• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagooNZ

Captain
4 Badges
May 17, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
The spearheads and encirclements required to achieve bitter peace before the end of the summer of 1942 (AoD 1.08 TRM normal, normal).

Been thinking about having a thread to discuss this. A risk is that Gringo might change his mod to counteract my approach & make it impossible :eek:

I suggest the following posts:
Post 1: Preamble, politics and pre-Barbarossa setup.
Post 2: The secondary fronts. Here I would discuss strategy and force dispositions.
Post 3: Finland Here I would discuss strategy and GER force dispositions.
Post 4: The first two spearheads of Barbarossa.
Post 5: The first two encirclements of Barbarossa.
Post 6: The third spearhead and encirclement.
Post 7: The advance to the west bank of the Don? river
Post 8: The fourth spearhead and encirclement (expected to be Moscow?).
Post 9: not clear what this one will be????? etc

The main focus would be on the terrain and spearhead paths, Barbarossa force dispositions would be mentioned but not discussed in a whole lot of detail?
Any interest in something like this? Of course, your own alternative strategies would be most welcome.
Unfortunately work commitments could make my progress with this thread a bit slow.

I'm pleased there is no interest in this. In this my first 1.08.2 TRM game, the air war only heated up just after Pearl Harbour (so initially much quieter). :D JAP hadn't done anything in China, not even to Nanching?, so was still struggling there. :( The first part of Barbarossa went okay, but for the summer the Wehrmacht only managed two encirclements, when three is required. And I didnt get to the west bank of the Don river. The 41/42 winter was quite tough, so coming into spring 42 I am now virtually out of manpower. Then an event triggered that gave a province in Russia to partisans. I just had one 4 div corp retreated into that province (from Gronzo?, near Sunwalki), recovering organisation, but ownership changed over to the partisans anyhow. :huh: There were two other corps retreating into that province at the time the event triggered, so I lost between 7 and 12 divisions due to this one event. :angry: At that stage I decided to throw in the towel on that particular game. TRM is so difficult that the loss of all these divisions in this manner is likely to make it too difficult to recover from.

I did learn a few things from this game. Take MC over Italy as soon as possible after ITA joins the war, to limit the damage the Royal Navy does to the Italian fleet. Take Crete as soon as possible after France falls, to get the Africa Corp early (havent checked the triggers for this event but expect Crete will be in it). Throw everything into Alexandra. Once taken, this opens the door to a multidirectional attack on Suez. Suez also needs everything possible thrown at it too, otherwise it becomes a killing field for the axis. Adopt the very successful LimaTango strategy of annexing South Africa; capturing Suez & Alexandra makes this possible.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm having a stupid moment, but are you discussing about making a mod or tactics for the TRM? If it's about tactics, I'd recommend posting in the TRM thread or on the general AoD forum.

Yes, definitely tactics. The TRM thread is already very long, so I would prefer to transfer to the general thread.

I was familiar with LimaTango & Mr_B0narpte 's AARs (since they are or have been quite recent). Must have seen panzergeneral's AAR at some time in the past, just had another quick look, but what a huge encirclement in the centre. It made me think to look up what triggers the arrival of a fresh new SOV army, and where it is deployed. Can one do a similar large encirclement by avoiding capture of the provinces that trigger the new SOV army events? Would be a bit of a cheat to look at the event structure with a view to achieving that.

clist123abc's AAR wasnt successful, but may have had too many self imposed restrictions.

Can one do a similar large encirclement by avoiding capture of the provinces that trigger the new SOV army events? Would be a bit of a cheat to look at the event structure with a view to achieving that.

You can search events/hoi2.txt for the Bring 'em On event and look to see where all the dormant/locked militias are activated. Those are the provinces where free armies arrive. (I put militias in them so the Player would not be able to cheat and do an airborne assault on any of those provinces). Free armies also pop up in Leningrad, Moscow, Kulybyshev (the secondary capital, forgot the spelling), and Sverdlovsk. I doubt if you could plot a route that avoids those provinces and the provinces adjacent to them.