• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Jeno
The moral of the story is...even the best of generals will suck if you have really sucky armies and/or don't use them right.
So very true. Actually I have a lot of fun putting grossly inept generals as the head of some of my larger forces to see what I can do with them. My favorite so far has to be my fanatic sycophant that invaded various German states as the UK. You really feel it when you have someone with -40% Org.

Originally posted by Carligula
If I ever manage to get a "Heroic Sycophant" or, better yet, a "Scared Megalomaniac", I will just have to write an AAR based on his career.
:rofl:
Ha! I faced an implacable madman in charge of the main Chinese armies in Blood to the Ankles. His irregular forces had a total of +9 shock, which, at that time in the beta, made them fire 1, shock 9 troops. The fact that his defense was 0 was irrelevant. My low-tech regular infantry armies armies just broke on his forces again and again, for a long, long, time. :D

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
Ha! I faced an implacable madman in charge of the main Chinese armies in Blood to the Ankles. His irregular forces had a total of +9 shock, which, at that time in the beta, made them fire 1, shock 9 troops. The fact that his defense was 0 was irrelevant. My low-tech regular infantry armies armies just broke on his forces again and again, for a long, long, time. :D

Was that the bloke in that mountain province you just couldn't take, Pintang or Poontang or wherever?

This is just what I was looking for when I came to the forum. I hope this information is moved to the FAQ section...

I got a cautious adventurer once. But the efficient and inefficient womanizers are the best.

Steele

What would be really cool would be if the leader traits were initially unknown and then became partially revealed over time, with a little bit of randomness thrown in. For example if the leader's mod of experience was +15%, it might show +1 to +20% if you hovered your mouse over his avatar. But after some time in command (maybe accelerated if he was in combat), it might show +8% to +18%, and eventually might settle on say +14% due to the randomness factor.

That way some really bad commanders might still see some field action. With dramatic results!

I see it's possible to have an "expert amateur". Or a "soft sucker", which sounds like someone more suited to the other oldest profession :eek:o

Paul Drye said:
I see it's possible to have an "expert amateur". Or a "soft sucker", which sounds like someone more suited to the other oldest profession :eek:o
Not to mention the number of perverts that I seem to get in my General staff, I remember one game about 4 of my 6 unused Generals were all perverts.:D I even remember getting the dreaded perverted priest on one occasion. All in all I really like the current leader system it gives a great verity and can bring a great amount of comedy to the game.

The only way I can think of making it better would be to have a weighting for the different traits based on your military budget, government type, state culture and event choices.

Or a "soft sucker", which sounds like someone more suited to the other oldest profession.

Actually, this brings up an interesting historical fact. General (Joseph?) Hooker, who fought in the ACW (I can't recall which side) in the Mississippi River theater, actually hired prostitutes long-term, to travel with his army. This is what caused "hooker" to become a slang term for a prostitute.

I had a lilylivered womanizer once, I wish I could've renamed him Zapp Brannigan:

imgzap.jpg

:D

LOL

Anyone else have a hard time getting good generals? I've had 7 (don't remember what they were) only 2 had traits making it worthwhile putting them in command and one of them died in his second day of battle! :(

Exterous said:
Anyone else have a hard time getting good generals? I've had 7 (don't remember what they were) only 2 had traits making it worthwhile putting them in command and one of them died in his second day of battle! :(
If you compare your generals against a default general (-1 to all stats) rather than against a general without modifiers, it is likely that you will find that rather more than two of the generals were worthwhile using.

....Well, either that or you got really unlucky. :D

not all leaders are bad, and if you convert a few more pops to officers you can really increase the rate of leadership growth, get it up to where you are gaining 5-10 points a month and shouldn't have a problem with leaders that are bad, (can afford to just delete the ones you dislike, I do to any that have attrition + on them)