• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope this continues soon because I finally finished catching up with it and I want more. More Greeks, more crises, and more of the underdog winning.

Hi leviathan.

It has been a real pleasure to read your AAR. You perfectly integrated IG screenshots into your characters-based narration, which makes it unique.

I'm please to announce that I've chosen your AAR as Best Character Writer of the Week Award.

Please continue to delight us with your style and your reports!

Cheers!

Part X - Peace... This isn't going to last long is it?

Excerpt from 'Greece a Modern History of the Hellenes'

The Greek government had an epiphany around 1850, they realized that sending diplomatic envoys to other countries than britain for more than just declarations of war was perhaps a good idea. So the decision was made to send an envoy first to the capital of the ottoman empire and then to St. Petersburg the Capital of the Russian Empire. The Twin purpose of these so called 'Permanent envoys' was to set up a diplomatic center in these countries and an embassy with the overall mission of increasing relations so that no surprises were to be had.

February 5th, 1850, the royal palace in Athens.

Alexandros walked into the Kings Royal chamber, looking a little uneasy as his long unkept hair looked a little out of place in the neat, and tidy chambers of the Palace. The attendants and servants that surrounded the king almost seemed affronted by the Admirals appearance. None however had the courage required to mention it the sword hanging from Alexandros hip easilly dissuaded from that.

Otto raised himself up to his feet and began to speak 'Come... Come in' he said as he beckoned Pangalos closer before continuing 'I hear you have a suggestion or news or something for me?'

Pangalos took a few careful steps forward before nodding slowly, 'yes... yes I do'

Ottos tone changed suddenly as his body stiffened 'Well if you are going to suggest to me how I am to run my country I suggest you hurry up and do it'

The captain mindful of his place bowed his head and then slowly began explaining how Athens was without a port, the grave price this was paying to the economy. Then he continued the colonies in the east were having to use the British port of Singapore to ship anything and this was not the best for Greek interests. Then he concluded rather strongly that perhaps it would be an idea for two new ports to be built in these locations, while a costly endeavor it would surely be worth it.

Otto smiled, pleased it would seem. 'You once again out stand me with your forward thinking Pangalos' he then turned his head towards a scribe perched nearby 'send a not to the treasury and make the necessary funds available to the admiralty'

Pangalos bowed his head, thanking the king before backing out slowly showing exactly the right amount of reverence and fear of there 'glorious' leader'

Copy of the plans for the Naval base in Johore almost exactly the same in design as the one to be built in Athens.

Written order sent to all Army Commanders

All units are to march to the army base in Athens to prepare for reformation of structure and preparation of assignments.

Signed February year of our lord 1850 - Glory to the King

Newspaper article dates march 21st 1850

Today Hellenic Rail have opened there doors following recent technological breakthroughs the king has created a royal commission formalizing the creation of the company. Under government control it will eventually provide rail services to the whole country, and our colonies. However they are still creating experimental rail roads in preparation for future major railroad building programs.

The romantic notions that had been seen in art soon spread to literature, a sudden flood of these romanticist novels flooded the country as foreign soldiers deserted the armies and found themselves in France. These foreign ideas (mostly French) soon stuck with the Hellenic populace and then every aspiring gentlemen and lady was engrossed in these novels.

Not long after the Romanticist birth, flu spread across the country killing many the government chose to pump as much money as possible into medical research in the hope that this would not happen again and that support was given to those that needed it.

Copy of the Peace treaty of Vienna 1850

The region of Tripoli currently under sovereign rule of the Ottoman empire will hereby be ceded in full to it's occupier the French Republic.

The region of Bosnia currently under the jurisdiction of both the Prussian and Austrian governments yet under sovereign rule of the Ottoman empire will be ceded in full to Austria over the period of two weeks for adjustment. Prussia will be payed war reparations by Britain, and Britain may not expand its navy or armed forces for a period of five years.

When the peace was made between the major powers of the world it came as no surprise that the Greek kingdom once again began to expand it's military. Using it's now strengthened economy and the numerous captured ports it was decided two new men of war would be laid down as flagships, and principle warships of the Hellenic Navy. They began construction in June 1851 and were not expected to be complete for almost a year.

Newspaper article dated February 16th 1852

The Killer that struck down so many, the flu that destroyed families sand stole lives far deadlier than any war we have fought can now be fought. The weapons not guns or cannons but medicines and doctors. Today the Royal hospital of Athens has opened it's doors, a revolution in medical care for every man woman and child within this country. Science has never been so readily available to the common man till now.

This would not have been possible without the leadership of our king, and our countries glorious rise to prominence and the benefits that has brought economically, technologically, and politically. Greece has never been greater than it is today.

A letter from the Spanish envoy to Greece - March 29th 1852

We dutifully request the following - Greek Sicily be returned to it's rightful owner the Kingdom of Naples with a great deal of speed. The kingdom of Naples as it is now known should be returned to it's glory as the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.

We hope you will follow the correct course of action regarding this.

A speech given by the Russian Tsar two days later

I as Tsar of the Russian Empire have decided to speak on behalf of our friends the Greek Peoples. They rule with dignity and honesty, and are worthy of the islands they have claimed by trial of combat. The People of Naples were not able to protect there citizens and they have payed the heaviest of prices, we will forever stand by the peoples of the Hellenes.

Official French Response a week after Spains declaration of intent.

The French Republic stands by it's allies the Russian Empire, and will not tolerate the adventurism of the Spanish government, meddling in the affairs of those that it need not concern it self with.

Tsars palace, St. Petersburg, late April 1852.
The Greek envoy slowly walked forwards, the opulence of the Russian palace far greater than anything he had ever seen. The Impressive colors, the guard dressed so perfectly in the crisp uniforms so befitting of there station.

He eventually reached the point were he had to bow and drop to a knee. Showing the respect that the Tsar of one of the most powerful countries in the world deserves.

'Sir, it is an honor to be conveying this message to you. My King Otto has requested me to personally thank you for your speech regarding the situation regarding the Spanish, and would like to extend his thanks through me as his servant'

The Tsar chuckled for a moment before beggining to speak. 'Da, do not worry we do what we do for the good of Russia and her people, and the good of our friends. It is honor to stand beside those who so bravely stood against innumerable odds against zie Ottomans. Now begone I have business to attend to'

The Russian's Tsars English a rather confusing blend of accent and Russian. However it served as a good medium, and most rulers and countries use it when speaking internationally. It is better than a translator and seems a little more naturally. He dismissively waved at the Envoy who bowed his head once more and backed away leaving the Russian Tsar to his business.

Excerpt from 'History of Hellenic Medicines'

In June of 1852 the doctors and scientists of the Royal Athenian Hospital discovered a technique that could give a degree of protection against the Malaria mosquito that was common in the tropics. Making Africa almost within reach of Greek colonial ambitions.

Despite late support from the Prussian government in July of 1852.

The Spanish still decided to drop the demands found within there declaration of intent, accepting an offer from the Russian government to make no changes what so ever before this conflict turned from Diplomatic to Military in nature.

Following this the Greek envoy in Russian enjoyed a lot of popularity among the Russian officials putting relations between the two countries at an all time high.

The remainder of the year was a golden age relations between Greece and Russia steadily increasing and the economy growing. This was shown when in early 1853 Greece was seen as a great power of the world.

Then this all changed Naples not happy with the result the Spanish government had achieved for it declared war on the 26th of July 1853.

-------------------------------------------
Update is finally here, update 11 should be tomorrow or the day after. I am going to be honest this isn't my most favorite update I've written I think I've ballsed the formatting up but it should be fine.

Last edited:
Greece, a great power? What madness is this? Whose spot did you get? Nice job either way and I'm looking forward to you throwing your weight around the Mediterranean.

If I recall it was the Ottomans and currently in game I think i'm position 4 but that's quite a bit after this update.

Cut the United Kingdom down to size? Sweet! Oh, that's right, they're backing you up ... oh dear. But since you're a GP now that shouldn't matter, right? One thing I really like about V2 is that there's always the 'final boss' called the UK to defeat, so I hope this turn of events will help stir up some global tumult in your game.

And it's such a shame that the first crisis to involve you happens to be an attempt to take your stuff, but it's a good thing you managed to get out of it without setting off a great war. Now go spank Naples and return them to the Greek fold. And since you've been named Character Writer of the Week, I hope you live up to it by writing more narrative and dialogue - the 'newspaper excerpts' format, using screenshots and descriptions without elaboration is probably what's making the update feel less satisfying.

The glory that is Greece lives! I'm still working my way through this AAR, but I wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying it.

Would have been better to have that war happen for the crisis :p

Tha place being an Island, I guess it's just a matter of who the UK supports.