• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

daredevilbob

Sergeant
4 Badges
Oct 12, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
An AOD 1.08 Normal/Normal Nationalist Spain GC
I’ve had a few runs with Nationalist Spain to get used to the changes from HOI2 and figured I’d start a new game and make an AAR out of it. I may get steam rolled, but we’ll see what happens. Here we go!

The Spanish Civil War (1936–) broke out with a military uprising in Morocco on July 17, triggered by events in Madrid. Within days, Spain was divided in two: a "Republican" or "Loyalist" Spain consisting of the Second Spanish Republic (within which were pockets of revolutionary anarchism and Trotskyism) and a "Nationalist" Spain under the insurgent generals, and, eventually, under the leadership of General Francisco Franco. So begins an important and turbulent chapter in the history of Spain.
Here is the division as it stands on July 17th, 1936.

87332430.jpg

97007102.jpg

The situation isn’t great. The Republicans hold Madrid and have 13 divisions holding it. We have a division in Barcelona fighting and a handful of others scattered around our territory. We have 6 divisions (5 mil and 1 inf) that will arrive in Seville on July 18th plus 3 more militia that will be available for placement where I need them. I anticipate (hope) Italy and Germany will support my (fascist) cause. The primary thrust will be at Madrid and I will move my forces in position around the capital. Secondary, I will move my 1 inf from Bilbao to Huesca and retreat from Barcelona to Huesca to reorganize in support of an amphib operation on Barcelona. Once I take Barcelona, I will roll down through Tarragona where I will dig in. I am hoping to be able to herd the Republican army into Albacete and finally annex them.
Here is the initial battle plan. Like most plans, I am sure it will only last until contact is made with the enemy.

56304914.jpg

I need this war over as quickly and with the least casualties as possible. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I've never seen a Spanish AAR before. Subscribed.

If it's possible, could you leave the screenshots in their original size? But if you're playing from a laptop and don't want the screenshots to be larger then the screen, it's good as it is. :)

Thankyou! :D

Well, things have not worked out as I had hoped, but we’re making some progress.

32828618.jpg

I was able to sweep up from Seville as planned and assault and occupy Madrid and Guadalajara. My lines in the south and east crumbled, but I’m working on stabilizing them. I conducted an amphib op on Tarragona taking the province and then turned on Barcelona, also winning. I will (hopefully) roll up through Huesca and retake Bilbao with a combined amphib op. From there I will head back down through Saragossa and drive them down into Castelion. I am assaulting Albacete (which I should win) and will move the Italians and Germans into the province to support an armor attack on Murcia. I have 5 divisions in Badajoz that I am moving to Guadalajara to support the final assault on Valencia (hopefully ending the war). Seville is in danger of being lost, so I need to shore up that line immediately. Once I get into Albacete I can launch preemptive attacks on the Republicans to keep them from mounting an offensive on Seville until I can get my force reorganized and dug in.
The economy is going to be a mess when this is finished, but I can’t let myself think about that now. I need to focus on finishing this thing!

By the end of September, with our men wading onto the beaches of Bilbao, all of the economic and population centers of Spain were under Nationalist control ending the bloody conflict.

42109070.jpg

Our nation is essentially fubar. It's going to take a lot of time and resources to rebuild our economy.

86741031.jpg

We need help and look to our idealogical partner, Germany. Their expertise and support will be put to great use.

43485794.jpg

With one of the bloodiest conflicts in Spanich history over with, it's time to think about the future. Spain will rebuild her lost empire, but it's going to take time. We will need a navy which can stand toe to toe with Britain. There is no way we can match them with battleships, so we turn to the untried concept of airpower at sea, and start researching aircraft carriers. We have high hopes that carriers will become the decisive weapons at sea and want to be on the forefront of this technology.

A strong navy will require a good supply of oil to feed it. Though weary from civil war, we turn to former spanish territory to resolve this issue.

74519764.jpg

The conflict was pretty straight forward and caused us no issue (other than more spanish dead). On January 1st 1937, Venezuella was absorbed into the new Spanish empire.

40005140.jpg

With the events of 1936 behind us, we settle in and turn our full attention to repairing and expanding the economy. There is much work to be done.

Our nation is essentially fubar. It's going to take a lot of time and resources to rebuild our economy.

86741031.jpg

As a rule of tumb it is more economically to pay the repair bill first and let other thing wait until most of the repairing is done. Giving priority to provinces with many factories will help to speed up the process because the ic used for repir can be increased that way. Provinces with costly installations without ecominical use can wait. Bases and fortifications are not needed at peace.

The annexation of Venezuela should remove any oils troubles!
May I ask, why do you build infra in La Coruna? If I remember correctly it's a forest with 2IC.

The annexation of Venezuela should remove any oils troubles!
May I ask, why do you build infra in La Coruna? If I remember correctly it's a forest with 2IC.

It starts with 3 ic and 40 infra. Since I am lacking industrial centers, I decided to turn this into one. It also has the benefit of no beach, making it safe from a surprise amphib landing in the event of a war. To be honest, the whole infra thing is still a work in progress for me. I'm still experimenting.

Mostly for factories. You need to remember that if you build 10 factories in a row accelerating the first one will "undelay" the following ones aswell. The same is true for infra but infra reaches the limit 200% soon, building up factories to more than 30 per province takes much longer and can be reasonable in the long run. A nice sideeffect of accelerated produktion is that you can switch back to regular production if you need some ic urgently and you might start some production lines for e.g. interceptors early. Due to retooling few but long lines are preferable. Anyway, ic will be a very relevant limit as spain.

It starts with 3 ic and 40 infra. Since I am lacking industrial centers, I decided to turn this into one. It also has the benefit of no beach, making it safe from a surprise amphib landing in the event of a war. To be honest, the whole infra thing is still a work in progress for me. I'm still experimenting.
Fair enough. Not sure if it can be attacked by paratroopers from the UK. Maybe not with 1940 transport planes, but later versions might have good enough range. But I'm not sure if the AI can even do para-drops anyway.

Well, I was messing around with another nation last night trying out a few things and I saved over my NS game by accident. I have restarted, but I don't know if I should start the AAR over or just pick up where it left off. The problem is, I got a different split this time and a few different units that will definately change things by the time I get to 1938. So, for the sake of continuity, what should I do?

Starting at the new beginning would be preferable. May i ask which nation you "played" before Nation spain existed?

Last game was Luxembourg, this time I played Siam. Maybe it's random, but I got a much more favorable split this time around.

I thought about playing as Republican Spain, but I think that it might be a bit gamey to influence their development with the intention of taking over the territory. Same with Venezuela.

Fair enough. Not sure if it can be attacked by paratroopers from the UK. Maybe not with 1940 transport planes, but later versions might have good enough range. But I'm not sure if the AI can even do para-drops anyway.

I'm pretty sure it can. It's happened to me in games before (admittedly using CORE, but I imagine it's the same in vanilla).

Well, I was messing around with another nation last night trying out a few things and I saved over my NS game by accident. I have restarted, but I don't know if I should start the AAR over or just pick up where it left off. The problem is, I got a different split this time and a few different units that will definately change things by the time I get to 1938. So, for the sake of continuity, what should I do?
I agree with Pang Bingxun, starting again with a new beginning would be best IMO.
I'm pretty sure it can. It's happened to me in games before (admittedly using CORE, but I imagine it's the same in vanilla).
Good to know, yeah I'm not to sure if soft-coding can be done on the AI using paratroopers so, AFAIK, it's hardcoded. But I might be completely wrong on that as I'm not too sure!