Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 9 - It's a rich man's world...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apart from Constantinople/Istanbul it wasn't the ports that were valuable though, ships didn't need to dock to pay the toll.
In the case of the Sound Toll ships actually had to dock in Elsinore - I don't know if they could also dock in Helsingborg - to pay the toll; if they didn't dock cannons from both sides of the Sound would shoot at them. But you are right that Elsinore wasn't important because of the port; it was important because of the location.

A question for the devs regarding the trade system: Will a suzerain get some portion of his vassals trade income?

I'm wondering if there will be some incentive for large continental empires (eg. The OE) to husband the existence of microscopic trade nations (eg. Ragusa).

So with this new trade system is it possible for example as Timurids/Mughals,
conquer large parts of the silk road and use piracy and any other means to make the sea route
around the tip of africa less inviting to use? :)

Last edited:
I expect China to have some mighty trade nerf built into its default form of government. Although even with their disdain for trade they did manage to accumulate a hell of a lot of bullion just by controlling the means of production.

Actually, the accumulated bullion because they wanted bullion (a huge market economy, by the standards of the time, that was monetizing and they demanded bullion).

Belated question, I know, but it just occurred to me that Japan and China had their trade restricted to one or two ports for foreigners. Does Paradox plans to offer such countries an option to do so, like restricting trade to one or two nodes in their country, and possibly give European countries a casus belli to force ports open? While such moves to force ports open didn't really happen until after EU3 timeframe, I don't see why it can't happen earlier than that.

This is merely a cosmetic suggestion, but the traderoute from "North Sea" to "Lübeck" would be more plausible if it went by sea north of Jutland and south through the danish straits. Right now it appears on screenshots as if this route crosses Jutland west to east by land - and thats just silly :)

In the case of the Sound Toll ships actually had to dock in Elsinore - I don't know if they could also dock in Helsingborg - to pay the toll; if they didn't dock cannons from both sides of the Sound would shoot at them. But you are right that Elsinore wasn't important because of the port; it was important because of the location.
I think all the ships docked in Elsinore (Helsingør in Danish) and it's probably one of the reasons the Sound Toll still continued after the loss of Skåne. In 1672 Helsingør had actually grown into being the third biggest town in Denmark, not to forget it's also where Kronborg is located, one of the most important Renaissance Castles in Northern Europe! :)