• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Finnish

A man of science and culture.
74 Badges
Sep 4, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
I've created the Empire of Pohjola (pronounced "Poh-yola") which is a Finno-Ugric, Suomenusko-exclusive Empire.

Pohjola is an old Finnish word which basically means "Northland". In the Kalevalan legend (Finnish national epic) Pohjola was mainly the source of the story's villains, but Pohjola is these days used in a more positive sense to describe Finland. I would compare it to the name Yamato for Japan.

Pohjola is mentioned many times in Finnish legends.
The blind daughter of Tuoni,
Old and wicked witch, Lowyatar,
Worst of all the Death-land women,
Ugliest of Mana's children,
Source of all the host of evils,
All the ills and plagues of Northland,
Black in heart, and soul, and visage,
Evil genius of Lappala,
Made her couch along the wayside,
On the fields of sin and sorrow;
Turned her back upon the East-wind,
To the source of stormy weather,
To the chilling winds of morning.

suomiy.jpg

suomi1.jpg

Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/1806995522/EmpreOfPohjola.rar

This mod affects one vanilla file: landed_titles.txt, otherwise this does not overwrite anything. This comes as a separate mod but of course you can copy this over your vanilla CK2.

Let me know of problems and preferably also ways to fix them :D

Last edited:
If Pohjola is an empire, should't there also be kingdom of Karelia?
Too small. Five counties is duchy-size. And if I separate Karelia from Finland, the latter becomes too small.

I don't know how to edit the map so I can't enlarge Finland as much as I'd love to.

Unless I give Käkisalmi to Finland from Karelia, Livonia from Lithuania to Finland, and then Bjarmia from Perm to form Kingdom of Karelia from two duchies. I suppose that would work.

Finally I can get my hands on the mesmerizing snowy Northland. :happy:

Unless I give Käkisalmi to Finland from Karelia, Livonia from Lithuania to Finland, and then Bjarmia from Perm to form Kingdom of Karelia from two duchies. I suppose that would work.
I'd be almost tempted to have a separate Finnic kingdom of Livonia actually. Where Curonians should probably be Finnic? And why not - there're small kingdoms like Bohemia, Serbia, Brittany. Along with me having doubts that Estonia has reasons to be part of Finland. (I mean, were there any actual ties between the regions?) Although ideally it would've been nice to have 3 kingdoms indeed (Finland, Livonia AND Karelia/Bjarmia) because of how AI would handle them, but that's probably just railroader in me howling. :p (He also says that Käkisalmi should remain part of Karelia because of the Novgorodian influence and control in the area. Makes it easy to direct the AI and Paradox had it easy just giving Karelia to Novgorod and Finland to Sweden in later bookmarks.)

I suggest you only make it formable if you hold the Kingdom of Rus, to represent the large Mordvin, Finnish and Estonian population there.

May I implement this in my titular titles mod (giving you credit of course)? It's a very neat thing to aim for in a game :)

hrm it might be time to make king simo of the hayha dynasty in finland and get empire building...

Why did you choose Pohjola over Kaleva?
I simply found Pohjola a more cool name. There's something about the p and the j that I like... Same reason I like Byzantine... The sexy z makes it. Bysantine would sound so lame. :D

Noh see on aga huvitav kunsti asi. :D
Does the mod contain any unique decisions for finno-ugric peoples? Does it conflict with the Old Gods?
No unique events, and does not conflict with ToG.

Perhaps a nicer color, something different from the Mongols?

Zyqmf9o.png
looks nice, 205 225 255.
kerD2s9.png
is more different from Scandinavia, 102 255 178.
Given that Mongol Empire does not appear in non-Mongol games, and if you play as Mongols Pohjola is super extremely unlikely to ever form, I don't really see a reason for that. You are free to change Pohjola's color if it fits your personal games, but for me I think white is the best for an empire focused on the Finnic peoples.

Awesome. I hope this will be part of vanilla some day. Even as I dislike fantasy empires, this is cool. And I prefer Pohjola to Kaleva, TBH. Pohjola relates more to the brooding cold north, hostile forests and stuff... But this should be only for pagans (Suomenusko). Pohjola doesn't make any sense for Finns or others when they have converted.

Awesome. I hope this will be part of vanilla some day. Even as I dislike fantasy empires, this is cool. And I prefer Pohjola to Kaleva, TBH. Pohjola relates more to the brooding cold north, hostile forests and stuff... But this should be only for pagans (Suomenusko). Pohjola doesn't make any sense for Finns or others when they have converted.
Only a Suomenusko, Finno-Ugric ruler can create Pohjola.

May I take the liberty to integrate this precious work into mine?

I am not using the name "Pohjola" by default though, it will likely be the one adopted if ruled by, say, Finnish characters; I would like to use a latinized name but I can't decide.

I am thinking about things like "Suomia", "Ugria", or "Finlandia"; the latter would be the best unless for the fact that it's the latinization of a Germanic - rather than native - name, and that it would exclude to some extent the eastern finno-ugric cultures like Samoyeds, Mordvins and Komis.