• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, the reformation has found a determined and brutal foe in Milan. Excellent updates, I really enjoyed seeing the enlarged Duchy taking on a more active role in the politics of the Empire, and rightly so.

@Volksmarschall: As far as the translation, I was using Google Translator (horrible i know) to convert the English name I made up into Latin to make it sound more formal :) But changing the order of the words does make sense. As far as the update, Karel did come out on the wrong end, which will only provoke the Emperor and the Protestants even more. But this was just the opening of Milan's religious unrest.

@ScribleScrable: Thank you! And there shall be more brutal brutal and bloody war in the near future.

@Seelmeister: A very brutal foe indeed, but whether that brutality will pay off we have yet to see. It is about time Milan dips its toes in HRE politics though, kind of wish I had the ability to just pay Austria to DoW Bohemia so we could get Emperor Jiri out of here.

@Derahan: I promised some religious wars a while back ;) And finally delivered on them! Anyway about the Supremacy of the Pope (and not wanting to add any spoilers), but lets just say certain events occur that will make accepting his "ecclesiastical supremacy" easier to swallow.

My first time commenting on an other great tnick AAR (I think there's some sort of pattern here), but I've followed your Milanese antics for a while and decided to comment as it seems the story of Milan is entering a turning point.

I suppose Giovanni's initial disgust at persecuting protestants went right out of the window after they started attacking his private property. Not that I'm deploring that, double standards are quite common with people and I find them quite an interesting part of human psychology.

Anyway, hopefully Lamberti can advise the Sforza on how to turn their fortunes around because they are still in a bit of an awkward situation with France and Austria without Bohemia getting involved: kinda like a teenage girl that's been having an on-off relation ship with two guys at once in rapid succession and then decided to make some choices that are considered selfish really unpopular on campus causing both of the boys to not speak to her anymore and the fact that her body is developing much more rapidly when compared to the rest of her female classmates causes the boys to be confused around her and her classmates become jealous and alienate her, and then having a guy in her class becoming really radical trying to push his ideals down her throat and she becomes really overwhelmed with all that's happening during that very confusing passage from child to adult and she keeps bursting in tears at the slightest of provocation and then she...

OK, I'm just gonna stop, I think you get the picture. :)

Last edited:
I realize I said "Enlightenment" in my previous post when inquiring about Latin translations. I meant to say "Enlightened".

I greatly despise google translator or other online translating/transliterating sites; mostly because I know they are always always always wrong. Which partly explains why outside of my language knowledge, I tend to avoid all attempts of reading or translating! :p Just makes life easier.

@TheDeaconBosco: Glad to hear you are enjoying this one as well! And we are definitely reaching a turning point.

As far as persecuting the Protestants, Giovanni didn't mind so much at first especially during the Sweating Sickness in Milan. But he changed his mind due to Archbishop Ippolito's failures. But you are right the fact that they're threatening his possessions definitely awoke a deep anger in him. A rage that is much like those his father Galeazzo Maria used to have.

As to your teenage girl scenario (which made me LMAO!) you are pretty much right. Milan in my mind at this point is in its adolescence so to speak. But its more like three boys since Castille is the quiet one that likes her but is too afraid to put up much of a fight, because he lives on the other side of town. And Urbino is her best friend, that is starting to get annoyed and jealous at her popularity. But, decision making time is around the corner one of the suitors may come back around very soon. The next chapter is going to take a turn that I lightly hinted at in the Chapter prior to this one.

Before I forget about Lamberti. He's trying to keep Giovanni as close to a middle course as possible, mostly to keep the peace between him and Sforza Maria. Lamberti's real ambition is to stay in Sforza Maria's good graces, and increase his influence over the young man since Sforza Maria is the future.

@volksmarschall: I despise translators as well, but eh, it sounded good to me in Latin when I wrote it in, but now that I look back at it I may edit it out and refer to the English name instead lol. Regardless I'm probably going to go deeper into that order in a chapter or two since they're going to be involved in Milan for a while yet.

Chapter XLII - A Sforza Reunion

Chapter XLII - A Sforza Reunion​

Two weeks after ending Karel z Otradovic’s rebellion with the mass execution upon the walls of Mantua, news from southern Italy would arrive. News that the war between Urbino and Naples had finally come to a close, drawn out longer than it should have been due to Giovanni’s abandonment of the Montefeltro family, and the subsequent succession disaster that created friction within the Ducal Palace in Urbino. The peace that the new Duke Giulio da Montefeltro secured against Naples was harsh, and ultimately ended any question where power in Southern Italy lay. The Kingdom of Naples would cede the territories of Salento, Calabria, and Lucania to Giulio, diminishing the Kingdom to just the territories surrounding Naples itself, and that of Palermo. To add insult to injury, the King of Naples would also surrender all claims upon Abruzzi as well as paying reparations for the war.

2013-10-21_00078_zpsca5b26b7.jpg

Map of Southern Italy after the Neapolitan surrender to Urbino

Giovanni would take this news in stride. In fact he welcomed it, and even wrote to his cousin’s son the newly minted Duke Giulio a congratulatory letter. It was an attempt to soothe the young prince, whom by rights ruled most of the old Kingdom of Naples at this point. The letter would fall flat, and would not appease the young prince who was bitter, and blamed all things Sforza for the ill-fates that had befallen his house.

Rumors of the Duke of Urbino’s displeasure, and anger towards Giovanni didn’t bother him, however. There were more and ever more pressing concerns with to deal with as the year of 1518 began. Reports from Prague, for example, were proving to be ever more worrisome. Emperor Jiri was reportedly beyond angry with the treatment of Karel and the “peaceful practitioners of the Reformed Faith”. Lamberti proved to be vital in focusing Giovanni on matters of import during those first few months of the new year, lest the Duke get sidetracked by punishing the petulant duke to his south.

Giovanni was feeling great about those first few months, so much so he began thinking that he may be on the verge on securing Milan from external threats altogether. But, most of that was due to his recent thrashing and destruction of the Emperor’s crazed invasion plan. Lamberti, Moscati, and Sforza Maria, however were not so optimistic. They knew there was a storm brewing in the south once again, and festering of larger storm on the German side of the Alps, and various rumors from the court of King Louis XII Sforza in France circulated at a rapid pace. Some days it was said the French King hated Giovanni and other days it was said that Louis would seek an alliance eventually. Perhaps to Milan’s west lay it’s only true salvation from the impending storms that seemed intent upon encircling the lands of ancient Lombardy.

~~~~~​
Two men outside under the stars several miles outside of Prague in the summer of 1518, one was an agent of Demetrio Moscati, sent at the request of Milan’s council. The other was the younger brother of the Emperor Jiri, named Prince Premysl Otakar. It was a meeting of high importance. They stood there in silence for a bit staring up at the heavens taking note of a comet that was lighting the stars up.

“So Milan, they know of my brother’s radical ambitions?” Premysl asked.

“Yes,” Moscati’s agent answered.

“I’m surprised none of the other German Princes have taken up cause against his radical embrace of the Protestants,” he mused.

“You also proclaim to be a Protestent,” the agent observed. “How do we know you are not just as fervent in your beliefs?”

Premysl stood silently for a moment, and then answered, “I did it out of political expediency. Do you think I would defend a faith that is splintering? One that would cost me my inheritance and at worse my life?”

The agent remained silent, ignoring the question that truly had no answer. It was already believed that Premysl had no true religious allegiance. He was more of a realist, a pragmatist, and only believed in things he could touch and see. Surely, Premysl, would not go on such a mission as his brother Jiri had embarked upon.

“Tell me, what is it that your masters wish?” Premysl asked.

“They wish a regime change, in the Reich,” the agent answered. “Duke Giovanni will do anything in his power to prevent Protestantism from gaining a hold in Milan. And he hopes the future Emperor will respect his wishes.”

“Ahhh,” the heir sighed, “He wishes for tolerance, yet gives none to his own people?”

The agent bristled at that, “Surely no man should tell another what to do inside his own house, my lord.”

Premysl smiled, “Very true, some would say Milan merely lives within a room of our house though renting it from us. But no matter, my good shadowy friend, I agree with your master’s feelings about Jiri. He must go, and the sooner the better.”

The agent turned to the Prince, and nodded his acknowledgement, “The Empire will surely be better off in your hands.”

“Yes,” Premysl looked up into the heavens yet again feeling that his time was nearing. His time to sit upon the lofty Imperial Throne, he wondered what kind of a ruler he would be. Hopefully magnanimous, he thought, but this was all considering the fact that this would be assassin or whoever he was would actually perform his duties without being caught. If he was caught, Premysl knew full well he would lose his head almost immediately after.

The two left the field going their own separate ways. One off to return to his business as the Prince of Bohemia, and heir to the Empire, and the other off to report to whoever it was that would report to Demetrio Moscati. The wheel had been set in motion, the only question that was left, is when the hammer would fall.

~~~~~​
Lamberti and Sforza Maria stood outside atop the Castle walls watching the comet overhead. The sighting of it had caused a bit of a stir amongst the local populace. Superstitions running rampant, some claiming the end was near. It also had the misfortune of appearing in the night sky long before the memory of the massacre of Mantua could be put behind people. The rift in the Church was growing increasingly wider and the people were growing more and more prone to follow radical friars preaching apocalyptic passages and how the end was approaching.

2013-10-21_00084_zps6401f722.jpg

Lamberti, however, much like most of the other learned men, took it as something a little different. A change was in the air, a drastic change at that. The comet to him was far from a foreboding sign, rather a sign of coming greatness in the likes of one Sforza Maria.

“The French are coming, Sforza,” Lamberti said quietly. “Supposedly King Louis XII himself, come to speak with his Milanese cousins.”

This shocked Sforza Maria, Lamberti had said nothing of the kind during the council session earlier in the day. Instead it had been all about the latest rumblings from Urbino. Not that the rumblings from Urbino did not warrant deep and lengthy discussion, for Duke Giulio had recently severed the long-standing alliance with Milan recently and had even sent an emissary to accuse Sforza Maria’s father orchestrating the deaths of his brother Francesco and Duke Francesco. The accusation had been taken as an insult by the entire court of Milan and whispers for a war to put the young prince in his rightful place began to pick up with fervor.

2013-10-21_00079_zps826b68cb.jpg

“So to our north Emperor Jiri plots our downfall, to our south Giulio promises war and destruction, and to our west France marches upon us?” Sforza Maria mused while looking at the majestic tail of the comet.

Lamberti nodded, “I don’t think Louis XII has an invasion in store for us, however.”

“Then tell me, Lamberti, what do you think his intent is?” Sforza Maria asked.

“I think he is happy that our alliance with the Montefeltros has come to an end. His family through Yolande de Valois has ancient claims to the Kingdom of Naples, and therefore he does as well, more claim than that of the Montefeltros anyway.”

“You did say France would look favorably upon us for turning away from them.” Sforza Maria had a hard time thinking his relatives upon the French throne may actually be willing to once again join in league with Milan. Throughout most of his life, Milan had to walk quietly knowing that France was there waiting to pounce and lay claim to the duchy.

“Even if that isn’t his intent it would be well advised for your father to explore that opportunity,” Lamberti urged.

“When will Louis arrive?”

“By October at the latest.”

Sforza Maria nodded and the two continued to talk about how fortunate a new French alliance would be, and how it would solidify Milan’s future now that Urbino was a threat, and a rival. Just a few years before, word of Louis XII marching towards Milan would have struck fear into anyone in Milan. It was remarkable how drastically things had begun to change just in the past several years. But whether it was a change for the good or not was yet to be seen.

~~~~~
Sforza-deValoisFrenchRoyalBanner_zps14d163a9.jpg

French Royal Banner of King Louis XII Sforza

The first week of October had come; the French had entered Milan to much fanfare. Trumpets and royal banners of the French Sforza’s had lined the avenues of the city on its way to the square outside the main Cathedral in Milan. The fanfare was grand, but there was still an undertone of trepidation. The people were unsure of whether this was a sign of Milan’s fall or that of its rise. After the grand entrance the King and his high ranking nobles were quartered in the Palazzo Reale di Milano, opposite the square from the Cathedral. The Royal Palace had at one time housed the Dukes of Milan and their families, but had been left vacant by the Sforza’s as they had taken up residence in the Castello during Duke Franceco’s reign.

31268518402px-louis-xii-a-genes-jpg.jpg

Louis XII Sforza entering Milan - Jean Bourdichon

A week after their entrance, Louis XII would have an audience with Duke Giovanni to discuss the meaning of his visit.

“Cousin,” Giovanni Maria said when they were alone in the Duke’s private study. “Word of your coming had us all on edge.”

Louis XII smiled, “I was advised that you may act cautiously and even attack us, so I brought a number of soldiers just in case. I mean no ill-will, your grace.”

Giovanni sighed, that much was obvious due to the fact that no blood had yet been shed. “Your father, Nicolas Henri, had been rather difficult to deal with in the past, and your councilors have never been very kind to us humble lords of Milan. But the descendants of Bosio and Yolande have brought much pride to the House of Sforza, you are and will always be a true guest here in Milan.”

Louis nodded wanting to get down to business more than anything, “You stand on the brink of war with the Habsburgs, the Emperor, and now the Montefeltros. Many of your enemies are our enemies. And with this Reformation as they are calling it sweeping into your lands, sponsored by the Emperor, I think it is time for us to once more join hands against our enemies.”

2013-10-21_00085_zpsea436449.jpg

It was Giovanni’s turn to smile, a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. France was coming to Milan’s aid at long last. “Why did you at first refuse the creation of our proposed Catholic League?”

“Do you think my councilors and the nobles of France would have been pleased at jumping into bed with the Habsburgs and Castille?” Louis snorted. “I would have lost the throne had I done that.”

“True,” Giovanni answered. “So if we are to join in an alliance what should our terms be?”

“That we go to war with the Montefeltro’s immediately,” Louis answered quickly. “They’re taking of Neapolitan land cannot be tolerated any further. They also prove a threat to Milan’s subjugation of the peninsula, and therefore must be brought to heel as I’m sure you already realize considering Giulio’s impertinence towards you.”

War with Urbino so suddenly was not an answer that Giovanni had expected. In a way he was wary of such a thing. What was his French cousin really after? He found himself wondering over the intervening moments. The Duke did realize he needed to show Duke Giulio da Montefeltro the might of Milanese arms considering the insult the man had sent months ago. In fact, not taking action considering the urging and support of France would be viewed as a great weakness.

“Will you be joining us in this war?” Giovanni asked.

“My men are already assembled and ready, my Generals inform me we could be in Urbino by Spring,” Louis answered, happy that his proposal seemed to be accepted by his cousin the Duke of Milan.

“Then let us celebrate this new alliance,” Giovanni said as the two rulers embraced as family for the first time ever. “Let us celebrate the reunion of our families, and the creation of an order that will give the rest of Europe pause.”

The meeting ended then, and orders were sent out to prepare a feast, and Captain Testi was sent orders to prepare the Armata di Lombardia once again for war. The next couple of months, Giovanni would host Louis in Milan, as the two grew closer and closer, a friendship of sorts was bonded by the two men as they plotted and planned their attack against the Montefeltros and that of the Emperor Jiri. It was not a Catholic League that Giovanni had originally wished to forge, but it was close enough, close enough to make him feel secure once more in Milan. Secure enough to be willing to declare war upon anyone that stood in his family’s way.

Last edited:
Things seem to be going well for our Sforzas – save the religious disunity. Religious conflict does always provide an interesting dynamic in the game, though, so I'm quite glad of it. With France backing you, I don't imagine it will be long before the whole peninsula falls under your aegis. Looking forward to seeing what your next moves prove to be. :)

A very interesting development! With French support, a significant victory over Urbino could be on the cards. One punitive peace could conceivably reduce the uppity Kingdom to something more akin to the OPM that it started out as - making vassalization a tantalising possibility...

Chapter XLIII - The Order of Reformed and Enlightened Religion

@Derahan: It is about time! I had been spending the entire time up until now wondering what the point was of having a dynasty member on another throne if all they do is warn you and threaten you the entire time. So the fact that the BBB finally came around and is going to help out is a very welcome sign indeed.

@DensleyBlair: Things are definitely looking much brighter for us, especially with the advent of the French alliance. Unifying the entire peninsula though that will probably take a while. North and Central Italy being unified is definitely within reach, especially since a large chunk of it are our vassals. And there shall be more religious conflict! I tried my hand at making my own version of the French-Sforza's arms, like you suggested a while back, haven't decided if I like how I made it though.

@Seelmeister: A large victory over Urbino could definitely make vassalization a possibility in the future. It would also have the added benefit of making them watch Naples a bit more closely, meaning they won't look North to Milan or my vassal Pisa anytime soon, which is really the main thing I'm trying to prevent.

~~~~~
Chapter XLIII - The Order of Reformed and Enlightened Religion

Emperor Jiri of the Holy Roman Empire, King of Bohemia, sat in a chamber alongside his brother Premysl Otakar, and leaders of the Reformation, all members of the Order. So far they’re meeting was to discuss furthering their righteous cause of separating the Empire from that of the Pope in Bologna. They welcomed the news of Brandenburg kneeling to the Protestant teachings after Luneburg’s invasion. At the same time they were aghast at the horrors of the fate that had befallen one of their own, Karel z Otradovic.

All in attendance whispered in hushed tones, as the atrocities in Mantua were read aloud for all to hear. The pastors, learned men who railed against the Catholic Church, squirmed in their seats as they heard of the thousand that were hung from Mantua’s wall before Karel was burned at the stake. Even the Emperor showed signs of being mildly perturbed by the reports. Yet, his younger brother, Premysl took it all in stride; he knew that this was the price that would be paid for intervening in sovereign member states without a true invasion.

“Duke Giovanni Sforza’s crimes cannot go unpunished,” Emperor Jiri stated after the report was concluded.

“And what do you plan to do about his crimes?” Premysl Otakar asked his older brother. It was not like the Emperor could revoke the Imperial investiture of Milan from Giovanni, as the Sforza’s had never secured it, rather they ruled via the assent of Milan’s senate. The successors of Francesco Sforza had never seemed all that keen upon being granted Imperial investiture; instead they acted more as if the Empire did not exist in anyway. Therefore had no need for such an affirmation of the right-to-rule in Milan.

“Strip him of his land and titles, force him to release the principalities he and his forebears have stolen,” Jiri responded, more for the learned men that were attendance rather than for his brother. He knew that stripping Sforza of his possessions via an Imperial edict was not going to happen. The Sforza would laugh at it, and rip the flimsy parchment the order was written upon to shreds. “I would be willing to forgive our wayward Duke of Milan of his transgressions if one of you here in attendance would follow in the footsteps of our late Karel z Otradovic. Make the Duke realize his ways are full of sin, make him repent, and throw off the cloak of ignorance the Church of the Pope.”

Premysl Otakar groaned. His brother was clearly deranged if he thought sending yet more Bohemians and priests to start a rebellion in Milan was the answer to this problem. Not that he cared anyway; he was always more than happy when his brother Jiri failed in his endeavors. Nothing brought more joy to his heart than seeing the Emperor squirm at the heinous reports from Milan. Premysl even began to wonder what kind of punishment Giovanni would dish out to the unlucky soul that volunteered.

“Karel z Otradovic, was a grand friend of mine, your highness,” a priest stated as he stepped forward. “It would be an honor, a blessing truly, to follow in his footsteps to save the people of Milan from further blasphemy and idolatry.”

Premysl looked at the priest, a man he knew as Ludvic z Veleslavina. A man that was nowhere near the intellectual that Karel had been, nor was this Ludvic a charismatic man either. Failure was already in the wind with Ludvic’s volunteering, and it brought a smile to Premysl’s face.

“Ludvic, you have my blessing, this time I will send thousands of our own men with you.”

Premysl rolled his eyes, and tapped the table before speaking up, “Is this wise, brother? You’re sending more of our blood to die in a futile attempt, one whose end we already know. Milan will not bend its knees to rebels, and Giovanni will see his vengeance for such violations of his sovereignty.”

“Giovanni, is a rabid dog of whom is stuck in a corner surrounded by enemies, little brother,” Jiri sneered. “France hates him, Austria hates him, Urbino hates him. It’s only a matter of time before the Sforza dynasty comes to an end. And better from our hand than anyone else’s.”

Premysl shook his head. He hadn’t informed the Emperor of the recent news from Milan, that King Louis XII of France had renewed their alliance with Giovanni. “I have no stomach for watching you intelligent men act belligerently and against sound advice. I ask your highness, my gracious majesty, to excuse me from this humble meeting.”

“Granted,” Jiri grunted waving his hand in dismissal.

Premysl stood and bowed and left the chamber, making his way to his private apartments within the palace in Prague. Once in the confines of his study, his newly hired private secretary walked in, the man that he had met outside Prague on the night the comet had lit the night sky.

“Did you inform your brother of the news?” Moscati’s agent asked quietly after Premysl sat behind his desk.

“No,” he answered. “He still thinks the world is against the Sforza, perhaps one of his more astute priests will inform one of these days when his situation is beyond reparable.”

“So he doesn’t even know that Hungary is marching against us?” Shortly after the alliance with France was forged, King Louis of France called his brother-in-law the King of Hungary forward to attack Bohemia for the Emperor’s transgressions in Milan. Hungary responded positively to the French request and began mustering their troops for war, under cause to reconquer lands that Jiri and Premysl’s father had stolen from the Hungary years ago.

2013-10-21_00081_zps445bf75a.jpg

Premysl shook his head, “Once again, Micheletto, no, our gracious Imperial Majesty is ignorant of such things. He’s too busy thinking about breaking the princes of the Empire away from the Pope to care about such dire news.”

Micheletto smiled at this, things were moving ever closer to his time to strike. It was still too early to bury a blade in the Emperor’s back. He would wait until the populace began to clamor for change, which would surely come when the Wittelsbachs of Hungary enter Bohemian lands, and commence with the slaughter.

“Your brother will surely be surprised at how the world can change in a fortnight,” the agent mused.

“That he will, Micheletto that he will.”

~~~~~​
In January of 1519, Giovanni Sforza rode off with the Armata di Lombardia, to engage with the forces under the command of Giulio da Montefeltro. He had waited for a time thinking that King Louis would bring his men to Milan to rendezvous with the Armata, but no such thing ever happened. The promise of France to join in arms with Milan was an empty one. Lamberti had acknowledged the fact that Louis was dealing with some rebels in France at the moment and would surely march to aid in the war eventually. Giovanni, however, had his misgivings about Lamberti’s report.

The fact that the French were not present did not matter, however, for with the combined forces of Milan and her vassals of Modena and Pisa, she easily outnumbered her new-found rival. Giovanni was beyond determined to destroy the pride of Duke Giulio of Urbino, and weaken him so much that he would never be a threat to central and northern Italy ever again.

As Lamberti had said a month prior to the march to Florence where Giulio was currently laying siege, “Destroy the bulk of Urbino’s army, lord, use the peace to strengthen Naples once more, and when you are finished we will never have to worry about your cousins in Urbino ever again.”

It was sound advice from a man that was making a name for himself on the Council and even being granted an honorary seat in the Milanese Senate, a body of which mostly oversaw regulations of trade and finance. Lamberti had also proven to be a worthy coach of Giovanni’s son Sforza Maria, and to that extant Giovanni had come to respect the man even though in his heart he knew Lamberti held some lofty ambitions, perhaps as lofty as those that had been held by Leonardo di Saluzzo the late and disgraced Captain-General of Milan.

All these thoughts however, were of little importance, as the war was beginning, and Florence needed to be rescued. The Armata di Lombardia arrived outside Florence on February 2, 1519, and engaged the forces of Duke Giulio da Montefeltro outside the walls. The battle was a quick one, and the army Urbino easily routed, with few casualties on the Milanese side. Giovanni would give chase and smash a band of a 1,000 men that the Duke of Urbino mustered in Ancona, putting all one thousand to the sword a few weeks after the victory in Florence.

2013-10-21_00087_zpsb19367e3.jpg

With the Army of Urbino already bloodied, Giovanni marched his men to Rome, to begin laying siege to the Holy City, for sacking it would be a brutal humiliation to Duke Giulio. While sitting in camp outside Rome, Giovanni would sit and wait for the city to surrender, hoping to hear of news that King Louis of France was marching into the battlefields. No such good tidings would come, perhaps Lamberti’s report of peasant rebellions in France was honest, Giovanni would begin to believe. But no matter, he busied himself with walking the siege lines, watching as the cannon battered the Roman walls.

In December, Sforza Maria would meet him in camp, “Father, how goes the war?” he asked as he slid from his mount smiling in greeting.

Their relationship had warmed over the months, thanks in large part to Lamberti coaching Sforza. For a while Giovanni had been concerned that his son may one day slip a dagger in his back, but luckily they had become cordial once more. At least had a working relationship, not the loving father-son type that they had once shared prior to the war for Mantua.

“It goes well,” Giovanni answered as the two embraced. “Should you not be in Milan running the duchy? Making sure your brothers stay on task?”

“Matteo is in good hands, although Galeazzo is a handful,” Sforza said. Matteo was now 11 years old, and Galeazzo 9, the two were growing but their differences were growing more and more pronounced. Matteo was always a quiet lad, stuck in his books, whereas Galeazzo was always fighting and causing mischief around the castle.

Giovanni snorted, Galeazzo was always a topic of complaint amongst the household staff, “Any word from King Louis?”

Sforza Maria shook his head, “No, but Hungary is attacking Bohemia as we speak, and Provence has taken Nice from Savoy.”

Giovanni shrugged, “Minor details, of little importance.”

Sforza looked to the walls as a thunderous volley from the cannons roared. “Emperor Jiri has sent another preacher, this time to Treviso.”

2013-10-21_00092_zps1e6d629b.jpg

That grabbed Giovanni’s attention finally, “He would dare do that with the Hungarians bearing down upon Prague?”

“Apparently.”

“Why has Moscati’s agent not done the deed yet?” Giovanni sighed kicking at the earth. His frustration was growing, yet again at war, but facing his own rebellions far off in Treviso. “Jiri’s tyranny needs to come to an end!”

Sforza Maria simply nodded and said, “Moscati promises the deed will be done soon father, but to remain patient. Timing is everything.”

“Patience,” snorted the Duke of Milan. “Patience is a thing I’m running out of. Once we sack Rome, we will march back North to deal with these Bohemian rebels once again.”

The conversation more or less ended at that point, and the two went their separate ways. The next day word would come from the disgraced Archbishop Ippolito d’Este that Pope Innocent VIII had died after sitting upon St. Peter’s throne in Bologna for 3 years, and that the Curia had elected Pope Paul II as his successor. By mid-December, Rome surrendered to Giovanni and his Armata di Lombardia, allowing him to break camp and once more march North, to break yet another Protestant rebellion.

2013-10-21_00095_zps4552a662.jpg

Somehow I can help but draw a comparison between Fredrich II of HRE and Giovanni Sforza ;).

I had to google Fredrich II of the HRE to see why that would be...and now I do sort of see some parallels, just poor Giovanni isn't nearly as powerful. But his fingers of influence are growing.

Dang it Moscati! Just take Jiri out already!

I know right! Moscati's agent Michelletto is taking his dear sweet time! Hopefully he'll pull the trigger soon though.

~~~~~​

Editing this:

Avindian has extended the voting deadline for one more month, so that more votes are cast. Which I think is a fair decision, so if you have yet to cast a vote then go to the link below and vote for your four favorite AARs.

2014 Q1 ACAs

Last edited:
It must be nice to have conquered Rome in a great display of power and prestige on Milan's part.

And I still think better Latin translation would be "Reformed Order"! :p It's amazing to see Urbino still existing into the sixteenth century, since I rarely ever see Urbino make it past the 1470s or 1480s! Yet another wonderful update.

It must be nice to have conquered Rome in a great display of power and prestige on Milan's part.

It was indeed, although since it was the second time in Milanese history taking the city the significance was a lot less then when Francesco took it.

And I still think better Latin translation would be "Reformed Order"! :p It's amazing to see Urbino still existing into the sixteenth century, since I rarely ever see Urbino make it past the 1470s or 1480s! Yet another wonderful update.

You're probably right on that, but eh I'm just going to leave it as is :) I don't want to confuse myself in future updates. And Urbino's success is solely due to me, the Pope tried wiping them off the map shortly after I started but I was allied to them and well helped the Montefeltro's sack and annex Rome early on, which largely made Urbino a small power in its own right. From there they just lucked out as Naples continually found itself in compromising situations.

I will say I doubt Urbino will survive into the 17th Century after upsetting Giovanni and the rest of the Sforzas, unless of course they get chummy with the Habsburgs, or go Protestant to grab up a bunch of German allies.

Chapter XLIV - Humbling the Montefeltros

Chapter XLIV - Humbling the Montefeltros​

“The war is going good,” Gherardo d’Ivrea said as he, Duke Giovanni, and Marchese Farnese sat at the main table during the feast. “But, Giulio is trying to turn the tide.”

He was referring to the fact that the Army of Urbino had been reinforced during the long siege of Rome and had marched upon Florence. The siege of Florence had gone quickly as its walls hadn’t been fully repaired after Pisa’s conquest years ago. Urbino ended up sacking the former republic in a matter of months, and was now marching upon Modena, the land held by Farnese.

“We should meet Urbino’s forces in Modena before they take my lands as well,” Farnese replied, “My family is in danger, and if we fall, it will open a corridor that will lead straight to Milan.”

Giovanni tapped the table listening to his vassals complain about how unfortunate the fall of Florence had been, and what the repercussions of it could be. He was not as concerned, especially since the presence of the Bohemian led Protestants in Treviso had arisen once again. Regardless, if he didn’t do something to calm their nerves they would rise up for independence or worse.

“We should have never placed our trust in the French,” d’Ivrea growled.

“Where is King Louis, your grace?” Farnese inquired of Giovanni.

“King Louis, is dealing with his own issues,” mumbled Giovanni thinking about what could be done to please these two powerful leaders.

“Was this war not his idea? Did he not promise French support?” Farnese continued to drive on.

“He did indeed,” Giovanni answered.

“Louis wanted us to go to war to weaken our position in Italy so he could turn on us and sack Milan or himself,” d’Ivrea said as he slammed his cup down. “We should end this war with Giulio and return things to the status quo, and begin preparing for the French invasion.”

Giovanni shook his head, these men were too focused on Italy to realize the bigger picture. They also failed to realize that the insults Giulio had flung at him were to be punished, and punished harshly. “Surprising that you, dear Gherardo would petition to end a war that you claim is going well,” Giovanni finally countered. “Surprising indeed, that you would think I don’t have a plan.”

“Perhaps if your grace would enlighten us,” Gherardo said mockingly.

“We will march to Modena, and destroy Giulio’s army once again, then we will march to Treviso and send these Bohemian rabble rousers back to Prague. After which we will march back to Florence and retake your city.”

“What if France invades by then?” Farnese asked concerned.

“Louis will not invade,” Giovanni said confident. “If I promised Louis support in a war against Castille, and rebels began cropping up all over my lands I too would turn the Armata around to deal with them rather than waste our men on a foreign war, and thereby allowing the rebels to occupy the entire country. These things you lords are concerned of are minor trivialities that will be solved in due course. Or would you lords wish to bow to the Emperor and his heretical beliefs?”

Farnese and d’Ivrea remained silent for a time mulling the tongue lashing Giovanni had just dished out. “Your grace is wise,” Farnese said so quietly it was almost inaudible.

“Good,” Giovanni said taking d’Ivrea’s silence as consent to continue on. “After the new year we will march north to Modena. If you Gherardo, wish it you can take your forces and liberate Florence as you are so very concerned about Giulio’s occupation.”

“I will march alongside you my lord,” Gherardo said sullenly not wanting to upset his Sforza lord any more than he already had. “Let us go and destroy Giulio’s men, and then take care of these Protestants.”

~~~~~​
On January 20, 1520, the Armata di Lombardia would once again engage the forces of Duke Giulio da Montefeltro, this time outside of Modena. The battle would once again be a resounding victory for Giovanni and his vassals Farnese and d’Ivrea, as they would destroy half of Urbino’s forces, while losing only a minute amount of their own. The Armata would then set up camp in Modena and recover before striking off to Treviso to crush the Bohemian led revolt of Ludvik z Veleslavina.

2013-10-21_00097_zps0ab68ca0.jpg

By March the Armata would reach Treviso and engage the heretics, and win yet another victory. This time however the leader of the revolt would slip away, presumably running back to Prague instead of facing the cleansing fire of the stake.

2013-10-21_00098_zps17afa7ef.jpg

With the most recent threats destroyed, Giovanni would be informed that Urbino’s ally Aragon had landed 2,000 men in Parma under the leadership of Llorenc Bielsa. To which Giovanni would rally his men and vassals to engage with and utterly destroy. At this point in time, Aragon was but a skeleton of its former self. They had long since lost their sway over the Kings of Naples and lost all of their mainland possessions in Spain to Castille. At the current time Aragon was nothing more than the small poor islands of Mallorca and Menorca. Therefore, Urbino’s ally the once proud state of Aragon was no more powerful in fact even weaker than Giovanni’s vassal Modena.

With Aragon’s pitiful forces vanquished, the Armata di Lombardia marched on Florence, to liberate the city in the name of Gherardo d’Ivrea. The siege to recover the once fair city began in June of that year, and would progress throughout most of the summer.

While waiting outside in the Armata’s encampment Giovanni would be informed by Lamberti that many peasants, presumably the ones of heretical leanings were beginning to protest at their harsh treatment at the hands of their lords. They were growing sick of war, tired of the endless persecutions and purges. They were unhappy that their relatives in Verona and Treviso were executed and their lands stolen. It began to appear that the whole of Milan would soon erupt in outright rebellion.

2013-10-21_00100_zps8de7f255.jpg

Giovanni did the only thing he could think of. He couldn’t risk more rebellions while trying to deliver a just punishment for the slights of Giulio. So he informed Lamberti to take money out of the Milanese treasury to appease the peasants. Pay them for their losses and hope it would dispel their traitorous intents. By the 20th of August, the Urbino governor of occupied Florence would surrender the city to Marchese d’Ivrea and allow the Armata di Lombardia to march to the east and lay siege to Urbino itself.

~~~~~​
The Armata di Lombardia had been laying siege to Urbino for several months, when in December of 1520 more friction amongst the Milanese ranks made Giovanni decide it was time to offer terms of peace. Giulio opened his gates and welcomed the Duke of Milan and Marcheses of Modena and Pisa into the Ducal Palace of Urbino. It was a vast fortified complex that had been constructed during his grandfather Duke Federico III’s reign.

RTEmagicC_Urbino_-_Archivio_Citta_di_Urbino_Foto_di_Paolo_Minni__-_Copia_01.jpg.jpg

The terms of the peace were not beneficial per say to either side. Milan would gain nothing from the peace, no lands, save for a few ducats to return Rome back to the Montefeltro family. The real winner in the peace negotiations would be the King of Naples; as it was agreed that Giulio would return the lands of Lucania and Calabria to the Kingdom. Though this wasn’t directly beneficial to Giovanni and Milan, it did turn Naples back into a Kingdom that could sufficiently threaten the Duke of Urbino, and therefore keep Giulio from turning his hungry eyes north upon Milanese lands.

2013-10-21_00102_zpscb865097.jpg

Giulio da Montefeltro was not pleased with outcome, but he was sufficiently humbled and eager to see an end to the disastrous war. The lords of Pisa and Modena were a little upset over Giovanni’s decision to return Rome, but were happy to see an end to the wars, so that they could rebuild their lands after the army of Urbino had ravaged them.

With the peace negotiations complete, and the war officially over, the Armata di Lombardia once more returned to Milan, with its leader Duke Giovanni Maria II Sforza feeling like he had delivered the right amount of vengeance to the wayward Duke Giulio da Montefeltro.

Oh man, finally caught up with this. Still great reading.

At first I assumed you were giving the heretic leaders Czech names for flavor purposes, but they apparently actually have them. Is that because Bohemia is supporting rebels, or because they are the closest protestant country or something?

I'm glad you let Urbino stick around a bit longer. They may be ungrateful jerks that should kiss the feet of the Sforzas who raised them up, but not too long ago they were the only nation that was willing to stand by Milan's side.

Oh, and one more thing....DAMN THE FRENCH!