• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice to see Italy and Turkey (largely) pacified. I wonder where most of the interceptor forces reside since it seemd they have little to do? Where, for example, is my couterpart? He was last seen in northern Italy many posts and (seemingly) months ago!

Look ma! My own CV!! Only slightly damaged. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw - if Captain America does show up, then we need to unlease the fury of the Red Skull!! :eek:

El Pip The count of 55 BB and 55 CV in the current intelligence report is also rather disturbing.

Von Uber See following post on very long-term planning (and its far to soon to mention the aliens)

noobermenschen Whilst you are correct that those fighter doctrines bring org to CAGs as well as fighters I still have more important issues elsewhere. The only air related org issues I have are the result of constant unit transfers. This is best addressed by longer range aircraft which is yet another reason I probably should have gone for fighters rather than interceptors.

Brad1 Your comments on the Petal Throne are bang on the nail. We have a high manpower empire saddled with the japanese AI build priorities. However, I suspect the auto-build infantry tendencies in the building AI will address that part of the issue nicely. This means that you suggestion of extra IC is probably an easy fix to their build problems. To solve the issue of where to put it I reckon a base 200 IC off map should do nicely (this will scale up rather due to the modified difficulty file)

WhisperingDeath interceptors are somewhat spread out at the moment with the only significant action being over the casablanca area. Elsewhere there are lots of potential needs but not much happening.

Clearly in the absence of Adolf Hitler there is no Red Skull and we will have to look to other characters to defend our Fatherland against the American scum.

Leader Reports

504alts.jpg

Killer Bob is still getting the short straw and seems to have turned up with the reserves in Brest yet again missing out on campaigning. The only change since the last report seems to be the conquest of Lithuania. Not a headline campaign but successful nonetheless.

4pe8n10.jpg

Lord E has also not been up to much but has taken part in the Bulgarian campaign (after a long rail journey) and is now the flank army for the invasion of Turkey, not doubt soon to fight the final battle in the conquest of that country.

4pyx8uw.jpg

Brad Von Halen, skill 7 exp 27, is a primary commander of air naval operations in the Mediterranean. Recent history includes air-land operations over the Balkans followed by support of land operations in Italy from Yugoslav air bases. During the collapse of Italy activity was switched to the Adriatic but with very little success. There is now a 16 CAS grouping in southern Italy running continuous bombing of the central Mediterranean with considerable success. Brad’s air group has seen extensive activity throughout the war bringing all CAS units to 100% experience whilst Brad has gained two skill levels and is heading for a third.

6fzxu0x.jpg

von Rauschend Tod, skill 6 exp 18, is a long serving interceptor commander who, with the ending of air opposition over Italy, has been sent to Rostov for org recovery. This interceptor group is now full org and standing by to deal with any Russian incursions. Meanwhile the interceptors amuse themselves by daily attempts to machinegun Soviet subs in the Eastern Black Sea. This isn’t all that effective but is at least good training.

Existing Air Deployments

Existing Air Deployments

This is just a quick run down of the existing air allocations. On the Atlantic coast this is probably a long-term commitment but elsewhere it is subject to significant change.

UK naval theatre: 1600 Naval Bomber, 800 CAS and 1200 Interceptors (Coastal patrol)
Iberia: 800 Naval Bombers, 800 CAS and 1200 Interceptors (intruder missions over Casablanca)
Spain 400 Interceptors flying intruder over Balearic islands
Italy 1200 Interceptors for air defence and 1600 CAS naval bombing the central Mediterranean
Greece 400 Interceptors flying air patrol over the Aegean area
Stockholm 800 CAS clearing the Baltic of allied naval presence
Archanghelsk 800 CAS clearing the Barents Sea
Turkey 3200 Tactical bombers, 800 CAS (1600 Tacs are at Baku available for use in Turkey, Russia or Persia)
Stalingrad area 1600 Tactical bombers and 800 CAS

Air transport forces are still all in Greece awaiting operational opportunities

The Plan

The Plan

The following is a discussion of my current thoughts on further operations. I have actually played through to the end of November but the slow pace of operations means that this has very little impact on the future flow of operations. The immediate future remains clear but longer term plans need to be thought about and decided.

52dznkm.jpg

November Plan​

Progress to the end of October has successfully secured our position in Europe with all land threats having been eliminated. This means that the short-term plan is coming to a close and it is time to decide where to next. There are some obvious steps to complete the establishment of the security perimeter on stronger positions.

The red arrows indicate ongoing operations and the blue arrows indicate the proposed next stage. This principally consists of the conquest of North Africa via amphibious operations and the conquest of the Middle East.

The proposed North African campaign has little to be said about it. I don’t know how strong the enemy is but I suspect they will be relatively modest. I intend to secure the whole coast from Casablanca to the Suez Canal and proceed inland. Small probes will be sent through the Sahara and stronger forces will proceed south on both east and west flanks. The longer-term goal will be to secure the whole of West Africa (ie advance round to Nigeria) eliminating all Allied air and naval bases. This will give much better access to the central Atlantic and the opportunity to pursue operations against allied naval forces in that theatre. This seems a little safer than the north Atlantic. On the east coast I want to work my way down through Ethiopia to Kenya. This will allow Italy to be annexed and provide air and naval bases for India Ocean operations.

I have strong suspicions that I will ultimately encounter very significant numbers of enemy forces in Africa and therefore the whole campaign will be a bit hit and miss. I would like to secure the objectives above but may find myself with insufficient force. Gauging the right strength to commit is going to be all but impossible.

In the Middle East I intend to secure a line across southern Lebanon and Syria and then move up all available forces. This will take a while, as Turkey has not been fully subdued. Meanwhile Persia should be annexed and all units in the eastern part of the theatre will move up to southern Iraq. Once I have the western forces fully concentrated I intend a wide flanking movement around Iraq and conquering the Arabian Peninsula. This operation should end with all forces converging on southern Iraq to eliminate the huge allied forces located there. I will be making maximum use of converging attacks to gain the best combat bonus possible and also will make sure that the final attacks all go in together so that I only have to fight each sub-force only once. This is a critical element of dealing with this sort of enemy concentration. You must use maximum available force and once started complete the operation as quickly as possible to minimise the total fighting required.

53ro279.jpg

November Plan 2​

Planned operations around the Mediterranean are the easy part of this situation. The longer-term issue is what to do on my eastern frontiers. In the north I am faced by a resurgent Russia that still has a very large army. In fact it is unlikely that engaging the Russians will involve smaller Russian forces than those engaged during the main Russian campaign. This makes this the key theatre where I must decide what to do. The current position is a line of very weak German forces plus significant quantities of air power all based behind the line of the Volga (behind the green line). I am building up airbase capacity in the Volga bend from Stalingrad northwards. This puts me in the position of being very unhappy to allow the Russians to cross, as I will then lose my airbases.

However, as you must have all realised by now I don’t like wasting troops on defence. Any troops assigned a purely defensive mission and inactive troops that are not contributing towards victory. This means that a focus on the Russian front should be treated as an offensive task and very large forces committed. This will mean Russia becomes the focus of army operations with only secondary forces elsewhere. Unfortunately given the time of year the Russians will compel me to address the issue before summer and hence end up with a supposed winter offensive against them. This is also not good.

The alternative would be my traditional defence with space. This means abandoning the Volga line when required and simply retreat from the Russians until summer comes. I can then launch a counter-offensive and fight them in the eastern Russian lands west of the Urals. This has some benefits in terms of better terrain for fighting them but obviously involves more risk.

Moving south we should at least give some consideration to the Persian front. The normal next operation in this theatre would be an invasion of British India. With global war this would be heavily exposed to attack from the north with both Russia and Afghanistan threatening communications through Persia. Obviously a major naval commitment would make this much more secure but this still seems like a bad idea before considering the difficulties of competition for resources. The defence of India is likely to be extremely strong since the whole of Asia is in the allied camp. The invasion of India is therefore definitely off for now.

An alternative operation here would be an invasion into the Russian lands. This has similar risks to invading India since it would have heavy allied presence on its eastern flank. The general conclusion is that the Persian front should be brought to a static status and I believe this can be best achieved by forming a line through the Persian mountains between the Persian Gulf and the Caspian Sea. This is clearly the shortest and strongest defence line and can be defended by a reasonable scale of forces. Taking just infantry modifiers my current modifiers are +25% defence and –50% attack. Assuming the enemy has similar modifiers these mountains should be defendable against a much larger enemy force. In fact the enemy would probably need an overall force ratio of at least 3:1 in the theatre if competently led and would still suffer very heavy casualties in the process. As it is I see no reason why I cannot defend successfully at odds of about 5:1. This will allow this front to be held static by relatively modest forces.

As a side note, the allied obsession with Basrah is likely to persist after I have eliminated the current occupants and therefore I will need significant coastal garrisons in the immediate vicinity.

The longer-term plan

Ultimately I do not have sufficient forces to pursue more than one major campaign at one time. In the absence of other short-term opportunities it seems I will be forced down a redeployment of forces to Russia and commencement of an offensive there. In truth the only major question is when and at what rate I increase forces along the Volga. I could select the completion of the Middle East campaign as a cut off and send everything to Russia for immediate operations on arrival or forces could be sent a bit at a time. This would allow early commitments to successfully defend the Volga line and offensive operations to commence later when further forces arrive.

Amongst all this we must remember the issue of org depletion. Even our ground forces are badly depleted and many divisions will need significant rest periods somewhere and sometime before they are ready for major offensive operations.

Naval and Air-Naval operations

With the completion of the operations in the Middle East and North Africa I should no longer need a major commitment in the Mediterranean. This will not be realised immediately as there is likely to be a period of cleaning up but once this is done forces can be released to operate elsewhere. There is however one question which is what to do about all the Mediterranean islands. My amphibious technology is very poor and these islands appear to mostly be very strongly held. There is a temptation to leave them to rot and pick them up once supply deprivation has taken its toll. On the other hand they represent a continuing threat of air operations and a refuge for enemy naval forces. This means that ignoring them will result in a continuing commitment of air and naval forces to mask the risk.

In other areas I will need to build up a major air-naval base in Oman once it is captured. This forms an ideal safe location for a base to dominate the northern Indian Ocean. Given the long distance back to Alexandria it may be well worth building it up as a naval base. The traditional base in this area is Karachi which is going to be unavailable to me for a considerable time. As such I think a bit of naval base building might be a good plan. To supplement this I will be building a major presence in the horn of Africa. This development is somewhat further off but I suspect the Indian Ocean will be a theatre of major naval action for a significant period.

In the central Atlantic Lisbon and Gibraltar will remain my main naval bases although I may build up Dakar as a base for operations against South America. Such operations remain a long way off but air bases along the African coast will extend the naval attrition zone.

The main area for air-naval operations will remain Western Europe where constant air patrols are essential to keep the allies at bay.

Before commenting of the Operational future (as expertly outlined above), I want to consider a possible drawback of the "Global Warfare" option. I wil, based on this game, call it the "Basra Conudrum". The theory is as follows: Since all of the world is allied, then nations with sizable infantries that are not linked via land, will send their troop to "key" locations owned/maintained by allies just beyond the front line rather than formulating an attack plan against Greater Deutschland. Just consider how devastating it would be if the allies put together just 10 or 15 small flotillas with one or two corps and landed on the multitude of beaches from Norway down to Gibraltar! My theory is that the AI would not even think to do anything like this while there are "safe havens" of allies that can receive troops. This would be fine if the AI actually used these havens as staging areas (think: Britain and Overlord plan); but it doesn't! The troops just sit there and rot on the vine! Very sad! :(

Anyway, with regard to the strategic vision: I would say that taking Africa (and making this a priority) would help to return this war to a "two front" contest. I like the idea of using the mountains of Persia as a defensive strongpoint. When coupled with the creation of a large naval base on the Horn of Africa it will surely strengthen the south eastern front. The navy then keeps South & North America at bay, while the army (and glorious Luftwaffe!) focus on the "Asian Problem"! This is accomplished through Russia and India. :)

Very long-term plans

Very long-term plans

It is perhaps worth a discussion about how the whole of the rest of the game will go (but not covering Von Uber’s prescient speculations). The very high levels of enemy units generated by the game settings means that this must be based on an understanding of what is happening rather than experience. This makes it much harder than normal but I will have a go. This is useful if for no other reason than to demonstrate my ability to predict the future.

The world can be split into several major theatres with serious issues about moving from one to another. These are worth listing of with the issues that relate to them.

Africa

This is quite a simple theatre with a long slow process of conquest. Unfortunately the level of enemy forces is rather unpredictable. If you refer back to Edge of Darkness you can see some disruption of Russian progress due to very large French forces found in central Africa. This means the primary issue will be either over commitment and hence waste of force needed elsewhere or under commitment resulting in delays. To some extent under commitment can be addressed via naval operations but allied naval power is not conducive to over dependence on German amphibious capability.

The occupation of Africa leads to no significant opportunity for moving to another theatre except for the use of West Africa as a base for the invasion of South America. Directly opposite is a Brazil that has been intentional built up into a regional super-power capable of effective resistance to transatlantic action.

Also, one day Cape Town will be of critical interest.

Northern and Central Asia

This is essentially the Asian parts of the Soviet Union. As a theatre its valuable areas are concentrated in western Siberia but it then leads to vast areas of terrible terrain that need to be captured. It does however provide and excellent path into Eastern Asia since it is possible to advance on a wide front although this will be very slow. Approaching China via this path is very time consuming but may be unavoidable do the difficulties of alternative approaches.

Southern Asia

This theatre is essentially British India plus south East Asia. It is a significant theatre isolated by mountains and jungles from other Asia theatres. Entry will be difficult since the bad terrain comes very close to the sea and leaves a narrow easily defended gap. Having conquered it there are similar issues in progressing onwards into eastern Asia with a very difficult Chinese border.

Once conquered it provides an excellent base of operations for movement on into the Australasian theatre and to a lesser extent the East Asian theatre.

Eastern Asia

This is essential the empire of the Petal throne consisting of China and Japan. This theatre is a major objective in its own right and has no real status as a path to anywhere else. It is large and its borders are inaccessible. Breaking into China will be difficult and I expect large-scale naval action around south East Asia from both the empire itself and the other allies. This will be a hot bed of allied naval activity and should provide a major highlight in the AAR possibly on a greater scale even than Barbarossa.

Australasia

This represents the very large collection of islands in its vicinity and will be a difficult target to address due to enemy naval power. Its only practical access is through Indonesia in a multi-stage air-naval-land offensive which whilst it may not be spectacular is going to be one of the most complex campaigns to occur in the WC.

Occupation of the whole region doesn’t really provide opportunity for onwards progress although it does lead on into the pacific islands. I find it difficult to believe the Pacific islands will ever be a major element of strategy against the allies.

South America

This is reasonably isolated from the rest of the Americas and represents a target on its own. Brazil is in range for invasion direct from Africa and there is quite a large length of coast that could be attacked. The locals will be deploying major forces and I suspect amphibious landings are going to be very difficult.

It can act as an excellent base for operations northwards into the rest of the Americas and, in particular, provides the opportunity for well-protected naval supply lines by keeping the convoy routes far away from US forces. For this reason if nothing else it may become the preferred route of entry into the Americas.

Central America and the Caribbean

This is considered separately as the multiplicity of islands does provide opportunity for establishing secure forward bases for operations against the rest of the Americas. This is actually a tempting option for the first incursion into the Americas since it is generally immune to land based counter-action. This matters since my crossing of the Atlantic will probably be the most spectacular amphibious campaign ever due to the strength of likely allied opposition.

North America

What can I say? This is probably going to be an invulnerable bastion of US power. I rather suspect I will have to surround it with German air-naval bases before a good landing opportunity can be obtained. I can imagine undefeatable stacks all around the coast and the need to invade via Mexico as well.

I expect 1941 to be limited to a defeat of the Soviet Union and progress into far western China and eastern Siberia. Africa should be mostly conquered but exact timing is dependent on the opposition encountered. By the end of the year I would like to be in the process of taking down India and moving on into Burma. Unfortunately the strength of empire response against the Soviet borders is likely to have a major impact of ground force availability and leave me with some strategic difficulties.

Air naval operations will be in full swing along the European west coast and down to around Dakar throughout the year. There should also be major activity in the Indian Ocean as I attempt to defeat allied forces. The naval fighting will be all about preventing invasions and attrition. If the force ratio at sea has moved significantly in my favour by the end of the year I will be satisfied. If it does it will be because my navy is a lot bigger since I feel it is unlikely I can do better than counter allied production (and even that is going to be very difficult).

German production will focus on vast numbers of new air and naval units supplemented by what ground security forces I can afford.

I am hoping this will be the year where the empire is defeated and I can conquer the whole of the Far East leading to the elimination of many countries with scattered VPs in that theatre. The commitment of forces required for this will probably prevent me from carrying out any operations against the Americas.

Air naval operations will continue as before but there will need to be a major commitment to Far East operations with possible serious consequences in Europe. This will be a difficult balancing act but any let up on the US navy in the Atlantic will result in it growing and creating major difficulties pulling it back down again.

This will be the year when I invade South / Central America and establish myself in many bases in range of the continental USA. I will be looking to establish myself wherever I can which may include Aleutian islands and Newfoundland as well as Caribbean destinations. Is suspect I will be unable to move on into the US in 1943 and may well have an incomplete conquest of South America.

This should be the grand showdown with the USA

A step into the unknown

WhisperingDeath said:
Before commenting of the Operational future (as expertly outlined above), I want to consider a possible drawback of the "Global Warfare" option. I wil, based on this game, call it the "Basra Conudrum". The theory is as follows: Since all of the world is allied, then nations with sizable infantries that are not linked via land, will send their troop to "key" locations owned/maintained by allies just beyond the front line rather than formulating an attack plan against Greater Deutschland. Just consider how devastating it would be if the allies put together just 10 or 15 small flotillas with one or two corps and landed on the multitude of beaches from Norway down to Gibraltar! My theory is that the AI would not even think to do anything like this while there are "safe havens" of allies that can receive troops. This would be fine if the AI actually used these havens as staging areas (think: Britain and Overlord plan); but it doesn't! The troops just sit there and rot on the vine! Very sad! :(

Anyway, with regard to the strategic vision: I would say that taking Africa (and making this a priority) would help to return this war to a "two front" contest. I like the idea of using the mountains of Persia as a defensive strongpoint. When coupled with the creation of a large naval base on the Horn of Africa it will surely strengthen the south eastern front. The navy then keeps South & North America at bay, while the army (and glorious Luftwaffe!) focus on the "Asian Problem"! This is accomplished through Russia and India. :)
As I suggested earlier, I am quite open to the submission of save file AI edits to change enemy behaviour. Unfortunately if I do it myself it is a bit like playing with "nofog". Currently the US is obsessed with Belfast which is now well defended. If they suddenly developed an obsession with 3 or 4 other places which I don't know about ahead of time (I promise not to look up the province IDs) then the whole defence of Europe campaign gets rather more interesting.

Kanitatlan said:
As I suggested earlier, I am quite open to the submission of save file AI edits to change enemy behaviour. Unfortunately if I do it myself it is a bit like playing with "nofog". Currently the US is obsessed with Belfast which is now well defended. If they suddenly developed an obsession with 3 or 4 other places which I don't know about ahead of time (I promise not to look up the province IDs) then the whole defence of Europe campaign gets rather more interesting.

I would be willing to do this but I know next to nothing about editing the AI. If it is simply looking up a few provinces IDs where the US should land I will do it. I must also say that these have been some great updates.

Am I the only one who sees the Petal Throne as a massive threat? According to my calculations earlier they should be getting enough manpower for around 400-500 division per year. Also, I bet that they a lot of manpower in reserve. I could see them building an army greater than that of the Soviets prior to Barbarossa. Also, since 5 of the manpower and 200 of the base IC is off map, that means that once mainland Asia is conquered, the Petal Trone will still be able to pump out many infantry divisions from Japan. Hopefully by then you will have a navy large enough that you can win all land battles in Japan by naval bombardment. At this point in the game the Petal Throne should be able to easily produce one division per day while still building many more ships of all kinds than Germany.

Production Situation

Production Situation

To complete the end of October review we finish with some production analysis. First up is the issue of resource stockpiles and flows

6cgmele.jpg

October Resources​

As you can see everything is quite healthy except for oil supplies. These are permanently in the negative and the level of consumption is never going to be corrected by capturing oil producing areas due to the shear scale of the deficit. However, this is not a particularly significant issue since at the current rate I have about 5 years of oil in my stockpiles. The ultimate conclusion is that oil is not now and is not going to be an issue. It is, however, quite annoying that there is no way to convert the fantastic energy surplus into something useful.

Note that my minister configuration is manpower optimised and that I could have significantly higher IC (and hence oil conversion) by wheeling out the more vicious security guys.

The following is current production levels expressed in terms of equivalent annual production rates for units in production. This is a reasonable prediction of unit increases expectable over the next 12 months.

15 CV
80 Transport
107 Convoy
108 Air Base
166 u-boat
22 Naval bombers
17.5 CA
12 Int
23 TAC
50 Garrison
3.5 Naval Base

This is costing 334 IC per day out of a total of 606 and the surplus going into supplies is quite significant. Destroyer model 5 and strategic bomber model 1 will soon be available and starting production of these will put me into deficit (for supplies). Note that current upgrade costs mean there is no cost penalty for building SB 1 and then upgrading so there is little point in waiting for better models. The long run of rocket bases will finish on Feb 17th, which will free up 40 IC/day, but this will be consumed by further unit types becoming available.

A CVL run will start some time next year when CVL research stalls (model undecided). This will consume further IC. Also Marines research will ultimately lead to the production of 12 Marine divisions with corresponding brigades. Just to be optimal I will probably equip the Marines with SPArt rather towed artillery. This may not be economically optimal but every tiny bit of improvement helps. Marine production will be more affected by manpower availability, as it will require a total of 180. This will probably mean consuming about a year’s surplus manpower production assuming no sharp losses. Current predicted production is going to cost about 800 manpower with an income over the next twelve months of probably just over 1100 manpower. I may have to cut back on garrison production which is probably quite plausible. Still, the conclusion is that a decent Marine force is probably at least a year off whatever happens.

With current supply stockpiles I can redirect all 150 IC on supplies to production for about 400 days before depleting my resources. With another 40 coming spare in February this gives a large margin of spare capacity for predicted builds. The supply reserve also makes sure that 100% upgrade rate can be achieved when appropriate so we shouldn’t be running it down too much.

Medium term I may also cut back on air bases and u-boats

Manpower incoming is 2.85 per day

Brad1 said:
I would be willing to do this but I know next to nothing about editing the AI. If it is simply looking up a few provinces IDs where the US should land I will do it. I must also say that these have been some great updates.

Am I the only one who sees the Petal Throne as a massive threat? According to my calculations earlier they should be getting enough manpower for around 400-500 division per year. Also, I bet that they a lot of manpower in reserve. I could see them building an army greater than that of the Soviets prior to Barbarossa. Also, since 5 of the manpower and 200 of the base IC is off map, that means that once mainland Asia is conquered, the Petal Trone will still be able to pump out many infantry divisions from Japan. Hopefully by then you will have a navy large enough that you can win all land battles in Japan by naval bombardment. At this point in the game the Petal Throne should be able to easily produce one division per day while still building many more ships of all kinds than Germany.

You are not alone. There is a sense in which the Petal Throne is a massive threat but I along with others am feeling quite comfortable with the distant between me and their power base. This means that it will take a long and sustained effort by them to interfer with my core power base and hence gives plenty of opportunity to destroy them. On the other hand if it takes me a year to destroy 1,000 of their divisions then I will be barely keeping up with their production. This is the real worrying aspect of them and is what will lead to the East Asia campaign being every bit as spectacular as the Russian campaign. This is very different from most german AARs where Russia and the USA are the twin highlights.

Also, if you want to submit target province IDs for the USA the current list is

staging_province = { 958 602 23 21 20 }
target = { 20 = 9000 17 = 9000 21 = 9000 23 = 9000 13 = 9000 28 = 9000 22 = 9000 14 = 9000 12 = 9000 11 = 9000 10 = 9000 9 = 9000 335 = 6000}

I'm not sure exactly what this means but there is an earlier range limit value. It does seem to result in a big focus on Belfast. I suspect adding a string of selected provinces on the Atlantic coasts of Europe and Africa might get us somewhere. Just pick some and we will have a go. Given the long list already present the invasion of England must be being blocked by some range based decision making process rather than anything else. If nobody else submits values then I will and then I will know where they will land.

COMPETITION​

It has been far too long since we had one of these and I'm going for something very different this time.

66jqjnn.jpg

Author?

That's it, a bit cryptic but totally non ambiguous if you know the answer.

In response to the competition: Leopold III (if you are looking for the King of Belgium during the War).

As he says "Author" I'm going Lewis Carroll for "Cabbages and Kings"

El Pip said:

My bad! I missed the "Author" note (font and color issues). I'd agree with your guess. "Curiouser and curioser competitons", said Alice.

Von Uber said:
A manpower of 64 seems to be your limiter, no?
It would be if it wasn't for the fact that it is increasing and I am balancing it with garrison builds. Current territorial acquisitions are best "suppressed" with Garrisons if I can afford them but if necessary I can do without. This means that I can build pretty much any air or naval units I want but cannot go mad on now ground units. The manpower level will probably stay around this level permanently.

WhisperingDeath said:
In response to the competition: Leopold III (if you are looking for the King of Belgium during the War).
Not a bad guess based on the idea of King's and Brussel Sprouts but unfortunately the answer is less cryptic.
El Pip said:
Another nice try but sadly not right.
WhisperingDeath said:
My bad! I missed the "Author" note (font and color issues). I'd agree with your guess. "Curiouser and curioser competitons", said Alice.
Fell free to have another go. I can't give any clues as they all give instant web search answers.

I must confess my brassica identification is not all it should be so it could be that isn't even a sprout but some bizarre other member of the genus.

But assuming it is a sprout I'll guess Robert Rankin.