• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

V1ribus

17% Fascist
76 Badges
Jun 22, 2013
  • For The Glory
  • Rome Gold
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
I'm fighting against Lotharingia who is fairly low on troops, I manage to make them attack my forces in the mountains with inferior numbers but; the Italian troops are now fighting me too (giving the Lotharingians superior numbers) and we aren't at war with eachother! Does anyone know how they are doing this?

1024x575.resizedimage
1024x575.resizedimage

Reactions:
They aren't fighting you--they're just standing in the county. That's why their name is grayed out. Look at the numbers for the Army of Count Roger, your enemy. That's the full size of the army you're fighting, and the italians aren't added to it cause they're not involved.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm wrong!

Linked armies fight as one even if one of the parties would not be in a war against you.

That seems awfully exploitable, how do I force them to split?

Any way I can have others forced to attach their armies to mine?

They aren't fighting you--they're just standing in the county. That's why their name is grayed out. Look at the numbers for the Army of Count Roger, your enemy. That's the full size of the army you're fighting, and the italians aren't added to it cause they're not involved.

Why are the Italian troop numbers included the battle total, shown in the 2nd screengrab?

Reactions:
I think this is a issue that probably is known by a decent amount of people if you happen to see a thread of it in a past. As it current stands neutral parties that are attached to your enemy stack and allied will help that enemy stack in what ever battles. It's also like how you can have 3rd parties help you siege if you were the first one to start it. What I'm not sure if it's generally regarded as a bug or wad by the forum community.

What I'm not sure if it's generally regarded as a bug or wad by the forum community.

I'd certainly say bug, you can essentially call in your allies to a war (especially in MP) without putting their individual levies or holdings at risk; more troops to fight with but no extra land to defend..

Reactions:
I'd disagree that it's a bug. It seems to me to be in the spirit of an alliance - sure, you might not be actively seeking out battles with the forces you're not explicitly at war with, but if your ally is involved in a battle right next to you it makes perfect sense that you'd help out.

Also, it's actually not incredibly easy to intentionally exploit; the AI will seek out the war goals of the wars it's involved in - they don't necessarily follow your army around all the time. The concern about not having to put holdings or troops at risk for the allies isn't relevant either, because if your allies were at all capable of significantly influencing the war in your favor their holdings wouldn't be at risk anyway.