• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hehe doubt it'll be a problem :)

My main issue with the text heavy AAR's, is that I read these while taking breaks from my preparation for exams reading, and it's easier to space out a bit when there's pictures :p

trying to catch up to DensleyBlair's AAR right now, wish there were more pictures ;P

Yeah I've been working on his Karling one, feel like I should just copy and paste and print so I can read it.

That aint a bad idea.

I've made it a habbit never to print stuff though, I hate having paper flying all over the place ;)

(hell, I've had to read some 600-700 PDF files this year at Uni -.-)

That aint a bad idea.

I've made it a habbit never to print stuff though, I hate having paper flying all over the place ;)

(hell, I've had to read some 600-700 PDF files this year at Uni -.-)

I feel your pain. I was too busy because of school and work the last couple of months so busy I had zero time for this game or reading any of the awesome AARs. Fell so far behind Philo's Abyssinia/Zagwe misadventures that its hard to impossible to ever catch back up on that one. But I recently had to make a decision stick with studying or working and chose school for the time being so I am now finding myself with plenty of time once again :)

Chapter II - Servicing the Kaiser

Chapter II - Servicing the Kaiser

After the initial administrative Privy Council meeting, my lords went about their business in haste. And things calmed down for a bit. Finally having some time off I took to meeting the locals in my realm, to hear their concerns and how they wished life to run its course now that they had been liberated from von Nordheim's tyranny. I would also meet with some builders to discuss renovations about Munchen, renovations and expansions that sounded a bit too pricey since I needed to focus on using what little money the taxes bring in on consolidation of my realm and a few minor land grabs if fate should judge it right.

A few weeks would pass and the Kaiser would send a courier to me wishing me to make a decision on him increasing the powers of the Imperial Crown. As much as I would enjoy staying loyal to this Kaiser, he is the guy that granted me this grand posting in Bavaria, I still have my own needs to watch out for. So I ignore the courier, in fact I don't even meet with him, instead allowing the Chaplain to show him around a little before informing him that me the Duke is currently indisposed and there was no telling when I would be able to meet with someone.

I was told the courier was none to happy about this but left without too much complaint. I'm sure the man was used to it. Perhaps he was more angry due to the lack of warm welcomes he was receiving throughout the German Courts.

2012-12-15_00002-lowercapic_zps636213e5.jpg

The Kaiser in all his infinite wisdom, while all of us German Lords were getting upset about a new Imperial power grab, decides to add insult unto injury by declaring a Holy War upon Pomerania. And sadly since its been known that I've extensively studied the great leaders of the past that the Kaiser himself would call upon me to march with my Bavarian cohorts off into those frigid lands of the North.

2012-12-15_00003_zps639de3e7.jpg

As I slowly made preparations for my troops that I would take with, I was sad and angry about having to go. And unfortunately fell short of being the benevolent ruler I so thought I would become. Why do I say that I fell short of benevolence? This is why...

2012-12-15_00004_zpsd40d98c7.jpg

Yes I was making my sad little courtiers weep.

As we set off from Munchen in late February to join with one of the Kaiser's main Imperial Regiments, we received word that the Lords of Germany had finally succumbed to stupidity by approving Limited Crown Authority.

2012-12-15_00005_zps951741cd.jpg

After joining with the regiment we set off marching and would meet in a large battle in the Northern Polish Province of Poznan against the heathen pagan hordes. Under my leadership my small battalion of stalwart Bavarians would prove how integral to the Imperial armies we were.

2012-12-15_00008_zps51caf8a9.jpg

And I for the first time in my life was able to put my military studies to grand use, and even perfect them quite a bit. From that day in August on forward I would no longer be known as just a Skilled Tactician but a Brilliant Strategist. I imagine this may catapult me towards becoming the Marshal of the Empire at some point in my life. At least I could hope for the sake of the House of Welf that I could climb to such a high height.

2012-12-15_00007_zps6030eb3c.jpg

After that battle in October while laying siege to one of the many pagan forts, I would receive some well bad news from the heart of my realm. The Prince-Bishop Gebhard of Salzburg had succumbed to that dirty disease rumored to be spread by whores known as the Great Pox. And having not selected a successor to the Bishopric the Pope in all his infinite wisdom named Christopher Prince-Bishop of Salzburg. One can only wonder what our dearest Vicar of Christ was thinking.

2012-12-15_00011_zpse60d2840.jpg

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this tremendously. I hope that you manage to conquer your schoolwork; it's been the source of a number of delays in my own AAR. :)

Glad your enjoying it Zynnw...but the schoolwork shouldn't affect me too much I have a few weeks off now, and since I don't have any nasty writing classes this quarter (just physics and some electrical engineering courses) I should have plenty of time to stay up to date on this. Plus since I don't have work got plenty of freetime so I don't see any delays in the near future.

By the way, I have to go catch up on your di Treviso AAR. Think I started reading it when you first started it.

I feel your pain. I was too busy because of school and work the last couple of months so busy I had zero time for this game or reading any of the awesome AARs. Fell so far behind Philo's Abyssinia/Zagwe misadventures that its hard to impossible to ever catch back up on that one. But I recently had to make a decision stick with studying or working and chose school for the time being so I am now finding myself with plenty of time once again :)

Well, It was tough, and there's still some things I need to read up on before exams, but atleast I've taken a ton of notes (i think i got roughly 200 pages worth of notes xD).
Sadly I'm unemployed so there's been a lot of free time, which I've recently decided to spend on getting a hang of modding, and I think I should probably try my hand at this AAR business as a sidedistraction :)

Anyways nice update, seems like it'll be just a tad easier defeating nearby enemies now with the improvement in command ability :)

Well, It was tough, and there's still some things I need to read up on before exams, but atleast I've taken a ton of notes (i think i got roughly 200 pages worth of notes xD).
Sadly I'm unemployed so there's been a lot of free time, which I've recently decided to spend on getting a hang of modding, and I think I should probably try my hand at this AAR business as a sidedistraction :)

Anyways nice update, seems like it'll be just a tad easier defeating nearby enemies now with the improvement in command ability :)

Yeah finding time can be tricky at times.

And yeah hopefully the improvement in command ability does good. I just worry about the Kaiser dying young, because if he does there'd be a good chance any hope for expansion would disappear the minute Medium CA comes about. Keeping the fingers crossed he lives a long and fruitful life. And hopefully the Kaiser doesn't get dear old Welf killed in some foreign war.

Very enjoyable update - it seems old Welf has designs on expansion, which I look forward to (although, for some reason, I can't see the Welfs stretching as far as the de Forezs.)

On another note, was there any special reason you chose cruel over kind? (And did he actually get the trait?) I think if I were role playing him, I'd go for kind to match his zealous trait.

I look forward to more :)

EDIT: Just noticed the to two posts on this page - I'm sorry about the lack of pictures. When I started writing it, it was with the sole intention of having the story as a personal thing, so I didn't have any pictures (apart from visual notes.) When I uploaded it, I had little idea of how to add pictures, although, seeing as I break up for the holidays later, I've made it my project over Christmas to add in sme visuals. Thanks for your interest, though :)

(Although, printing it out doesn't seem like a bad idea - especially considering it was intended to be a short story (although, I believe it is now classed as a 'novella')

Haha and soon your Karling saga shall be a full blown novel it seems!!! :p

It is good writing though. I need to print it out just because I get impatient reading things on a computer screen.

And yeah I don't see the Welf's painting the map like the de Forez's did. That de Forez game was all just weird random luck starting out, and was all done without save-scumming. In a way I'm hoping this game won't go as smoothly as that one. I want some disasters and near extinctions in this game. Ups and downs. Think it'd make the AAR much more interesting in the long run, recovering from disaster ya know.

And about the Cruel decision. Well I was looking at it and the way I feel about zealous is that it means extremist. I view him being a zealot as already being cruel against people who have less conservative views on the holy church. Plus he's a man of martial talent so Cruel would go a along hand in hand. And I also think that he already had the kind trait now that I looked at his info screen I put up in the Prologue. Think that was kind maybe it was charitable, can't remember.

The Cruel trait didn't actually fire on that event. So I'm sadly not cruel........yet ;)

It's not bad Densley, I just find it a lot harder to catch up, when there's no pictures to relate to ;)

Anyways yeah, if I was roleplaying I probably wouldn't go kind on any martially inclined character with the zealous trait tbh :)

Haha and soon your Karling saga shall be a full blown novel it seems!!! :p It is good writing though. I need to print it out just because I get impatient reading things on a computer screen.

I know what you mean - it can be a lot easier to read on actual paper :)

As for a full blown novel, well, if we consider a novel to be 40k words or more, I've still got a while to go :)

It's not bad Densley, I just find it a lot harder to catch up, when there's no pictures to relate to ;)

I do understand what you're saying, though. I would imagine being 25k words in would also make it harder to catch up.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack this thread - here's to more Welfy goodness :)

Eh, I am partly at fault for us getting slightly off track :p So no worries DensleyBlair. In fact I suppose I should get to work on the next Chapter to refocus our attentions upon the wonderful Welfs.

Chapter III - The Beginning of the von Wittelsbach Rebellion

Chapter III - The Beginning of the von Wittelsbach Rebellion

The War for Pomerania had ended and I was returning back to Munchen to finally be with Ethelinde and to roll the dice on getting her fat with a strong little Welf. My thoughts kept turning to this during that ride home, and apparently one night some passerby noticed my fantasizing about dearest Ethelinde because in the middle of this fantasy, a book was thrown into my lap.

2012-12-15_00016_zps4c45c1c4.jpg
2012-12-15_00017_zps3ee44c3a.jpg

This old dusty tome that ended up in my lap that night was very interesting. I stayed up reading it by the camp fire, mesmerized by its contents. Luckily I had a working knowledge of Latin. People claimed I was scholar when dawn broke and they saw me reading it, but a scholar of what? Surely not of Theology, nor Philosophy, or any other preposterous subjects. Instead a scholar of military history. As it was a book detailing the great conquests of that ancient pagan Alexander of Macedon.

In fact this book made me begin to think that perhaps instead of focusing my efforts on increasing my lands in Germany that perhaps I should focus more upon the Balkans, or Anatolia, or the Holy Land, perhaps even old mythical Egypt. Such thoughts would bounce around in my head the next few days of the journey back to Bavaria.

After arriving in Munchen the court was ablaze with news once more from Salzburg. It appears that the inbred freak the Pope had appointed as Prince Bishop there, was well quite the freak and quite deformed. So much so the man fell over dead as a door-nail while giving the holy sacrament of Communion.

2012-12-15_00018_zps1a2eeb85.jpg

This time however the Holy Father would name a slightly better German by the name of Ulrich to the Diocese. And perhaps that is what the Vicar of Christ had intended all along to merely use the deformed Christopher as a place holder until the Creator brought us a holy man worthy of such a grand title as Prince Bishop.

After this most welcome news of the disgusting death of Bishop Christopher's demise, my wife would return to Munchen from Niederbayern and the Court of Otto von Wittelsbach. Bearing some disturbing news. It would seem according to the rumors and evidence she had seen that Otto was planning to lay claim to the Duchy of Bavaria.

2012-12-15_00020_zps97b85fd2.jpg

2012-12-15_00021_zps44f9ee97.jpg

It would seem the proud lord of the Wittelsbachs had come to the decision that was about time his family gain their just desserts, and be risen to the esteemed rank of Duke and Prince Elector of the Holy Roman Empire. However, I don't think this was a prudent decision on behalf of that family. Sure the Count of Niederbayern could proclaim himself Duke Otto III of Bavaria, but he has forgotten one tiny thing. My liege lord Kaiser Heinrich IV gave me the blessing to control Bavaria along with the other lords of this land. So I highly doubt Mister von Wittelsbach would be warmly received anywhere in Bavaria or the Imperial Courts should his designs succeed.

While I sit and brood over how to deal with such a traitorous vassal, whether to just imprison him or revoke his title through intrigue, I receive a letter from the Kaiser once again ordering me to prepare my stalwart Bavarian Battalion once more to march in defense of King Salamon I of Hungary.

I warmly welcome this interruption to my thoughts and worries. So I go about preparing the troops when yet another ever more urgent communique is received from the Kaiser. It appears Hungary will not be my destination after all. For all of Italy has just spiraled out of control.

2012-12-15_00019_zpse1c515f3.jpg

While I begin to try and think of which direction my armies should march I order a small squad to go out and find my Marshal Count von Wittelsbach and bring him to me. I know he should be located somewhere near Munchen training he latest crop of Bavarian peasants in the way of steel and blood. So he should be fairly easy to catch. Meanwhile I return deep inside my castle in search of my wife Ethelinde, for my Spymaster had taken to bed as of late and I have no idea why.

Before I could find her those same guards that I dispatched with orders to place the Count of Niederbayern under arrest rushed back inside the keep and off in the distant horizon was a faint tail of smoke rising towards the heavens. I knew this could not be good.

"Your Grace," the captain started shaking, nervous, scared of his impending demise. "Count Otto has escaped, burning his small estate on the outskirts of Munchen and taking off with all the latest recruits. It seems he rides to Niederbayern!!!"

I curse, and curse a lot and loudly I do. Of all things I needed right this minute it was not a full-scale revolt against my rule as Duke. I suppose that I should make an example out of this proud old Bavarian house. Perhaps it was meant to be and that the lord had designated this as the last days of the House von Wittelsbach.

But nonetheless rebellion was upon us, and so as I march off to war so will the rest of the Duchy. I fear the year 1072-1073 will be a year in which Bavaria could very well burn.

On a much happier note though, I did discover why my wife has been lazy lately. Apparently she is finally pregnant with our first child.

2012-12-15_00024_zps37f92554.jpg

*****note: The scholar thing, I changed the narrative on that event a tad just because what the pop up says, and what it gives you due that pop-up just doesn't make sense too me. Why would someone love a book they can't understand and think is crazy? Anyways I changed it to what I felt was appropriate for Mister Welf Welf. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Last edited:
Well, getting rid of the Wittelsbachs is probably a good idea, considering they almost always become Kaisers in my game - one less threat to the rise of the Welfs :)

Very nice update - I'm liking the way this is being told.

DensleyBlair said:
Well, getting rid of the Wittelsbachs is probably a good idea, considering they almost always become Kaisers in my game - one less threat to the rise of the Welfs :)

Very nice update - I'm liking the way this is being told.

Yes, actually in a way I was hoping they wouldn't be the first to try me, kind of wanted them to stick around but I guess I will have to crush them instead.

And glad your liking it thus far.

A_Dane said:
most definiatly get rid of the wittelsbachs!

And seems like you'll see your share of combat :)

What's sad is Welf never actually gets to fight in his own battles. The Kaiser always has him off fighting for the Empire :( Poor old Welf has to delegate his wars to lesser men!!!

What's sad is Welf never actually gets to fight in his own battles. The Kaiser always has him off fighting for the Empire :( Poor old Welf has to delegate his wars to lesser men!!!

The reason I never go on crusade as a vassal - if I'm not a member of the council, I'll be leading troops against sme bloody rebelling vassal. This is especially annoying if I've just forked out 100 gold and then 75 per month on a navy to get there. Sometimes I go and then just give my guy the trait with a cheat, but it's not the same...