• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack

A Portrait Mod - Performing CPR on vanilla Portraits to improve your CKII experience!
CPR IS INCLUDED IN THE HIP INSTALLER

No more Arab Portraits everywhere.

What is CPR?

CPR (Cultures and Portraits Revamp) is a portrait mod that improves the character graphics of several cultures as well as adds many new portrait sets using mostly vanilla material. It fills in the gap between smaller portrait mods such as the Portrait Realignment Pack that fix things but don't add a lot of new material, and big portrait mods such as Crakd's stuff and BLC that has entirely new art assets to create new portrait styles. CPR isn’t meant to be 100% accurate - only more accurate than vanilla, and it also isn’t meant to be a large mod - it only adds a little bit to improve CKII’s flavor. All portrait DLCs, including Rajahs of India, are REQUIRED for CPR. If you do not have all of these DLCs, DO NOT install CPR in the installer!

OUTDATED:
CPR also includes several customization options for you to further customize your CPR experience. Don’t like the mediterranean portraits, but like the rest of the mod, for instance? Just use one of the customization options to make all European mediterranean cultures use the Western portraits instead. Compatches are also provided for Project Balance, SWMH/PB+SWMH, and CKII+.

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome. Feel free to use CPR or parts of it in your mod, and though it is not required, it is highly recommended that you credit me as part of modding protocol.

Installation

To install, simply unzip the mod into your mod folder. Further instructions on compatching and customization options are included in their respective folders.

Features

Currently, new portrait sets include the following:

Afghangfx: for Afghans, Balochs, Sindhis, Punjabis, combining a Persian appearance with Indian clothing and hair and Turkish beards
Alangfx: for Alans, combining a Mediterranean appearance with Russian clothes, Mongol headgear, and Russian/Christian Norse hair
Balticgfx: for Balts; combining a Western appearance with Russian/Norse hair and Norse clothes
Berbergfx: for Muslim East Africans; combining an African appearance with Muslim clothing
Bohemiangfx: for Bohemians and Croatians; combining a Western appearance with Russian clothes and beards and Christian Norse hair
Bretongfx: for Bretons and Welsh; combining a Celtic appearance and clothes with Christian Norse hair and Western beards and headgear
Centralasiangfx: for Uighurs, Kirgiz, and Karluks, combining a Mongol appearance with Turkish clothing
Crimeangothicgfx: for Crimean Goths, combining a Norse appearance with Christian Norse/Celtic hair, Celtic beards, Russian clothing, and Byzantine headgear
Ethiopiangfx: for Christian East Africans; combining an African appearance with Byzantine clothes and Muslim beards
Hungariangfx: for Hungarians, combining a Russian appearance with Turkish clothing if pagan, and Russian clothing and Western headgear if non-pagan
Norsegaelgfx: for Norsegaels and Norsebritons, combining a Norse appearance with Celtic clothing
Persiangfx: for Iranians and Levantine Arabs; combining a Mediterranean appearance and Muslim hair/clothes
Saxongfx: for Saxons; combining a Western appearance with Christian Norse hair and clothes and Celtic beards and headgear
Siberiangfx: for Khanty and Samoyeds; combining a Mongol appearance with Norse clothes
Sogdiangfx: for Sogdians, Tajiks, and Tocharians combining a Persian appearance with Turkish clothing and hair
Steppegfx: for Pechenegs, Avars, and Khazars, combining a Euro-Mongol appearance with Turkish clothing
Turkishgfx: Turks and Avars; combining a Mediterranean appearance, Mongol hair, and Muslim clothes if non-Pagan, and Mediterranean appearance, Russian hair, Mongol beards and clothes if Pagan
Ugricgfx: for Finno-Ugrics (except Samoyeds and Komi); combining a Russian appearance with Mongol hair and Norse clothes
Westernslavicgfx: for West Slavs, South Slavs, and Magyars (except Bohemians); combining a Russian appearance with Western clothing

Other features include:
- Customization options: don't like something? You might be able to change it to suit your tastes with the click of a button!
- New optional Backgrounds for various Mediterranean and Celtic cultures
- Improved Mediterranean portraits, courtesy of GeorgAfLuckba and Velorian
- Orthodox priests will always have large beards
- Increased chance of having beards for characters with the Byzantine, East Slavic, and Steppe graphical culture types
- Increased variety of hair colors for Latin, Iberian, Siculo-Arabic, and Byzantine characters
- Tajik, Alan, Udmurt characters can now have steppe backgrounds
- Non-Muslim Iberian characters can now have Muslim interior backgrounds
- Cumans and Pechenegs can now have the Mongol camp backgrounds
- Mediterranean portraits now use Western beards
- More hair color variation for Mediterranean portraits
- Pechenegs and Normans less likely to have facial hair
- Changed prerequisites for getting various backgrounds to also factor in culture and not just religion (so Arabs can still get deserts even if they're not Muslim, for instance)
- And a lot more!

Screenshots - Portraits
(Please note that some of these might be outdated)

Orthodox Beards (Orthodox Priests always have beards!)
4BcFV.jpg

Persiangfx (Persians, Kurds, Levantine Arabs)
83bFkrU.jpg

Turkishgfx for Pagans (Turks, Avars)
msn3gJO.jpg

Turkishgfx for non-Pagans (Turks, Avars)
OUAN5OK.jpg

Berbergfx (East Africans)
qgfyFjW.jpg

Centralasiangfx (Used for none, though used in VIET)
3CKKO.jpg

Steppegfx (Cumans, Pechenegs, Bolghars, Khazars)
eEhBxyN.jpg

Westernslavicgfx (Western Slavs, Southern Slavs, and Magyars except Bohemians and Bulgarians
rl3bt.jpg

Balticgfx (Balts)
5smfmuW.jpg

Ugricgfx (Finno-Ugrics except Samoyeds)
mSTOFS5.jpg

Siberiangfx(Samoyeds)
Ro1KiEC.jpg

Saxongfx (Saxons)
fcpYQCp.jpg

Bretongfx (Welsh, Bretons)
DwGfvta.jpg

Bohemiangfx (Bohemians, Croatians)
lqvREid.jpg

Ethiopiangfx (Ethiopians)
JpoCu0B.jpg

Alangfx (Alans)
rH2gRaO.jpg

Guanche (Used in VIET)
CfMrejE.jpg

Sogdiangfx (Sogdians, Tajiks, etc., unused in vanilla CPR)

Centralasiangfx (Kirghiz, Karluks, etc.)

Afghangfx (NW Indians, Afghans, Balochs)

Steppegfx (Pechenegs, Khazars, Avars, Bolghars)

Crimeangothicgfx (Crimean Goths, unused in vanilla CPR)

Hungariangfx (Hungarians)

Norsegaelgfx (Norsegaels, Norsebritons, unused in vanilla CPR)

Screeshots - Portrait Backgrounds

Celtic 1 and 2 - see Bretongfx above

Iberian
ycHSXku.jpg

Italian
9TbbfSF.jpg

Mediterranean
lqU6ymC.jpg

Last edited:
OUTDATED

FAQ
Does CPR require any DLC?

CPR requires all portrait DLCs, and the HIP installer will not let you install CPR if you do not have all the required DLCs. This only includes DLCs that purely adds in portrait art, and not gameplay DLCs that happen to also include portrait content such as Rajahs of India or Sunset Invasion. Thus, the required DLCs are:

- Mongol portraits
- African portraits
- Russian portraits
- Mediterranean/Greek portraits
- Norse portraits
- Celtic portraits
- Turkish portraits
- Persian portraits
- Early Western clothing
- Early Eastern clothing
- Iberian portraits

Can you add X portrait set to CPR?

Maybe. Feel free to make suggestions - which culture the portrait set is for, what combination of vanilla or DLC portrait material would be used, etc. If you can provide pictures or depictions of the people in question, that would be especially useful.

What about mod compatibility?

CPR is included in HIP, so it is compatible with all the other HIP mods. It is not compatible with any other big mods like CKII+, though it has been integrated into BLG.

Can I use something in your mod for my mod?

Yes! Feel free to do so; credit would be appreciated. If you can, please tell me exactly what you wish to borrow from my mod - this is because 1) I can try to better help you with integrating if you have issues, and 2) just in case you’re borrowing something that I borrowed from something else, I can tell you who you should really be giving credit to.

What are the custom portrait sets? How do I use them?

Custom portrait sets are generally unused in game, but provided for the player in case they don't like the existing portraits. If you want a certain combination, feel free to make a request in the CPR thread! Currently the following portrait sets are available:
- chinesegfx (Azn): Asian appearance with East Asian clothes and hair
- commiegfx (Commie): Western appearance with Russian clothes and hair
- kpopgfx (kpop): Mongol appearance with Persian clothes and hair
- otakugfx (Otaku): Celtic appearance with East Asian clothes and hair
- silkroadgfx (silkroadculture): Mongol appearance with Arab clothes and hair
- urzhailculturegfx (Urzhailian): Western appearance with Greek clothes and hair

Here are instructions on how to use them (instructions are also provided in the HIP download):
There are two easy ways to use the custom portrait sets (there are in fact other ways, but these two are simple). Note that if you replacement method, you have to do this every time you install a new version of HIP.

For example's sake, the instructions will use urzhailculturegfx as our example, where we want use it to replace the existing Greek portraits (byzantinegfx).

Before you begin, ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP OF YOUR FILES!

Ruler Designer Method
1. When you start a new game, ruler design a character
2. In the first ruler designer screen, change the ethnicity of your character to the desired one, for instance, Urzhailian for urzhailculture.
3. And voila, you're done. Unfortunately, only you will have this new appearance, and not anyone else; however, this is the safest method not requiring you to mess with the code.

Culture Replacement Method:
1. Go to "mod\Historical Immersion Project\common\cultures" and open up the relevant culture file(s) with notepad++, notepad, or a similar program. Usually this is "00_cultures.txt" though depending on your mod combos there may be other text files you'll have to look for.
2. Since we're replacing byzantinegfx, find every instance of "byzantinegfx" and replace it with "urzhailculturegfx".
3. And voila, you're done. Every culture you've replaced will now use urzhailculturegfx.

Notes:
- You can follow these instructions to replace any portrait sets with other ones.
- If you use the ruler designer method, remember that the clothing you wear is dependent on your actual culture, not your ethnicity. So if you design a ruler with Ethiopian ethnicity but Persian culture, he will wear Persian clothes even though he has Ethiopian looks and hair.
- You could in theory also ruler design characters of the custom cultures, though they have no features so I dunno why you'd do that other for the lulz.

Credits

- PI and the original game artists for providing most of the stuff I use
- Sleight of Hand for being one of the original co-founders of this mod, though he has now since moved on to other matters, sadly
- StonetheCrow for teaching us how combining character graphics was possible in the first place, and Shaytana and CrackedToothGrin in turn for showing him the tricks
- GeorgALuckba and Velorian for the improved mediterranean portraits
- Peuri for the Cuman portrait set from the Little Portrait mini-mod
- iron0037 for figuring out christian_portraits applies to Pagans vs. non-Pagans, not just Pagans vs. Christians
- Greek Strategos for suggestions and feedback
- AstroCat for maintaining unofficial versions of CPR in my absence, and throwing in some fixes and tweaks
- Everyone else for suggestions and feedback
- You, dear player, for downloading this mod

Last edited:
for your info ... Almoraves not black skine !!! this must around afarica.. close to egypt and somewhere in north afarica !! not all !!!
Thank you .. and your mod will be great for us ...

All thanks should go to Shaytana and CrackdToothgrin, not me, they figured out how to master this art ages ago. I am merely a lowly coder with no skills at art.

As for this mod, looking good! I would continue to keep it light-weight, not only because competition with Better Looking Characters might be futile, but also because it will serve well for people with older computers if it only uses art that is already in the game. That way the game's memory footprint will not increase.

For cultures specifically, how about the finnish-ugric people in the east? Personally I tried to give them mongol hair and beards to differentiate them from western society, but, not even accounting for graphical bugs that will occur that way, I'm no expert on finnish stuff...

for your info ... Almoraves not black skine !!! this must around afarica.. close to egypt and somewhere in north afarica !! not all !!!
Thank you .. and your mod will be great for us ...

Sleight of Hand and I are aware that there's considerable diversity of racial features among the North African population. However, we agreed to portray the Berbers as more African-looking for several reasons. 1) It looks cool. 2) Many Berber groups, particularly to the south, do look African. 3) There's no way of having a culture be able to have facial features drawing from African, Middle Eastern, and European portrait sets (which would be my ideal representation of the Berbers) without doing some heavy workload, and this mod isn't here for that. In other words, we could only choose to portray the Berbers as one or another, and we both agreed this was the best and most interesting option.

All thanks should go to Shaytana and CrackdToothgrin, not me, they figured out how to master this art ages ago. I am merely a lowly coder with no skills at art.

I see! But you still showed us how to do it, so you'll get credit along with them. ;)

As for this mod, looking good! I would continue to keep it light-weight, not only because competition with Better Looking Characters might be futile, but also because it will serve well for people with older computers if it only uses art that is already in the game. That way the game's memory footprint will not increase.

Yeah, this is just meant to be a small mod for those who wish to use it, and also for Sleight of Hand to use in his mod.

For cultures specifically, how about the finnish-ugric people in the east? Personally I tried to give them mongol hair and beards to differentiate them from western society, but, not even accounting for graphical bugs that will occur that way, I'm no expert on finnish stuff...

For a long time now I've been thinking of how to divide the Komi culture up, because I feel like they occupy too large an area dominated by various different groups. I've been trying in vain to look up information about names for another finnish-ugric culture, but haven't come up with anything (yet).

I'll see what I can do by mixing things around. Of course I can't guarantee anything will work.

At the least, I would say maybe give the Komi, similarly to the Bulgars (and Alans, perhaps?), the Mongol clothing. I'm not sure how accurate that is, though.

I've updated the screenshots with some pics of the Bulgars/Alans/Komi graphics set - thoughts? I actually think they're the best looking out of all the stuff I've made so far.

Anyhow, I found out that the western female hair didn't really match well with the mongol female hats (hair was sticking out of the hats, etc.), so I experimented a bit and found that changing the male hair and beards and female hair from Western to that of the Mongols' worked much better. Thankfully the faces and hair/beards work pretty well, as you can see from the screenshots. I also tried giving the Andalusians the Muslim beards to see how that turned out, but it doesn't seem to fit the Western faces as well, unfortunately (although those that did looked pretty badass).

As indicated before, I'm also thinking of adding some sort of culture to the north of the Caspian, east of the Bulgars, in order to split the Komi in two. Unfortunately I don't know what to do right now, so ignoring that, hopefully I'll have something up tonight if all goes well!

Awesome stuff indeed, cybrxkhan. I've been waiting to see what you'd come up with. :)

By the way, I strongly suggest you use imgur for your screenshots. It's much faster and more ergonomic than Mediafire.

I love your changes to the Berbers and Alans/Bulgars in particular. Very nice (but simple) little touches that seem to really improve the way they look.

Great work. I will include them in the next update, which I'll upload later today. I've revised the cultural/religious setup in Persia and the Levant, and I am very tempted to add Pashtun culture for the reasons we've discussed before. It's quite a simple change that would certainly add flavor and a degree of accuracy (I agree with you that the single Persian culture is too large) without substantially affecting balance, which is very much my maxim for adding/changing things.

Finally uploaded! Download link is at the top of the first post. Also put in several new screenshots. I'm very happy with the results, and hope this mod will be of use to some modders out there.

Feedback and suggestions and bug/issue reports are welcome. I also put a chunk of text in the second post explaining some of my choices for cultures and portrait sets, so if you want to make any suggestions/feedback I humbly request you browse through that first.

I've revised the cultural/religious setup in Persia and the Levant, and I am very tempted to add Pashtun culture for the reasons we've discussed before. It's quite a simple change that would certainly add flavor and a degree of accuracy (I agree with you that the single Persian culture is too large) without substantially affecting balance, which is very much my maxim for adding/changing things.

Absolutely. While I suppose I am a bit more lenient with adding cultures in this mod compared to yours, I still also agree with your maxim in terms of this mod (and also my flavor mod I'm working on right now), so I probably won't add too many cultures after what I already got, if any at all.

For this mod I'm thinking of adding one more Persian culture in the northeast later on, but I'll have to think about that. I think splitting up Persia is fine partly because for most of the game the Persian cultural group is ruled over by other culture groups, so at the minimum it doesn't really effect the political setup.

Awesome work!

I've updated my mod with the relevant changes from here (I haven't split Komi yet, though I will look into it when I get time) and added a link to this mod to my forum signature for you. :)

I'll say thank you once again for letting me use your (our? mine? yes, mine) portrait changes in the SoH mod. Very kind of you, cybrxkhan.

(I really should consider doing proper change logs...)

Awesome work!

I've updated my mod with the relevant changes from here (I haven't split Komi yet, though I will look into it when I get time) and added a link to this mod to my forum signature for you. :)

I'll say thank you once again for letting me use your (our? mine? yes, mine) portrait changes in the SoH mod. Very kind of you, cybrxkhan.

If it weren't for you I wouldn't have done this in the first place, so you deserve some credit too. Also since I basically stole your Berber/Nubian/Bulgar set-up (though I did do a few tweaks here and there).

As for splitting the Komi, I suppose it isn't 100% necessary since that region of the game is sort of... there. But it is a nice flavor change if you don't like that part of the world getting lumped together as Komi.

(I really should consider doing proper change logs...)

Maybe. I think your mod's list of features is getting big enough?

Anyhow, my next order of business is to figure out how to put in a NE Iranian group. I'm also experimenting in trying to make a central Asian portrait for the Pashtuns and said NE Iranian group, but haven't come up with anything adequate yet (I tried giving the Mongol faces the Muslim hair and beards, which worked except that the beards were extremely off... so I might have them have Mongol beards and mustaches, but we'll see). Any other suggestions for portrait sets are welcome, so long as it's just rearranging vanilla material, of course.

Very nice mini mod mate...I will check it out for sure...Is it possible to use it alongside with P.B???
Keep up the good work...

For the next version I'm also thinking of including several improved names lists for several cultures, such as one for the Scots (I believe SoH already has something for that... even though I like having Scots having English names since it's easier for me to read, it isn't as interesting in terms of flavor).

Very nice mini mod mate...I will check it out for sure...Is it possible to use it alongside with P.B???
Keep up the good work...

Currently, no. I do intend to make a PB compatible version (that will also include the Somali) very soon. Unfortunately, since Meneth just released a new version of PB, I won't work on a compatible version for a day or two or three (while I'm playing with PB, of course).

As a side note, something I never figured out that some of you hopefully can help me answer - how does load order for mods work? Is it by alphabetical order?

how does load order for mods work? Is it by alphabetical order?

Not entirely certain, but I think so.

I've just finished another new portrait set type, centralasian.gfx, with screenshots are below - it's basically a Mongol base, western beards (muslim beards don't match up well with Mongol faces), and muslim hair and clothing.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated! (Please? :) )

In particular, I'm not sure what culture these would be appropriate for - when I was testing them I had them for the Pashtun culture, but then I realized they looked a bit too Asian for the Pashtun, so I might use them for the as-of-yet-unnamed eastern Iranian/Turkic culture I'm planning on having. On the other hand, do you guys think this portrait set would be appropriate for the Turks themselves? The problem though is that this set does lean rather towards the Asian side, which would be problematic trying to represent the genetic diversity of the Turks (if I remember correctly) so I might see if I can try to make them have some more variation in hair color and the like. I'm thinking they might even work for Persian in general, based on medieval artwork depicting the Persians.

Also, notice that a couple of the people there have colorful eyes (i.e. like Europeans). I thought it was a nice touch.

- Changes and tweaks to the Celtic, Scandinavian, Finnish, Saxon, English, Cuman, and Mongol name lists
Just on this point in particular, I can give you reworked versions of all of the European cultures you mention here; both name lists and character history files. I've already done Breton, Scots and Saxon, and I plan to re-do the three Scandinavian files this week (I did convert them all for 1.06, but this was before I knew you could compare files using Notepad++). The English file is much larger, but if you're interested then I'd be happy to do it and then we can both use it. There's a number of trait tweaks I'd like to make as well, particularly for the Plantagenets, who are quite neglected for such an important dynasty.

I'll do the Norman file, too, seeing as it links with the English one and I'm unhappy with the mix of Italian and English names for the Norman Sicilian families.

Update: the new version is almost finished. I've decided to add a Tajik culture as a catch-all Iranian culture for NE Iran. It isn't the most well-done of all the cultures in my opinion, but I think it's important enough - the impression I've been getting from research is that Tajiks are already beginning to emerge as a distinct group from this time to some degree, so it should be fine. The Tajiks will share the central Asian portrait set with the Pashtuns (the one showcased in my previous post).

Additionally, the next version will also include an optional add-on that will add in one (fictional) Udmurt-ruled county and one (fictional) Tajik-ruled county to the history files so that if players want those two cultures to have a better chance of surviving, or if they want to play those two cultures themselves without using ruler designer.

I think I'll start work on a PB-compatible version (which will also include as a bonus the Somali and Mossi cultures) once Meneth gets the new version of PB out.

Just on this point in particular, I can give you reworked versions of all of the European cultures you mention here; both name lists and character history files. I've already done Breton, Scots and Saxon, and I plan to re-do the three Scandinavian files this week (I did convert them all for 1.06, but this was before I knew you could compare files using Notepad++). The English file is much larger, but if you're interested then I'd be happy to do it and then we can both use it. There's a number of trait tweaks I'd like to make as well, particularly for the Plantagenets, who are quite neglected for such an important dynasty.

I'll do the Norman file, too, seeing as it links with the English one and I'm unhappy with the mix of Italian and English names for the Norman Sicilian families.

Name lists sound good too. I'll take them all! As for Norman, yeah, it's kind of messy. That's why hopefully Meneth will be able to complete his glorious Sicily melting pot culture soon.

As for trait tweaks, I think I'll leave them out of this mini-mod. I just want to focus on adding new cultures and portraits. HOWEVER, I would like to steal them for my mod-in-progress (since I'm going to tweak a few other characters there also, anyways), so yes I'd like to steal them anwaysy.

Is this mod usable without the mongol gfx DLC?

Currently I don't think it will work. However I don't think it's that hard to bypass the requirements for mongol and african gfx DLCs and for the next version I will basically add a second_graphic_culture to all the new graphic cultures (what I *think* that does is that it acts as a backup graphical culture if the first isn't available and/or doesn't work), or, failing that, will simply release a version with all the incompatible gfxs replaced with vanilla ones.

If you can wait maybe until the weekend, hopefully - I'll wait to see if SoH can whip up some nice name lists for me to steal, as he mentioned in his earlier posts.