• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The pictures are helping to create the mood for your story. I continue to learn some Italian history while reading your AAR, which is an added bonus.:cool: Now what will Mantua do I wonder? :)

Joe

Enough lurking, I must say I am really enjoying this AAR! Your knowledge of the area is so grand that this tale is one of the best I have read for a long while! I will definately follow!

September 9, 1492

Isabel and Fernando, sovereigns of Spain entered Mantua from St. George Gate around the fifth hour on September 9, 1492 (that is, 11 o’clock in the morning) when heat in the city starts to become unbearable in spite of the fact that summer is leaving room to autumn. Their imposing cavalcade met Their Lordships the Marchioness and the Marquis at St. George and together they crossed the town among people throwing roses and flowers.

It seems that Spain and Italy are joining their fates in these days and news flowing through Europe faster than ever confirm this.

Nearly three months ago Spain, that had broken up its previous pact with England and Milan, and its vassal the Kingdom of Naples, where the old and tired King Ferrante I is probably spending his last years of reign, signed an alliance which seemed to have an anti-French function, but potentially would serve also against the Great German Union or the Turks, that in the meantime have completed the siege of Ragusa. The Marquis, who has followed a neutral policy until then, was not surprised by Spanish move and gave me the responsibility of starting secret negotiations for joining the alliance, which have led up to the current visit of Spanish sovereigns and the alliance treaty with Spain, Naples and Scotland that tomorrow afternoon Mantua is going to access to.

God’s Providence has build other two peculiar bridges between Italy and Spain, or should we say links that are chaining Italy to Spain?! The first one directly concerns the election of His direct representative, the Pope. The feeble Innocentius VIII died on July 25. The Conclave was immured on August 6, and after five days of immoral and scandalous simony the Spanish Rodrigo Borgia, who is fit for every job apart the Papacy, was elected and took the name of Alexander VI, paying the electors with mule-loads of silver. He was greeted with the greatest ovations by Romans during his coronation, as if everyone forgets his previous way of life, and those of his son and daughter Cesare and Lucrezia.

During our journeys in Madrid trying to negotiate the accession of the Marquesate of Mantua to the alliance with Spain, we knew the second bridge between Spain and Italy: this bridge was a Genoese man, we hardly recall his surname, Colombo. He is a sort of visionary seaman, that has gained the support of Spanish sovereigns for exploring a westward route to Asia. In the last days of July, we knew he was in Palos, equipping three caravels and recruiting, with some difficulties, a crew for his voyage into the unknown. We left Spain with the diplomatic delegation before the end of July. The small fleet was planned to leave dry land on August 3. May God’s Love be with that brave man…

I spot the post just to thank all the readers of my AAR for their encouraging support. A question for PriestofDiscord: "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" was said by Hitler's propaganda ministry (I suppose Goering), wasn't it?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hastu Neon

He was greeted with the greatest ovations by Romans during his coronation, as if everyone forgets his previous way of life, and those of his son and daughter Cesare and Lucrezia.

I suspect we haven't heard the last of those two! Great post.

Just wanted to drop you a line and tell you how much I've enjoyed your tale to date.

Like many Americans, I've never traveled in Europe. Your screenshot of the Renaissance Council Hall is breathtaking. I wish I was there. :)

April 3rd, 1493

Yesterday we received, together with the Marquis, our emissary in Madrid Sir Leone Manfredi, an old fine gentleman that has been one of the most important educators of Francesco II in past times. Manfredi, known for his aplomb, seemed to be particularly excited. Two weeks ago, Colombo, whose departure from Spain toward the unknown Ocean paths was told us during the final Madrid negotiation rounds held in July, entered the harbour of Palos on March 15. The explorer has appeared before Fernando and Isabel with a parade of natives, parrots and other things found in the Indian lands he discovered. He told of strange vegetation and inhabitants, gold and spices. Spanish sovereigns gave him the title “Admiral of the Ocean Seas”…

lg_colindia.jpg

Three caravels in Palos...

After Manfredi’s tale, Francesco II seemed astonished, “but we would like to know details about events closer to Mantua than those adventures of the explorer”, he said.

“Well, His Lordship”, Manfredi replied with some embarrassments, “the King of Spain is very glad because of the situation of our alliance: Wilhelm I, Count of Hessen, has joined us as first member of Holy Roman Empire and Fernand thinks this could counterbalance the authority of Friedrich V of Austria over other members of the Great German Union”.

“Or they will have another possibility, at least”, the Marquis said without much conviction. The room became silent when Manfredi began to tell us what he knew in Madrid from the Swiss ambassador about the atrocities committed by the armies of the Great German Union in the provinces of Bern and Schwyz. It was already clear to us that something terrible was happening there when we saw some months ago, during one of the coldest winter ever seen, crowds of Swiss civil refugees going through Alpine passes to save their souls in neighbouring Italian regions.

We may only hope to see as long as possible our Marquesate flourishing as it is doing these years: Sir Bozzalino’s tax reform was very successful, in spite of the fierce opposition of country noblemen and monasteries. Production and trading activities are getting better and better: five merchants from Mantua are dealing in Venice centre of trade, with a market share of 25%, population is fast-growing (9%), the “massaro” has to pick up only 0.3 ducats per month from treasury, causing inflation at 0.10% per year. The royal marriage held on March 1st between Pirro, member of a cadet branch of Gonzaga family, and Jolanda Valois, daughter of Charles VIII of France was a good chance to show the wealth Mantua is accumulating and the fasts of its magnificent court. The only shadow for the Marquis during the seven days of festival held to celebrate the marriage concerned some disapprobation for the establishment of closer links with a foreign King who is putting to the sword Italian provinces of Liguria and Tuscany in his war on the side of the Papal State.

Last edited:
Re: September 9, 1492

Originally posted by Hastu Neon
A question for PriestofDiscord: "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" was said by Hitler's propaganda ministry (I suppose Goering), wasn't it?
Hmmm, I googled for more info and it hit it as a Lenin quote. I'll look around some more though, it would make sense that the propagandists said a similiar thing. Another great update, by the way.

January 24, 1494

The Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew was packed with prayers, nearly one month ago, during the Christmas celebrations and outside the cold was freezing. Original working project, made by Leon Battista Alberti who died before their beginnings, have been conducted by Luca Facelli until present days, when the stucture of the building has been finished, simultaneously with the watch tower in front of the Ragione Palace, a masterpiece of technology which counts for moon days and planetary movements too, being one of the most important prides of contemporary Mantua.

s_andrea_mantova.jpg

Saint Andrew Cathedral (Copyright: Giorgio Donini)

The sermon made in that pulpit by the Bishop Federico Baiamonti, a fat seventy-four years old man that, in spite of its title, maintains a peculiar combative impetus. We report here a small abstract about what we can recall from our memory:

“Bad times are coming for Mantua and Italy as a whole. Immorality has become a normal way of conduct, as vanity and dissoluteness seem to represent the main features of present-day despots. Time is coming when everyone has to choice between the adoration of God’s Holy Church or the infelicity of human senses!”

Even if the bishop was extravagant and vague in his discussion, a far-sighted man could understand the real cause of the attack against the Marquis, probably the tax reform held during past years, which particularly hits the revenues of countryside monasteries and lords (in truth Sir Bozzalino told us during last Marquisal Council that State revenues have grown up by 30% in 1493, and that more money will come from trading activities in Genoa centre of trade after the signing of a trading agreement with them). The remaining part of the sermon was so violent against the establishment that made a deep impression on the masses. The last days of 1493 were gloomy: bands of peoplemen, excited by bishop’s words, assaulted some illustrious citizens, guilty of excessive vanity and scarce faith, according their zealous moralism (obscurantism wave, +3 revolt rate for 12 months).

In one thing the bishop didn’t fail during his sermon: when he predicted bad times for Italy. French troops, commanded by Charles VIII, besieged and finally conquered Modena in October 2nd, 1493, despite the brave resistance of Ercole I d’Este, brother of our graceful Marchioness Isabella, and his people. On the first day the King unleashed his 20.000 soldiers for sacking the city. The day after, as reported by some relatives of the Marchioness that managed to escape from that hell on the Earth, under an incessant rain, the King of France, fully armoured, rode into Modena, where he received pledge of allegiance by Ercole I, who accepted the vassalisation of Modena and a tribute of 23 ducats. After the conquest of Emilia, Charles VIII moved toward Liguria, where he won some open field battles against Genoan troops, but was finally forced to retreat soon after the beginning of the city, leaving to the Papal troops the sacking of Tuscany.

Finally, today another event can make further complicated diplomatic situation in Italy and likely the ruins predicted by the bishop on that Christmas night sermon. Ferrante I of Naples has departed this life without the consolation of being able to find a good successor in this turbulent years, other than the coward Alfonso II.

Last edited:
January 20, 1495

A great part of last year passed without any particular event worth of note: the Great German Union was enriched with Bavaria in March; furthermore, Giovan Galeazzo II died in October, and Ludovico the Moor has finally fulfilled his dream to become Duke of Milan, after nearly 15 years of regency.

In the meantime, Italian peninsula had experienced the rise of the Bull, that is Cesare Borgia, the controversial son of Pope Alexander VI. First destined for an ecclesiastic career, Cesare became cardinal of Valencia in 1493, but then chose the military career – and diplomatic, as papal legate in France.

Cesare%20Borgia.gif

Cesare Borgia, portrait of Leonardo da Vinci

The siege of Modena by Papal armies went on during summer and autumn, with besieger artillery training upon city walls, and besieged people having hard times for famine and contagious diseases. Finally, without reinforcements from outside and no hope to break the siege, on Christmas Eve 1494 the capital of the Duchy of Este made formal surrender to Cesare Borgia, that on Christmas Day attended Mass at the Cathedral of Modena with great pomp. Later, the Communal Council of Modena, only institutional authority left there, accepted the annexation to the Papal State.

Members of Este dynasty, among the others Ercole I, who left his city only after the end of the siege, and other noblemen from that province fled to Mantua, ably defended by Francesco II and Isabella. Today, we cannot say whether the legitimate Duke of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio in Emilia will ever come back to his wonderful lands.

For a small declining Duchy, another glorious Italian State puts its destiny at stake: according what our Venetian friends told us, some days before Modena fall, Ottoman sultan Bayezid II sent to Georgia his ultimatum, asking for full subjugation under the authority of the Sublime Porte. That valorous people refused to accept Ottoman domination and sent back the Turkish ambassador with a message that could bring with him only a declaration of war, as Bayezid II did on December 22. Reluctantly, Doge and Senate have decided to honour the alliance with Georgians, joining them in this deadly war.

Cesare Borgia makes his appearance and now the Ottomans show up. Things are getting very interesting Hastu Neon.

Joe

I think the Doge and Senate should be honoured! I am looking forward to this.

Judge

September 1st, 1496

Another terrible year is passing for Italy and Europe, not for our Marquisate. Our army, nowadays composed by over 8.000 footers and 3.000 knights after more recent conscriptions in March 1495, stand useless in front of the walls of the city and in the surroundings, whereas the rest of Italy is burning in the flames of war.

More and more characters have surged to the stage of Italian history in these few last months: Philippe II succeeded his young nephew Charles II, who died in April at age 7, to the throne of Savoy. The crown of Naples seems to be cursed for its possessors. After the death of Ferrante I, three monarchs succeeded one each other: the weak Alfonso II renounced to the crown after one year, retiring from the world and doing penance for his sins, probably afraid of the threats coming from France for the claims of Naples and Apulia. The new king Ferrante II, the last of the Anjou line, has died at age 27. His uncle Fredrigo I has succeeded him, but the dependence of the southernest peninsular Kingdom over Spain may be considered full.

The last character to jump to the honour of the fame is the intriguing Ludovico the Moor, now Duke of Milan. He has been de facto for many years the ruler of Milan, considering his ascendant over Giovan Galeazzo. The unfortunate expired in October from long confinement and chagrin, and someone say that Ludovico has poisoned him. Solemn obsequies were ordered for the poor youth, but the final result was that Ludovico was elected Duke with the consent of France and Austria, in spite of the fact the Giovan Galeazzo left a 5 years old child, Francesco Sforza. Mantua should treat very carefully with this usurper.

Genoa that was fighting alone against the fury of French, Savoyards and the Pope has been besieged for 13 months before its capitulation on May 1495. The besiegers, commanded by Cesare Borgia, entered the city, but met a fierce resistance, fighting through the streets. Only in January 1496, after further eight months of horrible carnage, Genoa decided to accept the peace, giving up Corsica to the Pope with a tribute of 21 ducats. Someone, perhaps a Florentine ambassador in Genoa, wrote these words on his diary:

“The first person captured by the troopers entering Genoa was a young man, and was the first to be killed. His same fate was met by some two thousands citizens, all the women taken were given in prey to the greatest cruelty”.

Europe numbly assists to this massacre: Austria has been strengthened by Bavarian acceptation of his status of vassal to Maximilian I. Helvetia decided to end the attacks to its peaceful lands by the armies of the Great German Union accepting to give up Schwyz to Wurttemberg and to become vassal. In June 1496, Maximilian I of Austria, followed by the Great German Union, declared war on the small city of Gelre (France, Brittany, Savoy and Papal State helped them), causing the start of one of the biggest wars ever seen in our continent. In few months, the soldiers of Charles VIII pour in the Netherlands: the French immediately occupies Artois, Luxembourg and Flanders.

Meanwhile, the Turks are massacring thousands of brave and courageous Venetian in their island possessions. Ionia, Corfu, Dalmatia, Crete, Cyrpus, all besieged: everywhere the Winged Lion of Saint Mark flaps to the wind, there are young men ready to die in front of the Turkish swords to honour their alliance with Georgia, among the indifference of Christians.

Life in Mantua placidly goes on, among festivals, arts and trades trading agreement with Spain; market share in CoTs: Andalusia at 25%, Venice 25%. How long will this last???

Last edited:
September 26, 1499

The Marchioness was sitting with her renowned beauty on the engraved chair in the Studiolo, looking toward the painting, a work of Mantegna which decorates her study room. The mythological scene represented is astounding: dancing and singing Muses are causing cataclysms stopped by Pegasus stamping his hoof, Mercury at its side. Mars and Venus dominate the scene from the top of Parnassus; a bed is beside them, representing their consumed love. Venus’ husband, Vulcan, springs out from the entrance of his forge, fulminating against the faithless pair. Apollo is seated lower down, his lyre in his hands. She always pleasantly smiles looking at the painting: she probably thinks of the great painter imaging to represent herself as Venus, and her humility leaves room to that feminine vanity that enjoys everyone has the honour to know this wonderful woman.

parnassus.jpg

It is recognised everywhere that she is the most important art patron and collector within the Marquesate, and not only there. Her agents, present in all major cities in Italy, continue to inform her over prices and sales of every kind of collectible item, from coins and medals to portraits and statues. Notwithstanding her limited budget (Mantua is not Milan, or Rome, or Venice) she has commissioned paintings from the most brilliant Italian painters.

Now and here, in this fine study room, a person is sitting in front of us, waiting for a word spoken by the Marchioness. The man is Leonardo da Vinci, and the portrait he made to Isabella (see my post 08-01-2003), now at her close examination, seems to capture her keen intelligence and personality through its eyes. Everyone know Leonardo, the Florentine artist and scientist who can be considered one of the most eminent personalities in this martyred country, a sort of Archimed and Fidia in one soul. Leonardo and his friend Luca Pacioli, a strange monk that has established some new interesting accounting principles, and for this reason has been “friendly kidnapped” by Sir Bozzalino, have arrived at Mantua this year.

Their motherland Florence, where the guide of Piero II Medici has become even weaker than before, was left practically alone in its struggle against the Pope after the defections of Modena and Genoa; the Florentine troops had to leave Siena under the control of Cesare Borgia almost two summers ago, and two years of fierce resistance against him passed ineffectively, because just seven days before today also Florence fell in the hands of Alexander VI’s son.

During past few years, Mantuan economy has probably been affected by the general downturn in Italian economy. The end of 1496 recorded some badly-handled contrasts with our main trading partners (Bad government, -1 stability, -250 trading tech). The trading agreement signed in February 1497 with Charles VIII (now succeeded by Louis XII), could be very useful to regain some trading activity, considering that the peace treaty with Austria signed in December 1496, gave France the possession over Artois, Luxembourg, Zeeland and Flandern (second French Centre of Trade). Actually, we are loosing market shares both in Venice and in Iberian Centres of Trade (average 15%), even if this facts may be caused respectively by the recovery of Venetian businesses following the end of Venetian-Turkish conflict (finally, the Sultan Bayezid II accepted from Georgia Sochi province, a tribute of 4 ducats and military access to make peace, for the joy of Doge Agostino Barbango that at the end of 1497 was missing Ionia, Corfu and Cyprus, despite the brave resistance of his men) and by the increasing wealth (and commercial aggressiveness) coming to Spain and Portugal from their discoveries beyond Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited:
After long silence... here is: "January 4th, 1500"

Today is the fourth day of a new century. The usual Marquisal Council is being held in the Pisanello’s Hall. This meeting could be perhaps the last under the patronage of “massaro” Sir Bozzalino, who confessed me yesterday his intention to resign from his title, desiring to pass his own days in his countryside estate. After almost ten years of duty, he will finally leave a State economically stronger than that he found.

Over 37.600 inhabitants live in Mantua now, with roughly 9% of annual growth and the highest level of stability. Economy is well sounding: the treasury amounts to 67 ducats, with an economy that does not know inflation. Production and trading in Mantua guarantee respectively, 28 and 1 ducats, thanks to the appointment of tax collectors in the first years of Sir Bozzalino duty. Trading activity has recovered after the previous crisis: the position of Mantuan merchants can be considered very solid in Andalusia (25% of market share that guarantees an yearly income of 24 ducats) and Venice (20% of market share with 26 ducats), less in Tago (5% of market, with only 4 ducats gained per year). Revenues of the last fiscal year of Sir Bozzalino management is 99 ducats, with – we are coming to the army – 5.7 ducats for the maintenance of the troops.

8.000 footers and 3.000 knights, commanded by Colonel Vercelli, represent the fulcrum of our defensive forces. A lean army, for sure, that does not seem to be at the level of those of our dangerous neighbours. Probably for the scarce readiness of out soldiers Francesco II has held for so much time a neutral diplomacy among Italian States. At the moment, the stricter links exist with Spain, Naples, Scotland and Hessen that share with Mantua the belonging to the same Spanish-led alliance. Notwithstanding this, Francesco II has pursued a friendly policy with Venice and France, culminated with some royal marriaged among the most illustrious families of our countries. Trading agreements with Venice, Genoa, Spain and France opened those continental centres of trade to the entrepreneurship of our mercantile class. The cautious diplomacy of His Lordship has avoided to Mantua the involving in such tremendous conflicts that are blooding Italy and Europe, as the war among Florentine Piero II Medici and Pope Alexander VI, or that, absolutely disproportioned, among the Great German Union and the coalition of Papal States, Savoy and Gelre. The strongest worry for Isabel y Fernando seems to be the annihilation of those native peoples, as Maya and Zapotec, that they refer us want to Christianise, by word or by sword…

This is the situation of our Marquisate in these peculiar days of January, which decide our future. The agenda of the Marquisal Council, after years and years of boring discussions about public utility works, taxes and artists’ compensations. Two days ago, in truth, the intriguing Ludovico the Moor, Duke of Milan, has finally shifted from his initial diplomatic positions toward a complete servitude under Maximilian I of Austria ("Austria chooses to govern Milan as vassal” event), who found himself very pleased to finally get the first bridge over Italy for his attempt to share with Spain and France the control of this self-destructive nation.

Today we have received news from Rome: obviously alarmed by this event, Alexander VI and his son Cesare instantaneously signed the peace with Florence: Piero II Medici gives up the province of Siena and 20 ducats to the Papal State. This is the acme of the power of the Borgias, in few years Emilia, Corsica and Siena have joined the legacy of Saint Peter, and Alexander VI reduced Genoa and Florence to desperation, but still they are at war with Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and the other members of the Great German Union. France and Spain remain to the window, seeing Austria phagocyting the free institutions of Italy, thanks to the felony of Ludovico the Moor…

This is the last update before war: the storm is coming soon and I can guarantee some years of BIG BIG MESS!

A very interesting story Hastu Neon. Can you post a picture of the EU map of Italy for the year you're in?

Joe

Your story has a nice documentary feel to it, there's a good deal of research going into it.

I second the notion of putting up a map. :)

June 24, 1500

War has come at last, showing is dreadful face to this world inhabited by simple farmers and delicate noblemen. As symbol of his future destiny, perhaps, the first son of Their Lordships the Marchioness and the Marquis, Federigo, was born on the days our ambassadors were ordered to leave Milan and come back to Mantua, during the radious month of May. Although the time and the events leave behind our recollections in a vague sense of uncertainty, we remember very well the day on which the crisis deteriorated at unprecedented and unrecoverable levels.

The ninth day of April, Mantuan citizens already scandalised by the destabilising behaviour of the Duke of Milan Ludovico the Moor, we found altogether at the doors of the city waiting for the arrival of the herald from Milan, sent by our ambassador at the court of Ludovico. When the herald’s horse finally came into our sight, his worried look did not promise any good news. And no good news would have arrived for Mantua. The messenger alluded to a peculiar feeling in Milan, a blend of patriotism and excitement, provoked by Duke’s public speeches and facts such as the visit of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I of Austria, who reached Milan to sanction the admission of his vassal Ducky of Milan in the Great German Union, first non-German State doing it, and in the conflict against Pope Alexander VI, Savoy and Gelre.

Francesco II did the only thing consistent with his prudence: waiting and see for further developments, without skipping the eventuality of declaring war on Milan if the state of war against Papal State goes on. Too many quakes were warning sign of the bigger future eruption. In less than one month, Ottoman Empire and Venice were involved in the worsening situation, as bodies falling one after the other from a tower for mutual pushing. Bayezid II declared war on the Slavonic League led by Poland and Lithuania, some days after Agostino Barbango decided to add some unnecessary instability to Italian situation declaring war against Savoy and Gelre and obviously dragging in the conflict their stronger allies: Alexander VI, Louis XII and Brittany rulers could not tolerate this attack against the dominions of their friend Philibert II and joined him.

None but God could stop the escalation then, and His Providence did not move: forced by these goings-on, the Marquis called for the conscription of other 5.000 soldiers on May 6, adding them to the existing forces that amount to 11.000 men. As shining ray in the dark, Federigo II birth on May 17 arrived to make the Marquis’ wish for a son coming true after previous daughters. The good news had been predicted by a nun, Suor Osanna, who had told Isabella that her prayers had been heard in Heavens. The Marchioness took the splendid cradle that her father had sent for his first grandchild, but which she had refused to let her daughters use. Isabella and Francesco II delighted greatly for the birth, but the troubled state of Italy deprived the boy of a more noble reception: Isabella’s relatives and friends were not able to cross the province of Romagna, where the first skirmishes among Venetians and Cesare Borgia were happening, to reach Mantua.

On May 27, the plot came to an end: in the presence of the most illustrious personalities of the Marquisate, Francesco II received Milanese ambassador Giuliano Silliano and told him to leave Mantua and pass on Ludovico the Moor the DECLARATION OF WAR, adducting the reason of incessant threats of Milanese armies fighting against the troops of the Papal State towards Mantuan lands and traffics. The conscription of supplementary forces was not yet completed and Francesco II sent out Cosme, that for paradox was among the condottieres the most reluctant to go to war, with all the cavalry – almost 3.000 knights – as a vanguard for the following infantry, in order to seize the surroundings of Milan and prepare the field for the subsequent siege. But on June 7, the small vanguard came in touch with the bulk of Milanese army: over 10.000 men, followed by other 9.000 young reserves met Cosme near Bergamo, nearly half way the distance from Mantua to Milan. Something with the exploring activity has gone bad and our knights have not been able to avoid themselves to be encircled by the enemy. The outcome of the battle of Bergamo has been disastrous for the army of Cosme, who died during the fight. A great part of the vanguard was massacred and the remaining imprisoned. Few dozens of knights managed to come back home to report the defeat to the Marquis that was on the way to mingle himself in the scrum with the bulk of his infantry and that received from Rome the honour of being appointed Standard Bearer of the Church because of fighting against the same enemy. Some hours after this meeting, a legacy from Milan brought a message of the felon Ludovico asking for a tribute of 13 ducats, probably feeling the chance of convincing Francesco II, after the heavy loss of his cavalry, to accept peace and change side. But Francesco II, regardless of present difficulties, refused this sort of scorning settlement.

Sytass, Storey, I will post tomorrow an updated map of Italy at the beginning of 1500.