• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed, this is what I meant. One of my fluff goals is to lock the USSR out of Poland by the end of the war, which means making deep inroads into Germany and German-held provinces well ahead of the Russians. I don't think it will be too difficult, but will provide more of a challenge than simply beating Germany.
Ah ok. I confused "before the Russians get a look in" with (concocted completely in my own mind) "before Germany declares war on Russia", thus it made me wonder how you would liberate Poland before Germany and Russia were even at war.

Almost zero infrastructure to help our boys reorg.

Were you suffering from divisions able to fight back because org went down to zero? If not it should not increase your losses. What could be a problem is low ESE. If this results in low supply stockpile the fighting effeciency decreases, thus your losses increase.

Kreigsmarine

It is spelled Kriegsmarine.

Were you suffering from divisions able to fight back because org went down to zero? If not it should not increase your losses. What could be a problem is low ESE. If this results in low supply stockpile the fighting effeciency decreases, thus your losses increase.

It is spelled Kriegsmarine.

Apologies for the typo, I've corrected that now.

I didn't have any divisions approaching zero org, but some were quite low. They were occupying provinces with very low infra, however, which, as I understand it, makes their org regain suffer considerably. So, it didn't affect the outcome of the fight, but it did make the fight harder.

How did it make the fight harder? As long as org is above zero it makes the time between the fighting harder because during a fight there is org regain.

There is just the distinction of having org or not having org. If it was different Blitzkrieg would be even stronger than it is.
Oh I had no idea about this either. Thankyou Pang for this comment, and thankyou for cyberpunkdreams for bringing it up.

Nice update, it's great to see that the naval war is quite tight from the start. On vanilla AoD it's quite easy (as either side) to score an array of victories against which ever AI due to its' stupid naval dispositions, so it's refreshing to see it's not the case for CORE. I also wonder how the war in North Africa will go considering you're pretty much re-creating history at the moment, I have no idea how CORE works, but I hope there's some sort of German intervention in the region.

Nice update, it's great to see that the naval war is quite tight from the start. On vanilla AoD it's quite easy (as either side) to score an array of victories against which ever AI due to its' stupid naval dispositions, so it's refreshing to see it's not the case for CORE. I also wonder how the war in North Africa will go considering you're pretty much re-creating history at the moment, I have no idea how CORE works, but I hope there's some sort of German intervention in the region.

Yes, it is on a knife edge! CORE does a lot of work overall on the naval side of things - AI, unit types, unit stats, techs and doctrines, etc. I'm planning an "editor's note" post soon to go through it. Germany for one is a lot more aggressive after the Fall of France than in vanilla (possibly more than Hitler was in reality, at least as far as the surface fleet is concerned).

North Africa is pretty much historical so far, although about two years ahead of schedule! As my fluff goals are to defeat Germany by the end of '43, this is well and good. The Wehrmacht won't be intervening in North Africa though, alas. This was discussed in a thread a while ago, but the gist was that although you could use an event to get them to deploy there, getting the AI to use them properly would be difficult. I'm still planning on having a go at it though, as it would make North Africa considerably tougher and more realistic for the UK player.

The other thing in this theatre, of course, was that the political situation for Vichy France's North African territories became extremely muddy and confused in a way that would be very difficult to simulate properly with the Europa Engine's diplomatic mechanics.

Yes, it is on a knife edge! CORE does a lot of work overall on the naval side of things - AI, unit types, unit stats, techs and doctrines, etc. I'm planning an "editor's note" post soon to go through it. Germany for one is a lot more aggressive after the Fall of France than in vanilla (possibly more than Hitler was in reality, at least as far as the surface fleet is concerned).
Well maybe because in reality the German surface fleet was severely hammered after its' invasion of Norway (which is what really 'saved' Britain from invasion in 1940, but I detract).

North Africa is pretty much historical so far, although about two years ahead of schedule!
I thought the UK captured Cyrenaica in late-1940, only to be repulsed by German and Italian forces led by Rommel.

As my fluff goals are to defeat Germany by the end of '43, this is well and good. The Wehrmacht won't be intervening in North Africa though, alas. This was discussed in a thread a while ago, but the gist was that although you could use an event to get them to deploy there, getting the AI to use them properly would be difficult. I'm still planning on having a go at it though, as it would make North Africa considerably tougher and more realistic for the UK player.
Ah ok, that's a shame but it does make complete sense, I'd imagine the German AI trying to transport back the units or something stupid. I'm not sure if units can be EXPed via event, if so, the Afrika Korps could be EXPed to Italy for the sake of some historicity.

The other thing in this theatre, of course, was that the political situation for Vichy France's North African territories became extremely muddy and confused in a way that would be very difficult to simulate properly with the Europa Engine's diplomatic mechanics.
True, the same can be said for Finland and the Axis. While it never formally allied with Germany, it's hard not to in the game to simulate the aid and support Germany gave to the country.

Well maybe because in reality the German surface fleet was severely hammered after its' invasion of Norway (which is what really 'saved' Britain from invasion in 1940, but I detract).

That and the fact that after several, ahem, high profile sinkings, Hitler basically didn't let any capital ships out to sea without a guarantee of safety, which, of course, was impossible to provide.

I thought the UK captured Cyrenaica in late-1940, only to be repulsed by German and Italian forces led by Rommel.

Ah yes, I was kind of ignoring that as I knew it wasn't going to happen!

Ah ok, that's a shame but it does make complete sense, I'd imagine the German AI trying to transport back the units or something stupid. I'm not sure if units can be EXPed via event, if so, the Afrika Korps could be EXPed to Italy for the sake of some historicity.

I was thinking that too, but then the units wouldn't get the bonuses associated with German tech and leadership. Another option might be to try to fiddle with the AI and victory points, to give Germany a high priority target in the Middle East. Or something. It might be possible to handle Vichy France's North African situation just by handing some provinces over to the Allies or something... it would be a bit of a hack though.

Good to see your continued progress in Libya. I wonder if you'll attempt an invasion of Italy in 1941/42, I've never tried CORE so I don't know what's possible.

Were those infrastructure builds there from the start of the scenario? If so, I'm surprised as most of those make little sense to me, then again maybe CORE turned Jerusalem, Khartoum and Kuching into industrial heartlands :confused:

Thanks! I am planning an invasion by autumn '41 at the latest. It really depends on what's going on with my transports.
Oh ok, have you tried such a thing before? I thought CORE tried to make AoD more historical, surely an invasion then would be a nightmare for the UK. Either way, I'm definitely interested into how it turns out!

Those infrastructure builds are all my own (there are a more of them too, off the screen). Partly I was just messing around, partly I wanted to see what would happen and partly I wanted to soak up some of my IC to increase the challenge.
Ah ok, similar to your 'fluff settings' then I guess.

Oh ok, have you tried such a thing before? I thought CORE tried to make AoD more historical, surely an invasion then would be a nightmare for the UK. Either way, I'm definitely interested into how it turns out!

Well, yes, the key point here is the "more" (more detailed too). They've done a lot with events and balance, but ultimately once the player and the AI start having at each other it's going to go off-track. My own goal is to play a roughly historical game, but accelerated. I'm aiming to beat Germany by the end of '43, so invading Italy and opening up a second front in Austria before attempting Overlord will be important.

To answer your question though, yes, I have tried this before, although I'm not sure I did it quite as early last time (can't remember). Getting a toe hold in Southern Italy (pun intended) will be easy, but things will become a lot tougher once Germany starts to pour divisions in. My basic problem is strength, and that's what makes attacking early difficult (tech and doctrines are okay). I just don't have that many divisions, and those that I have are spread pretty thin, especially as I've committed to holding Norway.

Italy is a good example of where it would be hard to make something truly historical anyway. In reality, the Italians agreed to an armistice before the invasion of the mainland, leaving Germany to defend Italy alone. In the game, you have to conquer a lot of Italy before they'll surrender. You could tweak things to have the Italians surrender much earlier, but then you'd have Italy's (largely) undamaged mainland forces for attacking Germany, which would also be very a-historical. It's an interesting situation... maybe it would be possible to mod something more sophisticated.

Ah ok, similar to your 'fluff settings' then I guess.

Yes, pretty much! You have to remember I'm not a power player. Although really even a long list of infra builds doesn't take up a lot of IC.