• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8697)

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
The manual says Clerks can work in factories, but it seems you cannot have a factory with only clerks. I don't know if you can have a factory with only craftsmen. Is there some sort of ratio needed?

If nobody knows the asnwer yet, I'm going to fool around when I get home.

Originally posted by MrKen
The manual says Clerks can work in factories, but it seems you cannot have a factory with only clerks. I don't know if you can have a factory with only craftsmen. Is there some sort of ratio needed?

3 craftmen and 2 clerks, or more craftsmen. Since clerks give bonus though, this is the optimal set-up.

Originally posted by MrKen

You can have 5 crafstmen. Depending on the numbers of people in each pop in your factory, you'll get more or less output. For example, a factory with 100K people in it will get more output than a factory with only 5K, even is the 5 people spaces are full.

That being said, I heard having 4 craftsmen and 1 clerk is optimal.

For a factory of level n, you can have 3n craftsmen POPs and 2n clerk POPs working. An additionaly rule is that you must have at least as many craftsmen POPs as clerk POPs working The optimal ratio is 3 craftsmen and 2 clerks.

In other words, stuff as many clerks into your manufactories as you possibly can.

Originally posted by Olaf the Unsure
How does one get Craftsmen/Clerks? Only by converting Farmers/Laborers? Or will Craftsmen show up through immigration?

Converting is the main way although they can immigrate. Also, when a Pop reaches 100k it spawns a new pop of the same type.

Thanks for the replies!

In my level 3 factories(15 capacity) I was able to assign 9 craftsmen and 6 clerks. I could not get it to accept any more clerks, and when I upgraded a craftsman working in the factory to a clerk, they became unemployed.

I did notice higher output, but I don't have the exact numbers. I dumplicated it in two of my big money factories and my tax revenue seemed to go up about 200 pounds. Some of that could have been for other reasons, like the addition of some capitalists who had once been unemployed clerks.

BusterBunny said:
You can have 5 crafstmen. Depending on the numbers of people in each pop in your factory, you'll get more or less output. For example, a factory with 100K people in it will get more output than a factory with only 5K, even is the 5 people spaces are full.

That being said, I heard having 4 craftsmen and 1 clerk is optimal.

From what I've found you have to have at least one clerk for every four craftsmen. This may be a result of the 1.01 patch, but IIRC the game requires at least a 4:1 ratio and no more than a 3:2 ratio (of craftsmen to clerks). I think the optimal ratio is 3:2 for the purpose of production but I haven't experimented with it enough to really get a feel if one is better than the other. Obviously more clerks are better for research points, so as others have already stated 3:2 might be the best overall solution. Has anyone actually broken down all the benefits of 3:2 vs. 4:1?