Victoria 3 - is it really a necessity? And if yes, why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If it's a DLC, then okay. Just don't ask that on release
That is kind of how I see it occuring. As this DLC could allow them to take another look at war and peace, and perhaps revolutions after the game being out for a year or so.

Arguments over Victoria Dev Diaries/patches are the best arguments, because they become really esoteric debates on sociology and economic theory/modeling. Isn't that reason enough?

Plus, Paradox needs to haze new programmers by making them work with Victoria's World Market code ;)

Victoria is their best core game. It covers the most interesting peiod, it covers the most interesting aspects of life simulation. Combat, Expansion, Politics, Revolutions, Westernization, World War, Colonialism, Great Powers, Industrialism. Victoria shapes the real world. It makes EU IV feel meaningless because it's really in Victoria 2 you shape the modern world.

Combat, Expansion, Politics, Revolutions, Westernization, World War, Colonialism, Great Powers, Industrialism.

If it covered any of them well, it would be a great game. Unfortunately they vary from barely satisfactory (colonisation), to unimpressive (combat), to deeply annoying (revolutions), to non-existent (world wars).

If it covered any of them well, it would be a great game. Unfortunately they vary from barely satisfactory (colonisation), to unimpressive (combat), to deeply annoying (revolutions), to non-existent (world wars).

That´s why i tend to think of Victoria II more as an "Proof-Of-Concept" than anything else. It´s still my favourite PDS game by miles, but it has so much more potential. And espacially with PDM, World Wars and Revolutions actually felt good.

it seems all the 3rd generation PDS suffered from this. it's a big reason why V3 needs to happen. along with the state of the map going from EU4-V2, and the map is iffy too. all the colors like like they've bleached.

That´s why i tend to think of Victoria II more as an "Proof-Of-Concept" than anything else. It´s still my favourite PDS game by miles, but it has so much more potential. And espacially with PDM, World Wars and Revolutions actually felt good.

ya know, technically V2 IS a proof of concept given it's infamous inception (or would it be conception idk?). but yeah all of the above. the lets play videos are interesting. it just needs a sequel.

along with the state of the map going from EU4-V2, and the map is iffy too. all the colors like like they've bleached.

Well that is a controversial opinion if I ever saw one. A lot of people prefer the "mappy" look of Victoria 2 to the glossy look of EU4. I do not mind it too much, and it can be modded in any case, but I would certainly not make the case that the map in EU4 is better - though it may be what they need to market the game to a wider audience.

I like V2, it may be my favorite Paradox game. That said, I can't in good conscience recommend it to most of my friends because the learning curve is brutal. I can't come up with a Paradox franchise which needs a new version more than Victoria.

V1 already proved that concept to me. What I was hoping to see in V2 was the same kind of development you saw between HOI1 and HOI2, and that didn't happen.

I like V2, it may be my favorite Paradox game. That said, I can't in good conscience recommend it to most of my friends because the learning curve is brutal. I can't come up with a Paradox franchise which needs a new version more than Victoria.

Agreed.

It's quite obvious. Although the elephant in the rome can also clearly get a new installment. The rest have had new installments at least 3 years ago and are all still being worked on. Obviously Victoria 2, 5 or 6 years old now and no longer being supported needs a sequel in the near or distant future.

I haven't played Vicky 2 but the 3rd installment of the series would be nice.

If Paradox decides to create Vicky 3 then I hope they will do EU4 convert just like CK2.

I think people misunderstood when I mentioned industrialisation and technological progress. I ment that Britain had the leading role, not the only role in these aspects. I ment that if Britain no longer had this leading role, what will cause the rest of Europe to industrialise? After all, the whole of Europe played second fiddle to Britain and simply copied what happened there. I'm not saying industrialisation would not happen, I'm saying it wouldn't have happened in a form recognisable to us.

The only way a Napoleonic victory can stop Britain from industrializing is if Napoleon goes full-out mountains-of-skulls and razes every city in England, killing the bourgeoisie and smashing all the machines of the First Industrial Revolution. If that doesn't happen, England still industrializes, at most ten years later when the economy normalizes after the war. Sorry, but the foundations were there already; and, one could argue, the walls and part of the roof as well.

The only way a Napoleonic victory can stop Britain from industrializing is if Napoleon goes full-out mountains-of-skulls and razes every city in England, killing the bourgeoisie and smashing all the machines of the First Industrial Revolution. If that doesn't happen, England still industrializes, at most ten years later when the economy normalizes after the war. Sorry, but the foundations were there already; and, one could argue, the walls and part of the roof as well.

Pretty much. There's certainly scope for handling Napoleonic warfare in Vicky, and arguments to the contrary seem to have the unreal air of people who have first decided their position emotionally and then constructed an argument around that.

We definitely need a sequel to Victoria. Thing is, Vic2 was made in this awkward period for PDX, during which they are starting to figure out how to make games approachable yet still retain depth. The resulting product was an admirable try even if it still fails short some what

Point is, PDX learnt a lot during this time period, combined with the fact that Vic2 is the 1st serious breakable hit PDX made, they finally got the infrastructure ready to enforce their vision properly. The end result is CKII and EUIV, both of which is severely advanced in terms of presentation compared to Vic2.

This trend appears to continue for HOI4, and with all those "field experience" --in HOI4 terms-- that they have earned, it'd be stupid not to try to make Vic better

I wish victoria 3 would be made. Vic 2 had much potential but many aspects were not in the game. Like WW and other things so I played a mod. It would be also nice if there would be some ministers and head of states in the game. It feeled less personal which was sad. For example when I play my dynasty from ck2 and EU IV to victoria 3 i want these guys also in the game, because i feel connected to them.

Simple.

baby_missed_it.jpg

V2 missed it by this much.

Dan (Podcat) can fix that for a dollar, with a little help from his friends. ;)

Victoria 3 itself might not be needed, but a successor "in spirit" certainly is. I wouldn't mind ideas of Victoria wrapped in Cold War period, for example. If you look at other series Victoria is the least exploited major one, while having the most potential for expansion out of them all. A lot of Victoria's 2 features can be improved and expanded upon too. Victoria 2 was built heavily on Europa Universalis as base (and so did a couple of other games). And it shows in gameplay. If you look at modern Paradox titles you should see that with each passing "generation" series are gaining more and more individuality. Victoria 3 does deserve to be unique in its own right. To have its own mechanic and feel. Like Crusader Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 4 do.

- Starting dates. It's surprising there's no September 1914 start date (or even a 1912 start date), and it wouldn't be bad to have one prior in 1870 (Franco-Prussian war) and 1904 (Japanese-Russian war) as well. Best possible would be an EU/CK post-1066 style 'start whichever day you like' approach, but that may be too much work to be practical.
I like your other ideas, but this one is not possible, at least if they keep the pops system (I hope to god they do). There's a reason there's only two vicky2 start dates, and that is finding accurate population data for every province in the game.