Welcome to BloodCarnage!... a Dwarf Fortress succession game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blue emu

GroFAZ
8 Badges
Mar 13, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
From the journal of Blue Emu FireLashes - 1st Granite, Year 137.

Armok's blood! What a Gods-forsaken dump!

This time we've been screwed over properly. This must be the coldest, nastiest hell-hole I've ever heard of, let alone seen. Thank Armok we've got plenty of booze... this place is no fit sight for a sober Dwarf. It's a fiery, frozen, monster-infested death-trap, tightly wedged in the puckered sphincter of the Northern wastelands. We managed to dodge the Sasquatches that spotted us coming in, thanks to the drifting smoke from the Volcano... but I can hear what sounds like Dire Wolves howling across the valley; and according to that crazy hermit we passed two days ago, our nearest neighbor is a Gods-damned NECROMANCER!

I was talking to the lads on the way here, and it looks like those cookie-pushers back at Mountainhome managed to unload some of the most useless Dwarves in the clan on me... half of these chuckle-heads have no skills at all!

We'll fix THAT soon enough! If nothing else, they'll soon learn how to dig! We've got to get ourselves sealed underground before we freeze to death or get eaten by some bloody were-Sasquatch or torn apart by a pack of zombie Dire Wolves.

I'll write a bit more once we're safely underground...

=========== =========== ============== ============= =============

Who wants to be Dwarfed? Who wants a turn as Overseer?

=========== =========== ============== ============= =============

Current or former (Red = deceased) Dwarves - skills higher than Dabbling are listed:

Blue Emu Firelashes - Mechanic/Diagnostician/Leader/Social skills - Overseer
Noco RythymRopes - Teacher/Axe-Dwarf/Shield/Lumberjack/Carpenter - Drill Instructor
Tonkatoy Firstarrows - Teacher/Marks-Dwarf/Armor/Miner - Drill Instructor
GaiusC CraftsGlade - Miner
Von_Rundstedt CityMyths - Miner
Lord Strange Fedlance - Brewer/Cook/Herbalist/Armorsmith
Connall CleanBridge - Grower/Weaponsmith
Aedan ChanneledStockade - Mace-Dwarf/Shield/Armor/Dodger/Butcher
Deaghaidh - Butcher/Miller/Milker/Herbalist - assigned as Bookkeeper
MadImmortalMan CraftOil - Diagnostician/Wound Dresser - assigned as Chief Medical Dwarf
Tapscott Oceandoor - Child, turns Adult next year - peasant
Polar Mongoose - Polar Mongoose BrassTribute - Fisherman/Fish Cleaner/Fish Dissector/Herbalist - assigned Blacksmith
Sneaky Pete GoldenPractice - Fisherman/Fish Cleaner/Fish Dissector - assigned as Lumberjack
Capt Kiwi CrimsonGorge - Marks-Dwarf/Archer/Dodger/Ambusher/Fisher Dwarf/Animal Caretaker/Animal Dissector
Stamasd Matchedpages - Speardwarf/Armor/Shield/Dodge/Beekeeper/Presser/Miller
Randarkar Wonderwhip - Furnace Operator - assigned as Smith
Culise CityHailede - Trapper / Engraver
Son of Liberty WheelSoaks - Stonecrafter / Leatherworker / Bonecarver
Stuckenschmidt OrbClouted - Glazer
King50000 NotchSmiths - Wax Worker
misiame FedGate - Siege Engineer
TheLoneGunman WhippedThins - SwordsDwarf / Armor / Shield / Dodge
brovahkiin OilMoistness - Brewer / Spinner / Dyer
the_HDK WhipWhiskers - Mason / Engraver / Potash Maker
Matth34 TowerTrussed - MarksDwarf / Animal Trainer, Caretaker and Dissector
PlankOfWood WatchedGuilds - MarksDwarf / Dodger / Ambusher / Archer
Adamus Craftslabored - Fishing / Fish Cleaning / Fish Dissection
tamius23 TheatreHazy - Thresher / Shearer / Presser
AsdfeZxcas BookCrew - Miller / Shearer / Presser
MadBadger SoakedLabor - Brewer / Milker / Presser
Tuominen Claspbreach - Shearer / Presser / Spinner

Waiting list for Dwarves:

Waiting list for Overseers:

Polar Mongoose

Last edited:
Any favored class?

We've got an Overseer (but that's me), two Drill Instructors (one Teacher/AxeDwarf/ShieldDwarf and one Teacher/MarksDwarf/ArmorUser), one Grower/Weaponsmith, one Brewer/Cook/Armorsmith... and two totally unskilled Peasants who are about to learn how to dig.

Dwarf me please, anything, even a yak :D

Noco19 is now a Drill Instructor. You are currently using your Axe to fell some trees, some for building material and others to be roasted into charcoal for our future Steel industry.

GaiusC is now a zero-skill Peasant... but I've just handed you a Pick and set you to work digging us in. This is the single most vital task ahead of us, so start swinging that Pick! It's a three-way race between your digging ability, frostbite, and Sasquatch bites!

"Work work!"

(ok, that's not a dwarf speaking, originally...)

I'll take the cook/ brewer

I'll take the cook/ brewer

Lord Strange is now a Cook/Brewer/Armorsmith.

My usual practice is to make sure that all of my Dwarves start with a Moodable skill. Neither Planter nor Brewer/Cook is moodable, so I assign one of them one level of Weaponsmith and the other one level of Armorsmith. That way, if either of them gets a Fey Mood, I end up with a Legendary Weaponsmith or Armorsmith instead of a Legendary Bone-Carver or Wood-Carver (which are the non-Moodable defaults).

Brewing beer, frying bacon and making mail shirts sounds like what I was made to be.

Edit: Nooooooooo!

Too late! Pick again.

I'll take the other teacher/drill instructor

I'll be the grower/weaponsmith.

Edit: Or not. Ah well

Tonkatoy5 is now a Drill Instructor (Teacher/MarksDwarf/ArmorUser).

von_Rundstedt is now a zero-skill Peasant (but soon to be a skilled Miner)

Falc is now Connall the Grower

... and that's all seven.

aedan777 is first in line for an immigrant Dwarf. We typically get two small groups of immigrants in the first year... if they can evade the uglies on the way to the fortress, of course.

Add me as a disposable immigrant. I'm sure I'll be a cheese maker or something equally use full.

Priorities:

In a typical game, priority #1 is to get your farm up and running, so that your Dwarves won't starve and will have some plants to brew into booze.

This is NOT going to be a typical DF game!

Priority #1: Dig ourselves in! We are in danger from the cold, from the insanely dangerous local wildlife, and from that Necromancer whose tower is only a few tiles off-map. Also, we MUST move our stuff underground where we can protect it.

Priority #2: Build some defenses! A lever-controlled drawbridge to seal the entrance of our tunnel, plus a few lines of traps out beyond the drawbridge... otherwise, we'll be afraid to open the door! At the moment, cage-traps are about the only ones we have the ability to make. By next year, I hope to be making weapon traps as well.

Priority #3: Get the farm up and running before we run out of Booze... there just ISN'T anything else to drink; there's no liquid water on the entire map until we can breach the Caverns down underground, and Armok only knows what's living down in the Caverns.

Priority #4: Hollow out some space and move our stockpiles underground. If some bastard steals our Booze while it's sitting out in the open, we'll all die of thirst; there's literally NOTHING else to drink.

Priority #5: Slaughter our two Water Buffalo (who pulled our wagon here) before they starve to death... it's freezing out there, all the grass is buried under the snow, and there's NOTHING for them to eat! Besides... if we slaughter them, that extends our provisions. Water Buffalo... mmm-mmm, tasty!

Priority #6: All the other stuff that you usually do right away, if your Dwarves aren't living on the edge of disaster (like WE are).

Soon. First we need a defensible position (priorities #1 and #2). Then we need to make sure we don't die of thirst (priorities #3, #4 and #5).

THEN we start digging towards the volcano. I wonder if we can MINE some of that ice (in the frozen ponds), carry it inside, and use the volcanic heat to melt it into water? We'll need to make sure that it doesn't just melt and drip onto the floor as soon as we get it inside...