• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
^ Added.

Does anybody know the first names of the King of Aragon and Duke of Deheubarth in 1066? I've done entries for both but have left them without first names.

Another correction Mihaljo Duke of Dulkja is catholic, while the rest of the court is orthodox. So unless you join the Byzzies the only way to survive is by using the catholic crusader troops.

France, Kingdom of
Duke Guilhelm IV of Toulouse - He is a very interesting character that allows for very plausible switches into alternate history. IOTL, the counts of Toulouse (Toulouse, IOTL, was a county, not a duchy) and the kings of Aragon were very close until the rise of the Montforts and the Albigensian crusade, when Simon de Montfort defeated the combined forces of Aragon and Toulouse at the battle of Muret. With a closely linked Aragon and Toulouse, you could potentially become the king of Aragon, and end up with a disunited Spain. There could be a Hispanic Portugal and Castile in the far west, and a Occitanian Aragon that spreads along the Mediterranean coast from Provence in the east to Murcia in the west, and stretches from Sicily in the south to Gap or even Vienne in the north.

I just wanted to add two more persons I thought about

Queen Margaret I of Scotland, the Maid, 1287-1290, a interesting character to play, this tragic young girl was the only heir to Alexander III, and her death helped lead the the invasion and take over of Scotland by Edward I, there is much question of her royal status dying so young on her trip to arrive in Scotland. Yet in the game you can change this young girl's fate, and make her into a Queen worth remembering in history, kind of neat idea I would think.

King Godefroy I of Jersulem July 15,1099-April 1,1100 Godfrey was the first leader of the Kingdom of Jersulem, he actually refused to become king, believing that God was the true king of the kingdom of Jersulem. He never the less can be played as the King. You should be able to avoid his untimely death and hopefully with a good deal of skill and luck set up a true lasting Kingdom.

Another interesting character (although generalolaf would probably be able to word it better than myself) would be Baldwin I of Constantinople (1205) Although I do not know all that much about him I think the idea of transforming the Latin Empire from an artificially imposed construct to something of real substance would make for a fun game.

I appriciate this thread, I was having troubles finding a date and a character to play with. And I settled for Chatillion.

It's a very interesting game so far.. both fatimids and seljuks have disintegrated into minor empires while the byzantines are picking them off. Meanwhile I've taken tripoli and sworn allegiance to Jerusalem for the time being, with the goal of crowning myself king of syria.

Vseslav the Seer, Duke of Polotsk in 1066.
Real Vseslav was not eligible to rule Kievan Rus, but that didn't stop him from trying. Can you do better and claim the throne when your duchy is not de jure Ruthenia?
Sviatopolk, count of Zaozerye.
It's tough to be a bastard. Your dad and uncles rule the lands of Kievan Rus, and you are stuck lording over a bunch of pagans in a county that has never existed. To add insult to injury, your liege is your own brother. Can you climb from the shores of Onega to the throne of Kiev, sucker? Real Sviatopolk could.

In the interests of keeping this fascinating (and useful!) thread alive...

Baibars, Sultan of Egypt, October 24, 1260-June 30, 1277: The Turk who became a slave, the slave who became a general, the general who became a sultan, the sultan who brought down the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Baibars, thought to be a fair-skinned, blue-eyed Turk in life (though he is a typical dark Egyptian in game) was the Mamluke general who won the Battle of Ain Jalut, turning back the Mongol tide and showing, once and for all, that the Khans could be beaten. He then ascended to the Sultanate and continued his conquests against Armenia and the Crusader states, effectively ending the Catholic occupation of the Holy Land. In-game, Egypt is a powerhouse, headed by a Strong, Ambitious Brilliant Strategist in the latter half of the prime of his life. It's an easy game, but a fun romp. And dominating the map as Baibars makes a little more sense than doing so as the Fatimids.

I just wanted to add two more persons I thought about

King Godefroy I of Jersulem July 15,1099-April 1,1100 Godfrey was the first leader of the Kingdom of Jersulem, he actually refused to become king, believing that God was the true king of the kingdom of Jersulem. He never the less can be played as the King. You should be able to avoid his untimely death and hopefully with a good deal of skill and luck set up a true lasting Kingdom.

I prefered using Baldwin I as my first king of Jerusalem

In the interests of keeping this fascinating (and useful!) thread alive...
Our interests are shared.

Catholic
Aragon
---Alfonso Barcelona, King of Aragon, October 16, 1174:
At last the quarreling Jimena are contained in what remains of Navarre, but their legacy continues to poison the unity of the Iberian Catholics. Portugal, Castile, and Aragon remain divided even against the united Almohad Caliphate(Sultanate in game). Barcelona is a young house surrounded by greater powers and with few friends.

But you are Alfonso the Troubadour. Such a magnificent name demands a demesne to match. Perhaps even Gonder should owe fealty to Aragon...

Arright, I'm gonna try one more shot in the arm before calling the patient dead...

Frederich II, Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire, July 5 1212-December 12 1250: One of the most ambitious and powerful of the Holy Roman Emperors, Frederich best embodies the average CK2 player's drive to rule the world. He represented the pinnacle of House Hohenstaufen, and had plots in nearly every corner of the world. He attempted to claim Jerusalem by marriage (and is married to the Queen of Jerusalem in the 1220s), warred against the pope, and very nearly turned the HRE into a proper nation-state.

Duke Mael Snechtai Duke of Moray and last of the relatives of the infamous Macbeth. Can you retake the Scottish throne through murder and deceit?
I take exception to that, Macbeth was a great king, damn Dunkelds ruined Scotland, introduced Saxon and then Norman laws (succession changes from Tanistry, which is roughly Seniority to Primogeniture, and those horrible names, Edward, John, I go out of my way to kill a Scottish king with an English name).

Anyways, to add Edgar of Wessex, last legal Saxon claimant to the throne of England, would require giving him land first but he is in England. Also there is a Knytling in Toulouse, the most efficient house in Saxon history (despite, or probably because they were not Saxons). The Mac Duff's of Fife, descendants of the Mac Alpins and the killers of Mac Beth, as well as officially the first Scottish Clan. The Crovans of the Isles have been a personal favourite of mine since CK1, descendants of the Great Heathan horde, as are the Ui Imair. Vladimir Monomakh (he who fights alone, or gladiator, a name he inherited from his Grandfather Basileus Constantine IX) is a Genius, has a claim on the Byzantine Empire via his mother (from which the 3rd Rome theory of the Russian Empire originated, in the Monomakh's Cap) and his father owns enough of Rus to form a Kingdom in 1066, as well as the claims, political and military strength to form the Empire. I have been waiting for Eric the Heathan, but Kol af Sverker could support his rule and go to Paganism. Abelard of Taranto, the legal ruler of the duchy of Calabria and Apulia, who's uncle Roger Guiscard (the Wise/Weasel/Ferretface/Sneaky) stole his lands. Gottfried Wigeriche, Duke of Lorraine, claimant to the other half of Lorraine, solid choice to reform Lotharingia, and a descendant of the house of Karling, as well as historically ancestor to the house of Lorraine which ended up ruling the Austrian Empire when the Habsburgs died off. The Habsburgs, rulers of the largest dynastic empire in history (at one point the HRE, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Venice, Bohemia, as well as Spain and Portugal along with their colonies), although they rule the simple county of Aargau in 1066, the challenge is on. The Guthkeleds of Hungary, a powerful family that goes on to form various cadet branches, including Bathory which ruled over Poland and had a crazy vampire lady who bathed in peopl's blood. John the Great of Wallachia, father of Radu, Grandfather of Vlad Tepes, aka Dracula, much later in the game. The Muslim Dukes of Bulgaria in 1066 are of the house of Dulo, the house that the Arpads originate from, that ruled Bulgaria for centuries and that Attila the Hun belonged to, technologically one of the best duchies in the game, easily the best in Slavic lands, could potential to eventually take over the Golden Horde from the inside. The Ui Neill Noigallachs of Oriel, have a claim on Tyrone allowing them to form the Duchy of Ulster, traditional rulers of Ireland (not that it was ever very centralized) as High Kings, as homeland from which the Scots originated, also traditional place of the capital of Ireland, Tara. One of the oldest dynasties in the game still alive, goes back to Conn of the Hundred battles, continued to rule in some form until the flight of wild geese in the 1600s, giving them 1300 years of rulership roughly. Also something like 15% of all people in northern Ireland (the region, not the country) and southern Scotland are descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages himself, or someone who was alive in his time period. Svend II of Denmark, King in 1066, son of Canute the Great's sister, claimant to the throne of England via Canute, has over 20 children, 5 of his sons became kings themselves (2 of which were pretty good, one, Canute, a Saint and Eric the Good who has the Strong trait). Denmark is also an Elective monarchy with a very small kingdom, easy to rule the entire thing as a personnel demense and pick whoever you want to be next king without having to suck up to anybody. The Bruce family of Scotland is actually in the game in 1066, as Norman conquerors in Sicily or England, could give them land and give Robert and early start on ruling. Lazlo of Transylvania, eventual Saint and King of Hungary. Potential vampire (not having your body rot when it's encased in an airtight glass container after death is a sign of being a Saint or a Vampire, or both). Along with every other Duke of Hungary he has a claim and can get in pretty decently. Rostislav of Korichev, great potential from a Rurikovich Basileus, his wife is a Hungarian Princess, the King of Hungary is underage, and he has enough relatives to make his son Rurik the next King. Also owns enough of Cherson to become Doux, and then join the Empire, inherit Hungary as a powerbase to use to become Emperor from. As Emperor he could potentially help his relatives make a Tsar themselves. The House of Hwicce in northern England (York/Northumbria or Lancaster/Heresford roughly), descendants of Godiva, power Saxon family that reminds me of Cedric from Ivanhoe, kill the Normans. Screwed if the Norwegians win though. The house of Barcelona, descendants of the Gothic rulers of Spain, have enough power to retake all of Spain potentially and form the Hispanic Empire.

Last edited:
January 1st 1070....and again in 1079.

Duke Welf I Welf of Bavaria, the bastard son of Duke Alberto II Azzo d'Este of Lombardy, can you resurrect the once old and powerful House of Welf (Guelph)? It's a fun game being an illegitimate bastard with a wife that has a claim on neighboring Swabia. If you can pacify the Bavarian Lords, and consolidate you could potentially become the most powerful man in the Holy Roman Empire. Not to mention the weak claim you will receive when the old man Alberto Azzo II dies, and the impending succession crisis in Lombardy means you can seize your moment and swallow Milan as well.

Bringing glory back to the Welfs should be a fun undertaking.

Doux Isaakios of Antioch; get started on your Komnenian restoration before Manzikert!

Update: Or you can play Alexios from age 10 or up.

Last edited:
I usually play as myself, using my first name for all my sons and as Dynasty name and as a title (king level for a Bosnian culture I modded in :D ).

So in most cases the Old World is dominated by Amar Amarovic the VIII, the Amar of Amarri Caliphate of the House of Amarr (this game is probably the best ego trip I've ever had) :D