• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent update, both in tone and content. Seems that the mod models the relations between the Ottomans and the North African states quite nicely. Oh, and having that income stream from the pirates - nice.

As far as Krieger goes, I hope he's skipping town in time. He's been sitting still in Albania rather longer than is healthy for him, with those mysterious government assassins in tow...

Goodness of the Religion? Ouch...

:rofl:

authorpiclate.png

Damn real life issues... ;)

Hail Barbarossa, better than the german Barbarossa!

Of course. My Barbarossa actually has a jacket with him for when it gets chilly out.

Just don't besiege St.Elmo and all will be fine.

I'm surprised at the amount of loot he generates, to be honest. 50-60 gold?

Yes. He is quite the successful buccaneer.

are those pirate events from the mod or the original game?

The mod.

The mod of course.

Yeah, what he said.

interesting to see the berbery pirates from the other side of the stick
you mentioned the mamluks, a war is looming?

Oh yes. The Ottoman Empire will not stand to have the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem in the hands of possible heretics!

Ottoman pirates?

Awesome...

Future domination over the Arab world?

Awesomer.....

I think so too. Great minds think alike, eh?

Second that, Ottoman pirates are cool. Would be a nice propaganda piece. Pirates of the Mediterranean. :)

I had a movie poster a few pages back, but I think it was specifically refering to The Knights and their evil, pirate ways.

Excellent update, both in tone and content. Seems that the mod models the relations between the Ottomans and the North African states quite nicely. Oh, and having that income stream from the pirates - nice.

As far as Krieger goes, I hope he's skipping town in time. He's been sitting still in Albania rather longer than is healthy for him, with those mysterious government assassins in tow...

I am glad you enjoyed it. Honestly it was one of my favorite chapters to write so far, and I liked the way it came out. Usually I'm pretty self-critical about my writings.

Yeah, Krieger does need to leave town soon. It would be a shame if he were to 'disappear' now, don't you think?

Goodness of the Religion? Ouch...

:rofl:

Gotta love translated names and titles. They always sound a little wonky, but especially when a one-word name needs four to explain it.

the root of all evil?! ;)

Never! The Ottomans are a force of peace, prosperity, and war. I mean love!

Damn real life issues... ;)

I know. My father nearly blew out his knee helping me move a TV out of the apartment. We gave to some neighbors, so they could deal with it! :D

And since I've gotten most of my stuff packed away, I'll try and get a new chapter done soon.

Ok then, new update for everyone!

Well, not a real update. But it's better than nothing, so no complaining.

Due to sickness and continuing real life issues (including a speeding ticket, which was completely not my fault), I have not been able to put pen to paper (or finger to board as the case may be) towards the next chapter.

But even in my heavily medicated state I could still accomplish something. The next update should be suitably EPIC to make up for almost a full month gone by, including a nice map that took me quite a while to finish.

I thought about posting the map early as a teaser, but decided that would be a real waste. So instead I present to both my readers a flag that took me a few minutes to whip up.

flagimperialstandardfin.jpg

It's the Imperial Standard for the Ottoman Empire. The flag that lets everybody know "Yes, the Sultan is really here. And he comes bearing gifts. . . pointy, steel gifts!"

I know, it is kinda a lame consolation prize. But I did get all the screenshots and the map taken care of, so nothing stands in my way but my inherent laziness!

Which is progress, of sorts.

Out of curiosity, why the red color everywhere? What was it supposed to symbolize?

That's a nice bismillah, but is that something a sunni State would put on its flag? I'm a little unclear about that.

Either way a stunning design.

Bismillah is used by all sects of Islam; that the Sunni Ottomans would utilize the phrase is not surprising. Indeed, it is rather appropriate for a Muslim flag.

Also, I might be grasping here, but will this update have anything to do with the acquisition of the dignity of Khalifa?

On the bright side, I didn't miss anything during my two weeks of vacation. :p

Sorry to hear about the real life issues, small and large. I can completely relate to a certain laziness (note complete lack of AAR links in my sig) and hope it will pass soon. If only so that I may admire your prepared screenies. ;)

Out of curiosity, why the red color everywhere? What was it supposed to symbolize?

BLOOD! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

*cough*

Sorry about that. Too much Warhammer in my younger years. :D

Where is the Imperial Eagle? :p

Good question. :p

That's a nice bismillah, but is that something a sunni State would put on its flag? I'm a little unclear about that.

Either way a stunning design.

Thanks! I found the image online, where it points to a 1917 issue of National Geographic identifying a red flag with just that symbol as the Sultan's Standard. So I decided to do a little editying and use that symbol myself. ;)

Bismillah is used by all sects of Islam; that the Sunni Ottomans would utilize the phrase is not surprising. Indeed, it is rather appropriate for a Muslim flag.

Also, I might be grasping here, but will this update have anything to do with the acquisition of the dignity of Khalifa?

There you go RGB, someone with more knowledge then me can answer your questions. :rofl:

And yes, yes it might.

On the bright side, I didn't miss anything during my two weeks of vacation. :p

Sorry to hear about the real life issues, small and large. I can completely relate to a certain laziness (note complete lack of AAR links in my sig) and hope it will pass soon. If only so that I may admire your prepared screenies. ;)

Well thanks for that. We can both take comfort in my very minimal levels of work! Huzzah!

But why would I be saying that unless. . . there was an update coming! This very night!

*assorted gasps*

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Herr von Steuben,

I decided to drop this portion off at the Post Office before leaving town. With the time I had waiting around for Herr Yilmaz to show up I had gotten plenty done. I’m pleased that I can still make progress under these conditions.

Sincerely,

signatureqe9.png

Johannes Krieger
September 29, 1854​

__________________________________________________________________________________________
aartitlebarfinalyu1.png

Part Twenty-seven
Heretics and Hidden Heresies

Sultan Bayezid II had spent the years between Paulus’ Crusade and the 1st Ottoman-Mameluke War working on improving his nation’s military and giving the economy time to recover, filling his coffers with gold from the lucrative trade routes east and from the profitable alliance with the Barbary Pirates. Under Bayezid the Janissaries, which had demonstrated the military value of disciplined professional soldiers during the battle for Rome, were expanded greatly in the last years of the 15th century.

OttomanOOBEarly16thCentury-Final.png

- Organization of the Ottoman Military and Janissary Corps

Bayezid was very fond of the Janissary Corp, even taking to wearing a highly ornate Janissary uniform on occasions. The Janissaries were reorganized into three main sub-corps, premiere amongst them being the beuluks, or the portion of the Janissaries that acted as the sultan’s personal bodyguards. Like the rest of the Janissaries they were given roles when not campaigning, the beuluks acting as the police and fire patrol for Constantinople. The cemaat were the most numerous of the sub-Corps and during peace would be garrisoned strategically around the Empire to maintain stability, prevent rebellion, and maintain the border. The final unit was the lağımcı, who were given the duties of siege combat and possessed greater reserves of artillery, but lacked the Sipahi cavalry of the main cemaat formations. Like the cemaat their main role during peace was as gendarmes, but due to their more specialized training they were often utilized as engineers to build and maintain the roads, fortifications, and other structures of the Empire.

Each sub-corps was nominally part of a specific army, forming the nucleus around which the Azaps could be attached. The Azaps (which means “the bachelors”) were made up of Turkish Muslims, who were either volunteers or part of each towns required number of conscripts they needed to provide the state in times of war. They often made up the bulk of Ottoman forces during this period, and fought more in a light-infantry role as compared to the Janissaries. The Azaps, Janissaries, and Sipahi were all parts of a well conceived Turkish army that would perform very well throughout the expansionist phase of the Ottoman Empire.

To the south of the Ottomans lay the Mamelukes, whose borders stretched from the deserts of North Africa up to the Ottoman border on Syria and the Safavid Persians in Iraq. The wealth of the ancient cities of Egypt was immense, the most notable of which was the port of Alexandria which, like Constantinople, profited from trade routes to the east. The ruling dynasty of the Mamelukes claimed the title of Caliph due to their possession of the holy city of Jerusalem and often treated the Ottoman Empire as a lesser nation, an arrogance that only helped to sour relations between the two powerful monarchies.

AAR0311500.png

This mutual distrust was only exacerbated by a series of religious conflicts in the areas just north of the Mameluke border. The Zikri were a branch of Sufism that had grown in number in the south-easterly areas of the Ottoman Empire, a region that also held a large number of Shia Muslims. The conflicts between the Sunni Turks and the Shia minority often flared up into open rebellion and warfare, and when large numbers of Zikri revolted against the Ottoman Empire in 1500 the reaction was swift as the Sultan declared them part of a Shia plot against the Empire. The reprisals against the Zikri and Shia communities was bloody as the Ottoman Empire killed thousands and forced many more to flee the region.

Many of these refugees sought protection within Mameluke lands, which roused the suspicions of many outspoken clerics in the Ottoman Empire who began to denounce the Mamelukes as having been overtaken by Shia heathens and enemies of Islam who did not deserve the title of Caliph or guardianship of Jerusalem. The Mamelukes responded by describing the Ottomans as uncultured barbarians who clung to a thin veneer of civilization they stole from the Greeks.

AAR0331502.png

Relations were not helped by a number of incidents where Turkish cavalrymen crossed the border pursuing the fleeing Sufi and Shia and increased efforts against either nation’s merchants by the other. Barbarossa would score one of his most incredible victories when his ships captured over a hundred trading vessels outside of Alexandria, a large fortune that panicked Christian merchants in Egypt and severely depleted Mameluke coffers on the eve of war.

AAR0321502.png

AAR0351502.png

Not one to pass up the opportunity for conquest Sultan Bayezid II began to mobilize his forces, the popular sentiment against the Mamelukes allowing his forces to swell to a massive size. The Mamelukes were likewise preparing for war, funding military expansion with the wealth from their lucrative trade markets. The true strength of the Mameluke forces was in their large quantities of trained cavalry, who had decimated many invaders before. A large portion of the Mameluke forces was concentrated within Syria and Palestine while the others encamped in Egypt, the Mameluke leadership not fearing attack during the winter season due to the difficulties in maintaining an army in the field outside of the normal campaigning season.

1502Ottoman-MamelukeWarFinal.png

Yet Bayezid was confident his troops discipline and skill over their opponents would more than make up for the difficulties in supplying an army in the depths of winter. Thus the Ottoman army’s attack late in December 1502 caught thousands of Mameluke soldiers in isolated winter quarters where they were quickly destroyed by the superior Turkish artillery. Within weeks most of Syria was under Ottoman control or under threat of falling immediately, forcing the unprepared Mamelukes to mobilize the rest of their military within Egypt to relieve them. For Bayezid this was a significant threat: the majority of Mameluke cavalry was in Egypt and its mobility threatened his forces while they were locked in siege. If the cavalry were able to reach Syria unmolested they could crush his men between their lances and the stone walls.

AAR0361502.png

Having foreseen this threat Bayezid once again demonstrated his penchant for risky military endeavors by landing the Army of Greece in southern Palestine, a blocking force to prevent the main Mameluke forces from leaving Egypt. Jerusalem surrendered almost immediately, their normal garrison having been relocated further north earlier that fall. The Ottoman General Silahdar Pasha was quick to move into the numerous old fortifications within the region, some of which were still marked by damage taken in the Crusades centuries before. When the Mamelukes came up through the Sinai they were surprised when they were engaged by Turkish artillery, the Ottoman guns punishing any cavalry detachment that tried to force its way up en route to Syria.

AAR0371502.png

While the Sultan was leading his troops in taking Damascus and Aleppo there were events transpiring thousands of miles away in Algiers that would help cement Ottoman domination over the Barbary States. The isle of Penon outside of Algiers harbor had been seized by the Spaniards in 1302, which had lead to an ironic increase in trade between the two states. But after the Reconquista there was still large levels of animosity between the Christians and Muslims within Iberia and the Corsairs, leading to Spanish troops invading the city of Oran in 1505 and fortifying Penon before implementing a levy to try and suppress Corsair activity.

Aruj.png

- Oruç Reis

In response the Amir of Algiers, Abu Musa III, invited Barbarossa Hayreddin and his brother Oruç Reis to drive the Spaniards from Algiers. Oruç Reis, like his younger brother Hayreddin, was a very successful pirate and corsair who plagued Christian shipping for years. It is interesting to note that some of the infamous traits attributed to Barbarossa are the result stemming from the name Barbarossa itself: Oruç Reis was the first Corsair to be named Barbarossa but upon his death in 1507 passed that name to Hayreddin, who would give the name it’s true significance as most historical accounts of the time would refer to Hayreddin’s exploits as being the acts of Barbarossa.

The Ottoman Empire had gained the trust and obedience of the Barbary pirates by supporting pirates like Hayreddin and his brothers for generations and promising the Barbary States protection in case Spain were ever to invade, but with their army engaged against the Mamelukes the Sultan could not spare significant forces to Algiers.

AAR0381505.png

The ambitious Oruç Reis was not halted by this setback. As Hayreddin engaged the Spanish naval forces and denied the Europeans reinforcements from the sea Oruç Reis quickly moved to consolidate power in Algiers, ordering the assassination of Abu and raising an army to liberate Oran and drive the Spaniards out of Algiers. He was successful and was named the Sultan of Algiers, but the threat from a Spanish invasion remained a serious problem for Oruç Reis. Feeling that the best way to prevent invasion was to ensure Ottoman control over Algiers Oruç Reis relinquished the title to Bayezid, who accepted dominion over Algiers and named Oruç Reis Bey (Governor) of Algiers and Beylerbey (Chief Governor) of the Western Mediterranean When Oruç Reis died two years later at the age of thirty-three his titles passed to his brother Hayreddin including the name Barbarossa, which the younger brother would make truly infamous (For more information on Barbarossa Hayreddin check chapter twenty-six, Barbarossa the Corsair).

AAR0391503.png

In the east the campaign against the Mamelukes and their allies Astrakhan continued to progress well for Bayezid. The Army of Crimea had forced the Khan to cede much of his land to the Ottoman Empire while most of the Mameluke territory east of the Sinai desert had fallen to the Turks by 1505. In each engagement between the two forces the Mameluke soldiers were crushed by the steady discipline of the Ottoman army and the unequal quality of equipment: the Ottoman military had numerous firearms and large quantities of cannon while most Mamelukes still fought with bow and sword.

AAR0401505.png

The Turks outranged their opponents and would dominate the battlefield by breaking up Mameluke formations with artillery fire and engaging the Mamelukes as the range closed with their matchlock muskets. They were losses the Mamelukes could ill afford: for each Mameluke cavalry-archer who was killed, it would take a replacement years to properly learn how to load and fire a bow accurately while riding a horse. In comparison, soldiers equipped with muskets could learn how to fire and reload within weeks.

AAR0411506.png

But the Ottoman forces were taking casualties, and the need for reinforcements lead to increased recruitment efforts amongst the non-Turkish population to replenish Janissaries killed campaigning. Initially most of these efforts were concentrated amongst the Greek populations, who were the preferred choice for Janissaries. In Morea there were a number of cantonments established to facilitate recruitment efforts, which often went in hand with efforts to increase religious conversions.

By 1506 the campaign had reached its zenith as Ottoman soldiers surrounded forced Alexandria to surrender after months of siege and blockade. Cairo had been besieged for even longer, but its defenders were doggedly resisting the Turks efforts to take the city. Bayezid was beginning to fear for his military: his overextended supply lines were routinely being attacked by bandits and raiding Mameluke cavalry, and most of his armies were reduced by half or more as reinforcements were slow to reach him. Knowing that if the Mamelukes retreated further south he didn’t possess the manpower to pursue them Bayezid decided to settle for everything east of the Sinai, confident that the desert would prove a formidable border to defend his new lands while he consolidated his hold over them.

AAR0421506.png

Beyond the territorial gains Bayezid also demanded a fortune in coin and precious stones to help pay his debts from the war and forced the Mamelukes to give Ottoman merchants a near monopoly within Alexandria, two measures to keep the Mameluke economy from recovering any time soon. Once the Mamelukes accepted peace Bayezid returned to Jerusalem at the head of a long procession, declaring that the holy city had been saved from heretics before praying at the Dome of the Rock.

For the Mamelukes the war had been devastating; for each Ottoman soldier who had been slain, six Mamelukes had fallen. The ancient cities of Jerusalem and Damascus now were in Ottoman hands, and all of the overland trade reaching the Mamelukes now had to first pass through Turkish lands. For the Ottoman Empire this war would leave the only nation that could possibly have threatened their Asian lands in ruins and offered them a strong base for further expansion into the Middle-East.

- Johannes Krieger, The Sublime State: A History of The Ottoman Empire; vol. 1

Truly a phenomenal update! Henceforth, perhaps the Ottoman Sultans should be referred to as Khalifas.

Two things to note, though they aren't major. The first is that the Mamluks never held the title of Khalifa; instead, the Abbasid Khalifas, who, in the aftermath of the Sack of Baghdad, migrated to Egypt, held the title, though purely in a religious perspective. Temporally, the Mamluks were the rulers of Egypt, and, in ecclesiastical affairs, they often manipulated the subservient Khalifas to uphold their will.

The second thing is that one cannot pray in the Dome of the Rock; he/she would have to pray in the Masjid al-Aqsa, the mosque which incorporates the Dome of the Rock.

However, aside from these two things, the update was excellent. I look forward to how this AAR progresses!