• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Wasa
Hmm..not changing history are we?..:D ..don´t forget that Norway and Denmark almost got annexed 1658-1660...;)

Hey, I only did so that Sweden tries to expand into Manchuria and putting only Korea and Manchu on their kill list!:D;)

Seriously, It's not much I changed, there wasn't much of it I understood...

Remember that it was we (Norway) that put an end to Charles XII and the swedish "golden age".;)

BTW, I put Sweden on every AI's kill list;):D

Originally posted by Damocles
Actually, I think Sweden isn't strong enough in MP terms. Its always the 'Northern Bitch'.
No, it is not. Sometimes it is "that scary bastard" :D

On the other hand, the Swedish tax increases do beat just about anything. In 1419, Sweden has a base tax of 68. Over the next 400 years, a standard choice of event options by a human player will increase this by +35 to 103. That is a 51% increase in base tax by events. Not too shabby.

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
No, it is not. Sometimes it is "that scary bastard" :D

On the other hand, the Swedish tax increases do beat just about anything. In 1419, Sweden has a base tax of 68. Over the next 400 years, a standard choice of event options by a human player will increase this by +35 to 103. That is a 51% increase in base tax by events. Not too shabby.

But the scary thing is that it probably won't be too unhistorical... I'm pretty sure the tax-income of the swedish crown in 1819 was *quite* a bit larger than it was in 1419 :)

Originally posted by Arilou
But the scary thing is that it probably won't be too unhistorical... I'm pretty sure the tax-income of the swedish crown in 1819 was *quite* a bit larger than it was in 1419 :)
That would be the same for just about any nation and, as such, no particular reason to give Sweden tax increases. :p

Lappland was exploited a bit in 1650 something, can't remember the years, but the manufactory was then closed down and not reopened again until much later. Also during the russian costal raides in the 1700ds a lot of manufactories were burned down. A few other fun points is that the swedish crown was poorer after the 30 years war than before it. And after the peace in Nystad 1721 sweden lost like 40-50% of her income. In EU terms sweden lost Kexholm, Ingermanland, Estland, Livland, Kurland (Well they lost Riga, but in the game they own Kurland) Stettin (and their part of Vorpommern) as well as Bremen. Holding those ports was a huge moneymaker since russia exported naval supplies and the Dutch and the English was expanding rapidly. Well some spread out points...

Last edited:
I also reduced the Swedish initial tax base somewhat (in province.csv) in order to keep Sweden from growing into an early-game monster. It seems to help, given how militaristic Sweden usually is.

We should also remember that Sweden wasn't a particular rich country. Most of Sweden's military might during the height of it's expansion was actually financed by the French - the Swedes were utterly incapable of raising and maintaining an army of that size on their own.

It might be more accurate to reduce the Swedish tax base, then to artificially increase it via event during the time frame of the European ventures, reducing it again via event when French funding was historically cut off. Sweden would then be more likely to mimic history, e.g., backwater for much of the game, a sudden rise to military dominance, then a return to relatively unimportant backwater status.

But if we do this, we'd also have to reevaluate other overpowered provinces in the game (e.g., certain French and German ones) as well as some of the underpowered ones (e.g., Spanish). And all of this might best be left to EU3.

Max