• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh boy... 130000 casualties :(

Strait crossing and amphibious invasions are suicide, specially after machine guns. You were attacking, their general was also better, and paid the price. Impossible to win that battle.

Also, there is a very scary 130k french stack roaming that will probably slaughter the russians all on its own. Don´t think you will win this war.

3) They represent an investment in technology too; Russia might be better served ignoring her navy, for example (although if you know what you’re doing, even with Russia you can get most if not all techs).
Hm...

I usually don't know what I'm doing with Techs. What should I be doing? :eek:o

great update! Let's show the ottomans the power of the dreadnoughts!

That's the spirit!

Ouch... After the Teutons were beaten by Marius the story goes that there were so many bones lying around from the fallen that locals used them to build garden fences and the like. Looks like the French in Dunkirk soon will be able to bring that back into fashion.

Did the Chineses sail an army to Greece before Russia joined? What happend to that happy little expedition?

What shierholzer said. :)

Looks like a tough war but interesting. I wonder if France still has the Bonapartiste in power. The amount of troops they can mobilize is fearsome

I assume but don't know

You know, I don't remember. They are already mobilized, though, whereas I just did toward the end of the last update.

Woah, that last battle. Is it really a defeat if you inflict 35:1 casualties then decide that you should pull out? Is there any particular reason that the Dunkirk landings lacked proper command? Hopefully you'll be able to tear the Ottomans apart and get some good terms out of them and their coalition.

I have a confession -- I mostly look at numbers and throw them frantically into the mess. Then again, I can't guarantee I had anybody better.

You seem to have a habit of losing a horrendous amount of men to win a battle and laughing it off. You really should be playing Russia with that type of strategy. :p

I'd also like to know more about the small Chinese force in Greece. It's not very often that you see something like that.

The Chinese will play a surprisingly large role in the next update, so you can find out then!

Looks like the Germans are getting trashed again, only the 2 French armies in Prussia seems to hold off the Russians (and whatever those others are).

I am also impressed that the Otto's hold out so long.

They are tough fighters, no question.

Well, since the AI suffers no naval attrition, they probably got shipped in.

This.

Oh boy... 130000 casualties :(

Strait crossing and amphibious invasions are suicide, specially after machine guns. You were attacking, their general was also better, and paid the price. Impossible to win that battle.

Also, there is a very scary 130k french stack roaming that will probably slaughter the russians all on its own. Don´t think you will win this war.

Yeah, the French stacks are certainly frightening!

Hm...

That's a good question, and without more info I can't answer you. :D There are some general tips in my other two tutorial AARs; tech has changed some for HOD, but not as much as you might think. It's mostly just been some rebalancing.

Really good update. I don't necessarily agree with the comment about losses and Russia, after all, that was the mentality of all the leaders during WWI. I do, however, think you should at least us some recon before landing the whole force and make sure your best leaders are commanding the invasion forces. Otherwise, it is just a waste of assets that could be actually be helping you.

BTW, or OT, where and why, if you did, did you learn Russian?

Hm...

IMO navy isn´t really na option for illiterate countries like Russia. The priorities are research points, literacy techs (unless you start with more than 40% literacy), industrial techs and army techs, in that order (trough some comercial techs like Freedom of Trade are also priorities). Also, if war is certain in the next 5 years then going army techs is a must. After all tier 2 techs are researched, I usually favour artillery, defensive and offensive branches. Tactics aren´t that important eventually.

Hello Avindian I am a longtime lurker on your aars but only started commenting-now. I would've bought Victoria 2 already but alas and alack, I own a Mac. :mad: How did the Germans/French get some many troops in Dunkirk?

Last edited:
Really good update. I don't necessarily agree with the comment about losses and Russia, after all, that was the mentality of all the leaders during WWI. I do, however, think you should at least us some recon before landing the whole force and make sure your best leaders are commanding the invasion forces. Otherwise, it is just a waste of assets that could be actually be helping you.

BTW, or OT, where and why, if you did, did you learn Russian?

My family, way back when, is Russian (my great grandparents, to be specific, on my father's side). I learned it at university and have continued to pursue it until the present.

Well, this update was (stops, puts on sunglasses) very "great". YEEEAAAHHH!

:D

Just when France thinks they have Russia on the ropes millions of Chinese soldiers come pouring into Europe :D

Well, not "millions", but... well, you'll see this weekend!

IMO navy isn´t really na option for illiterate countries like Russia. The priorities are research points, literacy techs (unless you start with more than 40% literacy), industrial techs and army techs, in that order (trough some comercial techs like Freedom of Trade are also priorities). Also, if war is certain in the next 5 years then going army techs is a must. After all tier 2 techs are researched, I usually favour artillery, defensive and offensive branches. Tactics aren´t that important eventually.

Exactly. Navy is usually the last thing I research unless I'm trying to spam dreadnoughts for MIL score. Tactics are, however, extremely important in the early to mid game.

Hello Avindian I am a longtime lurker on your aars but only started commenting-now. I would've bought Victoria 2 already but alas and alack, I own a Mac. :mad: How did the Germans/French get some many troops in Dunkirk?

Glad to have you along! They didn't really have anybody to worry about for a while, I guess.

That _IS_ a Great War indeed. Good luck! (Was it worth it, keeping that 200k German stack in Dunkirk?)

Don't worry -- they'll be dealt with!

On the last expansion (Heart of Darkness) the Channel is now a strait. So if no ships are blocking crossing, you can put armies in Dunkirk AND invade England without ships.

AI Always pays attention to it and if he wasn´t blocking he would have that stack sieging him on Dover :)

Ouch! You do realize this is Vicky and not HOI, where large-scale amphibious landings are possible? I assume Dunkirk will by synonymous with our Gallipoli...

Could be, could be...

On the last expansion (Heart of Darkness) the Channel is now a strait. So if no ships are blocking crossing, you can put armies in Dunkirk AND invade England without ships.

AI Always pays attention to it and if he wasn´t blocking he would have that stack sieging him on Dover :)

This is also very true!

Ouch! You do realize this is Vicky and not HOI, where large-scale amphibious landings are possible? I assume Dunkirk will by synonymous with our Gallipoli...

Could be, could be...

This is also very true!

Chapter 18, part 2: Now 50% greater!

It turns out poor people don’t like dying in horrifically bloody battles. Who knew? Some subsidies should help.

2isy.jpg

At this point, I have one army in Germany (Swinemünde) and, of course, these armies in France:

v6u1.jpg

I start on Electrical Power Generation soon after Dunkirk finishes. Here’s the incredibly chaotic Eastern Front:

85rv.jpg

The Chinese have, ever so slowly, begun to arrive. I believe these particular Chinese units walked across Russia. Oh yeah, and the Japanese are here too:

1evr.jpg

Overall, at this point, the war still looks bad, mainly because the other guys have a +50 war score for battles, which is not much fun. I will start working this back in my favor soon. Russia’s personal war score is high enough that they add a war goal: Ostpreussen.

In June, I smash a small German army. A second battle gives me about +5 war score against Germany, which is not too shabby. Dunkirk is captured at the end of July. I take my army and attack a German stack in Lille. In August, Berlin falls to British troops, yet the Germans refuse to surrender. Cheeky blighters (you can imagine a British accent there – it’s probably way better than the actual voice I just used). I begin to see why, as the French get them some reinforcements at Lille:

fvuz.jpg

Sure, the next day, I pick up another 3 war score, but it’s a minor victory. The Chinese invade Germany in force:

rkdf.jpg

It’s clear that I might have to evacuate again, given the massive armies of both France and Germany surrounding me.

6hz5.jpg

Of course, the French are retaking Dunkirk, so that is a tricky proposition. The French somehow still have enough strength to attack me in Germany, and I get this lovely surprise.

8thh.jpg

I lose the battle but inflict a lot more casualties – I’ll have to pull this army out to let it recover the ORG all the same. Fortunately, I’m not without gas protection for long.

d0nm.jpg

Thanks to military access with Wallonia, I sneak the British troops in France out of France and invade the Rhineland instead.

2gp7.jpg

I also take the troops from Germany (China can handle that, for now) and open up a new front on the Mediterranean. Corsica is an excellent staging area.

z6tt.jpg

If I am in this war to win it – and of course I am – I have to do something a bit more drastic.

wqyq.jpg

Fascists form in Scandinavia. Corsica falls in March, but Germany retakes Berlin. I invade southern France.

b6xd.jpg

I finish Electrical Power Generation in April and choose Bank Inspection Board. Meanwhile, France has started to retake land in the Ottoman Empire. A French attack at Toulon goes very badly for them, but I still have to withdraw to Corsica to regain my strength.

vwzb.jpg

I’ve fought a few battles in the Rhineland, but nothing significant. I decide enough is enough and send my mobilized reserves into France.

b4gh.jpg

Labour gets reelected in July and Poland surrenders. No matter – I got what I wanted out of them. Dunkirk 2.0 is surprisingly light in casualties – less than 15,000 combined – mostly because the France probably ran away. A second invasion of the Mediterranean coast proves more successful than the first. After a few indecisive battles in northern France, I successfully surround one of their former doomstacks:

m2w3.jpg

With Japanese assistance, I also spread out on the southern coast.

bcas.jpg

French and German provinces are now being captured with satisfying regularity. I start Shift Work at the end of the month. Greece surrenders to the Ottomans in December.

I take Paris in February. They still won’t surrender. (China and Japan have annoyingly added Cut Down to Size goals against France – I have no idea why, but when they get revolutions, it isn’t my problem). Speaking of rebels, my own breaks out (Anarcho-Liberals). This is a real problem because I don’t have a lot of troops in the Home Isles – only two armies, which have combined about 100,000 men. While we think about that, let’s take a quick look at the Ottomans:

1uas.jpg

This is really frustrating because they won’t surrender. In October, I take Electric Furnace as my new tech. The rebellion is under control, the French armies have largely been wiped out, and everything is going well, so far.

I finally get an alliance with Egypt (who has been in my sphere forever) and I call them into the war, hoping to put even more pressure on the Ottomans.

rper.jpg

Spain’s truce is up, so they get called back in too. I get Gas Attack in February. I close this update by showing you that France is all but done in this war:

hvv8.jpg

Part 3 of this war will be up sometime soon – it’ll be a short update – and then I have to play again.

What happened to my Belgium! You must give them flanders and Wallonia back!

I'm very disappointed that you surround the enemy stack as the AI has no idea how to counter that :( (not that you wouldn't have won anyway with that 901K stack).

Last edited:
Independence Rebels cannot take capitals, so if Belgium collapses for some reason (loosing wars, etc), there will be Flanders and Wallonia, while Belgium remains in control of Brussels and any colony they might have.

huh. A wet dream for some extremely stupid politicians here. How's Flemish economy?

Guess it helps to have a 900,000 reserve force :D

Long way to go for China and Japan but it looks like they sent enough troops to make a difference.