• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King of Men

Resident Opportunist
83 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
ynglingasaga.wordpress.com
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
You can read about our multiplayer game, Tides of War, here.

Our game is a Grand Campaign; we started with 1.03 and have now upgraded to 1.03b. We play once a week; the current players are

Italy - Traveller
Prussia - Lotus Lo
France - Dominus
Russia - RCBricker
Austria - CoolElephant
Sweden - King of Men
Greece - GabeHimself
Spain - AngloAmerican
Netherlands - LordDrake22

but this varies very considerably from session to session. We have reached 1854; the Crimean War has ended in Russian victory, Italy is unified and strong, and France dominates the scramble for Africa.

We would welcome your opinions, but not in our AAR thread, please - between Russian propaganda and French distortions of history it's cluttered enough already. This thread, on the other hand, is free for all. You may also want to check out our Diplomacy thread for public stances of the countries; of course, many things go on behind the scenes that the press are not necessarily informed of.

Last edited:
It's smart for the French player to hit the central alliance during the latest war. France has been staring at the gun barrel of sweden, prussia, and austria for too long :)

Of course, now I am rooting for the central alliance, since you guys are the clear underdogs now, with france, italy, greece, russia...lots of hostiles it seems..

Dutch is smart also by keeping its neutrality and later carve up Belgium with France. Well played.

At this rate, Russia will be unstoppable...even without any allies. Russia's potential is huge.

Of course, if China joins the game and receive a tech boost, it can be very very interesting indeed. An industrialized China, even if it's uncivilized, can be quite interesting. Of course, being uncivilized means diplomats will be low, can't expand RGO will be an issue for China. China will also rely on a constant tech boost from other powers. Once China civilize, it might not be Russia who China is worried about. It might be China who will strike fear into Russia.... China or UK can be the perfect counterweight to Russia.

On a happy note, it now looks as though we are getting a China. Fear not, the balance of power in Europe will be restored, even if we have to use half a billion Chinese as a counterweight. Further, the Central Alliance was rather handicapped by some years of an AI Austria, which rather screwed up their army.

King of Men said:
On a happy note, it now looks as though we are getting a China. Fear not, the balance of power in Europe will be restored, even if we have to use half a billion Chinese as a counterweight. Further, the Central Alliance was rather handicapped by some years of an AI Austria, which rather screwed up their army.

I tried to get a friend to join your game, since I cannot play during weekends. He is a bit concerned with speed though as when 4 of us play, it was rather slow and game can still crash. How is your game? Does it suffer constant crashes?

UK, Russia, China are more or less banned from our MP game. With 1.03b, it will probably make it harder for China to civilize.

China in player hand probably won't lose opium war and suffer all those prestige loss. At -300 prestige, it'll be quite difficult for China to civilize and China really needs to civilize. An uncivilized China may suffer revolts and loss of population, due to its inability to expand RGO.

Excelent AAR. You guys had quite a war there, Im suprised Dominus and RCBricker let Prussia off so lightly.

Very Great AAR! I like the whole thing.
Is this one of the first Multiplayer AARs for Victoria?

I didn't really feel it was letting Prussia off lightly, as I and RC had destroyed much of their military and their econ was in shambles... I also have another reason for doing so, but that may never be a factor, we shall just have to see as the game progresses.. ;)

As for what number AAR it is.. There have been a couple before this... I remember Habsburg, HVC and Katmai, who played in Tides of War for a time, had a game with AARs, but that theirs kinda disapeared...

Dominus said:
I didn't really feel it was letting Prussia off lightly, as I and RC had destroyed much of their military and their econ was in shambles... I also have another reason for doing so, but that may never be a factor, we shall just have to see as the game progresses.. ;)

As for what number AAR it is.. There have been a couple before this... I remember Habsburg, HVC and Katmai, who played in Tides of War for a time, had a game with AARs, but that theirs kinda disapeared...

Franco-Prussian war perhaps? :)

I think 1.03b patch has helped prussia more than it helped the French. Luckily, France still has a high manpower, compare to Prussia. In our fresh 1.03b MP game, as Prussia, I can more or less keep up with the French economically, his bigger population means my income will still be below his, but my industrial score is higher than his..until he start massive industry and RR construction....Daily profit difference between Prussia and France is not very big in our game.

Out of curiosity, how do you guys determine who the winner is in your MP game? GP ranking?

Estonianzulu said:
Excelent AAR. You guys had quite a war there, Im suprised Dominus and RCBricker let Prussia off so lightly.

Yes, that made me a bit surprised to. I was expecting France to occupy W. Prussia and Russia occyping E. Prussia. I am also glad, for I dont think at that point I was ready to hand over territory, for I wanted to be difficult, course might have f'ed me for 20+ years though.... But I was expecting to lose the war anyway :) I had 1/2 of all my POP's in the military! I dont think I should have gone on the offense against Russia, since I had no Cav for plains, and sent my good units into France, for he wouldn't have been able to stop them, hoping to hold off Russian horde, but hard to hold of 2 Million men.

Blitzkrieg said:
How is your game? Does it suffer constant crashes?

Constant crashes are fun! ;) Seriously, we had a lot of trouble getting started, but it seems to run more smoothly now. (Touches wood.) Only two or three crashes per session.

Truth be told the war with the Central alliance was something i neither wanted to happen nor to continue. My concern was finishing what i started in the Balkans and get out of the Crimea War before the UK got heavily involved. THat is why prussia got off so easily. Russia will expect trouble from the Central Allies with her every turn and that they will become involved against her in every war. So steps will be taken. SOmething everyone needs to understand about Russia is she is terribly backwards. Vast territory that demands RRs just to travel through quickly. THe 1.03b change that has craftsman working more efficiently based on literacy is a hugh problem for the Russians. My lit is only high 30% and i have been running it at 100% since i took over Russia. HArd country to play in GC.

As an answer to who wins in our MP? I am not sure that there will be a winner so to speak. I think we are playing this more as a Roleplaying experience that we can share with you all in AARs. I maybe wrong but I am not looking to be the victor just to run Russia the best i can.

Yeah, i think Russia got the shortest end of the 1.03b stick, but I do believe it was needed, represents the 'backwardness' even more. I noticed that your Industry doens't seem quite as good, and I'm sure your not making as much money. You don't scare me nearly as much as before :) That 350+ military score I feared could mow me down at anytime.

yeah, not sure winner besides rating points in game, but I'm just looking to have fun, as MP > SP

From reading, I would say the winner is whoever achieves the most, not really in score, but just in success. Right now it would seem Italy has taken the lead. Went through a few wars unscathed and even got land from Austria.

italy did do a impressive job, but dont think they didnt have any help. I have achived nothing, so i must be ranked last....

If Sweden comes out as a colonial power, and preferably forming the Scandinavian Union, I'll consider myself a winner - not necessarily the winner, but I'll look back at the game and say, "I did well." If I make the Great Power ranking as well, I'll be even happier.

Until that question was asked, I hadn't thought about how to determine the winner at all (and truthfully I really probably won't give it any more thought than this post)... I am enjoying being a beligerent bastard way too much to worry about that... Though I think in the first few years (my wars and colonization) I was trying for something of the type...

I actually don't have any ideas what I would consider a victory at all... Basically I'm just roleplaying...

Ah, I'm just wondering about how winner is determined. Our game often seem to have 2 outcomes.

1. We pile onto the "strongest" player, since eu2, it's been a combination of military and economic power, mostly military :) This may have the effect of making the strongest player to quit :)

2. We didn't pile onto the "strongest" early enough, most of us concede "defeat".

At 2 of the players in our game are kinda known to be pile onto the strongest. At least one of them is honest. Often he will tell me our alliance last as long xxx is strongest :)

Victoria provided a way to determine winner, Great Power ranking, based on prestige, industrial, and military. I think it's a good one in my opinion although I don't know how important prestige is, given the way we play.

I'm tired of dealing with revolts in my recent world conquest game. That's why although I know I can go on a rampage of annexing German minors and "unify" germany early, I chose not to. We start our MP game partly to see what 1.03b is like. I want to focus on economic development, then switch to military. Prussia has scripted event for that so that's perfect. I just didn't expect one player to become France, kinda ruin part of my plan :(

I notice in our game, low literacy nation really got hit by the nerf bat hard...it's like this..

Johan: next up, China
(China steps up)
(Johan took out a big nerf bat and whacks China)
Johan: Next up, Russia
(whacks Russia)
Next, Ottoman:
(whacks Turkey).....

I was stunned when I load up our MP game and look at Russia, it's so different from the Russia I played in my WC game. By 1848 in my WC game, I already become tsar of Russia, got economy rolling, build a bunch of troops, annexed Korea and either annexed or close to annex Japan for manpower...

I don't think I can do the same with a brand new 1.03b game. I relied on tariff and non-consumer goods industry quite a bit in my WC game...with lower efficiency...I think Russia will still be a power to be feared, but not in the same way like before.

Russia's tech is either on par with my Prussia or way way behind. I think Russia's techs are generally in the 6-8 range, while my industry tech is 12-14, commerce is fairly good too. My army and navy tech is behind a lot of high literacy nation, such as Denmark, where they have 10/10 army/navy already but I will switch my focus once my economy is in a good shape.

I'm not planning to go for heavy colonization for a variety of reasons.

1. Germany didn't have too many colonies historically.

2. colonies may not be worth my money. Besides, if I start having colonies, I'm going to be forced to divert some of my resources to build up my convoys. right now, every penny is going towards my econ development, I've even stopped both of my canned goods factories and import them instead to keep raising my reserve rate.

3. Raw material is a concern, but I'll solve it when the time comes. Posting my plan only reveal them to my enemy :)

Updates! At least, I updated, and I'm sure the others will follow suit shortly. Bit of a frustrating session this week, with some personal frictions and many crashes. On the plus side, Sweden grows ever stronger; King Oscar now wears the crown of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and the Holy Land is under Christian rule for the first time in centuries. Deus Vult!

Ah, Mp drama...

Sorry to hear about what happened in your game. That kinda happens in MP though if people are very competitive.

The biggest reason why I stopped playing eu2 in MP is because I found balancing nations are extremenly difficult. If one person manage to get some really powerful nation and others cannot check his advance (i.e. France, Austria, England, or Spain in EU2), that player can dictate what he wants and nobody can object to it.

That is why most of us have the tendency to pile on the strongest player so that mistake won't happen too often...

That's why I asked you guys if you have a way of determining winner. For smaller nations, such as Spain, Sweden, or Greece to win the normal way, either by # of provinces, GP ranking, etc. is very difficult.

Just a suggestion to the Greece player, if he still read this thread, as well as to lesser power players. Power is from the barrel of a gun in MP games. At least that's my experience. If your nation is not up to par in terms of military strength, swallow your pride, and bide your time...

EU2 or Victoria, a strong economy often translates to a strong military so...keep that in mind. If you are in a bad position, rely on diplomacy, build up your nation, then challenge the existing order when you're ready, and on your terms :)