• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(3902)

General
May 17, 2001
Visit site
I just played through a sweden game, and in 1617 I got event 3227 in which the walloons move into Sweden and set up shop.

This all well and good, but when they arrived I got a total of +13 tax value spread over two provinces and a weapons manufactury.

The entire 1617 Tax Value of Holland is only 17 D! What did 80% of the population of Holland migrate to Sweden? Did they bring all their earthly possesions as well?

I'd think +1 or +2 tax would be more reasonable, but +13!!!? That's more than the *entire* tax value of Zeeland. If every single person in Zeeland took everything they owed and moved to Sweden, it still wouldn't add up to enough production to justify the tax value increase.

Originally posted by pcasey
I just played through a sweden game, and in 1617 I got event 3227 in which the walloons move into Sweden and set up shop.

This all well and good, but when they arrived I got a total of +13 tax value spread over two provinces and a weapons manufactury.

The entire 1617 Tax Value of Holland is only 17 D! What did 80% of the population of Holland migrate to Sweden? Did they bring all their earthly possesions as well?

I'd think +1 or +2 tax would be more reasonable, but +13!!!? That's more than the *entire* tax value of Zeeland. If every single person in Zeeland took everything they owed and moved to Sweden, it still wouldn't add up to enough production to justify the tax value increase.

It could be that Bergslagen and Lappland really has some potential... like when thing get going they REALLY do...

It is perhaps more like this:
2,4 k dutch men (in the cities) made the province 200% better (that's x3)... perhaps x2 is enought... but swedes are sweat... especially me and the Paradox team...:D

BTW, to anyone who would like to know, here's the event:
Code:
[COLOR=silver]
#The Walloons in Sweden#
event = {
	id = 3227
	trigger = {
		owned = {
			province = 257
			data = -1
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = SWE
	name = "EVENTNAME3227"
	desc = "EVENTHIST3227"
	style = 3

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1600 }
	offset = 3649
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1611 }

action_a = { # Encourage Walloon immigration
		name = "ACTIONNAME3227A"
		command = { type = provincetax which = 257 value = 9 }
		command = { type = provincetax which = 260 value = 4 }
		command = { type = population which = 257 value = 2000 }
		command = { type = population which = 260 value = 400 }
		command = { type = gainmanufactory which = 257 value = weapons }
		command = { type = infra value = 1000 }
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 48 value = 3 } # Disgruntled Swedish workers
		command = { type = stability value = -1 } # Integration problems
	}
}
[/COLOR]

The only sensible solution would be changing bergslagen into a goldmine (value 30-50) and change Walloons event to be +20 mine value instead.

This would also allow reduction of bergslagens tax value to 'normal' levels.

The Swedish province tax is just way overpowered late in the game...

A bit like Sealand...

Its one of the wealthiest provinces that is not a Cot

Yeah, I noticed that too :). My late game Sweden, despite having urban populations around 10k-25k, nonetheless had higher tax values than Holland, Italy, or any french province except Ile de France (drat that COT).

I had at least 3 provinces with base tax values in the mid 20s which struck me as a bit ... much.

It was a fun game mind you, but I think Paradox may had been, er, helping the home team a bit on the Swedish events in general.

Actually in the time period of this game Sweden had just 3 really valuable provinces:

Skane, feeding the north
Bergslagen, Falun bronze was the way to go for cannons
Lappland, pelts, gold, timber and iron

Correct me if Falun wasn't the single most important money source for Sweden.

Originally posted by Nikolai II
Maybe not Lappland, but during the early 17th century two thirds (67%) of the worlds copper production came from Falu koppargruva..

That's what I call potential... however, is there a better way to simulate this, than raised tax value?

Originally posted by Bastian_Bux

Correct me if Falun wasn't the single most important money source for Sweden.
it was, and the second largest city. And what Nikolai II wrote is also correct:
Maybe not Lappland, but during the early 17th century two thirds (67%) of the worlds copper production came from Falu koppargruva..

But still, I agree it's overpowered.

The reason for Sjaelland's taxvalue increase is the Sound Due: And that IS true. The Danish monarch was usually one of the richest men in Europe, when he wanted to (problem was that raising the Sound Due pissed EVERYONE else off...)

So Falun/Bergslagen IS definitely rich. Add in the successfull resettlement of german brewers and butchers (falun corv anyone?), and you will end up with a province that is as rich as venice or flanders.

The Lappland region has a very high potentiell, but as far as I know the lappland goldrush was in the 19th century, same goes for the iron mines, and the same with indstrial timber usage. Norrbyskär f.e. (the world largest sawmill, situated at the baltic coast / Västerbotten, but processing most of Lapplands timber) was sbuild in 1890.

Västergotland on the opposite definitely benefited from the wallons, and also from the hugenottes. Especially the Gothenburg shipyards made good use of the influx of wallonish shipbuilders IIRC.

Last edited:
Yah, my concern with the event wasn't that Sweden had excessively rich provinces, although that could perhaps be another thread :).

My concern with the event was that this one event, which was supposed to model the influx of a couple of thousand dutch, added more to the swedish tax base than if the entire province of zeeland had magically appeared off the baltic coast and announced its fealty to the Swedish crown.

I don't care how hard working, efficient, or galvanizing those Walloons were, there's just no reasonable way they added 13 to the Swedish tax base.

It's not the only swedish eent which is overpowered... I've made Sweden less overpowered myself, some Ai fixing and stuff. Who else should do it?

Originally posted by Kaigon
That's what I call potential... however, is there a better way to simulate this, than raised tax value?

I'm still for goldmine, that'll make it more valuable as tech increases. Also, during some dark moments for Sweden it was actually used as a goldmine - for minting coins that is. (And thoose coins were huuuge)