• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(41995)

Lt. General
Apr 14, 2004
Inspired by General Hannibal I am going to attempt World Domination as the brave land hungry Scots.

As I progress, feel free to suggest targets for my Scotish warriors. Led of course by a blue faced Mel Gibson. :rolleyes:

011bluemeljk2.jpg

So to begin...

The Government

If you haven't tried the RISK Mod, the Governments and sliders initially look pretty similar across the nations. Your leaders are the best you can do with the nation selected, Although this means for me a poor money generating situation.

The initial Technology choices

Researching in the RISK mod is a long term project. Don't expect to get anywhere fast tech wise.

Here's a hint. research Arty! Very good (Arty increases speed... yum yum!)
Also try and get those research improvement computer techs done ASAP also.

I chose Fire-Power Focus as my land doctrine, and will research the Infiltration branch. I would have liked to research Blitzkrieg or even the Combined Arms US branch - but my only Land Doctrine researcher constrains me to the infantry oriented techs. If you can remember your Land Doctrines, you will realise that I will have a long wait to get the initial tech!

So what do I have to work with?

Yukala has thoughtfully placed landbridges all over the place. Notice I have contact with the French in three provinces. Flanders owns London. I think this is an insult and will place my troops to take out Flanders first.

The map you are looking at is the VPs for Scotland. Every province has a VP. Any war will need to be fought for every inch of territory. I will also have to defend Norway somehow.

My capital is Glasgow and all my troops and planes and ships start here. (this is the case for every nation. All of their military units start at their capital (if possible). Also every nation starts with the same units.

The OOB goes something like this:
20 Garrison, 2 Infantry, 2 Mountain, 4 Cavalry, 6 Marines, 4 Tanks, 3 BBs, 3 BCs 3 CAs, Numerous DDs, 3 SS and 6 Tps (an exception: Pacific Fire starts with a larger fleet) 5 Strat bombers, 3 Tac bombers, 6 CAS? 3 Nav? 5 esc Ftrs 5 interceptors [all these numbers are from memory and could easily be wrong]

Notice my TC. This will be the last time you see it in the green for a looooong time.

Excellent start to this Risk mod Scot AAR.

I will follow this one for certain. Keep up the excellent work. :)

*subscribes*

My IC and what I'm going to do with it.

Notice the humongus amounts of resources.
You will never go short of them. Don't worry about them - unless of course you are invaided and they take out some of your resource cows. (Go get theirs before they get yours! Thats my motto!)

My build queue is very modest I think.
Build times are drastically shortened. This makes for a beaut build up of ships, planes and armour.
You will notice I am not building ships or armor. I want to research some better models first.

I have placed my planes into small groups. (In RISK I think you can put together squadrons of 10? or is it 12?)
I have gone for an inital small group set-up for land and air to increase the skill base of my generals.

My transports are carrying 2 Garrison units each. I intend to protect only the airbases and harbours. I will need to transport one more set of 2 Garrisons later.

My land forces get set to invaid Flanders and teach those pesky Dutch a lesson (or are they Belgians?)

Lucky for me I thought to take a look at the Revolt risk map display!

Yukala you sneak!

I will have 4 Garrisons placed here for revolt supression for the next 30 months till the revolt risk shrinks to zero.

I wait a couple of months before I attack Flanders hoping they will attack someone else and remove troops from our mutual border.

13 days in and POW!!!!! Russia has just doubled in size. This makes it the largest IC powerhouse on the planet!
Is Mel Gibson worried? Is the Pope Catholic?

We will keep an eye on our reasonably close neighbour and try to attain a similar size ASAP.
(Its not as bad as it looks - Russia has to defend twice the territory with the same amount of troops as everyone else!)
Remeber though all those Russian provinces are VPs! To annex Russia, all of them have to be captured!

Urmm.... Yes well, I am always forgetting to take screenies!

By May I am at war with Quebec (who have demolished my navy... sigh!)
They have taken over Iceland... or is it Greenland?
(the one with Reykjavik :) I just love that name! Reykjavik! and again Reykjavik!)

France senses blood and DoWs me! - foolish French (they have already DoW'd Iberia / Spain+Portugal)
Mel's men move into high gear.

Fortunately, France is right next to Flanders, so I don't have to move my troops very far!

During all the mayhem. I miss Finland DoWing me.
Their attack slowed by mountains of northern Norway allow me to get some marines up there and a stalemate ensues.

I encourage my enemies' enemies with generous resource deals. I continue to influence them. But I have not had any luck in creating an alliance (Maybe Yukala could cast some light on whether it is possible to make alliances)

Just as I was about to annex France and take the fight to Flanders, Iberia DoWs me!
I continue my push south.
This is spreading my troops thin, as I need to keep my borders reasonably secure.
Flanders and Italy are both fielding large armies on my borders.

Fortunately Iberia soon realises its mistake and seeks a peace treaty giving me most of the territory I have conquered!

I say Yes! This will keep Iberia at bay for a year at least.
(And I will ply them with gifts and money and tarten kilts and promises not to play bagpipes in the early morning)

Notice my TC and IC. I decide not to go to war with Flanders this year.
I will wait for a more opportune time.
The revolt risk in Barcelona drops to a more manageable 60+ after I make a peace tray with Iberia.

Every province in France is suffering a 60+% revolt risk.

My garrisons are feeble and will be busy for the next several years I guess bringing the risk down.
For the first several months I place Garrisons on key provinces, Harbours, and Airbases.
I use my Cavalry to put out any bushfires.
My cavalry Lt Gens will each gain over 100 exp in the coming several years keeping things quiet.
The rebel militia are aggresive and will take territory if not dealt with very promptly.

Next update a Jan 1 1931 State of Play overview

AOK Good to have you on board - While I have played the first 3 years, I am a long way from world domination!

soonerborn0524 said:
Wait, so what do you have cores on?
Only those provinces I have VPs in plus some more in Quebec! (It took me 2 years game time to realise I could demand territory. :eek:o By then Quebec had been swallowed up by the US and I had been trying to influence them, I was an easy deal to make!)

So we come to January 1st 1931.

Look at the pretty pink (although Mel would like it to be blue!)

My goals are to keep Scandinavia (light green) and Iberia (purplish) happy. Isolate Italy (dark green) and eliminate Flanders (orange - what an ugly colour!)

AustroHungary (even prettier pink) are growing in size and been gobbling up territory.

There is no Federal Germany (boring grey) because Flanders and AustroHungary took them out.

Africa. I think the country at the top is Egypt (orange) and the one at the bottom is South Africa (Wait! - I think SA has been annexed by the green country.

Liberia (grey) is being eaten up by a pretty pink country.

I guess I will get to know the names of the few that will be left later on.

Asian countries are pretty well known...
There's India (a beautiful light blue! Mel is Jealous!!!)
Japan (Yellow - although I have always felt it is stereotypical);
Korea (pink like Scotland);
Mongolia (a mongolian orange);
China (light yellow - what's with the stereotypes!);
People's China (a darker orange than mongolia);
Siam (swampwater brown or is that a green?);
the Philipines (purplish).

There are some other countries but they have nearly been wiped out.

Australaisa. *yawn*

Nothing much happening here. Australia (grey) and Indonesia (green) are fighting over New Guinea.

North America. What an interestig continent!

Everyone is at war with everyone else.
The USA (dark blue) is at war with Quebec (light blue) the confederates (darkest green) and the (mid green) westcoast hippies - can never remember their correct name.
Texas (light green) is at war with the confederates.
Mexico (swampwater mud) is at war with the hippies

I think thats about it. Probably missed some extra wars but hey, you get the pictuire. North America is one big war zone.

I'll let you guess which countries are which (shouldn't be too hard), and who's at war with whom.
Whoever gets them all right can choose my next conquest (remember I have played another year.) So I will let the winner of the competition know when I am ready to invaid.

Of alliances

Intelligence Report from the gods... :cool:

Alliances are very rare, difficult and time-consuming to make. Usually week by week of continuing influence for 6-9 months and then see what your chance is. I would like to know if you try.

This beta version is no-alliance version, the AI's are in the same fix as you to land an alliance. This may be amended by the time we get to Gold version. Let me know what think about it.

AAR is really looking great ! :D

Nice AAR so far. I'll be reading. :)

Thanks for the info Yukala. Becuase you have made it quite cheap to influence, I have been doing a week by week on Iberia USA and Scandinavia. I have also giving them all great trade deals to lower their initial -200 dislike of me. Right now I am up to +60 with Scandinavia (They are at war with Russia and I have pumped huge amounts of free resources their way to keep them afloat.) Iberia and USA are trickier - I haven't yet got out of the minuses.

Earth's Saviour: Good to have you aboard!

Another RISK AAR - there seem to be breeding! ;)

But very welcome. Looks like you are having a helluva lot of fun.

Yay, another RISK AAR, is this competition :eek: :p. I would guess the countries and who they're at war with but since I have the mod that'd be kind of unfair.

CSK Maybe be if we start a petition, we can get Yukala to change the colour!

stnylan Can't get enough RISK AARs i figure. And yes, you're right I am having a helleva lotta fun!

GereralHannibal Not competition mate. In fact you are the inspiration for this AAR. And I'm sure you could easily name the countries. In fact if any one goes to your AAR they can learn the real names of nearly every country! And not just in South America. I have not played anycountry in Africa yet so I have never bothered remembering the names! I don't know how you do it!?!

lifeless In every game I've played so far (admittedly not the Beta RISK I'm playing now) the boring grey federal Germany sinks beneath the onslaught of several neighbours. I thihnk my next game will be as that boring grey country!

Over time Federal Germany will lose out maybe 60% of the time, however Flanders will over time lose out 60% of the time as do most everyone, for in the first two years 1/3 must go and a few years more and another 1/3 are history. Yet, only over many games (hundreds) you will see this.

I guess the difference is in 'expecting' to see a victorious Germany. But here the odds are even, an interesting thought.

Yukala I bow to the wisdom of the master! As Paul Simon - one of our modern prophet/poets said "People see what they want to see, and disregard the rest."

Next update nearly ready. But I have to say - My use of the F11 key is sadly erratic. So you guys will have to fill in the blanks! One day I hope to emulate the greats - Annonymous and Katitlan (to name only a few) and get my screenshot skills up to scratch!

This is a truly wonderful AAR. And yes, Flanders must go. Crush them without mercy!

More screens would definitely be welcome. In any case, keep up the excellent work.

So what about Flanders?

June 1931. AutroHungary DoW's Poland. Flanders not far behind. Between the two they start to gobble up the Poles. I see my chance and DoW Flanders! (My first DoW in the game!)

You will notice in the Pic that the majority of my troops are attacking in the north. But I have found the going slow.
The few troops I have in the south make excellent progress, and I will capitalise on this by striking east and north and encircling numerous Divisions.

You will have to trust me on this, but we have similar numbers of troops (Flanders are a level higher in infantry tech). I admittedly have 2 to 3 time more Garrisons.

About a third of my troops are guarding the Iberian and Italian borders.
Iberia is getting restless once more.
And Italy is pumping out troops like there is no tomorrow. In most border provinces there are 9-12 Divisions! Scary.
I pray to the God of Blue faced Warriors that the Italians are content to sip vino and eat Pizza!

The other thing to be aware of is that I continue to pump my resources into CAS and Tac and Nav. This pays dividends with the horrendous TC I have to face.

No pics of the middle or end game folks - sorry about that!

Anyhoo... Flanders is history. I have just about captured every VP they have lleft.
The keen eyed observer will notice some little patches of red north of Kiev and a bit east of Kannaus(?). Russia seeing Mel destroy the majority of Flanders army makes an opportunistic grab for territory. A few days from this screen shot I annex Flanders.

Again notice my TC. This plays hell with my ESE but I figure everyone is in the same boat (except Italy).

Also I am not the only one busy annexing.

Here is a picture of North America. Texas (light green) is about to annex the confederate! Go Texas!

The other good news is that I have not only reasearched 1932 Infantry, I have upgraded all my troops! Yay!

Finally, here is the puzzle for today! :eek:

Can anyone see a problem with this picture? What is it and how do you solve iit? (Have fun!;) )