• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tabanese

Captain
57 Badges
Feb 12, 2013
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Island Bound
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Alright, so disclaimers first: I'm not omniscient and I don't pretend to be. I'm making this up as I go along and if you have an issue, feel free to voice it. :)

So, with the amazing success of Panzer's Succession Game over, I present to you your new addiction: By the Ballot. I suggested this idea in Panzer's trend. Whereas the last game had the new ruler emerge via chance, which perfectly paralleled nature bequeathing Kings and Queens, this game is one where each player is an elector and the elector-player with the most votes plays next. This will hopefully generate the same kind of buzz and what-not as Twitchplayspokemon did, with a strong meta keeping people as engaged. This is where my disclaimer comes in: That is the extend of my idea. I need help doing things such as picking a country to play as (must be a republic), deciding if this is going to be 'raw' EU or use a mod (my vote is D&T) and what the meta-rules shall be (things that apply to our behaviour in the forum).

So, I'll leave this trend idle until Sunday, 12:00 GMT so people can chip in their ideas. Then I'll make a proposal on the feedback, which will be either affirmed or denied by majority vote, with voting closing at 15:00 GMT that same Sunday. If affirmed, we play. If denied, back to scratch.

Have fun. :laugh:

Okay, here are the rules the game operates under. It is based on custom and common sense, so hopefully it doesn't case too much confusion and is just used in case of dispute. Enjoy.

The Constitution of Tuscany

Section 1: Ruler Conduct

Article 1: A Ruler shall have a Three Consecutive Terms limit.
Article 2: After you fail to be re-elected or reach a term limit, you must wait the same length of time before returning to politics.
Article 3: You may ignore your political mandate but you may not make the following decisions without the approval of the Forum: Changing government, adjusting policies without an event, changing State Religion, changing and embracing National Ideas and/or moving the capital location.
Article 4: War and/or colonisation must also be ratified with the people.
Article 5: Treason (the ignoring of Article 3 and 4) will result in a trial by jury. The jury will be selected by lot and will have authority to hand down any punishment no more extreme than a 4 turn ban.
Article 6: A ruler shall save the game a week before the end of his term.
Article 7: A ruler who can not serve until the week before the end of his term shall select a new ruler, play out the month and then save.
Article 8: A ruler shall upload the save and link it to a thread post as soon as possible.
Article 9: A ruler shall declare a new vote under the Election category within the same post specified in Section 1, Article 8.
Article 10: A ruler shall seek to enact any concluded votes before the end of their term.

Section 2: Voting Process.

Article 1: Votes are cast by placing a preference at the top of a thread post.
Article 2: Preference shall be stated with the following form: (Category:Selection).
Article 3: Preferences shall be counted if they meet all the following criteria: They are sensible, they are unambiguous, they are cast within the voting time-line.
Article 4: The voting time-line is the time between the thread post that declares the vote and the deadline.
Article 5: The deadline shall be the first 20:00 GMT seventy two hours following the declaration of a vote.
Article 6: Following the deadline, anyone may conclude the vote by declaring the winner according to the majority Selection of countable votes.
Article 6: When a vote is called for, it shall specify its category.
Article 7: The categories include but are not limited to: Election, By-Election, Government, Slider, Religion, Idea, Capital, War, Colony.
Article 8: Votes that decide another ruler, where the current ruler has complied with Section 1, Article 8, shall be placed in the Election category.
Article 9: Votes that decide another ruler, where the current ruler has failed to comply with Section 1, Article 8, shall be placed in the By-Election category.
Article 10: Votes that decide a new form of government shall be placed in the Government category.
Article 11: Votes that decide a policy-slider move shall be placed in the Slider category.
Article 12: Votes that decide a new state religion shall be placed in the Religion category.
Article 13: Votes that decide to embrace a national idea shall be placed in the Idea category. Ideas that replace previous ideas must specify which idea the vote will replace.
Article 14: Votes that decide where to move the capital's location shall be placed in the Capital category.
Article 15: Votes that decide whether to declare war shall be placed in the War category. Votes using the War category must specify Casus belli and target country.
Article 16: Votes that decide whether to settle a province shall be placed in the Colony category. Votes using the Colony category must specify target province.

Last edited:
As much as I don't like the original game's borders, the lack of detailed documentation on Death and Taxes has always made me leery of trying that mod. Vanilla's my vote, too. As for nations, I vote Novgorod or Ulm. Gotta have some challenge.

In terms of rules, I'd recommend putting a limit of two consecutive terms on leaders. Otherwise, everyone will be all, "Only Tabanese has the magnificence required to lead our nation!" every election and no one else will get a turn :rolleyes:. Once you're out of office, you need to wait two elections (not necessarily two leaders) to be elected again.

Would it be possible for me to vote but not run?

I'll give it a bash, I recommend you have a time frame on elections to stop people being delayed waiting for 1 vote. I'd prefer vanilla since I've not played D&T.

Country : Hansa - Merchant republic might give people a new playstyle and the proximity of the HRE should stop wanton conquests.

Last edited:
I'd say Death & taxes, simply because it has a beautiful map, and what do you mean lack of documentaton eon47?
Ah, sorry for not being clear. I considered using Death and Taxes when I was on my last mod hunt, but the only information I was able to find on it (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?621560-Death-and-Taxes) was rather vague, particularly the ominous "and lots more" that never gets clarified. I have very particular tastes, and I'm reluctant to take on faith that a given mod will be what I want. That, and the lack of information also means I'd have to frequently bother people on the forums for answers, something I prefer to keep to a minimum.

I'm sure it's a great mod given its popularity, but without knowing what "realistic Mexican and South American native tribes" and other features mean (one person's realism is another person's gamey nonsense), I'm reluctant to learn how to play it. And on that note, I'm shutting up about this subject to avoid sidetracking the topic. I do have a history of being that guy...

And on that note, more people should vote for countries.

Subscribing to the thread but I'll just be an observer :)

Hey, thanks for crediting me! :)

Of course I will join this, brilliant idea. As for my suggestions:

-I'm okay with either Vanilla or D&T, as I have both, though I have much less experience with D&T, plus more people have Vanilla, so I'm leaning towards that
-My favorite countries would be Switzerland, for HRE challenges, Genoa and Venice for being Merchant republics, and so Hansa would also be my favorite choice, for combining both of those.
-Lastly, Eon raises a very good point about the same people being constantly elected and weaker rulers never getting a turn, therefore I propose a maximum of 4 re-elections in a row, with every re-election adding 2 terms to how long you have to wait before being elected again.(ie, if you rule for 1 term, you have to wait 2 terms before running again, rule for 2 and you wait 4, etc...)
-Oh and, surely each person should have some electoral campaign stating what their goals will be etc...?

So, I'll leave this trend idle until Sunday, 12:00 GMT so people can chip in their ideas.

Yay for people chipping in; boo to me for being late. I do apologise. My bed may have kidnapped me and held me in warehouse of comfort. It was a while before I could pay the ransom. :p

First off, I pissed that Vanilla has won the vote. I rarely play without D&T since I installed it, so my personal preference is clear. However, I completely understand and furthermore, it wouldn't be as inclusive to use a mod, so Vanilla it does make more sense. Final tally was 5:3.

As for country, I forgot to personally vote. I would prefer playing as Florence. My rationale was that noble republics allow both royal marriages but have terms and Florence itself is in Europe, is Western, is near the HRE without being dominated by it and has a clear unification goal as well as the possibility of becoming HRE emperor (I think. It definitely can be an elector. In D&T. Hmmm....).

So the voting breaks down as: 3 Hansa, 2 Novgorod, 1 Florence, 1 Ulm and 1 for both Teutonic and Lithuania which I don't believe are republics. However, 3:2 isn't exactly a clear majority, given that I could change it now by voting for Novgorod instead. So rather than finalise it, I think we'll use it to test our voting procedure, which is needed anyway.

So, the forum rules. Before I start:
AsdfeZxcas and 1anrs said:
Would it be possible for me to vote but not run?
Of course.
1anrs said:
Subscribing to the thread but I'll just be an observer.
That's cool too.

As to what the rules are for, they are for the unlikely. I find it unlikely that a good, lively game will suffer from a gridlock of parties but just so that is impossible, we'll have certain rules. I'll try to justify them OOC and IC.

Rule 1: A Three Consecutive Term limit. OOC: You're too good a politic guru for us peons. IC: The country is surrounded by Monarchies and the people are justifiable nervous of those who keep power for too long.
Rule 2: After you fail to be re-elected or reach a term limit, you must wait the same length of time before returning to politics. OOC: Forces personality cults to at least vary the personality. IC: Our country is concerned about Nepotism and those who share connections and ideology with too recent a ruling individual is mistrusted.
Rule 3: You may ignore your mandate (which the other side will leap upon) but you may not make constitutional changes. These include changing government, policies, religion, National Ideas (including embracing them) or the capital location. OOC: This will give the forum something to actually bicker about outside of who goes next. IC: These are important things, changed by important persons only with the consent of the elite and the people.
Rule 4: War and/or colonisation must also be ratified with the people. OOC and IC are the same as the above.
Rule 5: Treason (the ignoring of Rule 3 and 4) will result in a trial by jury. The jury will be selected by lot and will have authority to hand down any punishment no more extreme than a 4 turn ban. OOC: This game is played with a co-operative spirit. If someone really trolls us, we can just reset, so this was more to facilitate minor reprimand and allow for some to martyr themselves for the country. IC: We are a civilised people. Treason is punished via the gallows, not the guillotine.

Those are the rules relating to players. I'll attempt to monitor my own thread (though volunteer if you'd like to help.)

So, the first round of debate is two fold. You are both arguing for which country and discussing the forum rules. The rules I'll change if the discussion yields good insight, vote not required as rule creation isn't that binary an affair. The vote for the country will use an external poll website. The nominated countries will be listed as well as a vote of no option, where the vote will be re-cast with different countries. Most votes, even by small margins win.

So, get involved, vote and debate.

The Country Voting Link
CAN YOU ALSO DECLARE YOUR VOTE ON THE THREAD. I NEVER THOUGHT OF PROXY ABUSE, SO THIS IS TO PREVENT FRAUD.
Voting closes at 22:00 GMT tonight if at least four votes are registered. Otherwise, it carries on until 12:00 GMT Monday where it will be closed regardless. (I'm trying to strike a cord between speed and fairness. If anyone has any advice regarding this, either PM me or comment here.)

Last edited:
(Yes, a double post but this is my 'vote for me post')

VOTE FOR FLORENCE!

The other countries are republics because an aristocracy of trade got concessions from the aristocracy of blood or because stuffy bureaucrats make it impossible for true men to aspire to greatness. Only in a Noble republic is one free because one ought to be free. Your greatness is not dependant on wealth or the smallness of the realm; it is granted to you by right. Only within Florence is a family both free and secure and are many soon-to-be unions and vassals will arrest to that.

For we are the true inheritors of Europe. We are only a city but so was Athens and Rome! We shall extend our lines, conquer the papacy and unite Italy. Our proximity to so many different peoples could be seen as a weakness; I see it as abundant opportunity. We will not let Aragon rest on it's laurels and think it is master of the Med. Nor will we allow Venice to out-trade us or the moslem to spread their heathen ways. We do not need the protection of the Emperor and sadly for them, our foes to the south benefit from no such protection either. Illegal land, ha! We will carve out our empire in foreign or domestic lands, it matters not. All that matters is that we, the Noble Florentine Republic, shall spread the flame of the human spirit across the globe! :mad:

OR RATHER DON'T, AS IT DOSEN'T EXIST.

Remember how I said I was use to playing with D&T loaded? It would appear Florence isn't an option in EU 3 DW 5.2, ever. However, mechanically Tuscany and Florence are the same nation. So any votes for Florence will be transferred to Tuscany.

Last edited: