• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mcganyol

Captain
27 Badges
Sep 3, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
suez canal is a strait (ships in the canal block the passing of land units), however on the map it shows as a simple river crossing. I think it's only a gfx bug as it is more logical for Suez to be a strait.
Plz pang if it's possible correct this map-gfx error in 1.09.

Upvote 0
I donnot think it is a bug, it is a feature. The suez canal ist not bigger than many rivers on the map. Suez by the way is not the only example of something that might be considered a strait but is implimented as a river. There is are about a dozen cases.

you misunderstood me it is implemented as a strait but on the map it is shown as a river crossing (if you examine the adjacent province connection's info in the top left corner, where ic, manpower... etc is displayed). The bug is that the display and implementation is not coherent. idc much if it is a strait or river, just let the player know in advance by examining the map.

you misunderstood me it is implemented as a strait but on the map it is shown as a river crossing (if you examine the adjacent province connection's info in the top left corner, where ic, manpower... etc is displayed). The bug is that the display and implementation is not coherent. idc much if it is a strait or river, just let the player know in advance by examining the map.

For land movement (& combat) the Canal is a river so that the defender gets the usual defensive bonus. For naval movement the Canal is treated as a strait so enemy forces can't use it. Sadly, the vanilla map is way off portraying the area correctly.

Well probably my english is too bad for this but you are wrong Fürstbischof. It is not treated as a river for crossing troops.
Lets assume the province suez is in uk hands, port said (the other side) is in italy's. put an italian infantry on the move from port said to suez. on the map it seems a simple river crossing. so far so good. now put an english destroyer to suez canal. tadam! the infantry movement is blocked.
It should be described on the info pane like Coppenhagen - Malmö and in the description "The connection between port Said and Suez includes a narrow body of open water. Hostile fleets in the Suez canal will block movement."

Suez - Suez canal - port Said works in game terms EXACTLY as Coppenhagen - Öresund - Malmö. However on the map between Suez and port Said it shows incorrectly just a river crossing like Berlin - Küstrin.
I have no problem with either but it should be implemented as described or described as implemented. This is currently misleading and not coherent. This is a bug.

I can't describe it any better, plz try to understand.

Both Mcganyol and Fürstbischof are correct.

Suez is treated as a river crossing...

...and a strait.

Since I am playing as the UK I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was also a strait (I did not know it was prior to his attack), but I cannot imagine the frustration Mcganyol (as Germany) has experienced by finding out the hard way.

I agree with him that the gfx should be 'corrected', IMO it is more important to know that the Port Said-Suez connection is a strait than a river crossing.

First pic shows the current aod map and the second pic shows how it should look like (because it is implemented like that)
current.jpgshouldbe.jpg