinces?

I annexed Pegu because I needed a port as fast as possible.Taungu has cores on All the Burmanese provinces except for one.

Saulta said:
I annexed Pegu because I needed a port as fast as possible.

Agreed. Do be careful from this point, though. When I played Dai Viet I delayed annexations several times until new nations were discovered in compensation. I was dancing just above or below the isolation penalty limit for about 150 years if I remember correctly. And China has the annoying habit of gobbling up minors every now and then. Of course it goes the other way, too, with an occasional revolter nation appearing.

Trading effectively will probably be nearly impossible for a long time with a SE Asian nation. You get hardly any merchants anyway, and the competition is really tough.

Good luck.

stnylan said:
A good start, but perhaps now time for consolidation? What are your finances like?

I have 55d in my treasury,and I get 4d a year...
I n other words,terrible :rofl:

jwolf said:
Trading effectively will probably be nearly impossible for a long time with a SE Asian nation. You get hardly any merchants anyway, and the competition is really tough.QUOTE]

Yes,I get 2.4 merchants a year,and the competition is really tough.I´m glad if I only have one merchant in a CoT.

I found out that Taungu was´nt a fun country to play as.But I will not abandon this aar.Instead I will choose another,non-european country,and continue with that one.

Any ideas with nation I should play as?

Sorry ,that I could´nt play more than ten years with Taungu ,before getting bored :p

Please pardon my boldness, Saulta, but IMHO you have just arrived at the point where playing Taungu is really interesting. Now you see just how difficult it will be for Taungu to do things that come almost automatically for Europeans. Now you see just how much careful planning it will take to really get Taungu off the ground and flying high. You might need some luck -- most of us do -- but with a bit of luck, good management, and a lot of patience, you can make Taungu into a strong regional power. That will be a story to read. ;)

jwolf said:
Please pardon my boldness, Saulta, but IMHO you have just arrived at the point where playing Taungu is really interesting. Now you see just how difficult it will be for Taungu to do things that come almost automatically for Europeans. Now you see just how much careful planning it will take to really get Taungu off the ground and flying high. You might need some luck -- most of us do -- but with a bit of luck, good management, and a lot of patience, you can make Taungu into a strong regional power. That will be a story to read. ;)

You just made me change my mind :D
I will continue with Taungu,a short update coming soon!

That's good to hear, Saulta. Glad you plan to keep it up. :)