• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NAM

First Lieutenant
15 Badges
Oct 21, 2004
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
First of all, I want to thank PI for the great game, even though, it has some problems but I am sure they will be sorted out.

Now, I have a question regarding leaders.

1. Do the Corps, Army, Army group,and theater leaders skills mater in combat? I am asking because I don't see their effect in the combat modifiers. If they don't, then, why would I promote Rommel? I will just keep him as a Mjr. Gen. Unless, their skill counts when AI is turned on.

1. Do the Corps, Army, Army group,and theater leaders skills matter in combat?
Yes and no.

Skills of superior Generals are applied directly to the function performed by that level of HQ... rotating reserves in-and-out of combat, improving Supply efficiency, improving Organization, reducing the stacking penalty... RTFM.

Traits of superior Generals are passed down to the combat formations. Each level of command halves the bonus... Corps = 1/2, Army = 1/4, Army Group = 1/8, Theatre = 1/16... but of course, this "diluted" is applied to many units at once, since a Theatre can command hundreds of Divisions, passing on 1/16th of the General's Trait bonus to each.

Wow that was pretty cool....

Today I decided to seperate my 4 Star Army Group General.

I attacked the enemy because he was surrounded due to the fact the Win rate was high but high enough. Hence, my General would be in combat long enough to gain experience.

HQ was alone, no brigade was attached. Upon entering the province the General immediately took over command due to his rank. I viewed the combat.

I actually saw the divsion rotate to reserve.

I came back a few minutes later and this time I saw the HQ swap from reserve to the front line. That was cool... :cool:

So I can tell you rotation of your forces does work.

He also gained .020 in experience.

Unit cooperation penalty? What is that?

You get a 1% penalty for each brigade over 12 (?) in the battle, including reserves, and the Theatre Commander reduces this penalty 1% for each skill point.

IIRC this penalty was put in to prevent using support brigade heavy divisions to get around the combat width restrictions.