• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks, I do believe it is time for another dev diary!

We've basically covered most of the features in the game by now, so I thought I'd change tack and talk a bit about what we've been up to in the last week. Much of the focus lately has been on war and peace, both the rules and the AI behaviour. I am pleased to report that we've now got vassals within the same realm fighting each other like the vicious bastards they are.

We have also changed the rules a bit - vassals are now allowed to declare war on independent rulers, but independent rulers still cannot declare war on vassals. Thus, we now have William of Normandy as a vassal of France while invading England on his own. An unforeseen consequence of this is that he now tends to call in his father-in-law, another French vassal, Duke Boudewijn of Flandres to help him out. Marriage matters folks, and don't you forget it!

On a related note, Duchess Matilde of Tuscany, vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor (and the most eligible bride in Europe), tends to open the game in 1066 with a rather bad move, attacking the Pope to seize Orvieto (which is de jure part of her Duchy of Spoleto.) Other times, the Pope usurps the title Duke of Spoleto, and then Matilde feels obliged to attempt to take it back.

Either way, the unfortunate Duchess tends to get a rather nasty surprise. She has forgotten an important lesson that you might remember from an earlier diary - the Pope gets taxes from loyal bishops around Europe, making him a very, very rich man. So, while he has few levies of his own to raise, he can basically afford to hire every mercenary company in Europe! Even the mighty Holy Roman Emperor sometimes loses to the might of the Vatican.

Crusader_Kings_2_DevDiary_110929.png

...and there was much balancing.

Until next time!

If marriages are to be that important I hope we will be able to arrange marriages for more members of our dynasty than just those in our courts and sharing our last name. If I am a king for instance and my count brother has a daughter in his court, while I have none, I would like to be able to offer her hand in marriage to secure an alliance, my brother could still decline I guess but not if that marriage is a good one right?

I too would like to have greater control over the dynasty if i'm head of the whole shabang. I always thought it a waste when I'd see members of the family left unmarried and unproductive, or if I was doing a re-anglo-saxonisation of England it annoyed me when my brother would marry his son to a Norman, thus (albeit occasionally) producing a Norman heir.

Could anyone shed some light as to the nature of the Duchy of Normandy before the invasion? Afaik it was largely autonomous and even resisted France, but if we are to put it in de-jure terms (even though we are "just" coming out of the dark ages here and yet France was arguably the most developed country in Europe there) it would probably be seen as a part of France.

I suppose it's not a major issue either as independent rulers are not barred from declaring war on other independent rulers (King Harold), but only vassals. Is there any chance of the overlord (in this case, France) being called to the war started by a vassal though? This could lead to some very weird results while in other cases (HRE, Russia, Baltic, Byzantium) it would probably be a good option to have.

Also, what if the Pope decides to conquer a chunk of say... Ireland with his mercenaries? Are there any mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening and having the Pope focused on Italy? I CKI I would sometimes see very random spots of (sometimes large) papal territories, though that mostly had to do with how easy it was to conquer the pope in Rome who would then randomly relocate.

Very nice. One thing i would like though is for Paradox to add more details to the map; like roads and trade routes. It would also be cool if you would see cities expand over time and see them burn if they are pillaged etc. etc.

Same thing with the troops in Modena, 51 soldiers against the Pope's 6k? :D

Look at the occupations, the war has been going on for a bit, those 51 troops are either a leftover or a desperately re-raised levy.

What about technology? Have we got the same system as in CK1 and DV?

Pretty much, yes.

Another nice DD teaser to be sure.

On a side note, the CKII logo looks really out of place with the riveted steel looking texture and the overall feel so to speak. Someone should consider redoing it methinks. I rather fancy stone with some silver elements and gold accents. What I would like to see is something that captures the brutal essences of the age but reflects the elegant refinements of station.

This remains my most anticipated game of the year.

Fun DD.:D

If you need topics for future DDs how about one on Emperors as we still know little about how the 4th tier titles will be different from the 3rd tier ones in a gameplay sense. Also how about a DD all about the Byzantines? I think that might please a lot of people, heh.

Nice. Will the AI generally leave the Pope alone or will it try to take the Pope's territories just like any other AI country?

Covered most of the features? What about the titular Crusades?
Crusades in CK1 were so underwhelming that I had hoped you'd come up with a better mechanic than simple war-deccing in CK2.
Please don't disappoint me.

oh cool, the marriages being factored into AI diplomacy if thats the technical way of saying it sounds cool!

will CK2 not have a message box? like all paradox games until sengoku had a message box? only from the screenshots it kinda looks like that, and without it its impossible to keep track of all the stuff happening in other countries that you dont care enough about for them to be on the new important messages system. Getting rid of it just seems a three steps forward one step back kind of thing.

This is something I feel needs to be addressed. The collapsible message box in CK1 was wonderful for idly keeping an eye on what was going on outside of your homeland, but Sengoku's lack of a message box makes that a tedious process.

Hopefully the AI will be able to assess its situation a bit before deciding to press a claim and not do it all the time if the odds of succeeding are bad.

This is something I feel needs to be addressed. The collapsible message box in CK1 was wonderful for idly keeping an eye on what was going on outside of your homeland, but Sengoku's lack of a message box makes that a tedious process.

I have to agree. The message box system in Sengoku was atrocious. Sure it is more streamlined than the traditional Paradox message box, but I really liked the original message box and feel it should remain. The newer mailbox system is quite tedious, inefficient, and kind of annoying. :)

Well, marriages are one of two ways of forming an alliance (the other one is being of the same dynasty.) We want marriages to matter. :)

This is awesome, no longer will I simply be searching for the damsel with the best stats but instead the one who may provide the best in-laws.... love the ploting possibilities with this!

I have to agree. The message box system in Sengoku was atrocious. Sure it is more streamlined than the traditional Paradox message box, but I really liked the original message box and feel it should remain. The newer mailbox system is quite tedious, inefficient, and kind of annoying. :)

Agree as well, I find the message box/system in Sengoku is too hidden and I often dont even notice them building up, which means I just end up deleting them all en masse and as such I feel Im missing many an event. I would much rather have the old style popup.. Please :)

Last edited: