• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do not worry Santandera, there is no power the conservativos have to stop the transition of government to the Liberales. Chile will finally have her glorious Democracy, but it is telling that some conservativos seem to want to stop my rise in government.

We need some generals though in my government, no takers for some reason.

¡Chile para los Chilenos!

(You know, keep in mind that currently, Santandera is a conservative (well in actually more just a nationalist but, w/e). It seems like you're treating him as an independent, or liberal)

(but he has liberal economic views, and considering his bill is being passed by most Liberals, he is a good choice for budget minister).

Liberale takers for generalship or my Liberalizing bills I will present?

Hmm, the votes on the Romano compromise mirrors quite well the presidential votes. It's clear we have two camps here.
((Yeah, with Rivera's win in the Conservadores primary and the success of the Peru-Bolivia Act, it split quite neatly into those for and against higher taxes and higher military spending. Hawks and doves, you could say (and a pretty close split, all things considered).

By the way, if there are no ships built and absolutely no other liberal takers for generalships, maybe Gabriel Alvarez could command some regiments of "Marines" (or whatever similar term was used in South America at the time) to fill in the gameplay gap there.))

"I am sad to see that our Chilean Congreso representing the democratic rule of Chile, has turned into a club featuring bickering and propaganda which is completetly out of acceptable proportion. I can only hope the tone of the debates will improve, for insults does not serve our democracy."

- Senator Romano

((I cannot see what that could possibly be refering to. Please point it out.))

I have to say, my confidence in Rivera has been shaken. One does not use dishonourable means to overturn the results of an honourable contest for leadership.
A coup like that would not receive my support. I want an immediate answer from River on this issue, or I might drop my support for his platform. While I do not fully agree with Badajoz, at least he seems honourable enough to not attempt a coup d'etat. Any coup that seeks to destroy the system of government of Chile would receive my vehement opposition.

- Brigadier General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

What are you talking about Colonel? I have yet to hear of any talk of a coup, much less by Candidate Rivera. So men such as myself are worried for the well-being of the men under our command, so what? Does not the Liberale Capitalist worry for the Chileans under his care working in his factories? Or the miners working his mines? We are one and the same.

((By the way, if there are no ships built and absolutely no other liberal takers for generalships, maybe Gabriel Alvarez could command some regiments of "Marines" (or whatever similar term was used in South America at the time) to fill in the gameplay gap there.))

((Or he could, you know, promote me to a full-standing General and help fill the gaps.))

I would be more than happy to assume command if we cannot find any suitable Liberale candidates.

"Sen. Badajoz, if you win the election, will you keep the Peru-Bolivia Act? Furthermore, will you also support industry in Chile? We cannot be a power without a solid industrial base."

Mr. Badajoz, feel free to appoint me to whatever office you feel needs a liberal, though it would be of great pleasure for me if I kept the liberal general or the advisor for full democracy.

-Congressman Zepeda

Coronel, none of the Generals wish to see the army destroyed, they are only attempting to prevent it's total distruction by the Liberales.

They don't wish it, but they are willing accept a government that follows a compromise, that will finish the army. Only so they can get appointed to a rag-tag militia.

Coronel Francisco Javier De Miranda Reina

Last edited:
"We must support whatever the military is given by whomever may govern the Fatherland, we cannot be stern faced and stubborn, as these are the individuals that the people of Chile have chose to lead the Fatherland. May I remind you Colonel, that Colonel Carrera holds much more sway with the current military leadership then you, so I would choose your words carefully if you wish to maintain your current position."

-General Cesar Roseno

" The military although subject to the government should be apolitical, we mustn't have the military for a single party or individual. The fact that Senator Bajadoz is trying to make the army nothing more than a political machine is nothing but insulting to us, and the politicians should not use their ability to assign generals as another way of attracting voters. "

Last edited:
The election is not yet over even though Sen Badajoz assumes he has already won. The votes from the southern provinces are still not in. Two more votes and we will be tied. Let all the votes be counted before we declare a winner in this race.

((I think I'll abstain. Unless you can persuade me to ahistorically found a city slightly early, and vote for you ;)))

"Sen. Badajoz, if you win the election, will you keep the Peru-Bolivia Act? Furthermore, will you also support industry in Chile? We cannot be a power without a solid industrial base."

Sen. Badajoz will not keep the Peru-Bolivia Act, he supports the Romano bill which will cut the military. He also has stated that he does not believe Chile will see any industrialization in his term.

Last edited:
. He also has stated that he does not believe Chile will see any industrialization in his term.

"Industrilization is nothing that happens overnight - or over one term of presidency. Senator Badajoz has the diginity to feed us the truth and that earns him my respect."

- Senator Romano

pallen he has your vote because hes liberal and wants to use your comprimise :rolleyes:

All these attacks, and I am not here to defend myself.

Tamius, everyone is welcome to vote, no matter if they are a senator or a civilian. While I would love to have your vote for Liberale and Democratic Chile, but I understand if you vote conservativo.

I did compromise, I admit it. I have taken the best parts of my Liberale platform of economic advancement and personal freedom, but support the bipartisanship by allowing non-Liberales to exist in my government, unlike you Conservativos who have black-balled us from politics for so long. I am not using generalships to garner votes, at the time I started this I thought the election all but over and wanted to get a head start on positions.

I am making a military that combined will be loyal to no-one, and you I am sure would understand if I fear a coup from conservatidos.

Zepeda, you got a generalship.

Generals: Zepeda, ______ and ______ I will offer three generalship position. One position to a Liberale who voted for me, one to an independent who voted for me, and one to a independent who voted for the Conservadores (General Cesar Roseno, you are not out of my mind as a good option for a balancing military general).

Admiral: Gabriel Alvarez, Grand Captain of Chile's Glorious Navy of Our Most Serene Republic

Treasurer: Senator Romano I will offer one person to be in charge of managing the economical policies stipulated in the Compromise Bill, or that I propose. Likewise, you yourself will be in position to make contributions to the economy. I will put in charge a Liberale for this position, as obviously we ran on Liberal economic principle

Foreign Advisers: Manuel Carrera for Bolivia, Peru, and the North, and ____ for Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay. Will keep an eye on bordering nations, and will have voice of import in how we deal with threats or allies. I will put an independent in charge of this.

Interior adviser: Senator Alvarez Ana Keeps an eye on the interior of Chile to look at Civil Unrest and the like. A Conservative who does not mine working under me is welcome to this position.

Advisers of Transition to Full Democracy for Glorious Republic of Chile: Will have major voices in offering bills, which I agree with, in the transition to a greater Chilean Democracy (for example, adding the ability for not just the landed aristocracy to vote, proportion of votes in game, etc...). I myself will propose one or two passings (for game play reasons I am sure, Hawk does not want all to pass at once.) I will accept one Liberale and one Conservative member.

Campaign Manager: Helps in re-election

I have a few people in mind I would like to reward for good service in this election, but obviously do not know what stance they want in my government.

If anyone is interested in one of these positions, please tell me.

Also if there is some obvious position I forgot, please tell me.

"Dear senator Bajadoz, my intentions were never to smear your name or anybody else, but I will not see an army divided by politicians. I know that if you were to win this election you could appoint any general you want. But why announce it early? If you fear a coup d'etat simply give your generals command of the army AFTER the elections are over. If you say, that you will offer 2/3 position for whoever votes for you. I asked that you take this matter seriously and appoint generals after the elections are over."

(I was honestly just doing this because at the time the election SEAMED over, and I wanted to get things straightened out early. In hindsight, it seems like it can appear jerk-ish and politicial, but I really did not mean it that way.)