• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should try and bait the Gibraltar garrison to attack like they did in your lone tank division and snatch the port with the other one. Other than that, surrounding by infantry and some heavy bombing while your fleet is also parked in an adjacent box should do the trick.

reduce that rock to ashes! :D

I typically bomb it non-stop for a week, then use infantry and mountain divisions with attached assault brigades and tanks to attack it in waves. Once troops tire, I rotate them out. Keep an eye on your stacking penalties and don't over-commit troops to the point where your reserves begin to add stacking penalties. Basically, a WW1-style frontal assault is the only way to take a heavily fortified mountain position defended by garrison troops. I normally do this without naval support, so if you can park your battleships next to Gibraltar you can severely hamper the British ability to fire back at your troops. The Ast. brigades are key to winning with few losses, as they are meant to be used in this exact type of situation.

At the moment I don't have any assault brigades as I've not imagined that situation where I will be attacking some heavily fortified positions and this is only place in this game where they would be useful. To be honest I've underestimated British defenses in Gibraltar as in my test game it fell pretty quickly.

I have 4 wings of medium bombers ready to bomb the living sh*t out defenders before assaults will begin.
Is there any way to tell the game there should be one bombing at the time? Because when I order multiple wings to perform bombing at one place they usually end bombing it together which results in stacking penalties. I would like to have 2nd bombing start exactly when 1st ends and vice versa.

At the moment I don't have any assault brigades as I've not imagined that situation where I will be attacking some heavily fortified positions and this is only place in this game where they would be useful. To be honest I've underestimated British defenses in Gibraltar as in my test game it fell pretty quickly.

I have 4 wings of medium bombers ready to bomb the living sh*t out defenders before assaults will begin.
Is there any way to tell the game there should be one bombing at the time? Because when I order multiple wings to perform bombing at one place they usually end bombing it together which results in stacking penalties. I would like to have 2nd bombing start exactly when 1st ends and vice versa.

You can set times and dates in bombing missions. Its this or have one group bomb as long as it gets damaged?

I normally order one wing to bomb at day and one wing (with the night flyer skill) to bomb at night, that should do the trick.
And, just what Brom said - rotating your tired units (when they get below 30-40% Org) is key (plus watching out for your stacking penalty).

Seriously, TEN garrison divisions? That's a different approach from the British AI. Their build plan assumes they will leave their garrisons at home and send their combat divisions... perhaps they've done the opposite! And good luck with the assault on Gibraltar because those garrisons have probably got support brigades and hence piercing.

I normally order one wing to bomb at day and one wing (with the night flyer skill) to bomb at night, that should do the trick.
And, just what Brom said - rotating your tired units (when they get below 30-40% Org) is key (plus watching out for your stacking penalty).

I have total of 4 medium bomber units of which 2 will be stationed for repairs and organization regain. Thanks for the tip with day and night missions.

Seriously, TEN garrison divisions? That's a different approach from the British AI. Their build plan assumes they will leave their garrisons at home and send their combat divisions... perhaps they've done the opposite! And good luck with the assault on Gibraltar because those garrisons have probably got support brigades and hence piercing.

Yes they have support brigades and they counter my biggest advantage in Spain - lack of armor piercing. Many of initial battles in Spain has been won with 1:7 causalities ratio (and some with even higher).

As for the bombers rotating; it isn't usualy a problem to do all-day bombings performed by two groups (only if they are protected, of course!).

Send in the first group, and as soon as they finish bombing it and start returning to base, other the other group to attack. That way, one group bombs while the other resupplies on the airfield. Day & night bombing does the same trick but somewhat less efficiently, as I can imagine "day" planes to be grounded before they barely flew out on the bombing raid, because it's "night" already.

one way or another, more britsh corpses floating in the Med

As for the bombers rotating; it isn't usualy a problem to do all-day bombings performed by two groups (only if they are protected, of course!).

Send in the first group, and as soon as they finish bombing it and start returning to base, other the other group to attack. That way, one group bombs while the other resupplies on the airfield. Day & night bombing does the same trick but somewhat less efficiently, as I can imagine "day" planes to be grounded before they barely flew out on the bombing raid, because it's "night" already.

You are right, but if your bombers get caught in a dog fight or rest a little longer to re-org, the rotation is no longer synchron.
That's why I'd stick with the night/day rotation.

a1fEbNf.jpg

nPJe5rz.jpg

You might puppet Switzerland, since they have a decently sized army, which might help you further on. As for Sweden, you might be comfortable with a few amphibious landings :)

Annex Swiss and go for the Grossdeutschland!

11. Unternehmen Tannenbaum, Unternehmen Nibelung

Hello, as you've seen yesterday when I posted plans for attack on Switzerland and Sweden this update will be mainly focused on Switzerland and Sweden. - Oh, you don't say.

First I would like to describe my battle plans a bit. Attack on Switzerland is relatively simple. Tanks will attack from the west on Bern and infantry will push on Zürich from east. And as Ikarases suggested I will use puppet wargoal as there's not too much to gain by conquest of Switzerland.
I am expected Switzerland to fall between 3 and 4 weeks.

Unternehmen Nibelung, plan of attack on Sweden, will be a bit complicated. Key to operation Nibelung is securing Malmö and rapid tank movement on the mostly plains coastline while infantry will push from Norway. I've forgot to add an arrow for amphibious landing in Stockholm after my marines secure Malmö.
Expected duration of Unternehmen Nibelung is 2 weeks.

Few words for notation of my battle plans, I will try to to use discontinuous arrows for tank movement and continuous ones for infantry movement.

7xpKGPU.jpg

Allied presence in middle East has been obliterated. With Suez secured Italians can ship supplies to Ethiopia.

PLyu9NV.jpg

This is what German soldiers will be facing during their attempt to take Gibraltar.

XWMUy2u.jpg

Shortly after securing middle East Italy joins war and declares war on Greece. I am hoping that Italian Regia Marina will prove useful in hunting Royal Navy in Mediterranean.

VHzAnsf.jpg

Attack in Gibraltar has begun with full support of Kriegsmarine it seems German victory is just matter of time. Bombing runs on Gibraltar are running for more than 2 weeks and will continue during attack.

cpROfMt.jpg

However this was unexpected. 2nd Kriegsmarine is attacked by nearly whole Royal navy and forced to retreat to Cadiz. British seize the opportunity and launch an amphibious invasion.

JZx1qUE.jpg

With Finnish winter war over Soviets decided to expand their territory and claims Bessarabia, Romanians agree. At this point of game Romania is dangerously close to allies camp (I wasn't influencing them at all and they weren't drifting) while in Vanilla they join Axis pretty straightforward.

XTGoGB9.jpg

Looks like UK is trying really hard to not to loose Gibraltar, German soldiers are forced to stop attack on Gibraltar by this attack. However I am pretty sure British counter-attack will be crushed due to concentration of my forces there.

yBAfQ4n.jpg

I didn't know there's such thing in HPP. If you remember from previous chapters Soviets have declined my proposal to modify Molotov-Ribbentrop pact in historical way and I've noticed that I have option to deliver ultimatum to Lithuania. This brings me to completely different borders with Soviet Union than I am used to.

wuxdXmN.jpg

War on Sweden and Switzerland is declared. Sweden will be conquered and Switzerland will be puppeted.

x0iYl7b.jpg

German tanks are making quick progress through plains of north Switzerland. However progress in mountains is not so fast.

Dnizg6k.jpg

Another British attempt to rescue their defenders of Gibraltar from the trap it is. This attack is not so powerful to stop offensive on Gibraltar and is repelled with 3 reserve divisions.

05acj2V.jpg

Malmö is secured and German tanks are rolling over unprepared Swedish defenders. So far Swedish offensive is like walk in a park.

3GOrYSY.jpg

Nothing can illustrate Swedish level of preparation like attack on Stockholm, 2 divisions with little organization and strength.

fyeEGKO.jpg

Last screenshot of Sweden before it falls. Surrender score is now at 100%. Whole campaign in Sweden took 11 days.

fyeEGKO.jpg

German panzers arrive in Bern. Swiss look bit more prepared than Swedes but Unternehmen Tannenbaum is still one of easier offensives so far.

deOlOv4.jpg

Zürich is about to fall and whole Switzerland with it.

deOlOv4.jpg

SPvx4tc.jpg

Another futile British attempt to rescue defenders of Gibraltar.

8Sjw3YU.jpg

Finally that piece of rock falls and Mediterranean is sealed. Hunt for rest of Royal Navy in Med will begin soon as some of their supplies are consumed and my ships are bit more repaired.

CtuU1Cd.jpg

Take a look on glorious German Reich.

I can't think of any larger offensive in near future (till Barbarossa) and my navy is too damaged by battles for Gibraltar so I don't think Sea Lion is possible in next 2 months. I will probably spend time before Barbarossa by some island hopping in Mediterranean (Cyprus and Malta, Balearic Islands) and I will also take control of Tangeir and Canary islands.

I am open to suggestions where to strike - I was thinking about Oman and Yemen.

I think soldiers will be happy with the vacations around the Med

would irelnad be feasible?

I don't thinks so as Kriegsmarine is badly damaged and some naval supremacy will be needed for Ireland. I plan to gain Irelands allegiance by gaining them northern Ireland after See Lion

12. Unternehmen desert Fox

Hello, this update will be relatively short as I have a surprise prepared for you. Unternehmen desert Fox is plan for conquest of Yemen and Oman, two British puppets.

K2eEwcG.jpg

Soviet Union has decided to deliver their ultimatum to Latvia and Estonia. Both states accept the inevitable an joins Soviet Union as federalist republics.

CLkSLUz.jpg

Look! Italians being useful. I think this is due fact that supplies can flow through Suez and big part of Royal Navy is damaged or sunk. It seems they did good job in sinking remnants of Royal Navy in Mediterranean.

76NSLnU.jpg

First step of Unternehmen desert Fox is to secure Aden an immediately launch attack on San'a. San'a falls briefly and whole Yemen with it as San'a is only Yemen victory point. German troops immediately start march to Oman. This operation probably doesn't need any plan as its straightforward march towards Oman capital.

KwEAj1R.jpg

Meanwhile a coup has occurred in Yugoslavia. This kicks them out of Axis till order is restored and you have option to don't let them join Axis again which I don't use.

2LdXjbd.jpg

Did I say Italians are useful? Forget it, they are sitting like this for month. Staring at Greek army and Greek army is staring at them. One would say they play who blinks first game - who lasts longer without blinking takes Greece.

FnsSrGP.jpg

2nd Vienna award kicks in, I've decided it would be best for Germany to stay neutral as Romanian could prove useful in upcoming campaign in Soviet Union.

djgGfbD.jpg

Shortly after 2nd Vienna award right wing coup takes place in Romania and they join Axis as I've excepted.