Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 9 - It's a rich man's world...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks great. Though I hope that non european trade nodes will be of similar importance as venice (timbuktu and nanjing come to mind)

"paying for fleet-basing rights"

Was this mentioned previously?

Very very cool.

Are transit hubs something that a merchant must occupy to keep established or once the merchant builds it he/she can move on to something else?

If he wants to control the tradeflow, then yes, he must stay there.. if there is no competition though, there is no need.

Forgot to ask: trade nodes are static, but they can be added/changed by events?
If not, can they be changed by modding?

moddable.

They mentioned earlier, that "Frankfurt", "Gibraltar" and those nodes are not actually located in a specific province. On the map it displays them on specific provinces, but actually, these names refer to an entire area around those provinces. Who owns the name-giving province, does not matter so much. You might now own Frankfurt province, but still control 99% of the trade in the Frankfurt node because you just are that awesome.

So it's a bit like the CoT areas in EU3, but the CoT does not exist any more, it's just a disembodied set of numbers for a specific area.

yeah..

Sounds great. Are trade nodes static like the trade routes?

Also, in the screenshot, what is this funny looking green hat symbolising that's up there with the stability, manpower and gold?

Normandy is not a monarchy :p

Great diary this weak, sir.

EU3 is my favourite game of all time. My only major criticism of it is that the domestic gameplay was really weak. There was never anything for the player to do really other than go to war and prepare to go to war. (Victoria II is the only PI game with really strong domestic gameplay, I think.) This trade system makes it seem like I'll be able to constantly occupy myself while playing the game without having to blob all over the world. I'm really excited about this new trade system!

The only real question is that if I have a wealthy trade empire, what am I going to spend all of that money on? More ships? Buying armies over my force limit? Buildings seem to be attached to Monarch Points now, I think, so I'm wondering if my trade empire will just be accumulating money for the sake of it with nothing to spend it on after a while.

Sounds like the new system will make trade far more interesting than just selecting the most profitable area and hoping for monopolies!

I'd be interested to know how much of an impact the stats of individual merchants can have on a state's trade.

For example, Venice starts with a 50% advantage in merchants over other government types, but what if those three merchants had fairly average states? Or to look at this another way, if I were playing as a state that didn't do particularly well in terms of trade (eg Scotland), but then got a very highly rated merchant, would this provide a noticable jump in trade income?

Also have to add that the map looks absolutely gorgeous, gets better every week. I'm sure I speak for many readers when I say we would be happy to see more screenshots every week!

The diary would have been much clearer had you provided a screenshot for Alexandria-Venice-Frankfurt route, as that was the one you had written about...

I have a question though: How is the value of trade coming in and going out determined?

I will take an example here:

You have China as starting point, and, lets say Germany as end point. So, now, to transfer goods from, say Shanghai to Lubek, you will have 2 different routes:

1 Route goes through South China sea around Indian subcontinent into Red sea, through Egypt, Mediterranean, Venice and to Germany

2nd Route goes via the Silk trade route into Eastern Europe and from there to Germany.

So, how do you decide how much money flows through route A and how much money through route B?

This is awesome, not only does it make me want to buy the game, but also a round of drinks for the team making this game.

How will this play out with naval limits? Venice has a limit of like 30 ships, if they need 10 light ones to secure their trade interests and 10 to transport troops they are left with a very tiny battle fleet to challenge anyone production based economy in the region .

How will this play out with naval limits? Venice has a limit of like 30 ships, if they need 10 light ones to secure their trade interests and 10 to transport troops they are left with a very tiny battle fleet to challenge anyone production based economy in the region .

forcelimit calculation have changed a fair bit.. merchants increase naval force limits

Looks awesome, I'm not sure i understand the part about sending ships on trade missions though. Is that a one off mission or do the ships travel back and forth between their home port and the trade node you want influence in until recalled?

EDIT: Also, do the merchants travel in the ships or is that completely separate?