• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The plan: throw your units at the Germans right on 22nd June (target: Berlin and Bucharest, mode: Blitzkrieg - for those who will use AI) and never retreat at will, fight until destroyed or shattered. Finally, throw divisions that are recreated after shattering immediately to fight, without waiting for them to rebuild to full strength. Attack with your TACs and CASs without air superiority until destroyed. Apply this from June to December.

In the first half of 1942 you might wait to rebuild shattered units to 50-75% but still throw all you have at the Germans.

In second half of 1942 you may execute some retreats if the Germans are encircling you, and are not obliged to attack at odds lower than 1:1, plus you may start to attempt your first encirclements. Start building fighters to protect your bombers.

Starting from 1943 onwards, allow your troops to buildup 3:1 superiority before launching offensives, but while on the offensive don't stop until your forces are completely spent.

Of course, during all this time build hordes of small infantry divisions and dozens of medium-sized tank units with maximum "gearing" bonuses if such things exist in HOI3.

I might play again using that method once this AAR is finished. Very curious to what will happen.

I might play again using that method once this AAR is finished. Very curious to what will happen.

It might be interesting from an AAR point of view, but no player is going to try and do stupid things because the AI can't surprise. I can already see you'll be on Germany territory before the year is out. The problem I see is that the AI (the German one in this case) does not encircle, you are just being pushed back province by province and can make a calculated retreat. The panzer groups should have jumped started you in 1 week already and should have closed around Minsk, which has not even fallen now yet, locking up your armies there and creating the real chaos that incurred.

Maybe in this beta version, the AI of Germany is not having objectives set by Blitzkrieg mode...?

It might be interesting from an AAR point of view, but no player is going to try and do stupid things because the AI can't surprise. I can already see you'll be on Germany territory before the year is out. The problem I see is that the AI (the German one in this case) does not encircle, you are just being pushed back province by province and can make a calculated retreat. The panzer groups should have jumped started you in 1 week already and should have closed around Minsk, which has not even fallen now yet, locking up your armies there and creating the real chaos that incurred.

Maybe in this beta version, the AI of Germany is not having objectives set by Blitzkrieg mode...?

The AI does encircle as you will see later on. It is just not quick enough to create the historic events. And besides that it only does so on a small scale, one or two provinces, not a huge pocket. I sure hope this will be fixed in the final version but I guess it is rather hard to create an AI to behave like this and be still unpredictable and surprising. However, this wouldn't be a quick walkover from my side. During the entire game I was never able to hold them back along the entire line, there were always regional defeats.

I have to repeat once more, that in order to have success of the magnitude Germans had, the Soviet player would have to let this happen. If Singleton Mosby is defending with all his skills, the Germans (AI or not) are doomed not to achieve historical results and it's not the fault of the AI. I even believe that AI defending Soviet Union will behave better than original Soviet HQ (becaue it will not try to attack in such bad circumstances).

The AI does encircle as you will see later on. It is just not quick enough to create the historic events. And besides that it only does so on a small scale, one or two provinces, not a huge pocket. I sure hope this will be fixed in the final version but I guess it is rather hard to create an AI to behave like this and be still unpredictable and surprising. However, this wouldn't be a quick walkover from my side. During the entire game I was never able to hold them back along the entire line, there were always regional defeats.

I believe an AI which tries to create large pockets is in fact quite easy to defeat.

For large pockets, you have to create spearheads which are in danger to get encirceld themselves if they are cut off. So provoking the AI to create a large pocket could be a nice exploit to kill a lot of advancing armies. Such a behaviour is just sensible if the AI outnumbers you quite a lot.

Ah tanx for youre AAR :)

I believe an AI which tries to create large pockets is in fact quite easy to defeat.

For large pockets, you have to create spearheads which are in danger to get encirceld themselves if they are cut off. So provoking the AI to create a large pocket could be a nice exploit to kill a lot of advancing armies. Such a behaviour is just sensible if the AI outnumbers you quite a lot.

You will be able to prove your theory in 20 days :) :rofl:

If the AI is not able to create encirclements and use all its might to take you on all sides (has Finland come into the war yet?), crippling events have to be installed on the USSR side, otherwise playing the USSR will not be fun. They could just be events when the USSR is being played by a human, a sort of shock event that lowers GDE like in HOI2 and is being worked up based on ground you lose. I really hope something like that will be in in the final version, otherwise no eastern front in vanilla HOI3.

If you load as Germany, maybe you can check if units have been re-assigned to other theatres, hence lowering the chances of german success in the east.

What I don't understand is why you need to use an old BETA for this, would it not be much better to use the most recent installment of HOI3?

The fact that the ai is proving a serious although not an overwhelming opponent is to say the least very encouraging.
One wonders had you played as the Germans would they "the Soviets" ai have been as good.

What I don't understand is why you need to use an old BETA for this, would it not be much better to use the most recent installment of HOI3?

Maybe, because he is previewer, not betatester? (I am not sure if Singleton Mosby is actually a betatester).

Edit. Also, Singleton Mosby, what do tech shown in this screen do?

Link

Last edited:
There is, and that is one main new features.

Edit. On the first page you can see in those screenshots that "< Normal >" (Technology, Intelligence and Production screens) and "< AI Control >" (Diplomacy). You use those to change AI control.

I think Tantor meant that the AI should do his work at work and home, and also amuse his gf/spouse/s.o. (take her to the movies) so Tantor could play, though :p

(Brilliant idea, but I fear it will have to wait until an expansion pack :cool:)

I think Tantor meant that the AI should do his work at work and home, and also amuse his gf/spouse/s.o. (take her to the movies) so Tantor could play, though :p

(Brilliant idea, but I fear it will have to wait until an expansion pack :cool:)

[facepalm] Now when I read the post again it is crystal clear what he meant. :eek:o