• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General Grant

Sergeant
14 Badges
Jan 3, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
67137310.jpg
Introduction: This AAR is from a scenario I have been tinkering with for a while now. It began back when Hearts of Iron II was released, but I eventually found out that I couldn't do everything I wanted with the HoI2 game engine and had to wait for HoI3, FTM and SF before I got what I wanted and resumed my tinkering. Even so, this is a long time in coming. The idea behind it was simple. I ran across a statistic saying that in World War 2, there were more than one million native Africans fighting, either in militias in their own countries or in the armies of the European powers. My reaction was: "What if they fought under the same flag?" and the African Union was born. This is an alternate history scenario. I have tried to diverge as little as possible from real history, but as I have found out researching the necessary changes, important events in history often hinge on seemingly small matters that could have easily gone a different way.

This AAR is my first attempt at an "official" AAR. It uses HoI3 3.05 + SF + FTM There is no official "Mod" except my tinkering with the OOB of several countries and some of the provinces. The background begins in 1923, but the game itself begins traditionally in January 1936 using the "Road to War" OOB (with the exception of my changes). Some of the political landscape of Africa is different. For the new "country", the African Union I used Liberia. I had initially thought about creating a new nation and simply had the various African nations allied to it, but that generated too much headache, so I co-opted the Liberians, used a new flag and created a new OOB and tech start and annexed the other members. The other nations leaders (Ethiopia, South Africa and Egypt) were added to Liberia and I created some new ones out of other historical figures that were out and about at the time.

I will update this AAR at least on a weekly basis as my free time is at a premium at the moment. Later on, updates might come faster, but no promises. I am playing the game as I write, so each update will pretty much be a "What happened to me this last week" kind of thing. I encourage comments and questions on the game, even tips on my strategy... although I've done a lot of playtests and have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. While I will be handicapping myself to make things interesting, I don't anticipate I will actually lose this game, but in creating this scenario I have found out that nothing is certain from one game to the next. I have had to make one or two arbitrary changes in the interests of balance, but I have at least TRIED to come up with plausible explanations for everything. I feel this game would make an excellent multi-player scenario. The AU is not significantly better than any of the major powers and would be a challenging addition to one of the three alliances or as a neutral party. I created AU for myself, but if it generates enough interest here, I may clean it up and package it as a mod for any interested parties.

Now.... to business This first update is all background, taking place before 1936 or right at game start:

historytitle.jpg

Paris, 1922
At the behest of Empress Zewditu I of Ethiopia, her son, Ras Tafari Makonnen travels to Paris to meet with British officials for the possibility of the transfer of the British Punt Mandate to Ethiopia.
selassie.jpg
While in Paris, he sits in on a different sort of meeting. W.E.B. du Bois, a political activist from America and Liberian President Charles King are in town trying to organize the 3rd Pan-African congress are there,as is General Jans Smuts, Prime minister of South Africa, King Faud of Egypt and two other unknown men. There is no record of what was said in that meeting, or the identities of the two unknowns, or if the meeting was a chance encounter or planned in advance but when it was over, all of them returned to their respective countries and began to set in motion events that were to have a global implications in the coming decades.

In the wake of the Tulsa and the Bloody Summer in America of a year ago, du Bois and other black leaders began preaching for a return to the African homeland. Tens of thousands of dissaffected Blacks with useful skills, trained in America came to Monrovia. Officials of the Liberian government were on the docks with offers of paying jobs and an opportunity to make a new home for themselves. More than a few of these new returning citizens were ex-military, who had fought for the United States in the Great War and had left the military or been forced to muster out when the fighting was over. These recruits and other immigrants arrived in Liberia and were funneled to places all over Africa where there was work to be had..... work provided by a company called African Development Projects. The ADP was building railroad infrastructure all over Africa for shipping men, equipment and resources. It also had a fair number of building development contracts. Much of the work was being done in Kenya and Ethiopia, but even French Algeria and the Portugese and Belgian colonies benefited from this new infrastructure. As many of the ADP's "projects" were in the interior of the continent, who had commissioned the projects and exactly what was being built was sometimes a mystery.

In the meantime, another organization was rising out of Kenya and Ethiopia. It was a political council on local African affairs called the African Union. This council advised on local politics and served as a liason between European business interests and local labor and tribal authorities. It had five founding members: The same five named individuals who were at the Paris meeting
webdbc.jpg
smuts.jpg

chuckoe.jpg
fuad.jpg
selassien.jpg

Between 1923 and 1930, the ADP became rich and the AU became influential. The AU smoothed ruffled feathers and accomplished things once thought impossible, such as the negotiation of a Jewish state in Africa. In 1925, under a deal brokered by the AU and the British, the Jewish Territorialist Organization is granted land in Eretria to found a Jewish state, although the deal almost doesn't happen as there is considerable difference of opinion on the validity of a Jewish State outside of the Middle East. Jewish immigration from Ethiopia and abroad causes the Jewish community to grow, although not as quickly as expected. ITO chairman Israel Zangwill becomes first Prime minister of the new nation of Israel. He holds the position until his death in 1926. Out of this deal, Britain gained an allied port on the Horn of Africa, the ITO got it's Jewish homeland, and the AU acquired it's first directly administered territory, although British and Italian solders continued to be stationed there until the Great Depression.
pregamef.jpg

October 1929 was the start of the Great Depression, an economic collapse that flew around the world. By early in 1930, the ADP was in financial trouble when it's building contracts began to dry up and was absorbed by the African Union to repay the company's debts. However, it was also a period when the European powers were tightening belts and looking to shed weight from their own bottom lines. Some of their colonies in Africa began to look like they were more trouble than they were worth. The African Union had gained a reputation with the local population as an able administration office and useful bulwark against the preatory practices of Europe. Anti-colonialism in the native African population had found a rallying point. In addition, Ras Tafari, already having made himself king of Ethiopia was crowed Emperor with the death of Empress Zewditu I. He now had considerable power as Emperor of Ethiopia to assist the AU, as did Prime Minister Smuts of South Africa. Over the next five years, the AU shifted from being a local diplomatic office to being an administration body. Emphasis for security was shifted to local talent, and the AU began searching out dispossesed and disbanded units that fought in the Great War and offering them a home if they were to reconsititute or reactivate. Under the auspices of "security", the AU began to build a military industrial complex. By 1933, the regions of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania were under the direct control of the African Union. Although they still had their British garrisons, many of the garrison units were locals who held more respect and loyalty for the Union than with the British. In addition, the British were in the process of negotiating with the AU for transfer of several other territories, including Niger and Rhodesia. France was initially hesitant, but eventually began at least discussing the possibility of eventual home rule for it's territories. The hold-outs were Belgium and Portugal. Mussolini, as well had no inclination to negotiate Libya out of it's control and had designs on adding other territories to their list. While Portugal and Belgium were deemed too remote and not strong enough to pose any kind of long-term threat to the African Union, Italy was another matter. At the time, the Italians were politically isolated. It was unlikely that anyone would assist them in defeating the Union.... what many considered to be a back-yard third-rate power. However the Italian army was impressive, at least on paper. No one expected them to leave Libya without a fight and there was a very good possibility that Egypt could be invaded if Mussolini lost patience. In order to distract Italy and hamper any attack plans Mussolini may be cultivating, a covert operation is put in place to identify revolutionary leaders in Libya and to begin supplying them in their fight against the Italians. One of these, Sidi Omar al-Mukhtar is identified as a regional hero and has been very successful in hampering the Italians while maintaining only a small force of rebels in the desert. The AU begins secretly financing their cause. As a result of this support, Omars resistance movement gains momentum
omaryz.jpg
Sidi Omar al-Mukhtar​

The AU holds a continental summit in the city of Agadez. The leadership of the AU was there, representing their nations. Various influential and respected leaders and activists from all over Africa were also invited to discuss the future of the Union. The European powers were invited to send representatives as well; Britain, France, Italy, Belgium, Spain, and Portugal. Italy and Portugal snubbed the meeting, openly declaring that the AU was an illegal government and they had no intention of respecting an authority they didn't recognize, but the other nations sent representatives and responded with cautious optimism. Even Belgium made an appearance, although no one expected them to greet the possibility of them losing control of the Congo region with any enthusiasm. Britain re-iterated her plans for Niger and Rhodesia and expressed hope that their negotiations would continue. France finally made a promise to move toward an administrative transfer of her North African colonies and tentatively set 1940 as a deadline for complete autonomy. At the talks, WEB du Bois presented documented accounts of atrocities carried out by the Belgian authorities on the Congo natives, but the Belgian representatives at the summit talks were unapologetic and remained intractable, asking for deliberately unattainable payments for releasing the Congo to the administrative control of the Union. The European representatives were finally thanked for their efforts and shown out of the meeting hall. Afterwards, the discussion turned to possible action in the face of what they had all been shown. Smuts brought details of the Union "security" forces at his disposal and was already in the midst of making plans in case of aggressive action by Italy. Although Italy was the primary threat, he and King Faud felt certain that Egypt could be successfully defended while having forces left over to secure the Portugese colonies and the Congo from Belgium, assuming such actions did not widen the war and bring others in on the side of the European powers. Eventually, two things were decided in that meeting by a voice-vote of those present. First, that they would all meet the following month (February) and choose a permanent leader for the AU. This leader would preside over military and "continent-wide matters" for all territories in Africa. A Charter was drawn up, the text of which specifically stated that the AU claimed administrative jurisdiction over "All territorial domains within the bounds of the continent of Africa and Madigascar, excepting Sierra Leon and the Jewish Autonomous District known as Israel." All twenty members at the meeting signed the charter, including South Africa, Egypt and Abyssinia. The second decision vote was to make Ras Tafari, now Haile Selassie to be acting headr of the African Union until the next Summit meeting in February. Emperor Selassie's first order of business was to appoint Smuts as supreme commander of the AU "security forces". The emperor's first order given as acting ruler of the African continent was "General, mobilize the army immediately."
pregame11.jpg

African Union territorial control after the Charter​

Interesting idea! Are you aligned with a faction at present?

Avindian: Not aligned at present. I had an earlier incarnation that shifted the Allies from England/France to the AU at start and had the English/French/etc alliance as just a standard military alliance. The idea was intriguing, but historically it isn't really plausible, and will require a reworking of many of the event entries. Some later incarnation perhaps.

JC the Duke: 126 base wartime ic production. Comparable with the other European powers, closest to Italy's war-time IC production. I tried to simulate industrial development beginning around 1923-25. It took less than ten years to take Russia from an essentially agrarian nation to an industrial super-power, and even conservative estimates would make the entire continent of Africa on par with the US (pre-war industry) and Russia for industrial output by 1936. However, at start the AU output is only a little better than France. Infrastructure has been improved in select areas as well, but still kinda crappy overall. Lots of potential, but a comparatively small military to begin with. Also, some of the "New" production centers begin inside French and Italian borders, so those nations get a slight boost at start too. Any of the factions could most likely slap down the AU without too much trouble. The challenge for the AU is to not make too many enemies all at once (or the wrong one's too early), while securing the continent and a big enough military to defend it.

I was thinking about creating AU myself (I'm know for doing such retarded combinations) and possibly joining the Allies to help them with liberating the Europe, but in the end, I'd need so much to do even when it would be "Africa 1936". Leaders, ministers, infrastructure, units... Let alone that endless "changeowner" and "changecontroller" spamming... I hope you've added cores on whole Africa! :eek: I also hope you've set up Israel from some existing country. Because creating a new country has to be a hell of a job.

I'm also interested in your OOB, manpower, IC, resources, technologies, production... Where do you have your capital set up? Africa is a big place to control and transporting 30 supplies per day is a nightmare for every HoI gamer :)

Darn. I was hoping to find the Draka in HOI3.

I was thinking about creating AU myself (I'm know for doing such retarded combinations) and possibly joining the Allies to help them with liberating the Europe, but in the end, I'd need so much to do even when it would be "Africa 1936". Leaders, ministers, infrastructure, units... Let alone that endless "changeowner" and "changecontroller" spamming... I hope you've added cores on whole Africa! :eek: I also hope you've set up Israel from some existing country. Because creating a new country has to be a hell of a job.

I'm also interested in your OOB, manpower, IC, resources, technologies, production... Where do you have your capital set up? Africa is a big place to control and transporting 30 supplies per day is a nightmare for every HoI gamer :)

Actually, Israel is already in there, but no OOB set up at the beginning. I just assigned the provinces and changed some of the dates on their leaders and got them up and running in no time.

Yeah, the mind-numbing province editing for the whole of Africa was a killer. As much as possible, I avoided changing the individual province files as that surely would have killed me. I scripted the "Charter signing" and added the cores and things like additional industry, infra, resources there instead of getting into the province directory. Much of the province change-overs could be done by region though (with the wholes filled in with individual province commands) but yeah... not something I want to do twice (heavily backed up files after I finished that part). So on January 2, 1936 the AU goes from really tiny to almost a half of the continent. It works out better that way because of the background anyway.

Manpower and resources are high for Africa to start with (with most of it being exported to European war-machines) I increased some of the resource production to meet the needs of the developing industry, although you still have to trade for things. The AU is light on usable oil (at least in the '30s) The OOB for the military is light and most of it is infantry.

All are model 0 except the ships (bought from Japan)
5 Infantry divisions (3 brigades each)
2 Cavalry divisions (3 brigades each)
1 Motor infantry division (3 brigades)
11 Infantry divisions (3 brigades + artillery brigade each)
3 militia brigades
1 Mountain infantry divisions (3 brigades + engineer brigade)
1 Armored Cavalry Division
- 1 light armor
- 2 motor infantry
- 1 self-propelled artillery

Mobile Infantry Command [I usually make this a separate theater command to keep it together when I let the AI play with it]
2 armor divisions (3 lt armor brigades)
2 armor divisions (3 lt armor + SP artillery brigades)
1 armor division (1 med armor brigade + 2 lt armor + SP artillery)
3 Mech infantry divisions (3 mech + TD brigades)
4 Mech infantry divisions (3 mech brigades)
5 Marine divisions (3 marine brigades)
includes attached transport ships
4 squadrons CAS

navy (older model Japanese ships purchased in 1928, the CVLs are converted transports)
2 CVL (1 CAG squadron each)
3 BC
4 CL
6 DD
2 sub
reserve (6 DD)

Air force
4 tactical bomber squadrons
4 interceptor squadrons
8 naval bomber squadrons

I took the technology template from the germans, taking out the rocket tech, atomic research, adding mech infantry and a few levels of fuel tanks to the air tech. Without a slight edge in range, air power would otherwise be useless for the AU and the increase is plausible considering they have been preparing for almost ten years and know what they're getting into. I added basic medium tanks to the starting armor tech for the same reason, although in practice, the mobility of light tanks makes them more effective inside Africa. Where other nations will use a medium/heavy armor combination, the AU is better off with a light/medium armor combo. The computer AI seems to think so anyway. This particular scenario cries out for some kind of non-paradrop air transport that can move things like armored units from one airbase to another. I experimented early with making EVERYTHING a paratroop unit, but that got...... strange :) It's too bad the engine doesn't allow it. I also tried making a new unit that had the capabilities of a CVL and a transport, like modern Assault Ships, but couldn't get them to work either...

The capital of the AU is Nairobi at start 10056 next to Mombasa, and yes... even local supply becomes a nightmare. Logistics wizards and some careful minister appointments can mitigate this, but pretty much the only advantage comes from having the entire continent added as a core, and with the Med crawling with Italian ships to begin with, trade and supply are problematic.

I scripted the "Charter signing" and added the cores and things like additional industry, infra, resources there instead of getting into the province directory.

That's interesting. May I ask you how you did it? It could help me a lot :)

Maybe my next scenario :)

Or I'd always wanted to do one from the World War series, but modelling an alien invasion from space would be difficult.
if you add a event, that aliens gain cores on some provinces and they get some inf brigades and high techs it is possible :)

That's interesting. May I ask you how you did it? It could help me a lot :)

It wasn't easy, but it was easier than going through each province file: There are editors out there that supposedly help, but I wasn't able to get any to work without crashing on my box.

I used a pretty huge event that had a lot of "addcore" commands and province commands like -
5567 = {
industry = 5
manpower = 1.5
}
9943 = {
air_base = 4
metal = 120
infantry_brigade = current
rocket_artillery_brigade = current
}

I set it to fire immediately. It adds whatever I specified for the provinces no matter who is controlling them at the time. If I add military units to a province that France owns, the units are French, no matter who fires the event (in this case; the AU) Then in later events, I have "secede_province" commands that move control of the territories to the AU. Having been already added as cores, when the secede_province command fires, they join the AU as if they are home territory. I could short-cut some like the SAF and ETH territories by using "Annex" commands, and you can use the secede_province command on regions like Libya. All of these events are linked so they fire at the same time as the first one that adds the cores.

It wasn't easy, but it was easier than going through each province file: There are editors out there that supposedly help, but I wasn't able to get any to work without crashing on my box.

I used a pretty huge event that had a lot of "addcore" commands and province commands like -

I set it to fire immediately. It adds whatever I specified for the provinces no matter who is controlling them at the time. If I add military units to a province that France owns, the units are French, no matter who fires the event (in this case; the AU) Then in later events, I have "secede_province" commands that move control of the territories to the AU. Having been already added as cores, when the secede_province command fires, they join the AU as if they are home territory. I could short-cut some like the SAF and ETH territories by using "Annex" commands, and you can use the secede_province command on regions like Libya. All of these events are linked so they fire at the same time as the first one that adds the cores.

Seems pretty interesting, though it scared me off making such things even further. I guess I'll ask on the mod forum if I need help with it ;)

A few questions:

So are the right wing leaning peoples of South Africa working as partners with the rest of the Africans or did they migrate off the continent? Their post-1945 behavior doesn't suggest they're willing to be partners.

Why use the German tech tree? With so much of Africa being controlled in the past by London and formed/fought under British formations/arms, wouldn't it make more sense for them to retain what they have (English tech tree) than go a different route?

Why would the Africans have such a large armored/mechanical force as you have planned before WWII even starts? Such a force would compare favorably with much more powerful and developed nations.

The possibility of buying to-be-scrapped older capital ships from the Japanese seems reasonable. The African's "foresight" to convert to transports to light carriers seems too gamey. Pre-war, only 4 nations had aircraft carriers...for a reason.

A few questions:

So are the right wing leaning peoples of South Africa working as partners with the rest of the Africans or did they migrate off the continent? Their post-1945 behavior doesn't suggest they're willing to be partners.
Post 1945 is a direct result of the war. The relative conflicts that drove the African nations apart (left and right) came in-part from having those nations being pushed around by the European powers. Different nations were under the thumb of different European powers and went in different directions. Selassie was respected and well liked by the majority of African nations, and Abyssinia even had a substantial Jewish population inside it's borders, as well as Christians. He would be a natural choice for a leader most of Africa could rally around. Unfortunately in the real world, Abyssinia got it's ass kicked by the Italians. The bigger problems would come from South Africa, who's Apartheid policies were just taking root. In fact, it was Prime Minister Smut's attempts to work against that that forced him out of office. Besides that, the various European war machines shipped an obscene amount of wealth and resources out of Africa, so when the war was over, you had an instant 3rd world. Lots of bad blood, but no one rich enough to do anything about it. WW2 set back the liberation of many African countries by a decade or more.

Why use the German tech tree? With so much of Africa being controlled in the past by London and formed/fought under British formations/arms, wouldn't it make more sense for them to retain what they have (English tech tree) than go a different route?
It would actually be harder to get British and French tech because those nations had a vested interest in NOT letting the people they are subjugating get their hands on the technology. German and Russian tech, however would be readily available for the right price, if for no other reason than the Germans and the Russians had little steak in the continent at the time and would be more than happy to make things difficult for the western european powers.... kinda like what Russia is doing today, dumping their old equipment (and some new) all over the Middle East. Germany and Russia will also need the money, as will Japan at the beginning, so it's no skin off their noses to dump a lot of their stuff in Africa just to see what happens. Savvy Union techs will rip it apart and find out how it works and improve on it. Sierra Leon had a wonderful University that a lot of natives were able to study at... Many European scientists came from there as well. African research and development is just a question of loyalties.

Why would the Africans have such a large armored/mechanical force as you have planned before WWII even starts? Such a force would compare favorably with much more powerful and developed nations.
Given that this all starts back in '23, it is not such a far leap for the Union to be able to put together their own research team if their focus was narrow enough. A little foresight and vision shows that North Africa is the perfect terrain for armor and the need for a mobile force to cover so much ground would certainly drive the technology AND the doctrine, and by the early '30s the technology was widespread. The rest is industry. France did that even before Germany. Their problem was tactics. The Soviets did it before the Germans or the French and led the world in tank technology until the end of the war. It's actually a larger unknown for them to have mech infantry at start, but I figured since all of these ground forces begin at model 0, the Union is really beginning the game with WW1 technology that has been kludged to work slightly better. It will take time (and ics) for them to be able to stand tank for tank against any European power, which is as it should be. The AU has enough ic's to build a proper "modern" military force or it can update it's current force. It doesn't have enough to do both, and either one will take time.

The possibility of buying to-be-scrapped older capital ships from the Japanese seems reasonable. The African's "foresight" to convert to transports to light carriers seems too gamey. Pre-war, only 4 nations had aircraft carriers...for a reason.
The reason only 4 countries had carriers was largely because the tactical thinking of the time was still shifting away from battleships, and that was still how the nations of the world counted large navies.... by the number of battleships they had. The African Union has 2 light carriers (CVL's with one CAG each) made from converted transports (something a lot of nations did to field carriers quickly when it was clear they were such great platforms) It's not so much of a stretch.

I should note that my "handicap" for this game will be to be a lowly theater commander. With some exceptions (the AI doesn't handle the leadership sliders very well at all), the rest of the AU and the other theaters will be AI controlled. As such, this AAR will be told from the perspective of General George Reynolds, of the Mobile Infantry Command, the striking arm of the Union. I will not be making the political decisions in the game (although there is no AI to handle event choices) and as I know some of the political decisions that are going to come up.... this could hurt :) I will still provide a nation-wide perspective for the AAR updates.... just from a slightly narrow point of view.

...and the next (first?) update will be coming out in a day or so... I have to finish off another writing project first.. so I've just been playing the game and taking screen shots so far.

au1o.jpg

January 1936
Following the African Union Charter signing, there were a few ripple effects. First was that Italy declared war on the newly formed Union. The second was that the Mid-East Coalition and the Palestinian Republic was formed. Although not currently at war with each other, there is bad blood between the Palestinian Republic and the Coalition. The coalition demanded that the PR join their alliance, but in order to keep friendly relations with the British, the PR stayed neutral. (Note: This new "2nd World power bloc was created because during playtests, it was discovered that it is WAY too easy for the Allies to keep control of the Middle East with the African Union effectively nullifying the North African Campaign)

{Game start: My first order of business is (as always) the infamous "Appoint the Generals" exercise. I left it up to the computer for the most part and poached a couple of my favorite commanders for the MIC. I created 5 theaters in total. North Africa gets Libya and West Africa, Middle East Forward gets Egypt. Eastern Command gets Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia and South Africa gets Congo and South Africa, including the two Portugese colonies. The last one is the Mobile Infantry Command, which is mine, and the only one not under AI control. I'm taking the armor, the marines, the close attack aircraft and transports (for supply purposes in the icky parts of Libya). I will gladly let the computer handle production. I am, after all supposed to be playing with a handicap. However, I need specific things to be in the schedule. The computer rarely removes something that you have placed on the schedule, so there are a few things I want to add before I let the AI fill in the rest. Technology is the same. Adding medium armor tech, radar and aircraft fuel tank tech and I'm happy... the rest is up to the Union government. ... and speaking of government.... A new cabinet can wait. There will be a new government in February and the appointments can wait until then. South African Command gets the job of "integrating" the Portugese colonies of Angola and Mozambique, and I'll leave them to it. My first objective is Tobruk in Libya.}
tobruks.jpg

Other minor issues:
janprod.jpg

With supply lines not fully prepared for operations against Italy, there is more than a little chaos in the African Union economy and military logistics. To make matters worse, almost all the deployed military hardware is old technology, which needs to be upgraded. Industry will most likely be concentrating on modernizing the military, and it will take some time for resource production to get sorted out as well. Much of the production was disrupted during the recent change of hands and will take time to come back. In addition, it will most likely hamper early military operations, most notably air power and armored forces, but it's not as bad as it looks. Production will be more than enough to keep pace with consumption. It is only the logistics of getting supplies and fuel to where they are needed. Africa doesn't have a lot of oil, but it has energy, and most of the surplus will be redirected to fuel production. New production is the subject of some controversy. Both the navy and the air force are woefully understrength for adequate offensive/defensive operations in Africa, but most of the schedule production either way will have to be delayed until the ground forces are at least partially upgraded. After some debate on the subject, a production run of thirty destroyer groups is deemed adequate for building the backbone of the African Navy. The front runner for Chief of the Navy, Lij Johannes has dubbed the proposed force the "Destroyer Horde of Africa" and hopes that the first production run is continued. For the near future, the African navy will be anchored at Alexandria in Egypt protected by naval bombers and interceptors.

(translation: The upgrades will suck my ic's away for a bit, but I don't really need to be producing new stuff at the moment. The production queue already has four underground bases in it. I added 2 CAS groups and thirty destroyers, mostly because destroyers can do anti-aircraft and anti-sub operations and they are cheaper than aircraft. The computer added a garrison division and two subs. I moved the destroyers to the end of the production schedule. There won't be enough for full production for some time, but the destroyers will be needed as ongoing production to offset losses when I do go after the Italian fleet, which will be later. For the time being, I'm keeping the small fleet at anchor in Alexandria. I don't want to go up against the Italian navy just yet.)

By January 10th, Underground resistance networks were established in Angola, Mozambique and Libya by Union intelligence.
resistance3y.jpg
Libyan Resistance
resistance2.jpg
Mozambique Resistance
resistance1.jpg
Angola Resistance

January 12th
huhgm.jpg
(Venezuela offers military transit rights? What's up with that?)
First engagement at Tobruk. The Italians were caught before they had been able to reinforce the town and Union mechanized infantry drove through the single infantry division, grinding it into the ground in less than two days. (Pshaw... Give me a hard one.)
tobruk1.jpg

Three weeks later and hardly slowing, the blitz continues toward Benghazi.
benghazi.jpg

The main Italian strength has yet to be felt, however. Until the airfield is taken, the Union armor will be outside the protection of the interceptors and the ground attack planes of the Tactical Squadron and will be unsupported. Four light armor divisions and some mechanized infantry take a fast southern route in the hopes that any resistance falling back to Benghazi will be trapped so it can be destroyed by the main attack.

February
Stalin's political enemies become aware of his plot to arrest them and flee the country.
purge.jpg
Many disaffected soviet officers make it to Alexandria and ask for asylum in the African Union. The Union gratefully accepts, but that sours relations with the Soviet Union and the Comintern. (The KGB can shout all they like... Mikhail Tukhachevsky alone is worth the trouble with the Soviets. Note: Since there's no way to "transfer" officers, I added the officers to the Union roster so they are technically there from the beginning, but if you chose the second option, the leaders are removed. I may be missing something here, but there doesn't seem to be any way to start some leaders as dormant and activate them at a later date, except on a yearly basis inside the leader data. I may shift this event to Jan 1937 so that it looks better. It still won't work the way I want it to... but it will be close)

Early February is also the 2nd Agadez Summit and the new leader of the Union has been selected. All hail Haile Selassie Ras Tafari, King of Ethiopia, Emperor of Abyssinia and ruler of Africa.
cabineti.jpg
Jan Smuts humbly accepts the position of Chief of the Army, and Lij (Destroyer Horde of Africa) Johannes is given the position of Chief of the Navy.

February 5th
First serious Italian resistance encountered southeast of Benghazi.
benghazi1.jpg

...but it seems the drive across Libya was too rapid and didn't allow the Italians time to properly prepare the defense of Benghazi. Now the hope of trapping a large portion of the Italian army is gone. The good news is that Benghazi is almost completely undefended and soon Union ground attack aircraft will once again be within range of the front. Unfortunately, the advance is out-running the Union supply lines and it becoming difficult to keep the army moving. Transport planes were called in to help keep the front line units provisioned, but a two week period of consolidation ensued. By the end of February Benghazi is firmly in Union hands, but Misratah and Tarabulus are still ahead.
benghazi2.jpg

Elsewhere in Africa, rebellions have broken out in Angola and Mozambique, slowly bringing those territories under Union control, and so far there have been no Portugese troops sent to deal with the revolts, suggesting that the small European nation has given up on their colonies in the face of problems at home. The South African Command is still watchful.

how are your provinces calle no51234-NAME? Why? very intresting read BTW