• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Herr von Steuben,

The landscape, which initially excited me with its raw and naked beauty, is now nothing but a boring repetition of trees and mountains. I swear, it is only my young companion’s insatiable hunger for learning and the conversation that it provides that has kept me sane.

Otherwise I might have used my shaving razor to end my suffering already.

Sincerely,

signatureqe9.png

Johannes Krieger
October 1, 1854​

__________________________________________________________________________________________

AbdulrahmanITitleFinal.png

Part Twenty-nine
A Builder of Empires

AbdulrahmanIportraitfinal.png

- Sultan Abdulrahman I

The rebellious peasants in the northern Crimea had been crushed in a swift campaign, but the effects of the widespread looting and banditry spreading from Poland would last for much longer. Sultan Bayezid II was thus forced to increase the garrisons in the region to cope with the threat to domestic peace. Unfortunately for the Sultan, this would be his last act as Padishah as he died suddenly in the early spring of 1514, leaving his eldest son Abdulrahman a Ottoman Empire recovering from a costly war and a series of explosive insurrections.

AAR011514.png

'I was never my father’s favorite, for I took it upon myself to strengthen my mind as well
as my sword arm. Yet I loved him as a son should. And where he was a conqueror of lands,
I shall be a builder of empires the likes of which has never been seen.'

- Sultan Abdulrahman I, personal diaries

Sultan Abdulrahman I was a product of a Turkish monarchy that was less a warlord of tribal horsemen and more akin to our western concepts of how the nobility raised their offspring. Young Abdul had been raised not only as a warrior by his personal guards but had gained a fine education in Constantinople, learning from trained scholars about Islamic law and the finer arts of diplomacy. His fascination with learning had been a sore point with his father, who was not inclined to learn the finer points of administering such a large empire. Preferring a sword in his hand to a book Bayezid had not refrained from ridiculing his son in private, even going so far as to consider passing the throne to Abdul’s younger brother.

Abdulrahman was one of the first of the Turkish sultan’s actively write and much of what we know about early life in the Ottoman Court comes from his diaries and letters. Possessing a sharp mind Abdul would often engage in debate with scholars in matters from engineering to medicine to theology, the latter of which would cause trouble with the priesthood later in his reign. Yet the new Sultan’s first test would not be a theoretical discussion with a learned man, but an invasion on the Empire’s eastern borders.

Ak Koyunlu was a tribal nation to the east of Anatolia, created by the same breed of tough horsemen that had founded the Ottoman Empire centuries before. Their Sultan Muhammad III had forged close ties with the powerful Persian nation through marriage and saw an opportunity to the west as news of revolt spread. For him the rich lands of the Ottoman Turks were perfect room to expand into while Persia had its own designs on Iraq, which lay as a small buffer between the Ottomans and the Persians. The Ottoman state seemed to be at their weakest: still recovering from war, rebellion, and the sudden death of their old monarch. Scenting a perfect opportunity Muhammad III convinced his allies to go to war, seeing a chance to strike in nearby Iraq.

AAR111516.png

During the invasion of Mameluke territory Bayezid had declared Iraq a protected nation, marrying some of his relatives into the Iraqi royal family in the hope of pulling the Iraqi’s into an alliance to protect his flank from possible Persian aggression. As Persian soldiers crossed over the border in the spring of 1515 Abdul was presented with a true crisis only months after his father’s death, one that would need to be carefully managed if he were to survive as monarch. If he refused to aid Iraq he and his nation would seem like a frail and easy target, prompting further resistance to Ottoman growth. Even with a nation not fully recovered fully from war Abdulrahman could see that to stay neutral was to invite only more attention to Turkish weakness. With no other choice he ordered the levied troops to be raised for another campaign, hoping to finish the war before the Empire’s coffers ran empty and he was forced to return home.

AAR041515.png

The most important and critical component of Abdulrahman’s plans were the Janissaries, who would not need the time to prepare for war like the bulk of his forces. These professional soldiers, while expensive to maintain during peace, proved to be well worth the costs when they scored a series of small victories in the Caucasus Mountains, taking a number of critical fortresses that guarded the few mountain passes open to larger armies. Holding these allowed him to slow his enemies progress until Turkish forces could be assembled.

The pace of the campaign was frantic in 16th century terms as Abdulrahman pushed his men hard, using long marches to bring his exhausted armies to the new front in record time. Needing to rebuild his forces quickly Abdulrahman relied less on volunteers and more on conscription to fill his ranks, often dragging men away from their farms at spear point. While this bred serious discontentment amongst the Arab populations, who were the primary source of recruits, it proved to be well worth a disgruntled farmer or two when Persian forces outside Mosul were eradicated by an Ottoman army much larger than what they had counted on, earning Abdul glory as a skilled and competent field commander.

AAR091516.png

The War of 1515 was over almost as soon as it began. Ottoman armies were able to raise men faster than anyone in the Persian alliance had counted on, negating any numerical advantage the Persians had in the beginning stages of the war. And Sultan Abdulrahman I was able to demonstrate that the Ottoman Empire was still to be feared and respected, even when weakened from within. The Sultan had proved himself a worthy ruler and further solidified the Ottoman Empire's position as the most powerful state in the Muslim world.

AAR101516.png

- Johannes Krieger, The Sublime State: A History of The Ottoman Empire; vol. 1

Last edited:
Quite some bad events in the previous update! I understand MM has an obscene amount of those. The good ones seem to be in less quantity, hopefully better quality though? :)

Luckily, it does not seem to bother your ability to wage war, although from the war overview in the screenie, it doesn't look like a big deal at all.

Still a lot of expansion...but expansion, while you can, is a good thing.

Abdulrahman is off to a good start! He's already proven that he can wage war effectively and with those stats, he should shortly show a like mastery of more peaceful activities.

I'm curious to see whether that means an actual prolonged period of peace. So far, the Ottomans appear to be genetically incapable of abstaining from war. ;)

More excellent history book, wonderful....
All hail the Ottoman Emperor, Scholar, Warrior and Diplomat

congrats on victory,
MMP may be hard and punishing at times, but with such a monarch, ruling one of the most potential powers i'm sure the Sublime State will be fine
i'm more interested in those mentioned differences on matters of religion between the Padishah and the learned men

Quite some bad events in the previous update! I understand MM has an obscene amount of those. The good ones seem to be in less quantity, hopefully better quality though? :)

Luckily, it does not seem to bother your ability to wage war, although from the war overview in the screenie, it doesn't look like a big deal at all.

It was when you consider that their cavalry almost equalled my own, yet I had to keep some of my forces in the Crimea to suppress any revolters, while Mameluke patriots might threaten my newly conquered territory.

Still a lot of expansion...but expansion, while you can, is a good thing.

The Sublime Blob.

A scholar rules the Ottomans! Surely this is a sign that Allah approves of the House of Osman becoming the Refuge of the World at last? :)

We follow Allah and the word of his prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to glory and conquest!

... as long as we don't get 'Framed' any time soon. . .

Abdulrahman is off to a good start! He's already proven that he can wage war effectively and with those stats, he should shortly show a like mastery of more peaceful activities.

I'm curious to see whether that means an actual prolonged period of peace. So far, the Ottomans appear to be genetically incapable of abstaining from war. ;)

Abdulrahman may be a smart and learned man, but I wasn't just putting that quote about his strong sword arm because his quills are heavy.

Armenia shan't be owned by Georgia soon.

Finger's crossed! :D

More excellent history book, wonderful....
All hail the Ottoman Emperor, Scholar, Warrior and Diplomat

And all around swell guy!

Thanks for the compliment as well!

congrats on victory,
MMP may be hard and punishing at times, but with such a monarch, ruling one of the most potential powers i'm sure the Sublime State will be fine
i'm more interested in those mentioned differences on matters of religion between the Padishah and the learned men

Thanks!It will definetly come to a head in the next update (after today's, I mean).

Herr von Steuben,

A blessed break at last! Herr Abate and I have decided to rest for a few days in Sofia, a wonderful town that I remember visiting on my down from Berlin. It is a very metropolitan city with the important Hungary line running through it.

It is also a wonderful place to visit due to the number of buildings dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries, which show that curious blend of western and eastern architecture that appears in formerly Christian lands annexed by the Ottoman Empire. I think that it would be best to take things at a slower pace, what with all the troubles up north and that liberal madness. How anyone can take Karl Marx seriously is beyond myself. The man should have been strung up long ago!

So I have decided to visit a few libraries and write some more. This will also give me a chance to show Herr Abate how real historians conduct research.

Sincerely,

signatureqe9.png

Johannes Krieger
October 2, 1854​

aartitlebarfinalyu1.png

Part Thirty
An Eye on the Future

AAR121516.png

Sultan Abdulrahman’s handling of the Persian conflict was perfectly executed, showing his nobles and any neighboring nations that the Ottoman Empire was far from weakened by the Peasant uprisings in Poland or the death of a famed monarch. Not only had he demonstrated that Ottoman military dominance in the Middle East was almost absolute, he had secured more territory in the east that would further tighten Turkish control over the trade routes to Asia.

AAR021515.png

AAR031515.png

Immediately embarking on a transformation of the Ottoman economy, Abdulrahman dispatched royal assessors to reorganize the land distribution in a number of provinces. Many territories were corrupt at the local level or suffered from inefficient agricultural use of the land, both of which were unacceptable to the new Sultan. He personally confiscated and redistributed land within Thrace to show his agents just what he expected of them, taking what had been historically public grazing areas and other unused fields and placing them in the hands of farmers.

While an unpopular move amongst the lower classes who used such grasslands to raise their herds it was a very effective move: tax returns from provinces where land was reorganized saw a very noticeable increase. With the Imperial treasury so depleted after two wars and a number of minor revolts, the extra income was crucial to fund the Empire’s activities.

AAR071515.png

While the economy was Abdulrahman’s first priority he was also working to improve the already mighty Ottoman military by funding a number of new endeavors, including the construction of a massive structure along the waterfront of Constantinople that would remain the primary training center for Turkish officers from 1515 to this very day; having seen the academy in person I can attest to its grandeur. Abdulrahman also worked to spread training centers out into other major urban areas, seeking to raise the best and brightest of potential military officers correctly.

AAR131517.png

Education was a large emphasis of Abdulrahman’s reign; he created some of Europe’s first public schooling for the Muslim merchant classes in Constantinople. Other religious groups, due to the structure of Ottoman society, were mostly left to educate themselves along their own guidelines.

AAR221519.png

Beyond training Abdulrahman also desired to improve production methods to equip and army his forces with the best armaments. In its current form the permanent Janissary corps had the largest relative ratio of muskets to polearms, but with the bulk of his army raised from levied and volunteering civilians he saw the wisdom in being able to equip both groups of soldiers to a higher standard. There was also a need to standardize the Ottoman's artillery to ease logistical problems by producing a more uniform size of gun.

Expanding production was costly in the extreme, and coupled with the Sultan’s other projects the Empire was soon running a large debt to pay for it all. Many in the Ottoman government began to raise doubts about trying to accomplish so much so shortly, but Abdulrahman was adamant and refused to cut back. He was a whirlwind of activity that would hold long meetings with his advisors in Topkapı Palace and discuss even small details, a polar opposite to his father’s approach to ruling. For Abdulrahman the High Porte was a crucial element to governing the Empire effectively.

AAR171518.png

Benefits from Abdulrahman projects were felt almost immediately as the nation recovered from the long conflicts, spurred on by the massive spending that helped employ the soldiers who were released from service in the Sultan’s armies. Numerous writings from the period emphasize the feelings of optimism that the new Padishah created.

Yet Abdulrahman was not a simple monarch who just desired a stable income to support his extravagant lifestyle: he had plans for the Ottoman Empire that would see him eclipse his father, the man who sacked Rome, to become one of the most well known Sultan's in the Ottoman Classical Period.

- Johannes Krieger, The Sublime State: A History of The Ottoman Empire; vol. 1

Last edited:
Is this guy God or merely an awesome monarch?
In my games, its generally just me getting 3/3/3 monarchs after a Regency council, while having a trade crisis in a war against France. As Alsace.

So Abdulrahman is planning something big with all that money... something to eclipse the sack of Rome?! :eek:

daemonofdecay said:
Johannes Krieger
September 32, 1854​

September 32?!!! Even, come to think of it, September 31?!!

Ah.

Administrative-ey stuff.

Interesting to know you're running a deficit. Brave.

Ah, fine, nuanced analysis from Herr Doktor Krieger again. Particularly in his assessment of his fellow national Herr Marx. :D

Good, sensible actions by the Padishah. A flurry of peaceful activities, that will doubtlessly result in a flurry of warlike activities later (not that big a stretch, considering the last paragraph of the update). :)

Very clever your way of playing and put to good use the present ruler. In 20 or so years, if luck and fate doesn't steal you the opportunity the Ottomans will reap the rewards...

You'll have much more to spend your money on in MMP2 to prevent what you are about to achieve: An uncontrolable growth potential.
You are at the stage that only the AE system and time stands between you and WC. But until 550 provinces you are free to go...

which version are you playing? you started with 1.2, right? in 1.404 'promote land enclosure' comes at a much bigger cost: you get only +5% local tax mod for +1local rr, 12 temporary rr AND +20 sab cost (the last being the real turn-off) so playing OE i'd enact it only in the capital i guess

i hope Vienna is the long-term goal, the short-term one being Alexandria/Cairo; is it what Abdul is after now? or is it Mekka/Medina?

as for Sept 32, come on aldriq, Abdul must have 'revolutionised' the calendar as well! :p

as for Sept 32, come on aldriq, Abdul must have 'revolutionised' the calendar as well! :p

I was thinking more along the lines of Herr Krieger going mad or being poisoned by some dark agent... :eek: A bit disappointed when I saw the date corrected :rolleyes:

Is this guy God or merely an awesome monarch?
In my games, its generally just me getting 3/3/3 monarchs after a Regency council, while having a trade crisis in a war against France. As Alsace.

He is a fabulous monarch, but as these things seem to go you know he is never going to live for that long with stats that good.

So Abdulrahman is planning something big with all that money... something to eclipse the sack of Rome?! :eek:

September 32?!!! Even, come to think of it, September 31?!!

:eek:o

Fixed! Man, do I feel like an idiot for not remembering to check the date. . .

Ah.

Administrative-ey stuff.

Interesting to know you're running a deficit. Brave.

Not something to be proud of. But I felt that roleplaying would be more interesting than just going for the best attempt, so I took out a loan to purchase beyond my means.

Ah, fine, nuanced analysis from Herr Doktor Krieger again. Particularly in his assessment of his fellow national Herr Marx. :D

Good, sensible actions by the Padishah. A flurry of peaceful activities, that will doubtlessly result in a flurry of warlike activities later (not that big a stretch, considering the last paragraph of the update). :)

The Sultan may be a learned man, but he is no coward!

Classical period?
Hegemony over Mediterranean as an aim?

Of course!

Wow, I got to say...

Your way of playing the ottomans fascinates me.

I mean all those Conquests! I hope they continue into the 18th Century as Blobbers and not as Losers :)

Grab Vienna NOW! For the Sublime Padishah

Vienna may be difficult, especially if the Austrians are Emperor. Its hard to fight the numberless hordes of the HRE!

Very clever your way of playing and put to good use the present ruler. In 20 or so years, if luck and fate doesn't steal you the opportunity the Ottomans will reap the rewards...

You'll have much more to spend your money on in MMP2 to prevent what you are about to achieve: An uncontrolable growth potential.
You are at the stage that only the AE system and time stands between you and WC. But until 550 provinces you are free to go...

I'm not aiming for a WC, and personally dont thing I could come close even in Vanilla. I'm trying to role play a bit, so don't expect the Ottomans to win every war that comes their way.

which version are you playing? you started with 1.2, right? in 1.404 'promote land enclosure' comes at a much bigger cost: you get only +5% local tax mod for +1local rr, 12 temporary rr AND +20 sab cost (the last being the real turn-off) so playing OE i'd enact it only in the capital i guess

i hope Vienna is the long-term goal, the short-term one being Alexandria/Cairo; is it what Abdul is after now? or is it Mekka/Medina?

Abdul did, but Herr Krieger doesn't use the Islamic calendar.

I was thinking more along the lines of Herr Krieger going mad or being poisoned by some dark agent... :eek: A bit disappointed when I saw the date corrected :rolleyes:

Sorry for correcting that error. You can imagine that the date is still incorrect if you wish. :D