• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(18802)

Second Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
VERY ANNOYING thing in this game

I just got my copy of Victoria yesterday and I have been playing it almost solid since yesterday morning....GREAT game, I love the diplomacy options and detailed stuff although there could be a little less micromanagement.

HOWEVER, one thing that is driving me INSANE is how when MY units are on enemy territory they dissolve in no time to nothing but somehow when I have captured the whole of mainland France as Germany they are still managing to walk around in their completely grey country in enemy territory sieging provinces and not taking ANY attrition and whats even WORSE they appear to be able to reinforce their units!!!! I am spending hours chasing units of 10000 men in territory I have captured with units of 150000 ***taking attrition myself!!!!*** Its ruined my fun, its as annoying as in EUII when this *exact same thing* happened

Please Paradox, when you destroy an enemy army behind your lines with no friendly provinces to retreat to, have them destroyed like in HOI because that is the most realistic way and otherwise it will drive us MAD!!!!

Re: VERY ANNOYING thing in this game

Originally posted by MrBleeble
I just got my copy of Victoria yesterday and I have been playing it almost solid since yesterday morning....GREAT game, I love the diplomacy options and detailed stuff although there could be a little less micromanagement.

HOWEVER, one thing that is driving me INSANE is how when MY units are on enemy territory they dissolve in no time to nothing but somehow when I have captured the whole of mainland France as Germany they are still managing to walk around in their completely grey country in enemy territory sieging provinces and not taking ANY attrition and whats even WORSE they appear to be able to reinforce their units!!!! I am spending hours chasing units of 10000 men in territory I have captured with units of 150000 ***taking attrition myself!!!!*** Its ruined my fun, its as annoying as in EUII when this *exact same thing* happened

Please Paradox, when you destroy an enemy army behind your lines with no friendly provinces to retreat to, have them destroyed like in HOI because that is the most realistic way and otherwise it will drive us MAD!!!!

That's bizarre, in my games I have the HoI effect, and I always look for ways to pocket enemy troops to destroy their divisions. For example, as Sweden fighting France, I would go in and occupy provinces around a french province with a large group of french troops- fight around them eventually closing them off- completely surrounding them with occupied territory. Finally I'll send armies in to strike the pocket and I'll destroy whatever was inside

Re: VERY ANNOYING thing in this game

to avoid that, just leave some forces behind as "peacekeepers"... ;)
After all is *their* territorry and not yours until you annex it... you just control it, but if there is nobody there to *control* it, then it is good that people take arms and take the province back to their true owner. ;)

Might I suggest that you
  1. Detach a few divisions around the occupied areas ready to hunt down partisans as they arise? It is much easier to deal with partisans when your troops are already in the vicinity
  2. Hunt small groups of partisans with groups of one or two divisions, rather than a bleeding 15 division stack army?
  3. Consider the value of cavalry/hussar divisions as a rapid reaction force against partisans?
Partisans are here to stay - unless you kill them off.

It is to have attrition on hostile territory, where the population hates you. You will face passive and active resistance on small (single killings and small ambushes) and big scale (rebellions, uprisings) and before the 19th century (including the Crimean war) big proportion of the troops casualties ware from disease and desertions.

I don’t have the game yet, is it the magnitude, which bothers you?

I see someone renamed this thread....

Here I am playing it again, later on. I am trying to win this war with france but every TWO SECONDS another rebel stack pops up. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that I have to leave 1 division on EVERY occupied province....? That is ridiculous, surely by now Paradox have realised that the major problem with their games is tedious annoying popups and micromanagement. To split off 1 unit from all of my armies for each of the 106 provinces france owns would be sooooooo tedious, and then what would be the point of having to siege the damn province to control it in the first place....? If it was instant like in HOI that would be slightly more acceptable. This is ridiculous.

All they have left is claims and still the annoying rebels pop up out of nowhere. There will no POPs left to conquer at this rate

I have spent the last hour trying to take their last provinces and for every new one I take, another miracle army spawns to take one from me. Their entire mainland is grey and they still pop up 326 troops to fight 10000!!!! you would think that after the first 100000 or so revolts failed theyd realise it was pointless!!!! It is so infuriating to sit there and click annoying popups that come up every 2 seconds for 50 million hours in this tedious micromanagement hell and they actually expect people like me to PAY for the experience!!!! They are lucky they still have me as a customer

Another thing. It doesnt even TELL YOU when the rebels spawn so unless you babysit half the map the first you know about it is when you lose the province!!!! It is a nightmare

I also have to babysit the whole of africa!!!! I am NOT making 300 units of troops and placing one on each province in africa!!!! this current war has taken 2 years, in the first 4 months I took the whole of france and africa and ever since then I have been trying to take their far flung colonies in order to annex them (which is ridiculous) while clicking a stupid popup every 1 second as I go!!!! this is not a game, this is a test of my patience!!!!

Last edited:
I usually leave a few cavalry divisions behind in occupied territories. They are fast and take care of the small guerilla groops quite easily. Note that the chance of guerillas popping up is greatly reduced if you have a unit in the province. I position them that they can cover a few surrounding provinces and place them at strategic locations.

Since guerilla units are usually small, you most of the times have enough time to crush them before they take back a province from you.

Sounds like the 'whack-a-mole' rebels are back...not good...

I see someone renamed this thread....

Here I am playing it again, later on. I am trying to win this war with france but every TWO SECONDS another rebel stack pops up. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that I have to leave 1 division on EVERY occupied province....? That is ridiculous, surely by now Paradox have realised that the major problem with their games is tedious annoying popups and micromanagement. To split off 1 unit from all of my armies for each of the 106 provinces france owns would be sooooooo tedious, and then what would be the point of having to siege the damn province to control it in the first place....? If it was instant like in HOI that would be slightly more acceptable. This is ridiculous.

All they have left is claims and still the annoying rebels pop up out of nowhere. There will no POPs left to conquer at this rate

I have spent the last hour trying to take their last provinces and for every new one I take, another miracle army spawns to take one from me. Their entire mainland is grey and they still pop up 326 troops to fight 10000!!!! you would think that after the first 100000 or so revolts failed theyd realise it was pointless!!!! It is so infuriating to sit there and click annoying popups that come up every 2 seconds for 50 million hours in this tedious micromanagement hell and they actually expect people like me to PAY for the experience!!!! They are lucky they still have me as a customer

most definitely not a good thing. sounds like a tremendous test of patience and a player might need a dose of masochism in order to enjoy this game. i wonder why no one mentioned this before when i inquired about whether the game has too much micromanagement? as it is, it sounds like it is micromanagement hell without a doubt. perhaps paradox instituted this to balance off the 'one cavalry division taking and holding ten provinces,' but having rebels popping up every two seconds like what mrbleeble says is utterly ridiculous. sounds like the safest way to avoid this is to concentrate on socioeconomic aspects and wage only limited wars.

I love it. HoI should have had the same system to model partisans.

I tend to leave a division in every captured province. I will not push forward without reserves to defend what I've captured, otherwise my armies can get cut off.

Its really not bad, just need to work with the system, and defend your gains.

I organize my armies into 3-4 major stacks of guards and artillery, then I follow them with 5 or so 1 div stacks to hold territory and act as a desperation reserve.

Basically - it just makes it harder to conquer your enemy using a shoe string army.

Originally posted by Jack Frost
I love it. HoI should have had the same system to model partisans.

Exactly (though I doubt HoI will be modified in this manner, the idea is good).

I'd suppose that if you want to reduce/get rid of the problem, make peace even if you'll only annex a couple of provinces...

the rebels are soo small that you will not loose all the POPs in the provinces...
Maybe the ammount of revolts "sometimes" can be annoying, but, if you do not leave any reserve troop behind, i see that as a good thing...
In my last game, like most of the players suggest, i left some cavalry units behind, each one covering a "radius" of provinces.... no problem with the rebels... some seldom ones but nothing disturbing... :D
And the change of the subject is good... now you know what you are goind to see when you enter in this thread. ;)

Another thing. It doesnt even TELL YOU when the rebels spawn so unless you babysit half the map the first you know about it is when you lose the province!!!! It is a nightmare

I'd definitely welcome a message box for this one. It really is hard to fight a country with far flung colonial holdings without it, since as he points out, putting a division on every single province and running round reinforcing them periodically is just tedious micromanagement hell. Miss one revolt and the 300 rebels miracolusly become 10000.

I think this rebel thing is just great! As some others have pointed, HOI should had included something similar. This simulates the real world need of occupation forces, one cannot let 10 million civilians of enemy nation unwatched between one´s army and supply base.