Sooo... The Pope told me "Go! And take the Holy Roman Empire!" (I am paraphrasing)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mdqp

Private
5 Badges
Feb 6, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I tried to do some research to understand what triggered this, but I couldn't find anything about this event in the wiki. I hadn't asked the pope for anything (and in fact I had been at war with him, since I created the Kingdom of Italy), but he decided that it was my divine right to claim the empire, giving me a strong claim and CB to use against the empire.

Any idea on why this happened? Was it because I took Rome? :unsure:

I had also the crown of King of Lotharingia, but I was still a long way to go before I could get a claim on the HRE itself, so it advanced my plans of about 100 years or so, when I managed to become the emperor (I waited for the "independence" faction to raise, and then I struck the poor fellow, who was also fighting Poland, if I remember correctly). I am not complaining, but I was wondering if there was a way to raise the odds of getting that claim again, in future playthroughs...

I've never actually heard of that mechanic, but I really hope someone has, as I too am interested in how to proc this.

So, if I understand you right, it was the Emperor's fault? As in, he antagonized the pope, and so the pope set me up against him? That's really cool! :laugh:

yeah ... your Liege pissed off the Pope enough that he goes knocking on your door requesting that you do your duty as a faithful catholic and kick your liege off the throne

Pope in this game perfectly corresponds with the reality!!! Thats why I love to turn heretic and lower the catholic church authority below ground.

You have different opinion than me ?! *Pope XY calls crusade upon you*

You killed your brother, sister and mother ? No problem pal, pay me some golds and the God will forgive you--->*trait Kinslayer removed, lost 666 gold*

Those heretics wont let me to appoint bishops in their country and collect all the taxes into my shiny treasure ?!?!? *gives free CB Invasion* (what you described)

I took control of Apulia as the duchess of Tuscany and formed the kingdom of Sicily, worked on all the duchies in northern Italy then broke off when the emperor went broke in Arabia. Then, I got an invasion CB from my helpful Pope and conquered the whole HRE and then dismantled it internally taking a united Italia, losing the title and indepence'd again. It was a good day. Reason? Cuz.

I'm playing as Basilla of the Byzantine Empire, and my hubby has a strong claim on the HRE. My son is gonna need some German lessons...
Or central europe is going to need some greek lessons.

I took control of Apulia as the duchess of Tuscany and formed the kingdom of Sicily, worked on all the duchies in northern Italy then broke off when the emperor went broke in Arabia. Then, I got an invasion CB from my helpful Pope and conquered the whole HRE and then dismantled it internally taking a united Italia, losing the title and indepence'd again. It was a good day. Reason? Cuz.

That's always the best reason, isn't it? Although my driving force is usually revenge against those who bothered me before. Guess who's going to get a claim on his duchy forged by the emperor himself? :laugh:

Lol the pope could probably beat an AI emporer by himself, in the games Ive played the pope normally has ~6000+ and a nearly fully developed land by 1140, and with the mass sum of money could recruit an army of ~40,000. Atleats on paper they should be able to.

The Pope successfully pressing a claim for the HRE would be an awesome and terrifying event.

I'm not going to lie.
THIS SUCKS!

I was the Fraticelli Empire of Britannia and all was going great, until the pope did just that.
An excommunicated emperor had vassalized the pope. (Might have been what got him exq, didn't catch what was going on, though i clearly should have stopped that.) I see the pop-up that the pope has granted himself an invasion on the HRE. France, Hispania, and a huge polish blob joins the war.
About 4 years later a Popeblob from what was once the HRE cost me england, then 30 years later ireland.

GG popeman.

Ed: This was a few patches ago though.