• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So basically, your three paragraphs amount to saying, 'I'm calling you all wrong, but you are actually correct. I would just prefer to pretend that connecting the bodies of water is not connecting the bodies of water'

Well some of the statements are true in one sense but false in another. It's true that the AI needs to be able to actually send its ships to any sea province. It's not true that the sea provinces have to actually be touching each other via a canal or another sea province in order to accomplish that. So it's not strictly true that the AI has an issue with unconnected sea zones.

It's just like the unconnected bodies of land some other posters mentioned. The AI can handle that, so why not "unconnected" bodies of water? The answer is that they can, and that was what my post was referring to.

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel as though that being added in is about as likely as adding the ability to colonize africa and siberia.

Could you explain why you believe the two are just as likely? Remember, that Paradox have greater resources, than a modding team, and are able to improve the core AI to be accomodating with mechanics such as these.

Last edited:
Really, many of the largest port cities in this period are along navigable rivers rather than the coast, and it's strange that London and Paris and Baghdad and Cairo and so on can't build harbors. Perhaps the Old Gods will solve this issue, though, because the Vikings sailed ships up many of these rivers.

It seems that Old Gods will indeed fix this issue. Screenshots show Vikings sailing from Ladoga to Novgorod and other screenshot shows that the Rhine is divided to "sea zones".

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...I-The-Old-Gods-Dev-Diary-1-A-Different-Europe

Well some of the statements are true in one sense but false in another. It's true that the AI needs to be able to actually send its ships to any sea province. It's not true that the sea provinces have to actually be touching each other via a canal or another sea province in order to accomplish that. So it's not strictly true that the AI has an issue with unconnected sea zones.
Basically you're saying "while it's true that the seazones have to be connected in the code, which is the only thing that matters to the AI, they don't have to be visually connected on the map which the AI ignores because it doesn't have eyes, and therefore I am right."

Hopefully, but another screenshot shows the Persian Gulf still not-navigable.

At least it can solve the issue with the Caspian Sea. Doomdark mentioned that there will be land portages and that could solve the issue with the Red Sea as well. I don't know for certain, but I assume that not all ships can use the land portages and crossing might be possible only with long boats. In that case seas would be connected even if the crossing is impossible for most ships.

At least it can solve the issue with the Caspian Sea. Doomdark mentioned that there will be land portages and that could solve the issue with the Red Sea as well. I don't know for certain, but I assume that not all ships can use the land portages and crossing might be possible only with long boats. In that case seas would be connected even if the crossing is impossible for most ships.

Good thing to know!

I was dissappointed to find the Indian ocean/Red sea so useless, though I can understand why it might have been necessary to avoid the AI falling to pieces. It's something I'd like to see fixed, but that will likely remain on the back burner, as it's a peripheral area of a game that's always been mediterranean/Europe focused.

In the meantime, perhaps events or buildings could be added to represent the trade routes?

I suspect there is much more too it than is readily apparrent else it would have been implemented a while ago.

In terms of game balance, simply adding a "canal" in the Sinai doesn't seem to really cause much, if the results from the various mods that have Indian Ocean seazones are to go by. Actually it doesn't really change anything much - sure, you might occasionally see Crusades/holy wars go out of hand and have English colonies in Yemen, but that's no more ridiculous than HRE/France/Castille roflstomping their way to Timbuktu (and it really isn't that frequent anyways).

I think the biggest issue is whether having that canal is historically justifiable. In my opinion, not properly representing the Indian Ocean is more of a historical issue than having the canal or not, but that's just my opinion. Indeed as you say there may be other concerns the devs had.

In the mod I uses, it causes ocasional Norse and European adventurers trying to claim land in Persia, but other than that nothing much. I think they could just makeit so crossing the Siani penninsula takes a lot longer than crossing other seazones, to simulate soldiers getting out, destroying the boats, rebuiling them at teh other side, and then getting in.

It would be interesting if a country could build a Suez canal, if they own the duchy of Cairo and Diamatia. It would probably be hella expensive to build, but generate a lot of revenue once complete. I doubt the engine could handle that though, sadly.

And only 900 years early.