• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ekorovin

Lt. General
6 Badges
Jun 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I've already wrote about it in some thread, but it got buried.
Basically, it's not right to have non-Muslim Tajiks in 867. And right now there are Zoroastrian Tajik provinces. The word "tajik" itself came from Sogdian "tāžīk" meaning Arab. Over the time it begun to mean "settled Muslim of non-Turkic descent in Central Asia", but it was never applied to non-Muslims in the region.

To add to that, I don't think separate Tajik culture is entirely necessary. Tajik language as distinct variant of Dari emerged only in XIX century and is used only by Tajiks of Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, while in Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan they use Dari. Dari itself can be called a dialect of Farsi, and a special culture for every distinct Persian subgroup would be an overkill.

A melting pot where Islamized Sogdians, Bactrians, Khwarezmians and other Eastern Iranian peoples can become Tajik under Arab or Turkic control will work too.

Last edited:
I agree on what you said about the dialect thing. There shouldn't be a whole new culture based on that. If people are going by the modern term of Tajiks then they should be replaced in game by Persians. And Afghans should be replaced by Pashtuns considering they added a Baluchi culture but not a Pashtun one. Also in reality i think the Bedouin culture should also be removed. I mean Bedouins are nomads, they aren't city dwellers the Sultan/Caliph of an empire stretching from Spain to India is not someone who raises sheep and lives in a tent. Bedouin should be replaced by Mashriqi in the east and Maghribi in the west. But if somehow no one is convinced, at least add a Khaliji ("From the Persian Gulf" in Arabic) culture for those east of Hedjaz and Yemen, and have Hedjaz and Yemen be Mashriqi.

If this is meant for SWMH, there is thread to dicsuss these things, though it currently is pushed back.

The Tajik culture will be in SWMH after the overhaul of Persia which is currently being done... so we can discuss it in the Persia thread. I will answer there as soon as the forum will fully start working for me.
I agree on what you said about the dialect thing. There shouldn't be a whole new culture based on that. If people are going by the modern term of Tajiks then they should be replaced in game by Persians. And Afghans should be replaced by Pashtuns considering they added a Baluchi culture but not a Pashtun one. Also in reality i think the Bedouin culture should also be removed. I mean Bedouins are nomads, they aren't city dwellers the Sultan/Caliph of an empire stretching from Spain to India is not someone who raises sheep and lives in a tent. Bedouin should be replaced by Mashriqi in the east and Maghribi in the west. But if somehow no one is convinced, at least add a Khaliji ("From the Persian Gulf" in Arabic) culture for those east of Hedjaz and Yemen, and have Hedjaz and Yemen be Mashriqi.
The cultures are not languages or dialects only. They reflect much wider range of attitudes and customs and that ia the reason whe Bedouin will remain in future (note that I speak only on behalf of SWMH).

I have a plan for further division between settled and nomadic cultures which is one of reasons why the Bedouin culture will not disappear.

As for the cultures in the area of greater Iran, you will get my reply in appropriate thread later...

Ok, I will copy this post to the designatated SWMH thread.
But I would love to hear from VIET team too, as they currently have Sogdians and non-Muslim Tajiks at the same time, which I found a bit ahistorical.

But I would love to hear from VIET team too, as they currently have Sogdians and non-Muslim Tajiks at the same time, which I found a bit ahistorical.
that makes everything clear...
the answer in the SWMH thread will come, perhaps no need to copy it (anyway this is a good reason to revive the Persian thread after all, there were wuite many discussions touching the area anyway

PS: I didn't know it had fallen THAT deep, this subforum is dangerously active :D