• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ThatJamesguy01

ThatJamesGuy01
112 Badges
Aug 29, 2009
www.twitch.tv
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Prison Architect
E5lg5.jpg

Well as the location of the Thread might suggest this is an AAR, it's going to be told from the King Ottos perspective at first, and then later the Prime Minister (once I undoubtedly do become a HM's Government). Hopefully it's going to be primarily a Narrative AAR, however I intend for some History book style interludes for things like battles, elections, and 'crises' however all that might change once I start writing updates and getting carried away with such frivolities as characters and so forth. I'll be throwing in some elements of comedy, however it is not going to be a comedy AAR... (Atleast I hope it won't become one)

I'm going to be playing with a few rules and they are just to limit my self to actions that make sense.

Rule 1. Only break the Infamy limit, if it is in the governments/head of state's character OR it will solve a major crisis.
Rule 2. Economy and Military will be run as far as the Government that is elected's policies would make sense (as such the political elections will get interesting) The King (when he is in charge will flit around and do what's best for his country... Hopefully.
Rule 3. The Rules are subject to change and may well be edited, updated, modified, added to, or removed as I please, once we get underway.

I've already played a little way in and have realized that playing Greece, (especially on harder difficulties) is just a crisis after another. Hence the name of the thread, and I'll be putting up the first update, posts, and pictures today, in a few hours or so.

Trophy Cabinet

Best Character Writer of the Week Award - 07-06-2013

Le Contents

Part I - The Birth of a Financial Crisis - 1836
Part II - 1836 A False Diplomatic Crisis - 1836
Part III - The Hellenic Trade Company - 1837 to January 1838

Interlude I - A very Victorian Interlude. - June 1838

Part IV - The Bloodless war begins (Liberation of Crete Part I - 1838 to mid 1839
Part V - A Bloodless war ends (The Liberation of Crete Part II) - 1839 to 1841
Part VI - The Rejuvenation - 1841 to 1845
Part VII - A new Island for the Kingdom - 1845 to 1846
Part VIII - New Subjects, New Taxes, New Aspirations - 1846 to mid 1847
Part IX - The Birth of an Empire - Mid 1847 to new years 1850

Last edited:
Part I - The Birth of financial Crisis

An excerpt from the King’s Memoirs.
‘Running Greece is like running from one Crisis to the next. Except it’s not a simple run, as the Turks always seem to start shooting, at the worst of times.

A portrait of the King circulated just after his ascension to the throne so the people knew who to love, and indeed who to hate. - The faces of the Greek monarchy

9th of January, 1836, Nafpilon​

“Do I have to repeat myself...You are no longer my regent” Otto sighed, as he walked with Josef through the corridors of the palace.

“But my King, we can’t just up and move the entire court, and government from here to... Athens.” Josef exclaimed, a little shocked by the kings sudden urge to move everything from one place to another.

“And why is that?” Otto replied with a smirk starting to spread across his face. Otto was after all still twenty years of age, and still had a lot of his childish humour and aspects about him. Especially when talking to his chief minister, Josef.

“We just can’t and for one thing it’s closer to the Turks, and that is not a smart move.” Josef sighed, out not yet knowing that was a mistake.

“So now you are calling me un intelligent... I believe it is within my power to have you thrown into a cell.” Otto said in mock seriousness, before relenting with a brief chuckle.
Josef shook his head, a little relieved that the chuckle came. Not quite realising Otto’s sarcasm at first.

“I suggest you go and reacquaint yourself with the act, I’m sure you will find it most agreeable once you take a second look otherwise that cell might just become a reality.” Otto said as he stopped walking and started laughing before glancing toward a door, and then shrugging his shoulders. Otto then motioned dismissively toward Josef, before knocking on the door before slipping inside, that cheeky smirk still on his lips. Josef rose an eyebrow before glancing at the maid who he could just see as his king entered the room, he shook his head and walked off toward his office were he intended to have a look at this act... Again.

Act of Reorganization, reconstruction, and consolidation. Passed 9th of January 1836​

This act outlines the move from Nafpilon to Athens, not the largest city within our realm, but the greatest historically and sentimentally. The court, and government will move there, and the Army will be recalled to Athens. The following will happen. We propose four major points in this act, which will provide greater security to our people from the threat of the Turks, and a stronger economy by expanding our capital, and creating jobs through construction, and wealth creation via the economic changes this will bring.

1. The Army will be reorganized into two Stratos of 12,000 men each. One stationed in each of our border provinces with the Ottoman Turks.
1.A Currently the Army is in two mismatched forces, which would not allow the greatest flexibility if a War happened, by forming two separate forces of equal strength, we create no weak points on the border.

2. We will move the court, and government to Athens, and create it as the center of our glorious kingdom.

3. We will plan, and build, a glorious capital city. Rivaling that of London, Rome, Berlin, and the Turkish capital, by building Universities, hospitals, roads, and houses.

4. We will promote the growth of the intellectual classes, among our population.
4.A This will be done by spending extra money on the growth of the church operated schools. These new people will make Greece a center of innovation in years to come.

Signed King Otto of Greece.
Signed Prime Minister Josef Ludwig von Armansperg.

Excerpt from 'Greece a Modern History of the Hellenes'

On the 24th of January 1836, the first major act passed by Otto and his First Minister was in full swing, the troops had arrived in Athens and had been reorganized into the Stratos Missolonghi, and the Stratos Lamia, each with 12,000 men and ordered to garrison the border with the Turks. Most of the government moving was underway, however it was clear that by putting such strain onto the government by the move things were missed, and problems were starting to arise within the country. These problems would test the king, and his first minister however it was this test that would prove that there friendship would help Greece through it's first real test. Looking at the two maps of Greece printed on the page opposite, you can see the position of the forces after the Act, and the position of Greece within it's locality.

Excerpt from 'Greece a Modern History of the Hellenes'

The only land border which Greece had with another nation was that of the Ottomans, a rather large and terrifying enemy for any small nation. One which will cause problems in the future, however not problems that the Greek resolve can not over come.

Excerpt from 'Stratos - The Early Modern Military of Greece'

The Reorganization of the troops, and there new positions allowed the small but mighty Greek forces to defend a small stretch of land. One might say that Otto was inspired by the ancient battle of Thermompylae and tried to emulate it on a strategic level, by funneling any potential Ottoman troops through the narrowest gap possible.

11th of Febuary 1836, Athens, Greece.

Otto walked around his new palace, admiring the map of Greece, of his kingdom immortalized on the wall. He stepped forward looking at it, before glancing toward the large olive shade of his northern border. The Turks. Before his thoughts could wander that far from reality, Josef strode in. With a great deal of purpose and a look of shock, and confusion on his face. He was holding some papers in his right hand - holding them a bit tightly in fact as his knuckles were turning white - He brought himself to a halt behind Otto, cough once before pushing the papers forward toward Otto who took them and glanced down taking the information in.

"Do you see what's wrong with the latest report from the treasury...We are Bankrupt Otto...Well effectively bankrupt, we are losing fifty one pounds a day, and it isn't getting any better. The National bank is empty, the Rich are... Well dirt poor, and it doesn't look like it's going to be getting any better any soon. We must do something about it." Josef said, explaining the Papers that he had presented to the King. Who only managed to respond by opening his mouth slightly and looking down at the figures.

"Wh-Why didn't we know about this sooner?" Otto demanded, wondering why he had only been informed of the horrid mess his countries economy was in when it was seemingly too late.

Josef responded by saying "Well with the move to Athens, and new offices and so forth. Things haven't really had the close eye they deserved, but we know about it now, and we need to do something about it."

"Well evidently" Otto replied before looking down at the budget again, "What if we raise taxes" he finished.

"Turn to the second page my King, I have already done some estimates on what would happen if we raised taxes to an amount that is extortionate." Josef sighed before raising a hand and rubbing his face idly it would seem the situation was beyond all hope.

"Then we must take a risk" Otto began, "Our largest expenditure is in the armed forces, the Royal Army is rather large however it is required as the Turks are a major threat to our very survival. That being said, what if we cut down on the maintenance costs... Kept the army in shape on the bare minimum, and just raised the money when we needed it if we needed it rather than keeping them on full alert at all times." Otto finished.

Josef thought for a moment, then opened his mouth to speak, "If we also cut back on actual soldiers pay to make up the extra. After all we do need to keep administration and the church happy otherwise who knows what might happen."

Otto nodded happy with what he'd heard. Make it so, and send me the new budget when it's been put forward.

Josef bowed, then stepped back and left a smile on his face. It would appear a Crisis had been averted.

A letter from Josef Ludwig von Armansperg to King Otto.

My King I hope this letter finds you well, I have made the changes you requested but it wasn't enough. I have enclosed a copy of the latest budget and hope it meets your approval. It should fix our problems, but I fear it will create problems. If only our people had enough money to import goods then perhaps we could charge them tariffs, but unfortunately most of our population is... Dirt poor. I have had to make the changes you suggested, and reduce spending in all other areas, and preemptively if the economy does get moving, put a 5% flat rate on tariffs if people make money then they will import goods from the workshops of the world, and we will hopefully get some revenue from that.

Signed Josef Ludwig von Armansperg

--------------------------------------------------------------

So ends the first two months of government. I'm not sure how the chapter/part turned out but once i'm done reading it. I hope you all enjoy, and I hope to get some comments. *Fingers le crossed*

News from the update front. I'll be putting up the next update either later today or early tommorow it'll be covering a longer period of time, and i'll use it to flesh out the characters a little more. I sort of had to rush in some characterization and get it all sorted because well the first month or so of a game are always 'Fixing things' anyway so I just had to get that done before I could really truly start. If the updates not up before 17:00 BST then it'll be tommorow.

Last edited:
It reminds me of my failed Greek AAR; only infinitely superior :D I'm looking forwards to more!

Part II - 1836 A False Diplomatic Crisis

October 15th 1836, Athens, Josef's Office.​

Josef the first minister of the Greek state, stared down at his desk. The Budget reports were in front of him, luckily it was looking better. A small cash reserve - a couple of hundred pounds - had been built up, unfortunately that isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Hell that isn't much in the most un-grand scheme of things. His brain started working, numbers turning in his mind as he contemplated what changes he could make to solve the situation. The economy was after all just dragging it's heels along the bottom. There was no practical growth, nothing to grab onto and take with them forwards. Nothing that will make Greece great like its fore fathers. Drastic action was required...

So he decided, by lowering the taxes even so minutely he would eliminate the gains the economy had made, leaving it to hover along the bottom... However it would give his people a little more spending power, and make the taxes fairer, and a little more palatable. After all he thought, a little spending power, a little import, a little tariff.... The House Always Wins.

November 16th, 1836, Athens, Foreign Ministers office.​

The door creaks open, and a boy of approximately fourteen. Dressed in Royal blue, and a strangely military style uniform walks into the room. Looks around and drops a letter bound with a blue ribbon on the Theodoros' desk. Quickly the boy retreats from the room. Clearly leaving before the Minister might return.

Letter from the Foreign ministry to Josef.​

First minister,

The situation is most dire, the Turks have Allied them selves with the Brits. We will be in a most precarious situation diplomatically, and if it turns to war our navy of three ships couldn't even sink a rowing boat let alone one of the Royal navies warships... Especially if they send one of those new fangled, steam powered things towards us. I've ordered a copy of this letter made, and have sent it to General Sotiris Massos the leader of the Hellenic Army, and the Commander in Chief of the Stratos Lamia. I hope he can come up with some sort of plan just in case this all goes south. I highly doubt it will lead to war, but if the Turks decide to invade we won't stand a chance if the Brits stand by them and land an expeditionary force.

Yours the Foreign minister, Theodoros.

One of many letters from Sotiris Massos to Josef about the Turko-Brit Alliance

First minister,

Upon reading the news that the British have joined the Turks in a military alliance I have drawn up plans that would show what would happen in the event a war broke out. I hope you find the plan most enthralling, I have named it Operation Spartan. After all defense will be futile and we have no real hope of holding the pass, only bloodying there nose. So I propose you inform the Foreign Ministry to stop bothering the under equipped, under strength, and under payed military, and tell them to sort out there problems with the British diplomatically as a military solution will not end well... At... All.

Sotiris Massos.

The Plan of defense of the Greek lands known as the Massos plan or Operation Spartan, was as futile as the leader of the Hellenic Army purportedly claimed in the letters sent between him and the first minister Josef. The Plan called for three lines of defense, The Primary, The Secondary, and the Tertiary. Each line abandoned more land to the Turks, and each defensive line got thinner and smaller. It was an accurate portrayal of what might happen if the Turks invaded with British Support. It also allows us to see just how badly equipped and to what strength the Hellenic Army was after the economic reforms at the start of the year. The 'Act of Rebalancing' As the Budget was called when it was hack and slashed to pay for the expansion of Athens, also led to desertion as many soldiers fled there jobs due to the appalling pay they now received. Even though both of the Groups had full complements of 12,000 men. The soldiers within the country could only sustain 6,000. Meaning in the event of war, there would be -no- reinforcements. A dire situation, almost a crisis.

------------------------------

The End of 1836, and the foreshadowing of what is to come.

Ab Ovo: I hope my Greece won't implode, but it's looking like it might.

Oh no, the UK actually allied itself with Turkey? You're in the UK's sphere!

I assume you're using your National Focus to encourage clergy, and not to increase tension in your northern cores?

Oh no, the UK actually allied itself with Turkey? You're in the UK's sphere!

I assume you're using your National Focus to encourage clergy, and not to increase tension in your northern cores?

I'm not actually worried about a Brit/Turkish death alliance that will wipe me of the face of the earth. Unless I get removed from Britains sphere in which case colour me worried. I just figured that from a story telling perspective (and I am using the historical prime minister Josef (he'll be the only historical one as he was appointed in 1835) who was Bavarian, I figured the current government will be pro Germanic (much like otto was) So i'm going to be befriending Prussia for the most part, at least until Josef is removed and elections come about, but that's a long way of just yet.

Regarding the Clergy, yes I am but the Greek starting situation is dire and it's taking it's time.

4. We will promote the growth of the intellectual classes, among our population.

That was the subtle way of saying promote clergy in Athen :p.

Edit on Update: All things being well the next update will be in T-Minus 5 hours or less

Last edited:
Part III - The Hellenic Trade Company

The Hellenic Trade Company was the greatest advance we made in the first years of my reign. It enabled Greece to trade on the world stage with all the freedom that allowed - King Otto of Greece.

January 9th, Athens, Foreign ministry, Theodoros' Office.

Theodoros was looking over some charts, and diagrams strewn over his desk. Each an interlinking web of alliances between varying nations. He was new to the job, and trying to get the feel of the world outside of Greece. Who liked who, Who hated who, and most of all who pretended to like who but secretly hated that who and wanted to invade.

He grasped the quill on his desk, and started to scratch out a letter. He stopped part way through the letter, and thought how regal, how Byzantine he looked using a quill to scratch out the foreign policy onto a note for a courier. He may have looked Byzantine but he didn't feel it. The regality was only skin deep, as were the Byzantines were the masters of there destiny - Until the Turks crushed them that is - he was no more in control of the grand diplomatic events than Serbia, or Montenegro. The equally small nations around him.

Thinking about it he started to imagine that a treaty between Serbia, and Montenegro an agreement would be able to help protect against Ottoman interests in the area. Then he shook his head, realizing perhaps that Britain and the Turks are more than a match for Serbia, Montengro and the Greeks especially when the Greek army is 24,000 strong and practically useless in any real combat.

Then it struck him, as a smirk came onto his face. He ran his right hand through his hair and again shook his head. Dumbfounded by the possibility that would save Greece.... The possibility of an Alliance with the British Empire.

It was obvious after all, the Greek ambassador in London is after all personal friends with the British Prime Minister, the perfect relationship to quickly get a treaty that would effectively negate the Turkish alliance. Theodoros reached forward and grabbed the letter he had started to write, running his eyes down it before crunching it up and starting afresh with an agreement that might actually be useful.

"Why didn't I see this before" Theodoros muttered under his breath as he started to scratch out the letter on the parchment.

Written orders to the Ambassador to Britain received January 20th

Dear Ambassador,

We are in a dire situation at home, and we believe that greater ties... Economically and Militarily with Britain would be extremely useful. It would also negate the treaty between them and the Turks that worries us so. Please do everything you can, all the connections you have and try to get some accord with the British.

Hellenic Foreign Ministry.

Excerpt from 'Greece a Modern History of the Hellenes'​

On January 26th 1837, a treaty was signed with the British. The Treaty of Athens was the defining point of Theodoros' career. What was rapidly becoming a disaster with the most powerful empire on the planet allying it self with the largest threat to Greece sovereignty, became a godsend. In one fell swoop the treaty effectively negated the Brit-Turko alliance of 1836, and allowed Greece to grow.

A few days later the American ambassador to Egypt publicly discredited the Ottoman Empire to the Egyptian people. Perhaps spurred on by the weakness of the alliance between Britain and the Turks hoping that the Turko-British alliance was not all that cared about in whitehall.

Hellenic Census Records​

The first census of modern Greece was ordered by first minister Josef in March of 1837, it was indeed one of the first census' of the entire modern world. Only possible in a country such as Greece with it's small population. Most of the Aristocrats still resided in Nafplion the old seat of Greece, yet most of the bureaucrats had managed to move to Athens and set up the government as per Ottos wishes. The majority of the Greek population was still Farmers, with a few hundred officers, a few thousand soldiers, and even less clergy. The only real large number of people who were not farms were glass makers, and artisans. Overall the population outlook for the young country was bleak.

Overall in the entire country the percentages of each category of citizens is as follows.

This better shows the conclusions we drew earlier, as a percentage by far the farmers, are the largest part of the Greek economy.

Josef after ordering the census also sent a few men over the border into Turkey, to gauge the nationality and identity of the surrounding region. When they returned they were asked to plot out on a map the rough nationalities of the surrounding area. It was revealed that there were many Greeks beyond the border under Turkish rule... False Rule.

The establishment of the Hellenic Trading company really saved the Greek economy. It allowed Greek farmers to more efficiently sell there produce, and trade it abroad via a trading company set up by Josef and owned by the State which strove to do the best for it's people.

One of the Immediate effects of this, which caused much rejoice around the palace, and government houses. Was the quality of Lamian' cotton was finally recognized on a global level. Giving Greece some prestige among it's neighbors that it otherwise might not have had if it wasn't for the formation of the Hellenic Trade Company.

July 28th, Hellenic Command, Lamia.​

"Massos....Sir" A courier rushed into the room, a note in his hand. Face red and chest heaving.

"You look like you've run a marathon lad... The Persians aren't coming are they?" Massos said in greeting to the courier, laughing under his breath at his 'wit'.

"No...Sir... Worse... I think... Sir" The courier blurts out, looking uneasy already.

Massos strode forward, a tall man, powerfully built, and towering over the poor young courier who suddenly had the note snatched from his hand. Quickly runs his eyes over the words, and and his face drops slightly.

"The Turks are no longer preoccupied with the rather small matter of Tripoli." Massos finally says in his gruff voice. Hand gripping the ceremonial sword strapped to his side. I believe we may be in trouble if the imperialistic nature of the Sultan doesn't look elsewhere. Send word to the other commanders, I want the watches, and patrols along the border doubled. If troops build up I want to know about it, send word to the first minister requesting a little more money as well.

"Yes Sir." escapes the couriers mouth as he snaps into a salute before walking out rather quickly, mind already turning about the prospect of war that Massos thinks is so likely, but with the treaty with the British the Turks wouldn't dare invade... Would they? It would leave them open to attack from the Russians... Wouldn't it?

Excerpt from 'The Motherland: Russia a History'​

In august of 1837 the Russian Empire managed to get military access from the Ottomans the purpose was unknown. Perhaps it was an extension of the great game, perhaps it was a ploy. The reason is and has been unknown why it was given, but what is known is. That it certainly prevented a war between the Russians and the Turks something that is always on the cards.

August, Cabinet meeting, Athens, Greece.​

King Otto sat at the head of the table, with Josef on one side and Massos on the other. There are two other men present, Theodoros from the Foreign office, and Alexandros from the Hellenic Trade Company, also known as the Minister for Trade, Growth, and the Hellenic Navy. The government is small, perhaps smaller than expected however Greece quite literally can't afford lots of officials, so most of the governing is done by Josef, under Ottos authority. With Massos handling all things Military, Alexandros handling trade and the navy, and Theodoros controlling the diplomats, and ambassadors.

The King cleared his throat, before starting off, "With the formation of the Hellenic Trading Company, and Alexandros your appointment as it's owner, and as the minister for Trade and Growth, the Economy has grown. We are making four more pounds a day than before. As percentage our Gross Domestic Product, has increased by... What were the figures again Josef?"

"Well.. Previously we were making approximately four thousand three hundred and eighty pounds worth of product yearly. I'm using the British currency because it is the one that is used in all transactions abroad and probably the best representation of our economy. That has gone up to five thousand one hundred and ten pounds of product a year" A small round of applause from the ministers, and a smile from Alexandros cuts Josef off before he can finish, "Which... if you will allow me to finish is an 18% increase."

Otto nodded in response before making a motion with his hand signaling Josef to shut up so that he might continue.

"As you can see we have a bit more money to spend any suggestions?" As soon as Josef asked his question it became apparent that perhaps it was a mistake. Theodoros started arguing for more money into the bureaucratic elements of the government, Josef wanted more money to be spent on the intellectuals, Alexandros was begging for more ships, so that he could organize more trade and sell more Grecian glass, and grain, and fruit and so forth. Then Massos was calmly pointing out that compared to the Turks the Greek army were effectively armed with nothing more than a pointed stick. The arguments went long into the night, but eventually an agreement was made for the next years budget and on what the government intellectuals would actually be doing.

King Otto stood, finally having had enough of the arguments around him, this instantly signaled for the ministers to be quiet and listen to there king. "So it has been decided? We increase the Adminstrative and the Intellectual budgets by an equal amount bringing them both up by about ten percent. We increase soldiers pay by a small amount but don't purchase any more ships, or equipment as we don't have that sort of disposable income, and we keep taxation at the level it's been since the last budgetary changes," looks down at the notes he's made before looking back up and continuing "We also pay back the two pounds worth of loans we took this year during the move to Athens, and at Theodoros' suggestion and on his head be it we send a delegate to Montenegro to secure an alliance and treaty along with a small gift. Is that agreeable to everybody?" Otto turned his head looking to each Minister as if forcing them to nod before finally saying "Good then it is done, the budget is set for another... Year... Until next time I suppose" The King then turnt and left leaving his government still arguing about what the money could be better spent on.

A few days later on Theodoros office.​

Theodoros is sat at his desk reading a letter, a small chuckle escapes from his lips as he murmurs "Well I never the Montenegro lot actually bought that garbage treaty? I suppose they might come in useful one day"

--------------------------------------

I wasn't sure were to end this chapter, I think there is good. It looks like I'm doing around a year an update or so. I think that's because I'm not a fan of big long updates, but I also hate short updates equally. Could some nice soul please come and comment on the length of the updates, are they just right or should they be longer... shorter, constructive criticism and all that jazz ;)

COMING SOON A special Victoria coronation special edition update

Last edited:
A year-long update seems about right. I'm looking forward to the next update :) .

Heh well I like the length of the updates! I will be cheering on for Greece to expand to its full extent!

I'll keep to doing them how I am then (which is improvising how long they are and sorta ending up doing a year ish)

A year-long update seems about right. I'm looking forward to the next update :) .

Goods news and bad news... Good news there's probably going to be an update tonight the bad news is it's going to be an interlude and it's a fun little excursion to the merry old land of England.

This looks very nice, so far. Greece should be quite interesting in HoD, with the new crisis system.

One minor historical note I feel I should make is that the Greek navy already had experience with steam-powered warships, having been the first navy to use one in battle (the Karteria, but it was no longer active by 1836).

This looks very nice, so far. Greece should be quite interesting in HoD, with the new crisis system.

One minor historical note I feel I should make is that the Greek navy already had experience with steam-powered warships, having been the first navy to use one in battle (the Karteria, but it was no longer active by 1836).

That is so useful you don't even know. I sort of assumed from a military technology level that Greece doesn't even have clipper tech so that must be accurate right.... Apparently not >.>

Edit, reading it it looks like while Greece had operated what is effectively a commerce raider. They didn't have the ship building capacity and it was built and designed by the British. (I only skimmed the link you sent so correct me if I am wrong) so perhaps I might mod in an event to buy some replacements or maybe mod in the tech for it. Although it is a bit late for that and it'd feel rather gamey to me.

Interlude I - A very Victorian Coronation

Before I start this i'd just like to say that it's going to have a very tiny amount relevant to the actual play through, but it's mostly so I can get my writing on, that being said I have no idea how long it's going to be i'm writing it as I go, and i'm not a fan of drawing things out too much I really do like to get on. It's shorter than I intended but that's only because well.... Guiltily I lost interest part way through. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A very Victorian interlude.

1st of June 1838, Athens, the Royal Palace.

King Otto Wittelsbach, the first king of Greece - or if his full title was required: His Majesty Othon the First, by the Grace of God, King of Greece, Prince of Bavaria - was sat in the rather uncomfortable desk chair in his 'office'. It was referred to as the Kings Office, but it rarely saw any official work, the occasional maid getting waylaid and the odd letter was all it dealt with in truth. The mahogany desk glistened as the sun poured through the crystal glass of the nearby window and one such letter was resting on the desk. Creased from the journey, and more a polite courtesy than anything else, it was an invitation, not just any invitation, an invitation to Victorias coronation.

The invitation was small, folded neatly in three places and simply worded. Simple enough for even Otto to understand. With it there was an accompanying letter stating very little of relevance and mostly all the necessary British polities. Looking down at the invitation Otto smiled, as he remembered that this Victoria was young, apparently beautiful - at least according to some paintings of her - and very much un married... With that in mind he decided that he would attend the coronation even if it might become his funeral.

Some Weeks Later, on the HTA. Leda [1]

The young king clutched the bar on the side of the ship, hurling over every last morsel of his break fast. The crew struggled between politely not looking, and staring in astonishment as the incredibly calm waters with barely a wave in sight stirred such a reaction from the young man. They thought it was fine a few days previously when it was incredibly stormy weather, for even the most seasoned sailor that was a sickening storm but today?. It was the calmest days sailing many of them had ever seen, yet there was the Kings breakfast calmly sinking - and in some cases floating - past the French Algerian coast.

June 28th, Westminster, The Heart of the British Empire.

The abbey floor was hidden from view, the old stone scratched from many years serving as a pathway was covered in cloth, the bright purple and red the most regal of colors brightening the room. Matching perfectly with the crimson, and gold drapes hanging down arching across the ceiling. Even the rows of life guards, in the perfect, British military dress stood tall, each looking like they could rip apart the Hellenic navy with there bare hands, and then annihilate the army afterwards. Britain was powerful, and this ceremony proved it. The cloth of gold all around shone but not nearly as bright as the altar, the 'gold plate' lit the place up.

It was a spectacle, something that the Greek king would probably never see again in his life. Astonished, and outshone by everyone present. He had spent a good deal of the Grecian treasury acquiring clothes for his arrival hoping to not outshine the young queen, but to outshine every other man present. That unfortunately did not happen. Those that were not in perfectly pressed military uniforms, with sashes, medals, and plumes were in official state dress, coated from head to toe in diamonds, rubies, sapphires, fine silks. Items that even with the money Otto managed to spend could not hope to emulate. The sun shone back from each gem that adorned the peers and peeresses of the hall. Illuminating the room like a thousand rainbows, each man stood beside his wife who quite literally shone. Even the men wore extravagant amounts of jewels. As Otto looked around he saw the some Prince, who appeared to have diamonds on the heels of his boots. Otto rose an eyebrow and realized how he looked like the token pauper who had been invited, gawping at all those rich and far above his station.

Then the music played, the trumpets blared and it all begin. The Queens procession moved down the Nave in all the glory deserving of her, one might even compare it to a Roman Triumph. Princes and Nobles of far greater standing than Otto, joined her as she made her way forward. They did not however join her as equals but they bore the regalia, bore the trail. Those of highest standing were made to look like servants below the British Queen, a true diplomatic gesture showing of the countries greatness. Then it struck Otto. Victoria was tiny, incredibly short with the narrowest waist imaginable - although that was mostly down to his imagination as her clothes left almost everything to the imagination - yet despite her fairness, her beauty, and her rather lacking stature she carried her self not like a queen but like an empress. The two bishops beside her clad in purple, the imperial color, and the procession seemed to go on for ever as the ladies of rank followed her through.

King Otto was unfortunately placed beside the Turkish ambassador, as he was the representative of the Sultan and as he and the Greek King were both allies of Britain they had seating beside one another. Who came up with the seating arrangement however obviously lacked a little foresight, luckily for the planner the Turkish ambassador was so heavily struck by the splendor he fainted. Otto couldn't help but let a chuckle escape his lips at this event and struggled to keep a straight face throughout the rest of proceedings.

Then came then singing, the recognition, the anointing and it was over. Otto still dumbfounded by the splendor, and upon discovering he was not invited to the coronation dinner. Left a little affronted a little upset, but first he met an artist who was busy beginning work on the coronation portrait of the young queen. Upon glancing at the artwork he shook his head, before heading back intending on returning home... To Greece, to normality.

Queen-Vic-coronation.gif

Vivat Victoria Regina

Authors Note

[1] - HTC. Stands for Hellenic Trade Company, and is the prefix used for the national maritime trade fleet, and the two military vessels currently in service.

Nice update! I feel rather sorry for poor Otto, outshone by everyone around him.

Thank god someone likes it. I am probably over criticizing my own work, but i'm really not a fan of how I wrote that looking back :p.

I like how despite being fully taxed, about 3/4 of your rich pops can still get all their luxury needs.... And that you're getting half a pound out of them :p

Part IV - The Liberation of Crete Part I

Sometimes a war can be fought with swords, sometimes with ships, and sometimes with words. A war with Greece involves none of those things, they run if you draw a sword, they call the British if your fleet leaves port, and there diplomats do not speak a civilized tongue. They are cowards not fit for war - The Egyptian Ambassador in Montenegro

June 31st 1838, Greece, Athens, King Ottos Palace.​

"Josef, I am growing tired of your games. Crete will be ours, it's population is Greek so tell me why can we not rule it?" Otto said to the quivering Bavarian stood before him.

"It's... Egyptian your majesty" Josef replied, hoping that the obvious might sate Otto's questions.

"I know it is Egyptian but it will not be for much longer, if you value your office, your pay, and your life you will get Vassos and Alexandros to draw up plans to- to invade. You will also tell our Ambassador in Britain to gauge support to see if that Melbourne will support an invasion." Otto shouted, a little too loud as the glass of water on his desk vibrated a little bit in rhythm to his anger.

"Bu-bu sir they have more ships, and more soldiers than us it is doomed from the start" Josef stuttered out, genuinely reaching the point were the boy he controlled as regent was finally realizing the glory of an absolute monarchy.

"Do you question me?" was all that Otto said, quiet, and seething, a question that would perhaps be left unanswered.

Josef bowed his head, and took a step back wards muttering something under his breath about how the British were right to ignore such a pompous ass.

May 21st 1838, Lamia, General Vassos planning meeting.​

"Welcome Josef, I here you want to talk to me about some military plan that needs to be drawn up?" Vassos said as he stood up from his desk, dressed in full military regalia and sabre rattling as he moved.

"Yes, yes I do." Josef replied as he took Vassos hand in greeting.

"Well speak up what is it?" Vassos asked after waiting a moment, realizing that Josef didn't really seem that interested.

"War" Josef replied with a single solitary word.

"With whom exactly?" Vassos tried to get more information, but it was like getting blood from a stone.

"The Egyptians." Josef said slowly, emphasizing the target of the military adventurism.

"They are invading us? Why haven't I been told... How many, any cannon?" Vasoss said raising an eyebrow, hand instinctively dropping to the obsolete weapon of choice.

"No, no you have it all wrong, we are invading them" Josef clarifies, hoping to calm Vassos down.

"Bloody hell why?" did not calm down.

"The King wills it" Josef, sarcastically responds shaking his head as if that was not an adequete reason.

Vassos' head tips in agreement, "You can't dissuade him from this folly?" he then asked.

"Not if I value my job, my neck, and my money," replied using all the statesmanship in the world, turning what would be a threat into a piece of repetition.

"That appears to be a no." Vassos murmered under his breath head tilting to one side as he thought.

"So whats the plan?" Josef asked trying to break Vassos out of his thought.

"Well we'll need more ships, I suggest you talk to Alexandros Pangalos about that though... You know the person in charge of the Hellenic Trade Company."

"I see, Alexandros is on his way here he should arrive any second now." Josef said, as he looked toward the door hoping that it would be a literal second.

Vassos joined Josef gazing at the door, before looking at the map of Greece drawn out on the table and the overview of the soldiers, and armies and ships that are under Hellenic command. As his head turned away from the door it opened, and in stepped Alexandros. Long shaggy hair hanging down roughly shoulder length, not at all the neat, appearance of Josef or Vassos.

"So what's this meeting about?" Alexandros asked as he stepped forward wondering why he had been called to Lamia of all places. Stepping forward hand extended to shake both of his fellow ministers.

"War" Vassos, and Josef said in unison, both deep in thought.

"With who?" Alexandros asked raising an eyebrow shocked.

"The Egyptians" Josef replied, noting the repetition of the conversation.

"We've been invaded... Why haven't I been told, do they have any ships blockading Corinth?" Quickly spurted out.

Josef sighed before explaining the situation in full, the conversation following the exact same lines of questioning as the previous one. Eventually Alexandros said something worthy of note.

"I'll order a new ship to be laid down, we'll need all the transports we can get. Sotiris you come up with a plan and get six thousand men detached from the Garrison force, we can transport them over to Crete and make a landing. Hopefully we can persuade the Brits to keep the Egyptian navy of our backs long enough to get there." Alexandros explaining outlining a very quickly organized plan in his mind.

"Indeed," Vassos started with before turning and adding "You bring the ships, i'll bring the men... Josef brings the money... Sorted?"

The meeting ended there, they all nodded shook hands and left, all thinking the same thing. 'Why'.

On May 28th 1838 a ship was laid down in the Corinth shipyard under the provisional name HTC. Apollo, it was a lightly armed clipper designed to help transport marines and soldiers across the waves. It was the only addition to the Hellenic Trade Fleet that was really affordable, to the state at the time.

In preparation for war, the garrisons of Lamia, and Missolonghi were left under Sotiris Vassos' brother and both gave Sotiris 3,000 of there best men. Which marched to Corinth and became the Stratos Marine.

This was in preparation of what Alexandros Pangalos called 'Operation Kartira' in honor of the ship the British provided during the war with the Turks. It was a simple plan, the British fleet would prevent the Egyptian ships moving out of port, and the 6,000 men of the marines and the only trained, at full strength units within the Hellenic army would land on Crete prepare a landing zone, and occupy it. Once all of Crete accepted Greek governance, Egypt would hopefully surrender control of the land. After all ownership is 9/10ths the law.

In late October, the fleet was brought together. The two frigates HTC, Amalia and Loudovikos. Small but with a good crew and good (British made) cannon, and the two clippers HTC, Apollo and Leda. The fleet commanded by Alexandros Pangalos personally was effectively the Hellenics Trade Company ship roster, however it would soon be seen that it was an efficient fighting force as well.

Excerpt from Crete: A military success, an Economical blunder, and a bloodless war.​

On November twelfth a state of war was announced between the Kingdom of Greece, and Egpyt, the reason was the liberation of those Greek people that lived under Egyptian sovereignty. The war is known by most Greek citizens even today, as the first war Greece fought as the aggressor, and the first moment that showed the world that Greece, could be on the rise.

A day later on November 13th, the foreign minister of Montenegro stated that 'while it saw Greeces goal as worthy, and the war just, the Treaty that they had signed was one of defense not of mutual assistance as such they would not be assisting Grecian efforts.' This was no problem for the Greeks as they had not counted on, or even required the assistance of the Montenegrin people was still refused, and a grudge born.

One the 14th the British minister, approved the plan the Greeks put forward, and promised British assistance. However unforeseen circumstances ignored by the Greeks may well jeopardize this venture. What the whole Greek government missed was the war raging in Europe, Prussia, and the Netherlands, fighting Belgium and the British. Britain was already stretched, and while it has promised assistance it may not actually be in a position to give it.

The war however would have a grave cost on the economy, and it was visible from the 28th of November when the money required by the Hellenic armed forces was finally approved and put through.

and on January sixth of the new year 1839 the cash reserves were gone. The economy was in a mess and it wasn't looking good.

Luckily however to detract from the bad news of the economy, the first landings on Crete were finally made. The Marines were able to set up a few small bases and began occupying the territory in full.

To try and get some money, although it was an exercise in futility the Greek Admiral Pangalos ordered his navy to blockade Alexandria to try and steal any Egyptian shipping going through the lanes.

and on the 17th of January King Otto did something reckless, that left the country open to destruction. He disbanded the armies of Lamia and Misslonghi to save a little money. With Vassos in Crete and Pangalos sinking ships, no one was able to oppose him. Save Josef who saw the economic advantage and didn't much care for the Jingoism of the King. This act did leave the entire Northern border open to attack. Something King Otto must have realized.

-----------------------------------------
Authors Notes

I originally intended to do the war in one update, but it was getting rather long and decided to split it in two.

I'm probably going to do some letters, diary entries to have some more narrative explanation of the war but they'll be interlude and not as a main update. I went with using the history book for the war, as it made it flow a bit better (not great but better).

I've played up to 1850, and i've got an update ready for tommorow finishing the war with Egypt. Then i'll be doing a peace time update covering 1841 to 1845. Then a yearly update for 1846 and 47. Then 48, and 49 will probably share an update. So the plan is as follows

Egypt part II tommorow
peace time update late tommorow/early friday
Year updates 46, 47 friday and saturday
Sunday 48 and 49.

Then i'll have to play some more.

Last edited:
Awesome AAR, much better quality than mine. I am will be following this.

I disagree we just have different styles. Also I tried doing the heavenly kingdom in a test game, and found it impossible to even get a white peace hehe.

Part V - A bloodless war ends.

The war with Egypt gave us all the confidence to make Greece great again - King Otto Wittelsbach of Greece.​

Excerpt from 'Stratos - The Early Modern Military of Greece'​

In late January of 1839 the Hellenic ships were recalled to Corinth due to the complete danger posed by the Egyptian fleet that had returned from landing troops on Gibraltar. It was decided that a naval engagement was too risky despite almost equal numbers of combat ships. It was also done so that the maintenance costs of the ships could be reduced helping to lower the danger of the economy flat lining further.

Excerpt from 'The war in Europe 1839'​

Despite being the worlds greatest power, the war between Britain, Belgium, and Prussia didn't see much British involvement. There was a single landing done in Prussia, by 27,000 men.

There was also a blockade of the Baltic.

The main consequence of the British actions meant no force or ships were available to assist the Greeks in the Liberation of Crete as they were distracted by the Prussians.

October 1st 1839, Hellenic War Cabinet meeting, The Palace in Athens.

Otto stood at the head of the table looking over the map of Crete stretched out before him, he started to shake his head before shooting disapproving looks at the advisers around him. Sotiris Vassos had returned to attend the meeting, Josef was there as the first minister, Alexandros was present to represent the Navy, and there was a scribe taking notes.

"Why is it not ours... Why has it not been pacified, they are Greek, surely they must accept our rule?" Otto asked, knowing that there was an underlying reason and just trying to get it out of Vassos.

"Yes, they do sir... It's slow going to make sure the entirety of the island is clear with only 6 thousand troops though your majesty." Vassos claimed as if it was obvious it was going to be slow.

"That is evident Sotiris... So you need more men?" Otto calmly asked the soldier stood before him, looking into his eyes to see any sense of fear.

"Yes sir, yes I do." Vassos replied, as he returned the gaze not shrinking under Ottos look.

"Josef what happened to the men?" Otto turned his head toward the other man, as if he was discovering all of this for the first time.

"We disbanded them sir, sent them home." Josef looked up, a little uneasy as he answered the question.

No one said anything for a while, the silence filled the room as Vassos finally realized where this was all going.

"Why?" Otto returned with a single, solitary word, breaking the silence.

"They cost us too much money sir." Josef finally responded after thinking of the best way to word the answer.

Otto turned his head and smiled at Vassos, "As you can see Sotiris," Otto paused for a moment, then the smile turned to displeasure and he shouted "There are no more men!"

Vassos waited, to ensure that no more shouting was going to be produced from Otto's rather capable vocal chords then he opened his mouth, slowly, hoping this would not produce another response like it did before. "Sir... We could mobilize... The peasants they will make things go a little faster."

"Won't that cost even more money?" Otto visibly seething with anger, whether that was from the fact he had not realized this possible, or was taking the economic factor into account was unclear. What was abundantly clear however was his anger.

"Yes, but it will make things go quicker and then Crete shall be ours." Vassos gambled with a reply, hoping that the promise of a quicker occupation might abate the King.

"Josef is it possible?" It did abate him, as he turned his deathly, anger filled gaze toward Josef.

"I believe so sir." Josef nodded, knowing that speed would save money in the long term.

"Alexandros can you get the mobilized men to Crete?" Otto turned his head once more, finally acknowledging the Naval Commanders presence, as he asked about the logistics of the situation.

Alexandros looked down at the map, gauging the distance between Corinth, and the landing point on Crete and how far away the Egyptian Navy was likely to be. Then he opened his mouth and responded "I should be able to, it'll be a close run thing but I reckon we can."

"Then make it so." was all that Otto said, growing tired of the meeting.

Heads nodded, as Josef looked up from the notes he had been writing the whole while. He then opened his mouth, then closed it and looked at Otto as if asking for the right to speak.

Otto gave a lone nod, before tilting his head to see what the first minister thought was worthy to say.

"I'll send out the orders to the marshals of each region and see if we can get some men, I'll order them to gather in Corinth in preparation of transport." Was the first ministers addition to the meeting.

"Shouldn't I be sending word to the Marshals, after all I am the chief of the army?" Vassos raised an eyebrow a little upset, that his job was effectively being stolen by Josef.

"Yes but you are going back to Crete to pacify the peasants over there are you not?" Josef tutted, before pointing out the obvious.

"I suppose" Vassos said resignedly.

More heads nodded then Otto stood, and dismissed them now that a decision had been reached and it was Vassos' idea if something went wrong he had someone to blame for the mess.

Excerpt from Crete: A military success, an Economical blunder, and a bloodless war.​

On October 20th, the orders from the Hellenic War Council were received to mobilize the reserves. The Marshals of each region scrounged together what men they could, it was estimated that 6,000 extra men would find there way to Corinth ready to be transported to Crete. Analyzing the need to mobilize, if the under strength men from the Lamia and Missolonghi armies were not disbanded but were instead used to aid the occupation the war would have been over far far sooner.

In the mid part of 1839, and during the war with Crete the first minister of the Hellenic government Josef Ludwig von Armansperg and the King, in coordination with Alexandros came up with an idea. They determined that by ripping out the boilers, from the Karteria - a warship built by the British for the Greeks that was decommissioned in 1835, and in storage by 1836 - then giving them to the Athens Royal Academy of Learning which had recently been constructed. Some practical steam engines could be devised which would aid farming, and mining, and possibly be suitable for ships in the future.

On December 4th, after running rings around the Egyptian Navy, the mobilized forces arrived on Crete. once they received orders from Sotiris Vassos the chief of the army, and the occupation force. They began to speed up the pacification by 100%. By the end of December 1839 Iraklion, the first province of Crete was fully occupied and under de facto Grecian control. The Combined force then moved west to occupy the other half.

A few months later, March 1840 Crete was occupied in its entirety and was effectively Greek. Now all that had to happen was Egypt to recognise that it had lost control of Crete.

The occupation of Chania took far less time than that of Iraklion, this mostly due to the aid from the Mobilized reserves.

In Late March the decision was made to demobilize the reserves and return them home. This however came at a cost, they returned with some strange Egyptian flu, causing an pandemic to sweep the country. Due to a lack of money, the government couldn't do anything to prevent it's spread and could only watch in horror as people dropped dead, corpses were piled high and burnt, and black crosses painted on peoples doors. The country became almost medieval as it was wracked with the disease.

Josef Ludwig Von Armansperg's office, Athens, Greece, May 1840​

Josef was sat at his desk, writing. He had received word from the King that with the Occupation in Crete it was time to deal with the horrific amount of debt that had been built up. He glanced down again at the document beside him, with the totals and the lenders, reminding him of the economic failure this war was.

Hopefully the reward would be worth it. Hopefully it would be worth disbanding the majority of the standing forces. Hopefully worth crippling the effectiveness of the Hellenic Armed Forces. Josef shook his head, he couldn't see the worth of it all, he was almost a pacifist he understood the need for war in defense, but he didn't understand why liberating Crete would help them, it was just more poor farmers to look after... Wasn't it?

He started to draw up an emergency spending plan, titled 'The Occupation Budget' it was to build up the money to pay back the lenders, at the expense of the military because it was clear the Egyptians didn't care or were not even able to stage a task force to retake Crete. So he lowered all military spending, and only left a small amount to construction to help fund the railways British investors thought would be a nice addition to a useless island.

The plan didn't change taxation, as that was only possible with the yearly budget it did however change spending which could be done on the fly... Assuming you had the monarchs approval.

In early July Britain was no longer distracted with Prussia, and decided to honor it's obligations n helping to take Crete it was decided an Expeditionary force would land in Egypt and force them to accept Greek Sovereignty of the island.

By October the British had occupied a small strip of coast line, but it wasn't enough to force the Egyptians hand.

As By late October the Egyptians marched an Army from Alexandria into the British occupied coastline they had effectively moved around the British force and started to retake the landing strip, leaving the British stranded without supplies.

By the end of November the Egyptians left the Coastline, and returned to Cairo, perhaps the government was slowly coming to terms with what had happened.

By the end of 1840, the war was all but resolved, then on January 25th the Egyptians accepted that they could no longer hope to regain Crete, and sent an envoy to London to discuss the terms of there surrender of Crete. It was decided that the De-facto Greek governance of Crete would become permanent and the state of war would be over, also Truce was drawn up in which Egypt could not legally declare war on Greece for the island.

And thus Crete was liberated, without a single battle being fought but a lot of economic cost to both the Egyptians and the Greeks, a time of recovery and consolidation was needed. Would Otto accept that however?

----------------------------------------------

Special thanks to Selzro for the mention of Karteria it gave me an idea on how to explain away researching steam engines when apparantly we already had steam ships, despite the game not giving them to us....

I'll be putting up Update six later today or tommorow, and that's going to be covering 41-45