• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"No harm is done, it is true that every president will appoint generals they can trust. No one will ever appoint a rebel with a shady past and obscure political manouvers. But as I have said before, I will fight for an apolitical military, this is one as should be. One who commits itself to the people, and the balance of Chile regardless of party or ideology. We are the soldiers of the country, and shall protect the stability and democracy of Chile above all."

Coronel Francisco Javier De Miranda Reina

I would like to become a General again. I miss having command over the Army of the Andes. I will loyaly serve whoever the people of Chile elect. I shall respect the decision made.

Eduardo Silva
Advisor to the Military

For all those who believe that Chile can become industrialized overnight, you are badly mistaken. Even if Chile were to have a economy run by the government, it would bankrupt us very quickly. The construction of factories is horrendously expensive, so it is better to let capitalists pay these heavy costs, so our government can afford a strong military and navy, among other costs. I am also disappointed that I did not become Treasurer, but Senator Romano is a quite intelligent man and I trust him in said position.

-Armando de Vasces

As we're now down to under two hours:

Presidential Candidates:
Michael Badajoz ((zagoroth)): 13
Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda)): 11
Abstaining: 1

(Still not including candidates' presumable votes for themselves.)

Romano (Budget) Compromise
Yes: 13
No: 11
Abstaining: 3

Gonna be close.

Are you an independent Silva?

de Vasces, I would be honoured if you considered a position in generalship or in my Liberalizing bills

(and to appease the conservativos) IF, I win...

The election is not yet over even though Sen Badajoz assumes he has already won. The votes from the southern provinces are still not in. Two more votes and we will be tied. Let all the votes be counted before we declare a winner in this race. .

Southern provinces from the Chilean Araucanía region are autonomous areas where Patagonian (mapuche) natives roam freely in barely colonized areas. If you look at the ledger they are 100% animist and with very low population levels..

Are you an independent Silva?

de Vasces, I would be honoured if you considered a position in generalship or in my Liberalizing bills

(and to appease the conservativos) IF, I win...

I am an independent. Although my views are slightly closer to the Conservadores but I will support whoever is elected.

Southern provinces from the Chilean Araucanía region are autonomous areas where Patagonian (mapuche) natives roam freely in barely colonized areas. If you look at the ledger they are 100% animist and with very low population levels..

That may be true but I am basing my statement on this quote from the Convention Update

a handful of delegates from the militarist camps in Southern Chile, who had previously been delayed by seasonal rains and snow, arrived to declare their allegiance to Rivera as well.

Do you want a generalship Carrow, or to work on my liberalizing bills?

(sigh) IF, I win of course

By my watch, time has expired and we have exactly 25 votes (the quota I set). The polls are now closed.

Hopefully we'll get even more next time... I think I'll keep all future polls at 2 days in the interest of keeping the game moving.

That may be true but I am basing my statement on this quote from the Convention Update

Yes, I was basing that statement on history; Royalists and Spanish holdouts in the South prompted a large military presence and of course, the soldiers there are still entitled to their votes. They might not be electors, however...

FINAL RESULTS:

Presidential Candidates:
Michael Badajoz ((zagoroth)): 13
Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda)): 11
Abstaining: 1

(Still not including candidates' presumable votes for themselves.)

Romano (Budget) Compromise
Yes: 13
No: 11
Abstaining: 3

Update incoming, though of course it won't have an electoral map because I don't know nearly enough about Chile.

In the mean time, a big round of applause (from his supporters, anyway) for the Second President of the Republic, Michael Badajoz ((zagoroth))! If the new President would be so kind as send me his final picks for cabinet ministers and most importantly, his generals... ((Consult the Rules Post on the first page of this thread for how to assign forces to your generals. Chile currently has four infantry and two cavalry brigades, all of which either need a commander or to be assigned to the capital stack.))

Today will be a day soon long remember in the hearts of the Chilean people. Democracy has prevailed in Chile. We as Liberales, and the centrists of the conservadores who chose me for Glorious Democracy, have prevailed!

For the People, for Chile, for Democracy!

(a more substantial announcement forthcoming, along with final cabinet positions for ThunderHawk, when you guys decide which ones you want out of what is left.)

The 1836 Presidential Election​

The 1836 Presidential Election was the hardest fought campaign in Chilean history to date; Francisco Rivera and Michael Badajoz hurdling neck and neck towards the presidency. Despite the weakness of the Liberales, Badajoz enjoyed broad backing from the Conservadores moderates - including that of the former candidate Senator Romano - while Rivera was backed by the crushing power of the military, nearly a majority in its own right. However, the battles of the election were not fought on podiums or before roaring crowds, but rather in dusty backrooms with a handful of men choosing the fate of the country.

In the 1830's Chile chose its presidents via a system of electors, similar to Pre-Jacksonian America. These electors were chosen by popular vote (by the electorate such as it was), the electors themselves were free to vote their conscience and did not pledge themselves to a candidate prior to the ballot. The Rivera camp accused the Badajoz camp of spoilage when Badajoz named much of his cabinet before the election, claiming "wheeling and dealing" and trading positions for votes. Badajoz countered that the ministers had been chosen on from his strongest supporters and returned with the equally unfounded claim that Rivera was trying to buy and coerce votes from undecided electors.

When election day finally came, Badajoz enjoyed an early rally, but his initial lead was gobbled up by a slow tide of supporters from Rivera. Supposedly, Rivera was heard to say: "If the election lasted only an hour rather than a day, perhaps he would be able to win!", confident that he would achieve another come-from-behind or last minute victory, as he did at the Conservadores' convention. While the vote was nearly tied until the last minute, the final push Rivera needed to secure the presidency never came.

At the end of the day, with all electoral votes counted, Michael Badajoz had won and became the second President of the Chilean Republic by a narrow vote of 81 to 70, with 6 electors still undecided as he secured his victory. Rivera stormed out of the chamber of the Congreso, where the votes were being counted, predicting gloom and doom and vowing he would return. Badajoz and his moderate and independent allies, meanwhile, knew that the coalition that had propelled him to his razor-thin victory was fragile. Cracks would begin to show in it before he ever took office.

A lesser drama than the election was that of the Romano Compromise. A strictly partisan vote passed the act -- observers noted that almost all of Rivera's supporters voted against, while almost all of Badajoz's supporters voted for, with a handful of abstainees.

Rivera's defeat caused enormous discontent among his supporters, some of whom whispered of sedition, resistance, or even coup. However, Prieto - who remained the real force in the Chilean military - was satisfied with the results of the election and put a stop to these mutterings. For the moment at least, there would be no coup.

The tremendous discontent of the hawks was forced to seek another outlet - it found one in the Conservadores. The betrayal of the moderates, said the hawks, had cost the Conservadores the election. The moderates shot back that the hawks radicalism had lost the election, and mass desertion of the moderates was nothing more than the logical consequence of this. Infuriated, the defeated militarists began to plan the creation of a new party free from the crippling influences of the Conservadores' moderates: the Partido Nacional.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Zagoroth, I obviously still need your final policies and appointments before I can issue the first real update.

Conservadores, it's time for yet another vote. Form the Partido Nacional? Yes/No. Liberales and even independents shouldn't vote in this one -- it's purely internal party. Even if the yeas don't exceed the nays, note that the Partido Nacional may form.

I praise Zagoroth for his close victory, may you lead the nation of Chile under great command. Even though I do not fully support you, I hope that you will lead the economy into glory. Viva la Chile!
Edit: Yes, for forming the Partido Nacional

(On that note)

Michael Badajoz steps up to the podium in Santiago shortly after the announcement of his presidency.

"We are gathered here as a people under a new glorious Democracy"
applause
"However, there are those who oppose the freedom of the people! There has been an incident"
silence
"A group of Conservativo extremists have attempted to take the life of your president"
gasp
"The attack on my life has left me scarred, but I assure you I am capable of leading this Sublime Nation"
slight cheers
"In response to this attack, we must attack back!"
growing talk in the crowd
"The leaders of this insurrection are being arrested as we speak, Conservativo military leaders seized, and the Freedom of our people protected"
cheers
"The military which has gathered in the Capital is currently under my command, and will protect against any attack on our great Democracy!"
cheers
"I propose an immediate state of emergency, enacted, to protect our glorious Democracy!"
cheers
"Until the state of our Sublime Republic is cured, I propose the First, South American, Empire"
cheers

Some jaded Liberale

"So this is how Democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

Senator Badajoz

"Furthermore"
silence
"I have something to admit..."
silence
"I am not who you think I am, I am actually... Senator Bachmann!"
talking
"... From The United States in the future, come back to win this election!"
talking
"And by god, I finally did it, I finally (expletive ) did it! Boorah, Boorah, Boorah. In your face, In your face!"
(Note, fake obnoxiousness)
"Thank you, and may our Glorious Democracy live on forever!"

It is with the blessings of God that a more moderate person has been elected as executive. May Chile survive the hard years ahead, and satisfy the hawks in happier times.

Yes, surely this is a proud day for Chile, and Democracy

(also, I was joking, in case anyone missed the candid Star Wars reference. No Coup for You!)

Sebastian Carrow, You are a General now. Rise, Darth... Carr.